Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If you're feeling REALLY crazy you can try Floatzel, who can hold Flame Orb without being burned thanks to Water Veil and give it away with Switcheroo. Rotom-W and Jellicent are probably your best options to spread burns though.

Hi. I currently need a standalone offensive Pokemon for my STALL team. This sad pokemon has to cover Alakazam, Reuniclus, Xatu, Espeon, and Venusaur (sun) alone. Any suggestion?

EDIT: Please no Scarf Terrakion.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would suggest Rotom-H, it seems to cover everything well. Try Specially Defensive IMO, but since you want an offensive Pokemon I would go Choice Specs. Actually another awesome Pokemon would be Volcarona assuming your stall has a spinner. You could also try a SubRoost Kyurem with some HP investment, Ice Beam, and Dragon Pulse. Hydreigon is a decent choice too. Dragonite works too, perhaps a SubDD variant would suit you best, depending on whether you have something that can beat Steel-types like Heatran or idk. You have a good few options, just pick synergy-wise and based on what other things you need a secondary check/counter to and the like.

Hi. I currently need a standalone offensive Pokemon for my STALL team. This sad pokemon has to cover Alakazam, Reuniclus, Xatu, Espeon, and Venusaur (sun) alone. Any suggestion?

Very few Pokemon can outspeed Venusaur in the sun. Choice Scarf Latios can do so but only if Venusaur runs a Modest Nature. Your best bet is to use Choice Scarf Ditto, as it can copy all the boosts from your opponent and threaten a counter sweep if an opposing Pokemon sets up. Not to mention it outspeeds regardless of speed tiers.

It minimizes confusion and foul play damage at no cost because special attackers and walls don't need their physical offence. if you hit yourself in confusion 0 atk IVs hurts less than 31.
It also reduces foul play damage from Sableye.

For your team, I would suggest some sort of dragon, most dragons can pretty well check most Venusaurs, even if they have the risk of being but to sleep, and something like scarf-Salamence can take out Alakazam and Reunicles. Choice-scarf Tyranitar works to handle all most of those threats, but loses to Alakazam. Finally choice band scizor can check just about everything there pretty well, and even counter Reuniclus, and is guaranteed to trap and kill Alakazam.

How can I be allowed to vote in suspect tests?
You need to battle on the suspect ladder currently and get a high enough ranking with a low variation. You can also do a write in submission if you feel that you can judge the metagame but have no met ranks.

@pokemon0078
Yeah, I do have a spinner. Kyurem is awesome but it lose to CM Reuniclus but Offensive QD Volcarona seems like the best choice for my team as it dents Tentacruel too. Thanks! :3

@Pillsburry
Wow, I have never thought of Ditto on stall but it might work. Gonna try it later.

@ScarfWynaut
Oh silly me forgetting Scizor exists :D According to my experience, CB Bullet Punch never OHKOes which is sad and I wanna try something new, I've been using Scizor for a really long time -___- I'll try SubDD with EQ later, thanks!

haunter

Banned deucer.

If by "cover" you mean keep in check\revenge kill, then you're definitely looking for CB Weavile. It's quite possibly the best answer to all the Pokemon you listed. If you can play smart and keep SR off the field then try Weavile.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
This sad pokemon has to cover Alakazam, Reuniclus, Xatu, Espeon, and Venusaur (sun) alone. Any suggestion?
stab bug and stab dark are the solution to most of these problems. checking venusaur in sun is a tall order though. let's see....

haunter's suggestion of weavile is actually pretty cool, not something i would think of right away. the ice shard is the biggest draw there for venusaur. means you don't have to change the weather to beat it. this is a really good suggestion if you have a way to get it in effectively.

scizor is iffy; its matchup against venusaur is not great (now that saur has giga drain, and increasingly saur are timid which means they have a tad of HP investment, you can't trust that LO recoil will push it into BP range). uturn will flatten a lot of the other things you listed though.

the first thing that came to mind with your suggestion actually was some variant of offensive tyranitar. in particular, bandtar is a classic fixture on many stall teams even into the DPP era (see: KG stall, the schwein). of course you can't exactly slap band tar onto most stall teams seeing as the weather tends to be a defining factor. you'll probably also take a crapton from a boosted venusaur if you switch in. however, played properly (ie don't blind switch into reuniclus focus blasts), it can handle the threats you listed. moreover, by changing the weather, your team will actually be capable of handling venusaur outright. if your team is compatible with sand, this is probably one of the best ways of dealing with those problems.

alkinesthetase

252+ HP fire venusaur in sun hits 564 speed, outrunning even the incredibly rare scarf tornadus-T (562 speed) and obviously any scarfer below it. if your concern involves hitting things above the 110 +1 benchmark (eg scarf latios), then max speed timidsaur could be a solution. however, max speed scarf latios (with the full speed IV) is generally the fastest thing you'll need to outrun; it only hits 525 speed so a 180+ hp fire venusaur can outrun it. the extra 76 HP/defense IVs can help insure you against certain priority like scizor bullet punches.

