Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
nah you come to earth after you would have taken hazards. if your balloon is popped on the switch you still don't take grounded hazards

I have a stupidly simple question, and it's likely that I'm just having a bad night. Where's the thread that says what isn't allowed in OU?

http://www.smogon.com/bw/banlist/

as i recall it's just a TAD out of date since OU banned sand veil and snow cloak (i think someone in C&C will update it soon); otherwise that is what you are looking for
Thank you, I have a follow-up quick question. Say my Breloom uses Spore on the opponent. They switch out to a new pokemon, it physically attacks Breloom and Breloom's Effect Spore puts it to sleep. Do I lose based on the Sleep Clause? Or does this fall under the fact that I didn't use a move on the second pokemon?

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Unless you Spored a natural cure Pokemon, then yes this does go into sleep clause effect. The only way 2+ Pokemkn can be asleep at the same time is from the result of the person using Rest twice or Spore + Rest on an opponents team. For example the opponent can rest up Gyarados and Rotom up without Sleep Clause activating. While if the opponent Spores twice it will come into effect.

Unless you Spored a natural cure Pokemon, then yes this does go into sleep clause effect. The only way 2+ Pokemkn can be asleep at the same time is from the result of the person using Rest twice or Spore + Rest on an opponents team. For example the opponent can rest up Gyarados and Rotom up without Sleep Clause activating. While if the opponent Spores twice it will come into effect.
I didn't say Spore twice. I said I Spore a pokemon to sleep, he switches, attacks my Breloom and "Effect Spore" ability puts it to sleep.

I answered that, it would go into sleep clause.
A player may not select an attack which has a chance to directly cause more than one opposing Pokemon to have been put to sleep directly by a move used by their team unless no other move is selectable.

A quote from smogon. So you're wrong and it doesn't go into sleep clause, because it wasn't a move that put the Pokemon to sleep.

So far, I have 3 Pokemon, 2 being the cores of my Team. Dragonite is my lead and with this set:
Dragonite @ Lum Berry/Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Jolly
Moves:
Dragon Dance
Fire Punch
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake

Standard DDNite set here. Outrage will be used with Lum Berry to cure the confusion once the 2-3 turns are done. However, that will leave DNite vulnerable to Steel types, especially Ferrothorn, so my other option is Dragon Claw. While it is significantly weaker, the Life Orb mitigates this somewhat. It also allows me to switch to Fire Punch incase the aforementioned foe switches in, which it might because of the Dragon type attack. Standard EVs, maxing Atk and Spe, and pouring the remaining 4 into HP. Is that wise? Or should I give it to a defensive stat so Download Pokemon like Genesect don't get their SpA boosted?

Empoleon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Nature: Calm
Moves:
Scald
Toxic
Protect
Stealth Rock

Specially Defensive Empoleon is my choice to cover the Ice and Rock weakness Dragonite has. Scald to burn physical sweepers, Toxic+Protect to stall, and Stealth Rock for residual damage. The HP EVs allow it to lose minimal HP from Leech Seed and Stealth Rock. 44 Def allows it to never be OHKOed by Dragonite and Salamence's Outrage (I think?). The remaining EVs go to SpD to become more of a special wall.

Ferrothorn @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
Power Whip
Gyro Ball
Spikes
Bulldoze

You may be wondering why I also chose to get 0 SpA IV. It is because I like to play very safe. Who knows, a Pokemon with flatter could come in. Anyway, Power Whip and Gyro Ball are STAB, while also getting OK coverage. Bulldoze allows it to hit Pokemon that wall Gyro Ball and Power Whip, such as Heatran, on the switch. Spikes may seem odd for a Choice Banded Pokemon, but it can be useful sometimes. Besides, it doesn't learn many notable moves besides support and IMO, being locked into them is worse. I'd rather be locked into Spikes since multiple layers can be set down than a move that is only useful the first time.

So, what can I add to improve the core a bit? Is Dragonite even viable as a DD lead?

I know thread necro is frowned upon, but if I were to bump the Meloetta thread for legitimate discussion, would anyone have issues? Especially considering the Suspect Test for Genesect going on.

Also, DNite has a much better special defense than defense, so Gene will almost always get the attack boost.

ok i'm having some trouble with my dragmag team. i can't seem to get much win with it and because of that I run into people who brings things that makes no sense and I lose worse.
I have a lead terrakion, life orb kyruem, spes latios, scarf genesect, dd salamence and of course a magnezone. any suggestions?

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Trying out something like Choice Scarf Salamence can give you a solid option for revenge killing which is pretty cool. That is a typical DragMag team and it is pretty good at doing what it does. Try to lure in steels so that you can double switch into Magnezone to get the kill much safer. You could also try out other Pokemon like Dragonite, Haxorus, Bronzong, or Zapdos on some spots to help beat rain teams and RP Genesect which your team struggles with.

Does Baton Pass ignore entry hazards? Like, if I throw out Stealth Rock, they Baton Pass to pokemon A, does Pokemon A take damage from Stealth Rock?

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Should a Pokemon be banned because it's broken or because it's overcentralizing? Or both? Can it be neither, or either or?

Being broken and being metagame centralizing is easily confused with each other, as some Pokemon are centralizing because they are broken, and some are thought to be broken because they are centralizing. Like genesect and politoed. I think that only those that are broken should be banned.

What makes Politoed so good in your eyes? Granted I'm only getting back into competitive gaming, but the 10 or so Politoeds I've faced all fell to OHKO's.

