The Everything NFL Thread - 2012 Season (Up til 2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
really pissed that the Steelers ruined the Chiefs never leading for a second of the season, my least favorite team in the league making me even madder

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah the Steelers could always use another Olineman.
No, he would just get injured.

The report keeps changing, but the wording I am seeing now is "sprain" when they're talking about Ben's shoulder. The good part of this is it doesn't sound like a break or tear so he shouldn't need surgery and may be back in a few weeks. I have a bad feeling he's going to miss the Ravens games though, which sucks because those are important divisional games that will ultimately mean the difference between Wild Card and Division Winner.

I wonder when the last time was that Ben played both games against the Ravens in the same season and was healthy...

I'm a steelers fan, but last night was some of the worst football I've ever seen. The steelers may have a lot of injuries now, but that's no excuse. The chiefs basically don't have an offensive line, yet RBs like Hillis make a lot of short running plays for easy 10 yards. I think some of it is because Cassels can't really pass the ball against the steelers (he has no offensive line, and he's against probably the best defense in the league), so the steelers can't grab as many easy picks. But the steelers offense was just atrocious. Hali, Flowers, and Charles are the only real players on the chiefs defense, but Byran Leftwich can't make easy passes. It's not the offensive line, it's not the receivers, it's not the runningback, it's the QB. If Leftwich feels the pressure from the chiefs defense, he's in trouble for next weekend against the ravens. We need Big Ben back, or at least Charlie Batch. But the ravens games are probably the toughest on the schedule, and the steelers offense needs to be able to get through the tough ravens defense.

EDIT:
@killah
Oh Ben played terribly too against the chiefs, don't get me wrong, most of the team did. But for an opponent like the ravens, I'd so much rather have Ben playing than Leftwich. Ben's off-nights (monday) are just Leftwich's regular nights. Hopefully Ben won't play like that for the rest of the season, but he's going to be rusty coming back from this injury and from the birth of his kid.

lol so much of this(minus the team hate):

really pissed that the Steelers ruined the Chiefs never leading for a second of the season, my least favorite team in the league making me even madder

Anyways, my favorite part of the SBs has always been the national anthem and this is my favorite(though Houstons and Beyonces version are better):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=tGQfHIfSWK0

Mostly because of the game itself and the players in it. Every time i watch this video i get chills during the 24-32 part. Seriously Tom Brady and Randy Moss in the same team? What kind of monster set that up? It's because of how intimidating the Patriots were that this version is so epic. The fact that the greatest defensive performance in SB history was several minutes from happening also makes it awesome. Blah blah, 85 Bears and 00 Ravens. They may have been better as a defense, but that game was the best game a defense played in SB history. The greatest offense ever created, including a top 7 all time QB, a top 4 all time WR, the best slot receiver during that time, the best OL of the time and a very passer friendly environment. That offense was held to 14 points and only 1 legit drive... 1!!! The only other time they scored was a rushing TD on a stupid short field. Not only that but this monstrous offense was a Corey Webster slip away from being held to a rushing TD and a field goal all game and no passing TDs. There may have been better defenses, but none had to face an offense of that caliber. Let's also not forget how Brady wasn't even able to convert a 1st down in garbage time.

1:02 to 1:11 also brings a tear to my eye every time.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
lol so much of this(minus the team hate):

Anyways, my favorite part of the SBs has always been the national anthem and this is my favorite(though Houstons and Beyonces version are better):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=tGQfHIfSWK0

Mostly because of the game itself and the players in it. Every time i watch this video i get chills during the 24-32 part. Seriously Tom Brady and Randy Moss in the same team? What kind of monster set that up? It's because of how intimidating the Patriots were that this version is so epic. The fact that the greatest defensive performance in SB history was several minutes from happening also makes it awesome. Blah blah, 85 Bears and 00 Ravens. They may have been better as a defense, but that game was the best game a defense played in SB history. The greatest offense ever created, including a top 7 all time QB, a top 4 all time WR, the best slot receiver during that time, the best OL of the time and a very passer friendly environment. That offense was held to 14 points and only 1 legit drive... 1!!! The only other time they scored was a rushing TD on a stupid short field. Not only that but this monstrous offense was a Corey Webster slip away from being held to a rushing TD and a field goal all game and no passing TDs. There may have been better defenses, but none had to face an offense of that caliber. Let's also not forget how Brady wasn't even able to convert a 1st down in garbage time.

