What Is The Best Genesect Set?

• Total voters

With Genesect being the most used pokemon in the OverUsed tier im curious to hear the communities view on what actually is regarded as generally the best set. I have used and thoroughly exhausted almost every Genesect set and I personally have custom versions to fit in with my teams, however the sets below are generally the "main" sets. This is mainly just to see what kind of Genesect people run not necessarily the movesets.

So this is a poll, and I will list the "main sets" below. However feel free to post sets below that you are trying, testing, or tested, and please tell me how you support that Genesect with your team!

Okay, without futher aduie,

The Choice Scarf;

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Download
Naive: 252 Speed / 204 SpA / 52 Atk
- U- Turn
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

The Choice Band;

Genesect @ Choice Band
Naive: 252 Speed / 220 Atk / 36 SpA
- U- Turn
- Iron Head
- Flamethrower
- Explosion

The Focus Sash;

Genesect @ Focus Sash
Naive: 252 Speed / 204 SpA / 52 Atk
- U- Turn
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

The Expert Belt Rock Polish;

Genesect @ Expert Belt
Naive: 252 Speed / 252 SpA / 4 SpDef
- Rock Polish
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

The Life Orb Rock Polish Set;

Genesect @ Life Orb
- Rock Polish
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

The Choice Specs Set;

Genesect @ Choice Specs
- Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

The Pure Expert Belt;

Genesect @ Expert Belt
- U-Turn
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain/ Thunderbolt/ Flash Cannon
- Ice Beam

So thats it! Leave your favourites below! Lovedisc! And complete the poll!

I've had great success with GeneScarf, reaching 1988 on PS with him at my team's core, so I'm going to go with that. Great late game cleaner and revenge killer. U-Turn is phenomenal for keeping momentum too, something which I really appreciate!

I've had great success with CS Genesect, reaching 1988 on PS with him at my team's core, so I'm going to go with that. Great late game cleaner and revenge killer.
I went for the sash set Because with wish support or other hazard prevention methods its easy to keep Gene alive, whilst Bluffing the choice scarf

Scarf is by far the most common and probably the most effective in a vacuum, but because everyone expects that other sets might be more effective right now. I would imagine if people use different sets it, Genesect would be even better since right now since you can assume scarf and be right most of the time such that a rock polish could destroy you easily by a mispredict. Or maybe that's just me.

You have to assume the genesect is choice scarf a lot of the time because it is so immediately dangerous (and common). If your opponent assumes that, it makes expertbelt set the best set. I don't like rockpolish though.

You have to assume the genesect is choice scarf a lot of the time because it is so immediately dangerous (and common). If your opponent assumes that, it makes expertbelt set the best set. I don't like rockpolish though.
Surely that works the same as the sash set then?

Focus Sash Genesect is a really inconsistent lead from my experiences with it. It's really good against opposing Genesect while you cant keep it around for later if you have a spinner alongside it but you do miss the speed that Scarf / Rock Polish sets bring. It was very effective in Dream World with Chandelure everywhere as well as Genesect lead matchups against eachother, but I really haven't had much success with it in B/W2, namely for the fact that the metagame really isn't as offensive as Dream World as there's not a lot that commonly brings Genesect down to it's Sash, meaning you can often have matches where you essentially have no Item just because you're reliant on getting OHKO'd. All of these Genesect sets have their own merit individually, but I'm very interested to hear about people's experiences with Choice Specs Genesect, as it's pretty much the only set I haven't used. Also for the Choice Band set, I'd definitely replace Flamethrower for Zen Headbutt or even Quick Attack. U-Turn still 2HKOs Ferrothorn without an atk boost from Download, while you shouldn't need to compromise your EVs to hit something that Genesect can break through otherwise.

