Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Mark 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to updating some stuff. Not really sure what to include in the OP since the 3DS XL has been out for a while now, but I added a list of upcoming eShop games in the following posts. If you guys want anything specific let me know.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star is live on the e-shop! DLing it now because I'm cozy in bed and don't want to drive to the store. :)
Also guys post your first thoughts/impressions on Sticker Star! I know the reviews are subpar but I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts since we may be a little more biased towards liking the game.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Paper Mario 64 was one of the best games I ever played. I wanted Sticker Star so freaking bad. But now that I've read the reviews I'm hesitant to buy it. Although I haven't played it myself, I understand what the reviewers are complaining about (no experience points / what's the point of battling). They'd better release a demo if they want people like me to reconsider buying it.

To be fair, most of the reviews said that Sticker Star just has some flaws, not that it's not a good game. It's still getting ~8-8.5 from most review outlets. Might pick it up anyway.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Sticker Star is okay thus far. The intro is very abrupt. Bowser crashes the party and breaks some stuff. Mario get's a random crown looking sticker who wants him to help collect pieces of the legendary sticker star. Etc. Here's how I see it: a hybrid between Super Paper Mario and the regular Paper Mario Games. The only point to battling tbh, is getting coins for more stickers for more battling for more coins for more stickers etc etc.

At this point I'm not too impressed, but it's still entertaining to say the least. I hope it picks up as the game goes on but who knows...

Thinking I may pick up a 3DS XL with the inevitable surge of Christmas money soon to come. Would it be worth it though? None of the games really seem must buy to me especially if Sticker Star isnt all that great. I wouldnt get the old classics because I already have them on Wii. Just seems like there still arent any great games out there for it. Any suggestions/comments on games to be released in the future?

I've read that with 3D on, 3DS games look better on the 3DS XL than the original 3DS. Do you all agree with this? What about with 3D off?

I agree with that. The 3D effect is much better on the XL.

The only complaint I have so far is that it seems a little easier to get slight scratches on the screen. Generally I love it though and I'm surprised to find myself using it for music and internet as much as I have been.

I agree with that. The 3D effect is much better on the XL.

The only complaint I have so far is that it seems a little easier to get slight scratches on the screen. Generally I love it though and I'm surprised to find myself using it for music and internet as much as I have been.
Thanks. What about with 3D off... which model do 3DS games look better on then?

Thanks. What about with 3D off... which model do 3DS games look better on then?
Hard for me to compare as I no longer have the 3DS and can't recall exactly what they looked like. I've never had an issue playing Mario Kart 7 or New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the 3DS XL with the 3D off, but Super Mario 3D Land looks a bit weird in 2D. Could be an issue with the game. Generally though, if you don't use the console to play music through as you walk around, the battery is good enough that you won't be turning the 3D off to save power, and looking at it for extended periods of time doesn't hurt my eyes unless I'm playing one of the weird inbuilt games. But I don't play those for more than ten minutes ever.

I assume that using the Dream Radar isn't any more or less difficult on the 3DS XL than it is on the original 3DS, correct? Will its graphics be better on the XL?

Meh, I thought the puzzles were easy. But that's just me. Anyways, I won't spoil it for anyone but here's what I told Lightwolf:

Of the players in ZE:VLR, 2 are from 999.
I had trouble with a few, it mostly not finding everything I needed to complete the puzzle.

I'm not sure if you haven't played the entire game or not, but that's not true. ;)

I assume that using the Dream Radar isn't any more or less difficult on the 3DS XL than it is on the original 3DS, correct? Will its graphics be better on the XL?
I think DR will be, if nothing else, slightly more tiring on the XL than the original. The XL is about 50% heavier, and quite a bit larger, so I guess it would be tiring to play on it for an extended period of time. I really don't why you suggest graphics could be better; both the XL and the original 3DS run off the same hardware, albeit the XL has better screens. I hear that the XL has a better 3D effect, but then again, you probably shouldn't use the 3D on a game that uses the 3DS's gyroscope such as DR.

