Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I want to ask a question. I have seen about 3 steelixs when playing in OU, and I killed them before they could do anything. I would like to ask why the hell do people use it?

EDIT: I would also like to ask. How is stat points calculated based on base stats? I tried to find it, but i could not find any golden ratio to it.
If someone uses Steelix, it is because they are not a good team builder.

Stats are calculated according to the following formula:

HP: 10 + ((100 + (Base * 2) + EVs + IVs) * Level / 100)
Others: 5 + (((Base * 2) + EVs + IVs) * Level / 100)

So to find their stats at level 100, you take double the base stat, add the total EVs and IVs, and then add 110 for HP or 5 for any other stat.

Nature adds a x0.9, x1.0, or x1.1 multiplier to the whole thing; I think it's before adding 5, but I'm not certain.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
^ The 1.1, 1.0, or 0.9 gets applied to the final stat after you use that formula.

Stats in DP Article said:
Stat = (((2 * BaseStat + IV + (EV / 4)) * Level / 100 + 5) * Nature)
So that's the formula, if you want it sort of dumbed down, here's the specific steps:
  • do the base stat * 2
  • add the iv corresponding with the stat (0-31)
  • do the evs / 4 (0-255, always round down if you get a decimal) and add that
  • do the pokemon's level / 4 and add that result to the total you just got
  • add 5 for all stats other than HP or 10 for HP
  • if you have a neutral nature, you've got the stat. for a positive nature, multiply by 1.1 and for a hindering nature, multiply by 0.9. now you're done!
Check out the article I referenced here for some examples and further information. Thorhammer's formula does not divide the EVs by 4.

Just saying, you might want to add some links to some DP Articles in the OP, basically all questions about stats can be answered through them. There's the one I linked and a bunch by X-Act.

What are the odds of the following occurances?

*Two Ice Fang freezes in a row
*Two Draco Meteor critical hits in a row

Both have happened for me recently. ._.

Cacturne outclasses maractus on stats and have a similar stat distribution, and since maractus has not only a low speed, it also has low defenses, I only see it good as a chlorophyll or trick room user.

Now I want to ask a question. I have seen about 3 steelixs when playing in OU, and I killed them before they could do anything. I would like to ask why the hell do people use it?

EDIT: I would also like to ask. How is stat points calculated based on base stats? I tried to find it, but i could not find any golden ratio to it.
So a Sunny Day set would best suit it?

SunnyDay
Solarbeam
Drain Punch
Synthesis/Cotton Guard?

So a Sunny Day set would best suit it?
I don't want to ruin your fun but there are a buttload of Chlorophyll-Mons down in NU, almost every single one better than Maractus.
On the special side we have Exeggutor with Sleep Powder, Psychic STAB, fair bulk and a lot of SAtk for a NU mon.
On the physical side there is Leavanny with Bug STAB and Swords Dance; Sawsbuck with Normal STAB, best speed disregarding Jumpluff, a plethora of coverage options Swords Dance; Leafeon at least has fair bulk and some odd moves like Wish.
Shiftry makes both a good special sweeper and a physical sweeper, for it has Swords Dance and Nasty Plot and strong Grass and Dark STAB moves on both side.

I was tempted to suggest you using a Spike set with Maractus but soon realized that that way we turn back to Cacturne who has Spikes, too, and more. Really, Maractus is outclassed in basicly everything it is trying to accomplish.
Edit: In hindsight I would have told you to use it as a Sun-Spiker, as it is the only Mon with Chlorophyll and Spike. As expected there already has been an analysis on Smogon. At least this kind of set is unique, albeit it still sucks.

If Pokemon with No Guard uses protect 2 times in a row, will it have 100% accuracy the second time or will it still only have a 50% chance of activation?

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
*Two Ice Fang freezes in a row
*Two Draco Meteor critical hits in a row
ice fang freeze percentage is 1/10, two freezes is 1/10*1/10 = 1/100
standard critical hit rate is 1/16, two crits is 1/16*1/16 = 1/256
yeah pokemon sucks sometimes

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
How come the ou suspect test doesn't have a new thread this time?
The thread should be up soon, the round has not even officially started yet either. Soon it should begin to start, probably a few days or so. Then it will announce requirements, dates, and what the suspect is (Genesect). If you really want to know in advance you can ask Iconic for when it will be up.

How would skarmory do offensively? Seeing that it's move pool and stats allow quite a lot of variations, like.

SubSD
double dancer
Sub salac
Bulky attacker
lolweakarmor

Since it has moves like swords dance, agility, substitute, and has decent offensive stats and enough defenses to keep it alive while boosting, and STAB brave bird and iron head ( the stabs don't cover much :| )

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
How would skarmory do offensively?
its offensive stats are 80/40/70 and it has no abilities to compensate for this inferiority. that should be enough to tell you immediately that skarmory will never work as an offensive pokemon. having boosting moves doesn't really compensate for the fact that your attacks will be shit weak even when boosted, with stats like those.

You need to account for accuracy, though. Check my post above.
damn, good catch

I don't want to ruin your fun but there are a buttload of Chlorophyll-Mons down in NU, almost every single one better than Maractus.
On the special side we have Exeggutor with Sleep Powder, Psychic STAB, fair bulk and a lot of SAtk for a NU mon.
On the physical side there is Leavanny with Bug STAB and Swords Dance; Sawsbuck with Normal STAB, best speed disregarding Jumpluff, a plethora of coverage options Swords Dance; Leafeon at least has fair bulk and some odd moves like Wish.
Shiftry makes both a good special sweeper and a physical sweeper, for it has Swords Dance and Nasty Plot and strong Grass and Dark STAB moves on both side.