As for my favourite Genesect set, it differs between Scarf and Expert Belt, while Rock Polish is still incredible on it's own. Honestly, you really should include an Expert Belt set with U-Turn, Flamethrower, Ice Beam and Giga Drain / Thunderbolt as that is the best set for Expert Belt imo as you can actually bluff a Choice item constantly thanks to U-Turn. Giga Drain on Genesect is excellent, especially on the Rock Polish sets. Some people think Genesect's weakness is hazards, whereas Giga Drain allows Genesect to regain some health as it is sweeping keeping it healthy while also allowing Genesect to hit a lot of it's main offensive checks a lot harder, namely Terrakion, Keldeo, Mamoswine and Rotom-W. As for the Life Orb sets, I'd strongly urge you to not use Life Orb on any Genesect set. While the extra power is appreciated, you can run the coverage to hit everything hard lessening the need for Life Orb while still not revealing your item. I think the scariest thing about Genesect is the sheer versatility of it, and that to deal with it you really need to scout the set beforehand. Life Orb gives this away on all of your sets, meaning you really only get one hit off before your opponent knows your set, whereas Scarf / Focus Sash sets can do this many times throughout a match.

I actually find Rock Polish sets very effective, simply because Scarf Genesect is by far the most popular set, forcing a lot of switches. The thing is, people usually assume Genesect is running Scarf, sometimes giving him a free Rock Polish.After RP it is really hard to stop. However, I find ScarfGene to have most utility, as it can act as revenge killer or late game finisher,something other Genesect can't.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
There should really be a pure Expert Belt set, as it is one of the most effective lures out there, and a pretty destructive set in general when used correctly. When i say Expert Belt i mean U-turn, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower / Bug Buzz / Flash Cannon.

i've seen a rock polish set with giga drain/ice beam/flamethrower as the coverage moves used to great success by a number of people. the thing with giga drain is that if you can manage to grab the +1 satk boost off download you can easily dispose of pokemon that would otherwise give genesect a lot trouble (think terrakion, sdef rotom-w). surprised this wasnt mentioned before.

lo rp is ridiculously good

you literally beat every single offensive team if you use it and have the right coverage.

Hard to say - because Scarf-ed sets are the most common, RP/EBelt sets are usually 'better' because of the surprise factor.
Genesect is so difficult to deal with that one turn guessing wrong can mean the whole game for you. Because of that I think its 'best' set is whatever your team needs.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm a big fan of the LO Rock Polish (with giga drain over thunderbolt) set. In my experience, it's a very consistent set with only a few pokemon standing in its way of a sweep. Like Alexwolf said, a pure expert belt set should be added to the list as well, since it's also a great choice

I voted for Scarf Genesect due to how metagame defining it is, though EB with U-turn + 3 special attacks is a close second in my opinion; if not equally effective. Definitely agree with shrang - use Choice Scarf if you want a good, reliable revenge killer, or use Expert Belt if you want a good wallbreaker/lure. LO Rock Polish is another good set that can be used as a late game sweeper, easily tearing through teams with hazards and the appropriate coverage move.

I'm a fan of Choice Band set and I voted it. It's incredible, U-turn hits very hard...

However, probably the best set is Choice Scarf. Genesect is a great revengekiller with its coverage move and Choice Scarf in the current metagame.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Great poll dude! Out of all the ones listed here, I'd have to say Life Orb Rock Polish. So much power, walled by hardly anything. Pretty much the reason why so many players want him banned.

I use a Mixed Genesect Scarf set. Although I wouldn't consider this the BEST set, it's my favorite. This is what it looks like.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 112 Atk / 232 SAtk / 164 Spd
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

My favorite set. OHKOs Latios with an attack boosted U-Turn, and has a chance of a OHKO on Latias as well. Iron Head is for Kyurem-B and Terrakion, and is just an awesome STAB.

You should really consider listing this set as a separate scarf set! It's very viable now with Kyurem-B in OU. Try it out sometime.

