Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

I like the idea of a town a lot. We should do this, with a limited amount of space too. It would be a fun challenge to see what people come up with. Maybe have different sectors in the map?
Maybe I'll get this going in a Plains Biome once the server gets updated

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I like the idea of a town a lot. We should do this, with a limited amount of space too. It would be a fun challenge to see what people come up with. Maybe have different sectors in the map?
I'm pretty sure its impossible to make a town smaller than hooverville, but here's the challenge:

-3 houses with doors and beds
-each house has two chests, ender chest, crafting table, furnace, enchanting table, and a roof
-a town outhouse with a piston flush
-a farm with reeds wheat melon pumpkin cocoa
-fit it in a 7x7x7 space.
-every house has to be accessible, beds dont have to be functional (since they changed the mechanics)

if anyone can match or top this there may be a reward involved

both of those are horribly inefficient why would you even consider using wood or stone brick when you have all the utility blocks available to you

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
but mine is more compact and more open :/
also my piston flush is nicer
But I actually have houses with walls, yours is just a bunch of doors and chests. I guess you met the requirements since he never said all of them had to be fully enclosed but it still feels dumb.

both of those are horribly inefficient why would you even consider using wood or stone brick when you have all the utility blocks available to you
What else am I going to make houses out of ;-;

I like the pictures, especially the nether wart farm. Didn't know sandstone blocks could grow so many!

Are there any more of the actual spawn building/plaza/area, other than the ones Sal posted earlier?

Mmm, I'm not too sure about the jukebox area. The coloured wood seems offputting and the fact that there's a cactus on the jukebox is... just...no.

Besides that, it looks like it's coming along nicely. I do love the suggestion about the create-your-own-town idea, it encourages community teamwork.

Wait, why are we starting off with Beacon towers and Nether Wart farms and all that? It takes away from the whole vanilla feel and feels like cheating. I'm not sure how much of the last smogcraft was magic'ed (circle stone brick for example) but this feels like going too far. How about instead there be space reserved for those farms and traps and instead once someone actually makes a trip to the nether and then kills a wither we can have a nether wart farm and a beacon?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The basic idea is that spawn is special and deserves special treatment. If we leave it up to everyone it takes months to tear down ugly shit and rework things and people decide to claim vast swaths of land right at spawn because they eventually want to do something on it and never do.

We have had enough of shitty spawns and are working at our best to ensure this one is not.

It still takes away from the vanilla feel though. Perhaps a better compromise would be to leave farms for the rarer items blank for now and perhaps offer incentives for players to go and gather the starting materials legitimately? And punish those who use the space for something else.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The problem really is that we started spawn small before, and thus people thought they could get away with building their small little huts and never do anything with them right at spawn. By setting a high bar with a spawn area that is highly built up already we are making a statement that the starting area is for things that matter and if you build you little shack right at spawn you will look incredibly foolish. You are not obligated to use these farms but they will still be there.

I mean really the New Forks spawn only got to the clean point (and even that is debatable) it is now at the end because we removed a ton of the inactive players houses from spawn because they built stuff and then quit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)