I was tempted to suggest you using a Spike set with Maractus but soon realized that that way we turn back to Cacturne who has Spikes, too, and more. Really, Maractus is outclassed in basicly everything it is trying to accomplish.
Edit: In hindsight I would have told you to use it as a Sun-Spiker, as it is the only Mon with Chlorophyll and Spike. As expected there already has been an analysis on Smogon. At least this kind of set is unique, albeit it still sucks.
I should've mentioned that this is for in-game PWT/Subway (early rounds) and an in-game team member (Challenge mode though, so I think it's okay to EV train it). Just for fun, pre-E4 so I can't get Leech Seed/Spikes I think.

252 HP/4 Def/252 Sp.Def
Sassy (+Spdef , -Speed)
-Cotton Guard
-Toxic
-Giga Drain
-Drain Punch/Sucker Punch

or

252 HP/252 Atk/4 Sp.Def
Adamant/Brave (+Atk, -Sp.Atk/Speed)
-Cotton Guard
-Drain Punch/Toxic
-Needle Arm
-Sucker Punch

or

4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed
Naive/Hasty
-Sunny Day
-Giga Drain/Solarbeam
-Drain Punch
-Growth

All of these sound fun to try.

You may want to take a look at this thread for Subway battles.

As for Maractus I still find it a bit lackluster, even in if we limit ourself to Unova mons. Its special movepool only consists of Grass type moves, Hidden Power and ... Hyper Voice, while as a it is outclassed by Sawsbuck as a physical sweeper (second set). Whimsicott has higher bulk and Cotten Guard, too, and Pranktster to activate it befor the opponent moves (first set). Ferrothorn has as good as no weaknesses, titanic bulk and a few nifty support and boosting moves (first and second set). Virizion even surpass it in every single stat and has much stronger moves up to boot (second set and the first with a stretch - Calm Mind).
The third set actually is unique to Maractus because no other Chlorophyll mon has the adequate movepool of stats for a mixed sweeper. Then again, tough luck trying to setup twice with such a frail mon. If I feel lucky I'd rather set up with double dance Terrakion or Haxorus who is bulkier (which doesn't say much), stronger and has more resistances.

And one thing: Whatever set you are going to use, do not use Cotten Guard. With its paperthin defence values it isn't going to survive anything hard hitting soon, especially because it is so slow that Cotten Guard won't activate most of the time before you get hit. My bet is on CalmMind-Virizion, Curse-Ferrothorn, both with adequate stats to utilize defence boosting moves.

Edit: I realized you are playing BW2. Forget about Ferrothorn but you still have access to Virizion, Sawsbuck, Whinsicott, Leavanny and Cacturne.

Can anyone tell me what 16 speed evs on tentacruel is for and what the timid nature on the sub-toxic set outspeeds?

Pretty sure the LO RP set would be:

-RP
-Ice Beam
-Tbolt
-Flamethrower/Bug Buzz

Classic bolt beam Coverage with LO off 120 SpA with STAB Bug Buzz is always amazing. Bug has great coverage.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What 3 moves allow genesect the best utility (in the case of the lo rock polish set)
It depends on what you want to hit, but viable moves are Giga Drain, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Bug Buzz. Ice Beam / Giga Drain / Flamethrower is your typical wall breaker, though for more power you can do Ice Beam / Bug Buzz / Thunderbolt, at the loss of hitting Ferrothorn and some other steels hard.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What 3 moves allow genesect the best utility (in the case of the lo rock polish set)
Bug Buzz is necessary on RP so that Genesect has a strong STAB move to pose an actual threat offensively. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt (or Thunder on rain) are usually best in the last slot because of the excellent coverage they provide; a few Bug Buzzes will put Ferrothorn in its place, and BoltBeam hits all other Steel-types. The only Steel-types winning are Thunder Wave Ferrothorn and rain Jirachi. With Bug Buzz, Thunderbolt (or Thunder), and Ice Beam, Genesect has all it needs to succeed. Flamethrower doesn't do enough IMO to deserve a place on RP Genesect.

So I was looking at the banlists page when I saw that Evasion Clause hadn't been updated for Snow Cloak and Sand Veil. Should this be updated? Frequent contributors probably don't need to worry about it, but new players would do well to have that information.

So I was looking at the banlists page when I saw that Evasion Clause hadn't been updated for Snow Cloak and Sand Veil. Should this be updated? Frequent contributors probably don't need to worry about it, but new players would do well to have that information.
It will be updated. Every time a ban is made on Smogon, multiple pages have to be edited to represent this change and while most people with badges can go and edit the page, it takes a Site Staff badgeholder to cache the change before you can actually see it

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Can anyone tell me what 16 speed evs on tentacruel is for and what the timid nature on the sub-toxic set outspeeds?
Timid with 16 outspeeds + speed base 70s (breloom) and neutral nature base 80s (Mamoswine, Dragonite).

While 16 speed EVs outspeed 0 speed base 100s (Jirachi, Celebi, tenta itself etc), neutral nature max speed base 70's (breloom).

The standard right now is Giga Drain, Ice Beam, Flamethrower. Giga drain handles bulky waters (especially gastro as nothing else it has ohko's), Terrakion (you dont ohko without the spatk boost and if hes in sand you need it to be at 80% or lower to have a chance at taking it out), and Tyranitar. It's also a great option against pokemon with low hp just in case you want more hp to take a hit or cancel out LO recoil. Ice Beam is a great coverage move and I doubt anyone would use a RP set without it. And then you have flamethrower for steels.

But really it depends on how your team is built. A genesect with 3 random coverage moves can theoretically 6-0 an opponent's team. You can surprise heatrans and other fire types with HP Ground. Thunderbolt can be used to hit Water types harder, but you won't be able to hit Terrakion as hard unless you carry HP Ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)