1:02 to 1:11 also brings a tear to my eye every time.
Jesus fucking Christ does every post you make have to have you randomly slobbering over the Giants knob? Firstly, the 85 Bears and 00 Ravens DID have better SB defensive performances then your mob, and secondly what did that video have to do with the conversation going on in the thread? If it was anyone else posting it I'd be alright but you might as well be a Giants beat writer with the amount you write about them, especially when you just randomly bring them up . _.

I'm a steelers fan, but last night was some of the worst football I've ever seen. The steelers may have a lot of injuries now, but that's no excuse. The chiefs basically don't have an offensive line, yet RBs like Hillis make a lot of short running plays for easy 10 yards. I think some of it is because Cassels can't really pass the ball against the steelers (he has no offensive line, and he's against probably the best defense in the league), so the steelers can't grab as many easy picks. But the steelers offense was just atrocious. Hali, Flowers, and Charles are the only real players on the chiefs defense, but Byran Leftwich can't make easy passes. It's not the offensive line, it's not the receivers, it's not the runningback, it's the QB. If Leftwich feels the pressure from the chiefs defense, he's in trouble for next weekend against the ravens. We need Big Ben back, or at least Charlie Batch. But the ravens games are probably the toughest on the schedule, and the steelers offense needs to be able to get through the tough ravens defense.
This is no knock on Ben, but the Steelers were awful on offense even with Roethlisberger in the game. He went 9-18 for 84 yards and got bailed with an amazing catch for his only TD. They only had 126 offensive yards while Ben was in the game, compared to 155 with Leftwich. If the Steelers had lost, Leftwich would have been an unfortunate scapegoat for the fans and media; he didn't do anything wrong! He is still a legitimately awful quarterback though.

Would anyone care to explain to me the reasoning for the Chiefs to elect to receive the ball on the opening possession of OT? Do the coaches even know the rule change that favors the kicking team in defensive matchups? Did they honestly think Matt Cassel would lead them 80 yards in a situation where they needed a TD? I refuse to believe it was simply due to coaching incompetenc- haha just kidding that's obviously what it was.

Everyone knows i love the Steelers, so i'm not being biased but to me they have been pretty bad and unimpressive all year. They have struggled against bad teams and really haven't beat anyone. The Eagles have already proved to be going straight to a 4-12 season and the Giants were in 8-8 mode.

I of course blame the injuries and realistically we all know they are not the Steelers of old. But even then i'm sure they will make the playoffs given how crappy the AFC is. Unless BB misses a lot of games.

Still, i think the Chiefs defense is pretty underrated and why i thought they would be the Broncos main threat. So theres no shame in that. The sad thing is that the Chiefs have to start over again so soon.

Anyways, anyone else notice how BB looks like Shrek?

Probably, although it wouldn't matter what kind of defense Rex was running cause he'd wanna rush seven every play.
lol

Probably, although it wouldn't matter what kind of defense Rex was running cause he'd wanna rush seven every play.
Was thinking this when I read the post. (But maybe rush eight.)

And I'm asking an opinion question; Will Andy Reid lose his job during the season, after it is over, or not at all?

I say he leaves at the end of the season unless they completely collapse. Which i didn't really think was going to happen. But now without Vick i could see them losing the next two games which would place them at 3-8 at which point i think he would get fired. But most likely they stay somewhat competitive and finish 6-10 and gets fired at the end of the season.

Either way, Reid will get fired. You have to understand some fans have wanted him out for a while now. But at this point even the reasonable fans want him out. Their entire fanbase can't stand the guy at this point. So even if they go 9-7, i think its over for Reid.

Also, i'm starting to become a Vick fan. It's sick how others misery makes them more likeable. Now i'm starting to see the hell he has been going through all year and the way he has handled it has been fantastic. Just hope he goes to an AFC team so he doesn't burn the Giants every year.

If you could sum up the Eagles 2012 season in 1 play it would be the 3rd(?) and goal with 2(ish) seconds going into the half trailing the Cardinals 17-0, Vick gets blasted, fumbles and its returned for a TD. Going into the half 24-0. That play i think defines the 2012 Eagles. Or at least will be the way i remember this team.

EDIT: Everyone else see this yet?

