OU CCAT - Mark III (Laddering/Discussing - See Post #547)

Temp V1

Movin' at the speed of life and I can't slow down
Just so we have an idea where everything stands:

LO Latias 18.5
Scarf Latias 13
Altaria 6
Scarf Salamence 3
Scarf Latios 2
LO Kyurem 2
LO Celebi 1.5

The following are all sitting on 1 vote; SubRoost Kyurem, Dragonite, Alakazam, Thundurus-T, Landorus.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just so we have an idea where everything stands:

LO Latias 18
Scarf Latias 13
Altaria 6
Scarf Salamence 3
Scarf Latios 2
LO Kyurem 2
LO Celebi 1.5

The following are all sitting on 1 vote; SubRoost Kyurem, Dragonite, Alakazam, Thundurus-T, Landorus.
I checked over all of these my self, and they're all correct! Except for one: LO Latias currently has 18.5 votes because PenguinX's vote counts for 2, not 1.5 :)

alexwolf's LO Celebi
The Great Mighty Doom's LO Latias

Altaria is my baby, but it's really more of a stall mon, since it can't do a whole lot of damage outside of phazing. Maybe for another CCAT, though.

Life Orb Latias won the vote, so it's our newest edition to the CCAT. The Great Mighty Doom will receive bonus points for his contribution, and we'll now get to work on teammate #5! Here is the set for Latias that we are using:

[pimg]380[/pimg]
Latias @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power Fire
- Recover

I edited the IVs to give us an optimum Hidden Power Fire.

Now our team looks like:

Code:
[IMG]http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite_animated_front/472.gif[/IMG]
[B]Gliscor[/B] @ Toxic Orb [I]*** PenguinX[/I]
Trait: Poison Heal 
EVs: 248 HP / 24 Def / 236 Spe 
Impish Nature 
- Substitute 
- Baton Pass 
- Earthquake 
- Taunt / Toxic

[IMG]http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite_animated_front/647.gif[/IMG]
[B]Keldeo[/B] @ Leftovers [I]*** alexwolf[/I]
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Electric 

[IMG]http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite_animated_front/248.gif[/IMG]
[B]Tyranitar[/B] @ Choice Band [I]*** bubbly[/I]
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 220 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower 

[IMG]http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite_animated_front/437.gif[/IMG]
[B]Bronzong[/B] @ Leftovers [I]*** PenguinX[/I]
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
IVs: 2 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball / Toxic
- Hidden Power Ice / Toxic
- Earthquake / Toxic

[IMG]http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen5/blackwhite_animated_front/380.gif[/IMG]
[B]Latias[/B] @ Life Orb [I]*** The Great Mighty Doom[/I]
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power Fire
- Recover
Latias grants us a better answer against Keldeo, though I'd personally prefer to run Psyshock over Hidden Power Fire to take that on. However, we can decide on the fine points of the set later on when we complete the team. Rain offense is again, slightly less problematic, but problematic nonetheless. Latias is great against sun, so we have better insurance in that case. We have Stealth Rock down, so we're pretty open in terms of the last slot. A Choice Scarf user might be appreciated; alternatively, priority always works well. Whatever you nominate, please keep the goal of the team in mind!

From what I see as of now, the team is very, very weak to RP Giga Drain Genesect, but who isn't? If we can get a solid counter to that I think it will fall in place with the rest of the team quite nicely. Also, the team is still slightly weak to Rain, although it is less problematic than it once was. So a pokemon that fits into the category of beating both is

Volcarona @ Leftovers / Choice Scarf
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance / Hurricane
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Resisting all of RP Giga Drain Genesect's moves under and out of rain, Volcarona does a great job of completing the team. Volcarona loves being behind a sub, and Subpass gliscor is a great partner for it as well. The giga drain version demolishes rain, allowing for an easy sweep once a quiver dance is up. Now, if the intent for having a great choice scarfer is still needed, Volcarona can run an effective Choice Scarf set with the secondary slashes given. Hurricane is great for Scarfed Volcarona, as it can now be a threat late game vs. a lot of generic teams, while still abusing the substitute from Gliscor. With the choice scarfed version, Rain Offense becomes almost a non-existent threat, as it can deal hefty damage to the whole team quite easily.

Ehhh I can see RP Genesect causing some problems, but throwing on a scarf Volcarona to counter it? We already check it (It cant run 4 moves + Rp) and most are scarfed anyway. The way I see it, we've already checked most of the offensive/weather meta with the core of Ttar/Latias/Bronzong, so we should turn our attention to improving the team's offensive presence.

Breloom @ Fight Gem
Trait: Technician
EVs: 68 HP / 224 Atk / 212 SDef / 4 Spd
Nature: Adamant
-Spore
-Bullet Seed
-Swords Dance
-Mach Punch

What Loom does for us:
-Creates a One-Two fighting punch with Keldeo. Most teams rely on one Psychic type to check the Fighting types in the meta (think the Lati twins) and with BandTar's pursuit, we can use one Fighting to lure the check of the other, which would be killed by TTar.
-Gives us powerful priority. At 2+ or even unboosted, Fight Gem boosted Mach Punch puts a big dent in nearly every offensive pokemon.
-Uses Subpasses. Behind a sub from Gliscor, Breloom can either boost, put something to sleep, or attack with a strong Bullet Seed, or even Mach Punch. This works well because Gliscor often lures in Water types who hate Bullet Seed.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I nominate Choice Scarf Jirachi!