252+ HP fire venusaur in sun hits 564 speed, outrunning even the incredibly rare scarf tornadus-T (562 speed) and obviously any scarfer below it. if your concern involves hitting things above the 110 +1 benchmark (eg scarf latios), then max speed timidsaur could be a solution. however, max speed scarf latios (with the full speed IV) is generally the fastest thing you'll need to outrun; it only hits 525 speed so a 180+ hp fire venusaur can outrun it. the extra 76 HP/defense IVs can help insure you against certain priority like scizor bullet punches.
Thanks for the info. Also, just checking something - 252+ Cloyster after a Shell Smash hits 524, so 180+ with Venusaur still outspeeds in the sun, right?

And the extra speed would go to outrunning:
-Scarf Jolteon
-Scarf Tornadus-T
-Scarf Alakazam
-Scarf Dugtrio
-Scarf Starmie

none of which are common at all. Anything I missed?

alkinesthetase

Also, just checking something - 252+ Cloyster after a Shell Smash hits 524, so 180+ with Venusaur still outspeeds in the sun, right?
i think this one is really narrow, you might wanna check the math yourself... but i believe the answer is yes, venusaur will outspeed +2 max speed cloyster with 180+ and HP fire IV

and yeah basically the only potentially "common" things on that list are scarf tornadus-T (i think this gimmick was actually going around for a little while to kill lead genesects and what not, it is an extreme rarity right now though) and scarf starmie (scarf starmie basically exists on the logic of "THIS METAGAME IS ULTRA FAST WE NEED MOAR SPEED", which is not entirely illegitimate logic, but well it's kinda extreme lol)

oh but be advised that you don't outrun scarf jolt. it's a base 130 so it outruns you (591 speed). you can outrun modest scarfjolt but lol who the heck even runs scarf jolt

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Heatran can hit Ferrothorn and Breloom hard with STAB Fire attacks and Gliscor falls to HP Ice, although I believe some Gliscor run enough Speed to beat Heatran so you may want to pack an extra Ice move somewhere.

Heatran can hit Ferrothorn and Breloom hard with STAB Fire attacks and Gliscor falls to HP Ice, although I believe some Gliscor run enough Speed to beat Heatran so you may want to pack an extra Ice move somewhere.
I'm need a sweeper as a last Pokemon for a stall team I'm working on. Heatran is not a sweeper. It also falls to any fighting attacks Breloom has, and just dies to Gliscor's earthquake. Thanks, though.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't want to be bland and say Genesect, but I will, because Genesect handles all three with ease, grabbing SpA boosts and OHKO'ing with SE moves. Be wary of AcroGem Gliscors, though, they can OHKO you with Gem boosted Acrobatics

Heatran does well too, but like you pointed out, it can't switch in. Still, max speed outspeeds Loom and most Gliscors, and since you specify poison heal I'm guessing you have an answer to Technician already.

In general, anything with moderate speed and powerful fire attacks can tackle the three with ease. Specs Chandelure does a number on all three with even Flamethrower; Volcorona can tackle all three with Fire Blast; even EBelt Latios with Psyshock/Surf/HP Fire/Tbolt can sweep them.

What would be a good sweeper against Gliscor, Ferrothorn, and Poison Heal Breloom?
LO Mamoswine w/ Superpower isn't a true sweeper, but it can punch through teams late game, and easily covers those three. Gliscor dies horribly to Ice attacks, Ferrothorn takes 71.02 - 84.09% from the first Superpower and can be finished off with Icicle Crash/Ice Shard, Poison Heal Breloom doesn't usually run much speed and can be outsped and OHKOed with Icicle Crash.

SD Lucario with Ice Punch can also handle these three pretty easily, as can the Fire attacks mentioned above.

First time building a team of my own from scratch and I was wondering, are there any team building sites like Beldumlabs that still works (Unfortunately,I can't seem to go to Beldumlabs. Is it just me or did it go offline for a while now?)