Choice scarf has to be the best in my eyes, it's incredibly versatile and is the best revenge killer/scouter in the game, and can sweep late game. Although rp lo set rips offensive teams apart...hard choice.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The answer is the answer to "which one suits your team the most?"
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Seriously though guys, this is the case with every Pokemon ever. It's akin to asking what the best Dragonite set is. There's so many good sets: the standard offensive DD can sweep after one turn of setup, CB hits really hard and has priority ExtremeSpeed, SubDD can set up with ease even to +6 and sweep with Steel-type removed, rain mixed attacker can demolish walls in rain, rain tank can take lots of hits and hit back hard with STAB Hurricane + Thunder, shuffler can shuffle teams around and spread lots of entry hazard damage, and tank can take lots of hits and hit back hard with Draco Meteor / Fire Blast / whatever. I'm using offensive DD when I want to sweep with minimal support, CB to rip stuff to pieces, SubDD to get a reliable sweep but that I'm willing to support a tiny bit more, rain sets on, well, rain teams (mixed is for offensive and tank is for bulky offense/actually was made for rain stall), and the tank set when I need something to take hits and dish them out. This is a great comparison to Genesect, as Genesect has a lot of sets that are useful for different types of teams. Now I'll compare this to Genesect directly. Genesect has the standard Choice Scarf set that is an amazing revenge killer, an Expert Belt set that has surprise factor and excellent coverage both super effectively and neutrally, a Rock Polish set that sweeps easily with minimal support, a Choice Band set that hits really hard with just brute force, and a Choice Specs set that has excellent coverage and a powerful STAB Bug Buzz (come on really Focus Sash lead Genesect just lead with the Scarf set it's one of of the best leads in the game). Choice Scarf set I'll use on a team that needs an all-purpose revenge killer such as bulky offense or balance (really it's good on most teams that aren't Deoxys-D HO but that's beside the point), Expert Belt I'll use to lure stuff in and demolish it if I need something dead and for a general good attacker, Rock Polish I'll use for a nice sweeper, Choice Band set I'll use for surprise factor and to hit really hard with STAB U-turn, and Choice Specs set I'll use when I want a dependable cleaner. It's 100% based on your team as to which Genesect is best, a poll on which Genesect set is best doesn't really achieve much.

Stone RG

Megas are broke
In my personal opinion, Scarf Gene is a waste of its incredible coverage, plus getting outsped by the most common scarfers in the meta: Terrakion and Salamence.

My vote would go to the pure E-belt set, if it was in the poll lol. But E-belt Rock Polish is a close second, the meta being as offensive as it is, 90% teams get swept if you get the download boost in SpA, btw change the T-Bolt for Giga drain, which is what most players use in the RP set, i have found a spread of 252 SpA/136 HP/120 Spd much more dangerous, since the added bulk lets you set up on defensive Politoed with nothing to fear but a burn, and even then you have to be VERY bad at predicting or you opponent really good to get stalled that way.

And you put Naive in all sets lol :]

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
In my personal opinion, Scarf Gene is a waste of its incredible coverage, plus getting outsped by the most common scarfers in the meta: Terrakion and Salamence.

My vote would go to the pure E-belt set, if it was in the poll lol. But E-belt Rock Polish is a close second, the meta being as offensive as it is, 90% teams get swept if you get the download boost in SpA, btw change the T-Bolt for Giga drain, which is what most players use in the RP set, i have found a spread of 252 SpA/136 HP/120 Spd much more dangerous, since the added bulk lets you set up on defensive Politoed with nothing to fear but a burn, and even then you have to be VERY bad at predicting or you opponent really good to get stalled that way.

And you put Naive in all sets lol :]
Agree 100% with you. The coverage is excepcional, but Genesect has 99 base speed; there are a lot of things that Genesect can only dream of revenge killing. Not to mention that fantastic coverage is still not sufficiently fantastic to do much against Volcarona, Terrakion and a bit few things.

My vote was going to be to the pure E-Belt set, but I unconsciously voted on the E-Belt Rock Polish option, not that this option is bad, of course. But my favorite option is the pure E-Belt set. It is the set that can take the most advantage of its fantastic coverage. It always get one extra kill per battle if you use him correctly. It's unexpected because the most common set is Choice Scarf, and most people feel safe sending, for example, that RP Landorus on my Thunderbolt, and as they setup Rock Polish, they get destroyed by Ice Beam. It happened a lot with me.

On my opinion Giga Drain shouldn't be used with that set unless you, for some reason, decide to use Life Orb instead of Expert Belt. Because Thunderbolt is the most powerful option against almost all Water-types, and you already have Ice Beam to destroy Ground-types. You only miss out Gastrodon, Quagsire and Swampert, all that are rare and can easily be taken out by a Ferrothorn or Celebi (or Venusaur, on sun teams) partner. With Life Orb I prefer Giga Drain because it can compensate the Life Orb recoil, but Thunderbolt is still an option that can be used against Gyarados and Tentacruel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)