Cereza

Tastes Like Candy
What makes Politoed so good in your eyes? Granted I'm only getting back into competitive gaming, but the 10 or so Politoeds I've faced all fell to OHKO's.
Politoed's DW ability: Drizzle. Now you can have rain without wasting a turn with rain dance and lasts until another weather comes into play.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Should a Pokemon be banned because it's broken or because it's overcentralizing? Or both? Can it be neither, or either or?
I'm far from being as experienced as you on Pokemon, however I got a decent experience about "balancing" other games.
The utopia would be to have a metagame where each pokemon has the same impact. This being said, I know it's probably impossible in the current situation.

So I'd say : both.
Being broken will bring a centralization (in a competitive context) even if it's not around the pokemon in itself.
If tommorow everybody got Heatran because of a broken pokemon with Genesect's coverage, it's not making the game better.
Centralization often comes from brokeness, but even if it's not totally the case. It's not good. Heatran is not "broken" but if everybody play it then there will have dugtrio everywhere, then shed shell etc.
In the end, we got a rock paper scissor to sum-up. This is what centralization creates ultimately.

I hope I helped/was clear :p

A player may not select an attack which has a chance to directly cause more than one opposing Pokemon to have been put to sleep directly by a move used by their team unless no other move is selectable.

A quote from smogon. So you're wrong and it doesn't go into sleep clause, because it wasn't a move that put the Pokemon to sleep.

So far, I have 3 Pokemon, 2 being the cores of my Team. Dragonite is my lead and with this set:
Dragonite @ Lum Berry/Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Jolly
Moves:
Dragon Dance
Fire Punch
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake

Standard DDNite set here. Outrage will be used with Lum Berry to cure the confusion once the 2-3 turns are done. However, that will leave DNite vulnerable to Steel types, especially Ferrothorn, so my other option is Dragon Claw. While it is significantly weaker, the Life Orb mitigates this somewhat. It also allows me to switch to Fire Punch incase the aforementioned foe switches in, which it might because of the Dragon type attack. Standard EVs, maxing Atk and Spe, and pouring the remaining 4 into HP. Is that wise? Or should I give it to a defensive stat so Download Pokemon like Genesect don't get their SpA boosted?

Empoleon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Nature: Calm
Moves:
Scald
Toxic
Protect
Stealth Rock

Specially Defensive Empoleon is my choice to cover the Ice and Rock weakness Dragonite has. Scald to burn physical sweepers, Toxic+Protect to stall, and Stealth Rock for residual damage. The HP EVs allow it to lose minimal HP from Leech Seed and Stealth Rock. 44 Def allows it to never be OHKOed by Dragonite and Salamence's Outrage (I think?). The remaining EVs go to SpD to become more of a special wall.

Ferrothorn @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
Power Whip
Gyro Ball
Spikes
Bulldoze

You may be wondering why I also chose to get 0 SpA IV. It is because I like to play very safe. Who knows, a Pokemon with flatter could come in. Anyway, Power Whip and Gyro Ball are STAB, while also getting OK coverage. Bulldoze allows it to hit Pokemon that wall Gyro Ball and Power Whip, such as Heatran, on the switch. Spikes may seem odd for a Choice Banded Pokemon, but it can be useful sometimes. Besides, it doesn't learn many notable moves besides support and IMO, being locked into them is worse. I'd rather be locked into Spikes since multiple layers can be set down than a move that is only useful the first time.

So, what can I add to improve the core a bit? Is Dragonite even viable as a DD lead?

Does Worry Seed hit through Magic Bounce? I was thinking of running it on Whimsicott (WS as Esp/Xatu come in and taunt), which brings me nicely to my next question...

How would be best to EV this Cottonee? It'll just be used for in-game purposes, but for an in-game trade Pokémon it's got surprisingly good IVs. I was thinking 252 HP/252 SpA/6 Spe and giving it an Eviolite for all round stats, but I'm not to sure.

Cottonee (Modest)
HP : 20 - 24
Atk: 16 - 20
Def: 20 - 24
SAt: 31
SDf: 20 - 24
Spd: 18 - 22
--AVG: 21.1923

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
DDnite is certainly a good lead, since it always has MScale at the beginning of the match and can usually pull off 1 or 2 DD's before it goes goes offensive. Your spread is fine; you could shift the 5 evs into a defense stat but it's not going to make a big enough change that Genesect becomes counterable then.

Your Ferrothorn's set is the one I'm most curious about. Instead of your current nature and ivs, you should use Brave and 0 Spe. Don't touch your attack or SpA ivs. Why? If you lower your attack ivs like you've done, your attacks will get weaker. If you don't put your speed to the min it can be, Gyro Ball loses power (and what are you going to be outspeeding anyway) Touching SpA isn't going to make any difference at all since confusion damage is calculated with the users attack stat.

Does Worry Seed hit through Magic Bounce?
No, it doesn't. Which means, that Worry Seed will override your ability, obviously.

How would be best to EV this Cottonee? It'll just be used for in-game purposes, but for an in-game trade Pokémon it's got surprisingly good IVs. I was thinking 252 HP/252 SpA/6 Spe and giving it an Eviolite for all round stats, but I'm not to sure.
There isn't really a reason to care in-game. If you are going to use it, you probably want to evolve it and make good use of its SAtk. Modest nature may be a letdown, but at least you can do something like Choice Specs Switcheroo.

By the way: Its EVs are always exactly 20/20/20/31/20/20.

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
IVs: 20 HP / 20 Atk / 20 Def / 31 SAtk / 20 SDef / 20 Spd
EVs: 220 HP / 36 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hurricane
- Stun Spore
- Switcheroo

Another thing: Don't use Cottonee outside of Little Cup. Even with Eviolite its defence is paper-thin because of its low HP, especially the defence of the imperfect one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)