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
probably not the 'greatest' defensive superbowl performance, but could very well be in the running for 'most impressive', because of the whole 'best offense ever' thing.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
probably not the 'greatest' defensive superbowl performance, but could very well be in the running for 'most impressive', because of the whole 'best offense ever' thing.
I would say (and have) that the Patriots Offense has been holistically better these past three years than the Offense in 2007. The Offense in 2007 was certainly the most prolific points wise, but I would not say the best.

I'd argue Saints of last year and Greatest Show on Turf were definitely better Offenses than Patriots '07.

Not personnel-wise...

And of course these offenses appear better... Look how heavily offenses are fovered now than from even 7 years ago.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
In Ben's defense, it's tougher to complete passes in the falling rain. Houston v Chicago had similar weather and the QBs struggled there too.

I just hope it's just a sprain and not something more serious.

In Ben's defense, it's tougher to complete passes in the falling rain. Houston v Chicago had similar weather and the QBs struggled there too.
As the Packers & Bears can especially attest to. And especially snow.

I went to the 2010 playoff game (Packers@Eagles) and I do distinctly remember a large crowd of Eagle fans calling for Andy Reid's head on a stick for losing the game afterwards (I WAS in Green Bay gear, but had a Flyers jersey on - which I'm sure is the reason I wasn't severely beaten after the game, those fans are the worst in any professional sport besides futbol.)

Answering my own question... Reid is going to be gone, and possibly Vick as well. Reid will be gone if they lose the next game, and Vick will be released thereafter.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I just hope it's just a sprain and not something more serious.
Detached rib that could have pressed on his aorta. Pretty serious shit. They don't know if it's season-ending, but he won't be playing anytime soon.

In Byron You Trust!

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Detached rib that could have pressed on his aorta. Pretty serious shit. They don't know if it's season-ending, but he won't be playing anytime soon.

In Byron You Trust!
Holy shit. That's crazy. Getting torn tendons and broken bones and concussions are all horrible but to be expected. However, visceral peril like having your aorta be this close to being pinched or punctured is insane for a football injury.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane

In Byron You Trust!
Come talk to me next week, when Byron is still winding up...

Holy shit. That's crazy. Getting torn tendons and broken bones and concussions are all horrible but to be expected. However, visceral peril like having your aorta be this close to being pinched or punctured is insane for a football injury.
It's already happened once this season with Amendola's collarbone injury. It's most likely just a coincidence, though, as I haven't heard of a (non-neck related) football related injury being life threatening until then.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I sincerely hope Big Ben is okay. Also gonna be disappointed that the Steelers fans will be full of excuses if we beat them, just remember who we are missing too. Our defense is banged you and your offense is banged up, should be a good match.

I'm pretty sure losing a QB(not named Alex Smith) is way worse. Especially when, imo, the QB is the only thing keeping the team relevant. But we shall see.

I went to the 2010 playoff game (Packers@Eagles) and I do distinctly remember a large crowd of Eagle fans calling for Andy Reid's head on a stick for losing the game afterwards (I WAS in Green Bay gear, but had a Flyers jersey on - which I'm sure is the reason I wasn't severely beaten after the game, those fans are the worst in any professional sport besides futbol.)
I've been to a bunch of Raider games and their pretty bad. But i'm sure all teams have drunken and douchy fans. Maybe except the people who attend Cowboy stadium as i get the feeling its full of executive types that are able to afford tickets.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I sincerely hope Big Ben is okay. Also gonna be disappointed that the Steelers fans will be full of excuses if we beat them, just remember who we are missing too. Our defense is banged you and your offense is banged up, should be a good match.
Injured players on the Ravens

Ray Lewis
Lardarius Webb

Injured players on the Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger
Antonio Brown
Troy Polamalu
Rashard Mendenhall
Marcus Gilbert
David DeCastro
Sean Spence

That's just players who are OUT. I'm not even counting the zillion others (Clark, Dwyer, Redman, etc) who are less than 100% because of injury.

Please explain to me how those equate to each other? I'm not making excuses because Pittsburgh needs to get it done regardless of injuries, but implying the two teams are anywhere close to equivalent on the injury front is a bit silly. Pittsburgh can still very well win this game, as they always play the Ravens close even without Big Ben (see: couple years ago with Dixon). If they don't win, it will be because they didn't play well enough to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)