VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
They aren't bad, necessarily...but Regirock is mostly outclassed by Tyranitar, Registeel is mostly outclassed by Cresselia, and Regice would be pretty good if it didn't have the worst defensive type in the game (oh hi there Rock Slide). Regigigas of course has the Slow Start problem, and usually fixing it isn't worth the effort.

none of them are particularly good except for the trolly worry seed-regigiggas strategy.
On gbu recently, I encountered someone running a similar strategy, but running Regigigas alongside skillswap Dusclops. Dusclops is way bulkier than pretty much any worry seed user, and doesn't care about receiving slow start. Not to mention, with will-o-wisp and trick room, Dusclops can play a solid supporting role.

On gbu recently, I encountered someone running a similar strategy, but running Regigigas alongside skillswap Dusclops. Dusclops is way bulkier than pretty much any worry seed user, and doesn't care about receiving slow start. Not to mention, with will-o-wisp and trick room, Dusclops can play a solid supporting role.
Yeah but Whimsicott gets Worry Seed, so it gets +1 Priority almost certainly ensuring it getting up without getting taunted.

Yeah but Whimsicott gets Worry Seed, so it gets +1 Priority almost certainly ensuring it getting up without getting taunted.
The only problem is that without a very specific niche that it can consistently provide, Whimsicott is almost dead weight.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
I have a question,can anyone ev train a scrafty with fake out,drain punch,and hi Jump kick in defense and attack?
Unless you're looking to survive a specific physical threat, Scrafty is usually better with HP EVs than Defense (and having both Drain Punch and HJK is pretty redundant). Also, since we're currently awaiting the new VGC rules before doing anything, you'll probably want to ask in this thread if you want it right away.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Yes they do, but entry hazards like Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes are hardly ever seen in VGC play.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Mostly because games are a lot faster, and there are a lot fewer switches. In an average game, if you use a hazard on the first turn you're only going to hit two Pokémon with it (less if one of their back two is immune to it). It's almost never going to be worth the turn you spend setting it up.

What are good EV Splits for calm Cresselia and modest Heatran ( with chople berry and without) in a VGC 12+ Metagame with new tutormoves etc? I saw different splits in the nuggetbridge world reports, so I´m confused atm. The Teammates atm are Hitmontop Tyranitar. And is it worth to play skill swap on Cresselia, I suggested sthg like Skill Swap/ Icy Wind/ Trick Room/ Psyshock

What are good EV Splits for calm Cresselia and modest Heatran ( with chople berry and without) in a VGC 12+ Metagame with new tutormoves etc? I saw different splits in the nuggetbridge world reports, so I´m confused atm. The Teammates atm are Hitmontop Tyranitar. And is it worth to play skill swap on Cresselia, I suggested sthg like Skill Swap/ Icy Wind/ Trick Room/ Psyshock
You should be looking more at useful spreads than "good" ones. Those top tier players that you're reading about ev their pokemons to serve different purposes. I'd suggest you do the same using a damage calculator. Decide hits you want to survive, things you want to beat, or mons you want to out-speed and then ev accordingly.

I've found entry hazards to be a pretty underrated tactic in VGC; even though it's only guaranteed to hit two Pokémon, good players do tend to switch a lot. It's especially hilarious when people switch out a focus sash'd Pokémon and then get hit with Stealth Rock before they can get back in.
Having said all that, it is so situational that there's almost always something better you could be doing with that moveslot/turn.

For cress:
252 HP / 60 Def / 20 SAtk / 176 SDef (allows it to 2HKO Terrakion / Virizion with Psyshock, survive Dark Gem Crunch from Max Attack Adamant TTar and a turn of sand, and a HItmontop's Fake Out + Volcarona's +1 Bug Buzz)

as for Heatran, use Wolfe's.

ty for the split, I´ll test it. Is that the "best" split in general for Cress or are there other usefuls for calm Cresselia? And can you give me a good Split for Chople Tran ( the Split from Wolfey is based on Sunny Day Support from Cress, so I can´t use it imo). I can´t calc splits btw cause I´ve atm only a smartphone with internet and the calcers doesn´t work there...

Okay so I woke up this morning with an idea for a new set, but I'm not sure how well it would work. I'm in the midst of studying for finals now so I don't currently have the time to test or run damage calcs, but I wanna post this anyway to see if it's worth anything. For all intents and purposes, view this set within the context of the VGC12 environment:

@

(SpecsCune)
Ability: Pressure (Water Absorb if it gets released in the near future)
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: MAYBE 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spe. Didn't put time into thinking of a true spread, but I figure max out at least one of HP or SpA, put in some Spe, and maybe some SpD
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam/Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Signal Beam/Tailwind/Protect/Sleep Talk