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~Iron Head
~Ice Punch
~Fire Punch
~U-turn

Jirachi does a number of things that our team needs. First of all, it provides us a reliable revenge killer that uses its great speed and coverage to revenge kill a number of threats, including but not limited to most Dragons, Terrakion, etc.. Jirachi also gives us a second Steel type, useful when it comes to switch into Dragon hits as while Bronzong is bulky, it has no recovery so it's not invincible. Jirachi provides us an additional answer to Tornadus-T which is a huge threat to this team at this point, definetly a huge bonus. Lastly, Jirachi gives us a reliable scout with U-turn, something that is always cool to have and that our team lacks. It is a glue that patches a lot of holes that weren't fixed in the previous part of teambuilding, making it a great option as a final Pokemon choice.

Nominating Choice Scarf Terrakion.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-scissor
- Rock Slide

This set is pretty uncommon now, but I feel like it's the best possible choice for the 6th team slot. Scarf Terrakion was chosen on the basis that this team is currently lacking in Speed, making it vulnerable to boosting sweepers such as Salamence, Dragonite and Volcarona. Relying on Bronzong to check Dragon types is far from ideal due to lacking recovery, and Keldeo cannot check Volcarona that run Giga Drain with a Life Orb. Terrakion resolves all of those issues - giving this team a fast revenge killer that can also check Genesect more reliably than Keldeo, and handle Tornadus-T once Bronzong is gone. Terrakion also has offensive synergy with the rest of the team - with Keldeo's HP [Electric] to break through Jellicent/Slowbro/Gyarados, combined with Tyranitar's Pursuit, Terrakion's primary checks can all be removed from the game, allowing it to easily sweep a weakened team later on in the match (plus it benefits from sandstorm anyway).

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
...I edited the IVs to give us an optimum Hidden Power Fire... Latias grants us a better answer against Keldeo, though I'd personally prefer to run Psyshock over Hidden Power Fire to take that on. However, we can decide on the fine points of the set later on when we complete the team. Rain offense is again, slightly less problematic, but problematic nonetheless. Latias is great against sun, so we have better insurance in that case. We have Stealth Rock down, so we're pretty open in terms of the last slot. A Choice Scarf user might be appreciated; alternatively, priority always works well. Whatever you nominate, please keep the goal of the team in mind!
Oh wow, I can't believe I forgot to include IVs >_< In regards to Psyshock, although I really like it, this team has no spinner, so it hates hazards, and without Hidden Power [Fire], Latias is complete and utter set-up fodder for Ferrothorn, no matter what the weather is. Even Specially Defensive Forretress will be able to set up in front of Latias in most situations. Hidden Power [Fire] has multiple other benefits as well: it can prevent Scizor from trapping it, it can OHKO Genesect on the switch (if you do this against standard sun then Latias can almost single-handedly take down the rest of the team), etc. Overall, I think Hidden Power [Fire] is better for this particular team, but that's just my opinion, people can choose later :)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SubCM Jirachi with Water Pulse, SubDD Gyarados and LO Starmie seem very problematic for the team. Starmie OHKOs Keldeo and Gliscor and 2HKOes Tyranitar, Latias, and Bronzong. It doesn't even need to predict as the only thing it needs to do is spam Hydro Pump if rain is up, as the only poke that isn't OHKO-2HKOed by it, is Latias, which takes 39.81 - 47.02%, meaning it is easily OHKO after one SR or LO round (or if Starmie has Ice Beam). It can easily come into Bronzong, a predicted Taunt from Gliscor, or a CM from Keldeo and start wrecking shit.

SubCM Jirachi can switch into Ttar's Stone Edge, Latias Draco Meteor, and even force out Ttar if it comes on a double switch or revenge kill. Then it can start being an annoying prick, as nothing enjoys taking Thunder/Water Pulse, and with a bit of hax it can muscle through everything.

Gyarados can set-up against Bronzong and -2 Latias, as well as scare Gliscor and Tyranitar out. At +1 it outspeeds everything, and in rain it OHKOes everything with its STABs alone.

Another threat, albeit smaller, is SD SubSalac Terrakion. If Gliscor has been weakened beforehand (+2 Stone Edge does 67.23 - 79.66% to our Gliscor), Terrakion get a clean sweep and can set-up on Tyranitar, -2 Latias, or even against Gliscor if it is weakened as EQ can't OHKO and puts it into Salac range.

So here is my nomination:

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Trick / HP Ice

Rotom-W helps a lot with our Starmie problem, as well as our Gyarados problem, which are probably the biggest problems of our team right now, imo. It provides us with a good switch in to them, as well as a good revenge killer in general. Rotom-W can also Trick its Scarf to SubCM Jirachi if it does not have a Sub up, making it easy to handle for the rest of the team. It doesn't help a lot with our SD SubSalac Terrakion issue, but this can be handled with careful play of Gliscor anyway, so i think that we are covered good enough. In the other hand SD SubRock Gem Terrakion could sweep easily if Latias was dead for some reason (Pursuit support), but Rotom-W keeps us safe. All in all a good revenge killer that can lay the hurt in a lot of rain teams that are somewhat problematic for the team, and a fast hard hitter with good coverage in general.

