HALO 4 Thread (Everyone Allowed, No Spoilers)

I think we should get a Halo 4 thread going now that it's been a few days since Halo 4's release. Let's try to keep this spoiler free until December, which will be fair game.

I loved the ending of the campaign and overall I'm surprised with the intricacies of the new guns and weapons. The Saw is probably one of my new favorites, though Promethean vision is absolutely incredible when I unlocked it.

My gamertag is kernelSanders

Gamertag List
yoyohobojo: kernelSanders
fohg: F0HG

I just got home from Best Buy with a copy and I cannot contain my joy. I did my best to not get spoiled about any detail, large or small, as I couldn't pick up the game the day it arrived.

Hopefully I can bang out the campaign this weekend and then not have to worry about going on YouTube lol.

My gamertg is F0HG if you want to add me!

I'll buy it when it's $20
See you in 2 years lol.

I just got home from Best Buy with a copy and I cannot contain my joy. I did my best to not get spoiled about any detail, large or small, as I couldn't pick up the game the day it arrived.

Hopefully I can bang out the campaign this weekend and then not have to worry about going on YouTube lol.

My gamertg is F0HG if you want to add me!
I added your gamertag to the list. Yeah, I really didn't want to be spoiled. I think we'll keep this thread for strategy discussion or maybe getting some matches going, but we'll avoid talking about the campaign, or only in spoiler tags. XD

Campaign-wise I was not very impressed. The story is alright, but at times it didn't make much sense, and a lot of things went unexplained. Supposedly it makes *much* more sense if you've read the books, so there's at least that.

Matchmaking is a lot different from any other Halo game. My biggest fear was that it would basically turn into Call of Duty, since a lot of the additions are pretty similar. Kill times are way up, so you die a lot faster in this game than any previous games. Having everyone spawn with a BR/DMR/whatever certainly speeds up the game as well. I didn't originally like the idea of perks, but they aren't distracting from the experience and only provide subtle boosts.

Like I said, all of the changes from the game make it feel different from any other Halo. To me, it doesn't really feel much like a Halo game at all anymore... but it's still a lot of fun!

To me, it doesn't really feel much like a Halo game at all anymore... but it's still a lot of fun!
It's a big improvement over Reach though. Some armor abilities in Reach were too overwhelming such as Armor Lock and Jetpack. Also, the maps were relatively unbalanced in which if your team has possession over a specific spot, you basically win the game and vice versa. Some of the default weapon combinations are also mediocre such as the Covenant assault rifle and plasma pistol. With loadouts, this can be fixed so you don't have to spend time looking for a better weapon and instead use the one of your choice in the loadouts to get more kills (BR FTW!!). Also, I like how power weapons are distributed evenly throughout the maps rather than just one side. When you play right, it is very easy to win a game and it is also easier in this game to get a positive K/D as well (and positive overall K/D for Wargames)

Very, very impressed. Campaign was a little lacking and there were still some loopholes they didn't take care of (probably fixed when Silentium is out) but still very well done. Multiplayer is solid and I enjoy it very much. Slayer Pro feels right, but random weapon drops need to be removed for static spawns. Also, instant respawn is ridiculous, but that's nothing the MLG settings won't fix.

Campaign-wise I was not very impressed. The story is alright, but at times it didn't make much sense, and a lot of things went unexplained. Supposedly it makes *much* more sense if you've read the books, so there's at least that.

Matchmaking is a lot different from any other Halo game. My biggest fear was that it would basically turn into Call of Duty, since a lot of the additions are pretty similar. Kill times are way up, so you die a lot faster in this game than any previous games. Having everyone spawn with a BR/DMR/whatever certainly speeds up the game as well. I didn't originally like the idea of perks, but they aren't distracting from the experience and only provide subtle boosts.

Like I said, all of the changes from the game make it feel different from any other Halo. To me, it doesn't really feel much like a Halo game at all anymore... but it's still a lot of fun!
The campaign clears itself up if you locate and watch all seven terminals. I've read every book, every scrap of halo lore and spent over 50 hours editing a related wiki, yet I still couldn't fill in all the holes. The terminals should clear up everything for the most part though.

My friends are playing it right now. At one point, I saw a mantis running around and I was like "Ok, who put a mechwarrior in Halo?" It looks awesome, anyway, but my friend killed it pretty easily.

My friends are playing it right now. At one point, I saw a mantis running around and I was like "Ok, who put a mechwarrior in Halo?" It looks awesome, anyway, but my friend killed it pretty easily.
On Valhalla they can be tough to bring down if someone already burned the spartan laser and railgun. It takes somewhere around 60 rounds of DMR/BR fire from what I've seen to bring it down and if the operator is smart they don't use it like a hog running around everywhere, instead using it's missiles to pin someone down.

On Valhalla they can be tough to bring down if someone already burned the spartan laser and railgun. It takes somewhere around 60 rounds of DMR/BR fire from what I've seen to bring it down and if the operator is smart they don't use it like a hog running around everywhere, instead using it's missiles to pin someone down.
Pretty sure he just jumped on it and beat it to death, like you would with a scorpion.