DETAILS:
So I noticed a rise in offensive Cresselia in Sep/Oct, so I figured maybe this would work? An offensive take on a defensive mon. It has same base Spe as Cress and much higher base SpA. Part of the point is surprise factor, since a set like this can catch Cune's usual counters off guard (and a few others off guard as well).
Hydro Pump is STAB. Ice Beam is the preferred choice, but some may opt for Icy Wind if they really want the side effect (at the cost of power). HP Grass is needed to beat down fellow Water-types who would usually stay in not sensing a threat (most notably Politoed). This gives it a shot against Rotom-W as well....although you don't want to stay in on a Specs Rotom. Scout first; if it has an Electric Gem and uses it up, then Cune can come in much more safely.
The last move is personal preference. Signal Beam is what I believe to be the best bet, as it helps Cune deal with Reuniclus, Abomasnow, and Ludicolo, who would otherwise laugh at it completely. Aboma can be outsped and I THINK 2HKOed...but stay away from scarfed ones. Tailwind and Protect can be used on the first turn, and then Suicune can switch out afterwards to bluff a non-choice set. This is kinda situational and may not be worth it...but it can screw with your opponent really badly, and Tailwind can create an advantage for your side. Sleep Talk lets Suicune absorb Spore...but being locked into ST on the turn that you wake up is a rather unsavory situation, and you lose out on a coverage move to boot.
This can potentially work because it can take on all auto-weather mons. I would pair it with an Amoonguss, who resists Thunderbolt and Grass moves, and can draw them in with Rage Powder, and cause havoc with Spore.

So...would this be a good set by any stretch of the imagination?

Okay so I woke up this morning with an idea for a new set, but I'm not sure how well it would work. I'm in the midst of studying for finals now so I don't currently have the time to test or run damage calcs, but I wanna post this anyway to see if it's worth anything. For all intents and purposes, view this set within the context of the VGC12 environment:

@

(SpecsCune)
Ability: Pressure (Water Absorb if it gets released in the near future)
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
EVs: MAYBE 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spe. Didn't put time into thinking of a true spread, but I figure max out at least one of HP or SpA, put in some Spe, and maybe some SpD
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam/Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Signal Beam/Tailwind/Protect/Sleep Talk

DETAILS:
So I noticed a rise in offensive Cresselia in Sep/Oct, so I figured maybe this would work? An offensive take on a defensive mon. It has same base Spe as Cress and much higher base SpA. Part of the point is surprise factor, since a set like this can catch Cune's usual counters off guard (and a few others off guard as well).
Hydro Pump is STAB. Ice Beam is the preferred choice, but some may opt for Icy Wind if they really want the side effect (at the cost of power). HP Grass is needed to beat down fellow Water-types who would usually stay in not sensing a threat (most notably Politoed). This gives it a shot against Rotom-W as well....although you don't want to stay in on a Specs Rotom. Scout first; if it has an Electric Gem and uses it up, then Cune can come in much more safely.
The last move is personal preference. Signal Beam is what I believe to be the best bet, as it helps Cune deal with Reuniclus, Abomasnow, and Ludicolo, who would otherwise laugh at it completely. Aboma can be outsped and I THINK 2HKOed...but stay away from scarfed ones. Tailwind and Protect can be used on the first turn, and then Suicune can switch out afterwards to bluff a non-choice set. This is kinda situational and may not be worth it...but it can screw with your opponent really badly, and Tailwind can create an advantage for your side. Sleep Talk lets Suicune absorb Spore...but being locked into ST on the turn that you wake up is a rather unsavory situation, and you lose out on a coverage move to boot.
This can potentially work because it can take on all auto-weather mons. I would pair it with an Amoonguss, who resists Thunderbolt and Grass moves, and can draw them in with Rage Powder, and cause havoc with Spore.

So...would this be a good set by any stretch of the imagination?
It sounds alright. Personally when I've used Suicune, it's always seemed to lack enough power so slapping on a pair of Choice Specs might solve that.

The main problem I can see with it is that it faces stiff competition from Specs Rotom-W. Rotom-W trades a good chunk of HP for better typing and an Earthquake immunity. Personally, whenever I throw on a water-type on to my team, I like it to be able to hit opposing water types for strong neutral or super effective damage to go toe to toe with Rain. Rotom-W does that really well with STAB Thunderbolts. I guess Suicune does it alright, but Hidden Power Grass looks pretty weak even with Specs.

And yeah, Amoonguss sounds like a good partner for it. Latios might do well alongside it by merit of its resistances for a cool anti rain core.

Hey, I´ve a new question: I saw the split 52 HP / 252 SpAtk / 204 Speed for Heatran. Can I put 4 HP EVs into Speed to outspeed other Heatrans with this split or is there anything importent move that Heatran only lives with 52 HP, with 48 HP not?

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
That would be Philly Champ bearsfan's Heatran spread. You can see how well it worked for him here, but the relevant paragraph is this one:

Matt S. said:
In terms of EV’s it’s pretty simple. 204 Speed Modest outruns max speed base 70’s, particularly Hitmontop. That means I could get a Substitute up to block a Close Combat, dropping their stats in the process. Afterwards, I would retaliate with a Heat Wave, hopefully knocking them off the field. Max Special Attack is just to hit as hard as I could, which is also the logic behind Fire Gem. The rest were dumped in HP for marginal bulk, but as I later found out, sometimes that couple of hit points made all the difference.
if you feel like you need to outspeed this particular Heatran, it doesn't look like the extra HP EVs were added for any particular reason, so go right ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)