I haven't used an XL, but the screen resolution seems garishly low for such a large screen. I mean, 800*240 is just fine for the original, but I can't imagine that looking sharp on a screen about 5" diagonally.

One of the biggest flaws with Sticker Star I've seen in reviews is the complete lack of an engaging story, which is one of the huge drawing points towards a Mario RPG. I don't see the point of spending $40 on a Mario RPG with no story, no interesting characters, a crappy battle system, and a stupid interface. C'mon, Nintendo, I thought all of those points were standard on your RPGs.

Acklow

I had trouble with a few, it mostly not finding everything I needed to complete the puzzle.

I'm not sure if you haven't played the entire game or not, but that's not true. ;)
I meant the "players" as most people assume. But I totally know what you are talking about there.

Also in regards to Sticker Star:

The more I play this game, the more I realize it's more of a Puzzle-Adventure Game than it is your regular RPG. It has the turn based battles reminiscent of PM:TTYD and PM64, but it is in its own genre when it comes to EVERYTHING ELSE. It has platforming, it has puzzles, it has collecting weird items (like in Animal Crossing, etc). The game has its own flavor and unique charm. I hated the first world and a half, but once I got to the latter half of the second world and third world, things just started to click and I felt like the game was improving upon itself over time. I think the main reason why people were let down was because they went into the store and bought it expecting PM:TTYD or PM64. This is not the case with Sticker Star. Sure, it won't live up to the name that TTYD boasted itself to be as a Mario RPG, but that's just it: Sticker Star isn't a Mario RPG. It's a hybrid. Those are my thoughts on Sticker Star as of the moment.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
So I recently got one of these, and I was wondering which game(s) to buy. Besides Mario 3D Land (which I already have) and Paper Mario (which I'll be getting soon), that is.

The thing is, I don't want a game that is either too short or too easy. If a game is awesome, but can be beaten in 10 minutes, I'll pass. If a game takes days to complete 100%, but can be beaten without even trying, that's not for me. (Note: the only exceptions I can think of are Kirby games and a couple of fighting games)

So, Smogon, what can you recommend me?

Acklow

Kingdom Hearts DDD?

Tales of the Abyss?

Kid Icarus: Uprising?

(And if you've played 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors)

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward?

Those are all good games for the 3DS imo.

Edit:

@ BigZac: tried out the demo and it reminded me of a clunky version of Dragon Age. To be honest, I would only play it if I could guarantee that I would be playing it with a group of four friends regularly, and then some.
It just doesn't look like all that great of a game imo...

Well the first game that comes to mind that meets your criteria is Kid Icarus: Uprising. The controls are a issue for some people, I personally didn't have any trouble with them, but they are very awkward. The game gets pretty insane at difficulties 9 and 10, so it is a challenge.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Plus, if you like the game (who on earth wouldn't), there is nearly infinite replay value through the various difficulties and hundreds of challenges. Oh, and wifi multiplayer. That too.

@Death Phenomeno: Wifi in KI is amazing, the main reason why it is my favorite 3DS game...I would also recommend Super Mario 3D Land (still trying to beat Special Worlds) and the N64 remakes of Star Fox and Zelda are enjoyable, unless you've beaten those games to the ground already. KH: DDD is also an easy recommendation.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Oh! That's another thing! MK7! I'm not at all a competitive MK player. I've just always thought it was fun to race for a couple hours with friends on the old console games. But I bought MK7, mostly for my daughter who played the crap out of MK64 (Wii VC). And holy smokes it's a great game!

I've played it enough to unlock everything for her, except the random karts and parts that just randomly unlock after certain coin totals. Changing parts and karts and drivers makes a noticeable difference in speed and acceleration and handling. There's a pretty active random wifi community. And I was also surprised at how great the graphics look in 3D. In my opinion, they look better than the Game Cube MK, if not as nice as the Wii MK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)