Other good choices would be ScarfTrick Starmie with Rapid Spin (we are somewhat Deo-D weak tbh), and Scarf Adamant Landorus-T (helps against Terrakion, revenge kills Jirachi, Gyarados, etc).

EDIT: I also believe that we should really put max Atk on Ttar, so that it can actually OHKO Deo-D, letting it set up only SR. Otherwise it will be very problematic.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Here is my nomination !

This one is meant to deal with most of the threats that have been mentionned.
It will also be a great asset for our team against the Rain Teams !
However this set wont be what you would expect at first glance.

@

252 HP / 140 Atk / 116 SpD
Sassy Nature +SpD / -Spe

-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip
-Bull Doze / Payback
-Curse

A CurseThorn !
We got stealth rock and I believe at this point we need some power on the physical side, aswell as some bulkyness and Ferrothorn provides us with great resistances and strong stabs !
Power Whip and Gyro Ball will shine in this set, Payback aswel ! Bull Doze could seem stupid along with Gyro Ball but anyway we will use Bull Doze against the targets that resist Gyro Ball so it doesn't matter if Gyro Ball lose some of its strengh against them.
For the EVs I did max the HP, then took enough Atk to kill Tornadus-T with Gyro Ball (if the Tornadus-T takes some prior damage from SR and a Life Orb Recoil).
I put the rest into SpD as our Defense will be boosted anyway. The Nature to increase Gyro Ball power.
Thanks to its immunity to Sand Storm damage, Ferrothorn fits well in this team. The Rain Teams will also have troubles hitting this monster, and I believe we have enough to deal with the Sun Teams in Latias.
Ferrothorn has alot of rooms to set-up at least one Curse, and after this, he wont die before dealing huge damage in the enemy's team. Moreover, and this is something that you should not forget when considering this nomination, this pokemon will benefit greatly from the surprise factor as the enemy wont know how to deal with this monster. For instance if he brings a spinner predicting the classic set, we can threat it or keep boosting with Curse as there is no spinner that can resist its stabs bar Forretress that can anyway not deal much in return.

Asek

Banned deucer.
Nominating Scarf Landorus-I

Landorus @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Naive
Trait: Sand Force
EV's: 252Atk/ 4SpA/ 252Spe
Earthquake/ Hidden Power [ICE]/ Stone Edge/ U-Turn

People have been forgetting about Scarf Landorus a lot lately, with the cool new Special Sheer Force variants being one of the most threatening pokemon in OU. Scarf Landorus is often unexpected and its Earthquake under sand is nothing to scoff at coming off a Sand Force + STAB boost. It's speed tier allows it to revenge kill all the pokemon that are threatening to our team atm, with Stone Edge knocking Gyarados out, and Earthquake solving our Jirachi and Sub+SD Terrakion problem. U-Turn is a great scouting move and can help get some momentum going should the need arise, and Hidden Power [ICE] lets us clear out opposing Gliscor which helps tyranitar get closer to spamming its powerful STAB moves without Gliscor being a thorn in its side. Spamming Earthquake in the end game can also end a lot of matches, as once the opposing levitating pokemon are out of the way, STAB Earthquake coming off a base 125 Attack stat is nothing to laugh at, and is great to clean up teams in the end game should our keldeo have fallen down.

Unfortunately though Landorus does compact our Ice and Water weakness, which isn't ideal at all, but its perks far outweigh its negatives and it should be definitely considered for the team!

I will once again nominate Thundurus-t

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt-switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

It may be odd that i am nominating the same pokemon again but i seriously think that this is maybe the best option for our team. Our team is pretty weak to rain teams which thundurus-t simply destroys. Thundurus-t works great together with T-tar. The volt-switch here can give us great momentum when scaring the opponents pokemon out and switching to the right pokemon that was sent against thundurus-t
Plus, thundurus-t has a decent speed, so with the scarf and great Special attack it can be considered as one of the top revenge killers and scouters.

One thing that thundurus has but the other (main) scarf pokemon dont,bar rotom, is the electric STAB which hits water super-effectively. We should bare in mind that no pokemon in our team can hit a water type with a super effective stab move. Another good thing about this pokemon is that it can surprise genesect with hp fire because all the other pokemon may have problems with it. Also the hp fire can be very useful when hitting scizor and other steel-typed pokemon.
The only pokemon that can really counter this set are lati@s and the blobs which are easily handled by the other teammates (keldeo,t-tar) which makes this pokemon fit perfectly into the team.

All in all, Thundurus-t would be a nice member in our team to fulfill the offensive role and pressure in the team along with the synergy. With the great scouting ability, power and speed it would help the team gain the momentum.
The only drawback is that it is weak to SR, but that should be neglected because it already wont be switching in and out too much as its main role is revenge killing, leading or sometimes scouting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)