I'm quite new to the BW2 metagame (hiatus since March) and I was wondering what would be great teammates for a Scarfed Moxiemence as an endgame sweeper. Also, would an offensive core of Standard S.M.Mence+ RP Genesect(RP,GD,IB,Fthr) work?
(As of now, I'm using Scarfed Magnezone for Steel Trapping, Sub Punch Breloom, CB Terrakion, Starmie for RS, Mamoswine w SR and Scarfed Salamence. It's a really bad physically based team(hence,genesect) and I do have a problem with sun once Terra and Starmie are out.)

I do apologize if this is a tall order and also if this post isn't in the right place (RMT section) but I don't think I've gathered enough info on this team to write up a solid RMT. Lastly, thanks in advance and GL to everyone :)

Hello all. I need some help. What is the best nature for Kyurem-B now that he's OU? I understand that "best" is subjective based off of any given team's needs, but there is usually a "top" build that works best in the majority of situations. I mostly just need to know Nature since I need to RNG the one in my game quickly to get the DNA Splicers.

I have a Lonely Kyurem, but apparently that was only viable for the Ubers builds. I'm kinda bummed about that really.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Lonely is not a bad nature at all, but in my opinion the best natures would be Hasty/Naive. The extra speed is useful for outspeeding neutral 101 and lower like Modest Gene/Landorus-I. Going mixed is great as the two strongest moves you have are Ice Beam and outrage/D Claw, while earthpower and fusion bolt give you great coverage.

Lonely is not a bad nature at all, but in my opinion the best natures would be Hasty/Naive. The extra speed is useful for outspeeding neutral 101 and lower like Modest Gene/Landorus-I. Going mixed is great as the two strongest moves you have are Ice Beam and outrage/D Claw, while earthpower and fusion bolt give you great coverage.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of Hasty vs. Naive? Also, are there any builds where Freeze Shock is viable, possibly with a Power Herb?

When using Kyurem-B with maximum speed, 252 adamant Scizor will not OHKO you after SR, regardless of your nature.
That said, Kyurem-B appreciates the extra special bulk to tank most things rain teams throw at it so I personally would choose Hasty in your case.
Edit: I forgot to mention that, should you be able to keep of any kind of entry hazards off your field, the naive one actually survives one CB-Scizor Bullet Punch. I still would go with Hasty because Kyurem is just that good against rain mons and because I wouldn't want to compete against Scizor. That's just my opinion but now we know that a Hasty one has its perks.
Freeze Shock should be disregarded in OU as most battles are too long to restrict yourself to an one trick pony. Power Herb Freeze Shock is even inferior to something awkward like Gem boosted Fusion Bolt (do NOT try this) because Fusion Bold does not become dead weight after the first use.

About steel lures: Most mons they expect to have Toxic tend to draw steel. For example, that's the only reason Blissey would ever consider another attacking move besides Seismic Toss, Fire Blast. Dragons usually are not that good because Fire Blast is pretty much expected to be in their moveset. Latias is an expection though, especially specially defensive Forretress tend to come in and stay when they don't see Life Orb recoil.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello all. I need some help. What is the best nature for Kyurem-B now that he's OU? I understand that "best" is subjective based off of any given team's needs, but there is usually a "top" build that works best in the majority of situations. I mostly just need to know Nature since I need to RNG the one in my game quickly to get the DNA Splicers.
Adamant is pretty decent since you can use the "ideal" ability for CB, and I guess Scarf set, as well as any physically based sets you would want to run in future. Careful is also a neat ability on Sub Hone Claws Kyurem, which is one of its better sets (imo Sub Hone Claws and Scarf are its best sets in OU) so I guess decide if you want to run a physically based Kyurem (pick Adamant) or specially based (you might want Hasty / Naive for that one), or a defensive one (Careful) and go from there.

What Pokemon is generally a good lure for steel types? Dragons and Latias especially come to mind, are there anything else?
Kyurem-B is always going to be your best bet, since if you lack a steel type, its OHKOing something. Dragon types are your best options, with Garchomp / Salamence / Dragonite being the fairly decent ones that lure in steel types, and can actually beat them with Fire or Ground Attacks (where Latios / Latias have to resort to the weak HP Fire). Personally, id target the actual steel type you want lured in and KOed, which makes things easier. Celebi is a fairly decent lure for Heatran and Scizor since it can nail both with HP Fire / EP, but is going to be useless vs Genesect etc etc. Perhaps decide what key steel types you want to lure in might help you decide on your lure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)