Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conkeldurr is a very big threat to my team if it have ice punch and that obviously isn't acceptable because I would lose almost every match (i just got raped by one). I'm building a kyruem-b team that have magnezone in it and I know skarmory would fit in but I don't like the extra weakness steel types give.

I don't what what your team is, but if your looking for an offensive answer to Conkeldurr, try out Latios or Tornadus, whichever fits better on your team. Alakazam and Starmie may also work to.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
i'd figure it's just 4 hp / 252 atk / 252 spd. the 4 hp gives you 324 hp which means you're in salac range after 3 subs rather than 4. if you want to give genesect an attack boost rather than satk, i doubt rak will care if you drop the atk EVs to 248 to put an extra 4 into sdef as well

EDIT: riight forgot about the IVs

yeah but it leaves me more grass weak. Breloom is another threat I have to handle
If you want to cover both in one slot, you could try out Volcarona or even Moltres. Both can be formidable special attackers, however both require heavy rapid spin support. QD Volcarona is a great sweeper in this meta right now since it can not be revenges by choice scarf Genesect.

Edit: TheSuperSaiyanBreloom tyranitar is a very strange choice (unless it is CB partnered for Keldeo??). Conkeldurr is pretty rare and Breloom is a much more pertinent threat to cover. I would suggest an Celebi (possibly over gastrodon) since it can counter Breloom, remove Jellicent for Keldeo, and switch in on ferro easily with Hp fire.

i'd figure it's just 4 hp / 252 atk / 252 spd. the 4 hp gives you 324 hp which means you're in salac range after 3 subs rather than 4. if you want to give genesect an attack boost rather than satk, i doubt rak will care if you drop the atk EVs to 248 to put an extra 4 into sdef as well
Wouldn't be dropping one defense IV be more ideal than losing max attack?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Alternately, if you really want to keep max Attack, you could just drop the Def IV to 30.

If you want to cover both in one slot, you could try out Volcarona or even Moltres. Both can be formidable special attackers, however both require heavy rapid spin support. QD Volcarona is a great sweeper in this meta right now since it can not be revenges by choice scarf Genesect.

Edit: TheSuperSaiyanBreloom tyranitar is a very strange choice (unless it is CB partnered for Keldeo??). Conkeldurr is pretty rare and Breloom is a much more pertinent threat to cover. I would suggest an Celebi (possibly over gastrodon) since it can counter Breloom, remove Jellicent for Keldeo, and switch in on ferro easily with Hp fire.

Wouldn't be dropping one defense IV be more ideal than losing max attack?
I did have Celebi over Gastrodon when I made the team. I found that Gastrodon can kill tentacruel as well as do what celebi is intended to do except much better (get rid of water types). Tyranitar is to get rid of the opposing sun as I would get sweep by Venusaur. It also gets rid of the opposing rain so Magnezone can OHKO Ferrothorn. On top of that it pairs well with Keldeo.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Pokemon Showdown is up and working for me. Try and restarting your computer, as I have had that issue before. But next time ask in the PS! Simple questions thread for stuff like that.

Oh ok thanks!
So what do you guys consider the "best" kingdra set right now in this current meta? Ive been using a kinda mixed d-dance set with lum berry and its had great success so far. opinions?

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
DragMag can be built by a very easy formula. If you ask me, the very best Drag!ag team a the moment is LeadTerrakion / Haxorus / Dragonite / Latios / Scarf Gene / Magnezone. It follows the simple formula of Dragons and Magnezone, but with the addition of Genesect to gain momentum and act as a revenger. While Terrakion acts a solid offensive Stealth Rocker for the team. You can run 3 Dragons + Magnezone + SR Poke + Filler which is a pretty standard formula for making one.

So what do you guys consider the &quot;best&quot; kingdra set right now in this current meta? Ive been using a kinda mixed d-dance set with lum berry and its had great success so far. opinions?
Try to avoid double posting in the future... You can edit your post whenever you need.

As far as really good Kingdra sets, I haven't used Kingdra since Gen IV and early BW (back when Drizzle and Swift Swim were legal-- BOY were those the days). Before I answer, though, are you asking for a specific team, or are you just talking about a general Kingdra set? A set's quality or usefulness always depends on the team around it.

(Also, @Onicon, thanks for the team suggestions earlier.)

is there a difference between hosting a BW OU and BW 2 OU like in BW OU therian forms are not allowed or etc?

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
the term "bw OU" is a bit vague but generally refers to the "current" generation five metagame, which is BW2 OU (in the same way that dpp OU tends to refer to the gen IV metagame post-HGSS and all). however, BW1 OU specifically refers to the gen V meta, right before BW2 was released. this would mean no therians, no genesect, no keldeo, no techniloom, no kyurem formes, etc.

@Linneus
True it is dependent upon that, I guess I'm just looking to sweep with kingdra.
Well, the best I can recommend is to keep doing what you're doing. Kingdra's typing lets it get away from pretty much all common water-type counters (as it's not weak to grass or electric), and being afforded free turns while your opponent figures out what to do against you makes Kingdra perfect as a boosting sweeper. (I'm curious exactly what your mixed set is, but that's not too important right now.)

Combining Dragon Dance with strong physical STAB is usually the way to go, since Water and Dragon have good coverage (only Steel types that resist Water can resist this combination, and the only ones that come to mind are Empoleon and Ferrothorn). If you're looking for something to set up early and tear through your opponent's team, try combining Waterfall, Outrage and Dragon Dance with Substitute, as it might net you more boosts. If you're planning on a late game sweeper (which I think Kingdra's just better at), then you might be able to ditch Substitute for another coverage move-- the only problem is that Kingdra doesn't HAVE other coverage moves. In fact, its only other physical moves are Giga Impact and Return... You can risk HP Fire if you're desperate to hit Ferrothorn, but generally speaking, DD/Sub/Outrage/Waterfall is the only physical set worth mentioning.

On the special side, Kingdra can run Rain Dance with Swift Swim as a sort of temporary Agility (which, interestingly, Kingdra already learns, but Rain raises the power of Water type moves, so that's obviously better). An interesting idea would be to forego rain completely for Agility, and then run HP Fire to hit Ferrothorn for that 4x damage and sweep unhindered, but I think it'd just be better to have a Ferrothorn counter on your team.

I guess the thing to keep in mind is that Kingdra can never take on an entire team (few sweepers can). It has a lot of trouble with walls (Physical/Special Kingdra can't just hope to muscle through Ferrothorn/Blissey, respectively, no matter how hard it tries). So get a lot of team support cater to Kingdra's strengths-- high speed and good STAB-- and you won't be disappointed. Like I said, the 'best' set really depends on your team, so if you're making a mixed set work, I'd just stick with that. But SubDD seems to be most popular.

Two quick questions...
Does anything have the ability Serene Grace and the move Hurricane?
Does anything have the ability Simple and either/both of the moves Tail Glow/Cotton Guard?

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for something like that for ages!

One more Q (I'm building a team, hence the barrage). Say I'm running an Air Balloon on my Ninetails. If I switch in with my side of the field covered in spikes/tspikes, it 'floats' over them and doesn't take damage. If the Air Balloon is then popped, does it take spikes/tspikes damage as if it were switching in ('falling' with no balloon)? Probably not, just curious...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)