The Vanilla gameplay is better than Reach's, because the Weapon Sandbox is vastly superior.

what's really annoying is that on maps with open sights long range fire just lacks all skill.... by keeping everyone scoped in even long range shooting seems almost automatic.

The campaign clears itself up if you locate and watch all seven terminals. I've read every book, every scrap of halo lore and spent over 50 hours editing a related wiki, yet I still couldn't fill in all the holes. The terminals should clear up everything for the most part though.
That's good to hear. I was hoping to find a couple terminals naturally while playing through the campaign, but I didn't find a single one. The CE: Anniversary terminals were pretty interesting, and I hope these will be as well!

Went to the midnight release and played through the campaign that day. It might not have been the most satisfying story, but the gameplay was extremely solid and it did the series justice. Multiplayer is just as fantastic, combining all of the good aspects from 3/Reach and removing most of the bullshit.

Excellent game.

Never really understood why the interest level in the Halo story is so high.. Other than 4, i've passed and played(to death) every single game in the series but i have yet to see a cutscene in the series(obvious exaggeration but i seriously have no clue what happens in any of the games, to this day i don't know why i kept switching between Master Chief and that alien dude in Halo 2).

Never really understood why the interest level in the Halo story is so high.. Other than 4, i've passed and played(to death) every single game in the series but i have yet to see a cutscene in the series(obvious exaggeration but i seriously have no clue what happens in any of the games, to this day i don't know why i kept switching between Master Chief and that alien dude in Halo 2).
You're completely missing the entire storyline of the games then. The Halo story set by Bungie is incredibly complex and extremely well written. One can play the game a hundred times and still miss what's going on under the surface if you're not actively trying to understand what is going on.

To clear some stuff up about Halo 2, you switch between John and the Arbiter so that you are able to experience the Covenant Civil War from the Arbiter's perspective whereas exploring the reasons for it would be impossible from John's point of view.

The first level with the Arbiter occurs on a gas mining station above Threshold. In a previous cutscene, Vandamee assumed the roll of Arbiter due to his failures to protect Alpha Halo in CE. His job was to head to the mining station and eliminate the heretics there before they could spread anymore "lies." The actual purpose of that mission is so the prophets suppress the truth about the covenant; reclaimer was misinterpreted as reclamation and the prophets ignored this fact as revealed by Mendicant Bias so they could protect their power.

At the end of CE, Guilty Spark floats over to the research station / mining facility and is met by the elite heretic leader. Guilty Spark informs them of humanity's succession to the Forerunners as reclaimers, etc and so the heretic elite realizes that the prophets have been manipulating them.

That's the basics for the arbiter's first level in Halo 2, there are far deeper consequences to the prophet's manipulation, this is just one factor and step in the plan to replace elites with brutes in the Covenant.

Mendicant Bias is a name few who played the Halo 3 campaign (from my experiences at least) are familiar with, yet he is an incredibly important character who set in motion a chain of events that is reason for many things taken for granted in the Halo universe. His story culminates with his redemption for past sins, and the "beef" of his story is explained within text alone in Halo 3. This is stuff that really contributes to the Halo universe, too often completely ignored.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Went to the midnight release and played through the campaign that day. It might not have been the most satisfying story, but the gameplay was extremely solid and it did the series justice. Multiplayer is just as fantastic, combining all of the good aspects from 3/Reach and removing most of the bullshit.

Excellent game.
Promethean Vision says Hi. -_-

PV isn't "broken" but compared to the other armor abilities it's clearly the outlier. Everything else is situational or gimmicky; hologram lets you fool opponents occasionally, camo doesn't work fantastically or last long, hardlight shield is only for the instances you're being shot from one location and near cover, etc. PV is the only one that will always help you.

I do dislike how the AA cooldowns work, though. Generally it takes more "energy" or whatever to turn OFF the ability rather than to turn on. It makes no sense, especially for something like Promethean Vision where short bursts would occasionally be more useful than using the whole thing, yet with the way the cooldown works it basically forces you to use the whole thing.

They got rid of bloom (mostly) and armor lock from Reach, and I haven't had a problem with people double meleeing... so they did a pretty good job in that regard, at least.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I actually use regeneration field. :V
Eh, I'm getting mixed results. While it is really nice in helping your team hold a chokepoint, I feel like it doesn't have a strong enough heal to warrant use. In addition, using it highlights your team for marksmen, meaning you can't use it effectively in a long range fight.

Promethean Vision says Hi.
While very useful, I'd argue that the time it takes from when you hit the button to when you can see the whole screen in Promethean Vision (2-4 seconds depending on the size of the map) and the inflexibility of starting and stopping it is enough of a balance to keep it in check.

That being said, I'm currently trying out the Thruster Pack. While it doesn't have the range of its predecessor (evade), it is omnidirectional which is REALLY nice. If you combo it with a high sensitivity, you can easily slip behind someone and win a melee fight you would otherwise lose (this works even better with a shotty/scattershot).

As for the Hologram,

[youtube]GM82Lv0FU50&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)