Breloom

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Honestly if you're not running bulky SD Breloom or anything outside of an offensive/Focus Sashed variant, it just needs maximum Speed despite the horrible base Speed. Without it you pretty much fall to faster Sporing Breloom, bulky Rotom-W, and some Mamoswine (who outruns with Jolly regardless). Don't let the base stats do the work for you.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Sash Breloom wants Jolly max speed to hit Rotom-W anyhow lol, since it actually comes in with its Chesto Berry (don't ask me to explain it logically, it's just that so many people actually bring Rotom-W in on Loom expecting me to spore.... so I just outspeed the bulk chesto set and Bullet Seed lol. Seeing as I played with sashloom alot, or those with techniloom too, should see that some players try to use rotom-w as spore fodder and get an extra hit (Hydro is actually a 2hko in rain)). Point being the maximum speed, jolly or adamant, is pretty much needed on every technician set.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Seconding PDC. It is kind of crazy how underrated Toxic Orb Breloom is at the moment, as everyone seems to have forgotten about him for the "new" Technician Loom. Poison Heal Loom is a fantastic rain check in this metagame, and works exceptionally well in tandem with Specially Defensive Jirachi.

In my opinion, Technician Breloom isn't much of a huge threat such as Poison Heal Breloom. Don't get me wrong, a stab, boosted mach punch coming from TechBreloom is indeed powerful, but they're so many counters such as Cresselia. At least with Poison Heal, Breloom can slowly heal its HP back when the time is right.

Seconding PDC. It is kind of crazy how underrated Toxic Orb Breloom is at the moment, as everyone seems to have forgotten about him for the "new" Technician Loom. Poison Heal Loom is a fantastic rain check in this metagame, and works exceptionally well in tandem with Specially Defensive Jirachi.

I believe Sub Punch loom is quite useful still, and can catch many people offguard expecting techniloom. But I haven't had much success with BU loom, who was quite good in BW 1 in dealing with volt turn, but I've noticed in BW 2 the presence of Tornadus T, and other fast hitters really stops its staying power. Subpunch at least has a cushion in the form of the sub, but to me BU loom isn't that effective in this meta. A bulky sub punch one can work, with little atk investment, as focus punch still hits hard even with little atk investment.

elodin

the burger
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I've been running Techniciam Loom for a long time on HO teams and it is indeed a killing machine, but his low speed just won't cut it (don't get me wrong, I know it has Mach Punch, but he still gets revenged by lots of common stuff in this meta, like Tornadus-T). And everytime I've ran Techiniciam Loom was to try to find a nice check to Water-types, but it just can't do this effectively because he has terrible defenses, fears getting burned, and has no recovery.

On the other hand, BU Breloom is still a great Water-types check, being able to defeat almost all of them 1v1. He has recovery, more bulk, and doesn't fear getting burned. Switching into water moves (especially Scald) is a quality that Poison Heal Breloom stands out as an effective option, whereas the Techiniciam Breloom takes a bad damage and fears getting burned. And in a metagame where Rain totally dominates, being able to effectively check it is a great quality that this set offers in a much more reliable way.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I've been running Techniciam Loom for a long time on HO teams and it is indeed a killing machine, but his low speed just won't cut it (don't get me wrong, I know it has Mach Punch, but he still gets revenged by lots of common stuff in this meta, like Tornadus-T). And everytime I've ran Techiniciam Loom was to try to find a nice check to Water-types, but it just can't do this effectively because he has terrible defenses, fears getting burned, and has no recovery.

On the other hand, BU Breloom is still a great Water-types check, being able to defeat almost all of them 1v1. He has recovery, more bulk, and doesn't fear getting burned. Switching into water moves (especially Scald) is a quality that Poison Heal Breloom stands out as an effective option, whereas the Techiniciam Breloom takes a bad damage and fears getting burned. And in a metagame where Rain totally dominates, being able to effectively check it is a great quality that this set offers in a much more reliable way.
For these purposes you should be running sub BU toxicroak. Kills so many rain teams it's not funny.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I've been running Techniciam Loom for a long time on HO teams and it is indeed a killing machine, but his low speed just won't cut it (don't get me wrong, I know it has Mach Punch, but he still gets revenged by lots of common stuff in this meta, like Tornadus-T).
That's a problem Low Sweep solves. Sure, you have to leave out Swords Dance to get it, but Breloom is still very strong without SD, and Ankle Sweep allows it to outspeed a very large amount of pokémon that are not immune to Ankle Sweep or to Speed drops, and Tornadus-T among them, which is so frail that:

252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom (+Atk) Low Sweep vs 0 HP/0 Def Tornadus-T: 42,14% - 49,5%
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom (+Atk) Bullet Seed vs 0 HP/0 Def Tornadus-T: 17,39% - 20,74%

With Ankle Sweep and 3-4 Bullet Seed hits, Tornadus-T is KOed before it even attacks... and this is without hazards

elodin

the burger
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
@sora13
SubBU Toxicroak cannot defeat common Pokémon in Rain, such as Jellicent. Politoed can Perish Song on its face without any fear and Tornadus-T still kills him anyway. He can't effectively switch into something that he is supposed to counter, such as Rotom-W, because he has to be cautious about Will-O-Wisp. He also takes neutral damage from Electric moves, which are the second most common attacks in Rain teams (take a Scarf Thundurus-T's Thunder as an example). And any kind of Rain team with Dugtrio makes SubBU Toxicroak useless, since something like Rotom-W can just Volt Switch on his face.

Meanwhile, Breloom can effectively switch in to all of these threats and hit them all hard in return. He also has Spore (which is practically a kill) and he can hit Water-types super-effectively with STAB. To me, Breloom is still a better Water-types and Rain check.

@Siggu
I know, the LO set with Bullet Seed / Mach Punch / Low Sweep / Spore is by far my favorite to run on Techniciam Loom. In fact, that's mainly why I used "revenged" instead of "countered", because I am aware that there are only some few stuff that can safely switch into TechLoom.

For me personally BU breloom isn't that useful, but no doubt people will have more success with it than me. I would not call it a bad set at all, but from experience I've found that the new rain threats such as tornadus and thundurus hamper its efforts. I've always preferred sub punch when using poison heal. But each to their own.

@sora13
SubBU Toxicroak cannot defeat common Pokémon in Rain, such as Jellicent. Politoed can Perish Song on its face without any fear and Tornadus-T still kills him anyway. He can't effectively switch into something that he is supposed to counter, such as Rotom-W, because he has to be cautious about Will-O-Wisp. He also takes neutral damage from Electric moves, which are the second most common attacks in Rain teams (take a Scarf Thundurus-T's Thunder as an example). And any kind of Rain team with Dugtrio makes SubBU Toxicroak useless, since something like Rotom-W can just Volt Switch on his face.

Meanwhile, Breloom can effectively switch in to all of these threats and hit them all hard in return. He also has Spore (which is practically a kill) and he can hit Water-types super-effectively with STAB. To me, Breloom is still a better Water-types and Rain check.

@Siggu
I know, the LO set with Bullet Seed / Mach Punch / Low Sweep / Spore is by far my favorite to run on Techniciam Loom. In fact, that's mainly why I used "revenged" instead of "countered", because I am aware that there are only some few stuff that can safely switch into TechLoom.
You raise some very good pioints, however, Toxicroak has it's own subtle advantages that you fail to take into account. First of all, it has dry skin, meaning it gets 18% recovery with leftovers in rain. It has a much better typing in its priority, since if either thundurus-t or Tornadus-T switches in on the sub, it is koed by 2 sucker punches and stealth rock. Breloom fears both since it cannot hit either for neutral damage with its priority. If dugtrio switches in as he bulks up, he he takes 59.23 - 70.65% from the earthquake, can drain punch followed by sucker punch to to kill it while getting recovery from drain punch and 2 rounds of dry skin + leftovers revocery. Toxicroak is able to set-up on Keldeo as well as most variants of terrakion terrakion. Breloom is also morbidly afraid of the lati twins, which toxicroak disposes easily of with sucker punch.

Each have their own advantages, but overall I prefer toxicroak's utility on most teams over breloom for the role you described. Each to his own though :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)