Ask an Uber Question, Get an Uber Answer (Read FAQs in First Post Before Asking)

thank you poppy

yeah< ithought so, where can I read 'Straight 31'?

poppy edit: read: = interpret as
oh, right. so, yeah, competitive(read: using external software to crack the game) never mind. I know nintendo are not well-received on here, but the official nintendo line on RNG is that is is 'against the spirit of competition' I wrote to them about this last year. so I suppose smogon competitive doesnt equal pokemon competitive, which makes sense for PO and equivalents, but does not fit with ninty hardware-base competition.

Never mind :)

Even if you don't have 31s in every stat is more or less doable to get positive nature with top speed, that will be the stat you are likely to need the most in an offensive pokemon.

Even if you don't have 31s in every stat is more or less doable to get positive nature with top speed, that will be the stat you are likely to need the most in an offensive pokemon.
yeah, I tend to do that with breeding, it just sucks with event mons that you cant even determine the nature... when I breed I breed for speed in anything that needs it as a standard... will usually settle for outstanding + 2x31 or superior with 3 or 4x 31 so long as the stat I dont use isnt one of the 31s... decent success so far, just wish keldeo could be caught instead of given :( getting off topic here. Thank you for realism :)

syrim

1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1
I can see V-Create Rayquaza being used as a Ferrothorn counter.
Unfortunately switching into leech seed and stealth rock damage, not to mention a potential gyro ball, make this hard to see.

But, V-create punishes teams for switching their steel types into a rayquaza already on the field which can be huge, as you can dent teams carrying common cores like ferro/kyogre/bulky arceus, and maybe kill one if you have hazards and extremespeed, all most importantly with zero prediction and no lock in to get you revenge killed.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
What moves would be the best to use on a Choice Scarf Genesect? I don't play Ubers so much, so I am asking, because Fire-type attacks are riskier to use than OU and there are much more Dragon-types capable of shrugging off an Ice Beam.

What moves would be the best to use on a Choice Scarf Genesect? I don't play Ubers so much, so I am asking, because Fire-type attacks are riskier to use than OU and there are much more Dragon-types capable of shrugging off an Ice Beam.
According to what I've seen, you should try a more physical set, something like -
Genesect @Scarf
252 Attk/252 Spe
Download
Naive (Hasty is you aren't scared of ESpeeds/Shadow Sneaks)
U-turn
Iron Head
Ice Beam
Explosion
Firstly, Genesect works best as a check to Darkrai/Mewtwo, both of which fall to U-turn. Also, you are right about the Dragons in Ubers - you just won't be able to touch some of them like Dialga/Reshiram, so the given moves allow you to check what you can. A boosted U-turn puts a big dent in Palkia (does ~45% at +1 iirc), Ice beam for Rayquaza and Groudon maybe (OHKOes both at +1), and Iron Head for Kyurem formes.
You can also use Thunder in the last slot with rain support, but then I suggest changing the EV spread to something I am not too sure of.
Hope I helped.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
According to what I've seen, you should try a more physical set, something like -
Genesect @Scarf
252 Attk/252 Spe
Download
Naive (Hasty is you aren't scared of ESpeeds/Shadow Sneaks)
U-turn
Iron Head
Ice Beam
Explosion
Firstly, Genesect works best as a check to Darkrai/Mewtwo, both of which fall to U-turn. Also, you are right about the Dragons in Ubers - you just won't be able to touch some of them like Dialga/Reshiram, so the given moves allow you to check what you can. A boosted U-turn puts a big dent in Palkia (does ~45% at +1 iirc), Ice beam for Rayquaza and Groudon maybe (OHKOes both at +1), and Iron Head for Kyurem formes.
You can also use Thunder in the last slot with rain support, but then I suggest changing the EV spread to something I am not too sure of.
Hope I helped.
My team is a sun team, I am using a classic Genesect set with U-Turn/Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt and 252 SpA and Speed.

My team is a sun team, I am using a classic Genesect set with U-Turn/Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt and 252 SpA and Speed.
Well your original question asked what a good Genesect set would be, and Salamence gave you a good reply. You should have mentioned that you were using sun ahead of time, since despite physical Genesect working better in ubers, I find special Genesect to work best in sun. The set you have now is fine. You could consider Thunder > Thunderbolt or possibly Iron Head > Thunderbolt. If you use Iron Head be sure to invest a bit more in attack.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Question: is the item Quick Claw banned in competitive play? I've heard that it is but I have no idea... and then if it isn't banned, is it viable at all?

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Question: is the item Quick Claw banned in competitive play? I've heard that it is but I have no idea... and then if it isn't banned, is it viable at all?
It's allowed. It's not really viable due to the luck-factor involved. It IS rage-inducing when it works, though it's pretty unreliable to be honest since the chance is rather low and even slow Pokemon typically have much better options for an item, especially since on Smogon metagames there is no Item Clause, so spam Life Orbs and Leftovers and whatever to your heart's content.

Currently on my team, my main poke to take on Kyogre is Gastrodon, for some reason i keep fighting Hp Grass Ogre, they keep predicting me, and i die to HP Grass. Is there any actually viable check other than Gastrodon or Latias? I know Palkia could work, but it's to unrelible...

Currently on my team, my main poke to take on Kyogre is Gastrodon, for some reason i keep fighting Hp Grass Ogre, they keep predicting me, and i die to HP Grass. Is there any actually viable check other than Gastrodon or Latias? I know Palkia could work, but it's to unrelible...
Shedinja, Palkia, Dialga, Ferrothorn, Blissey, or most bulky water types without a 4x weakness to Grass can take most of Kyogre's attacks

HP Grass Kyorge are pretty rare. It isn't in your average Kyorge moveset. Reliable counters to Kyorge really depend on the set is is using. Specs is hard to counter, but Pokes like Palkia or Latias can take a Water Spout and threathen it out, where Gastrodon and Jynx can take pretty much any hit (expect Thunder for Jynx) it throws at you, part from the random HP Grass' here and there.

Countering Scarf Kyorge is little easier since Ferrothorn and Dialga can take a hit and hit hard back or set ut hazards so that Water Spouts BP drops. Any other type of Kyorge set is stopped by every one of the above named Pokemons.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I think you can add Grass Arceus and Specially Defensive Giratina to the mix... but mainly, I use Ferrothorn (Power Whip) or Mono-Attacker Latias (CM + Roost + Dragon Pulse) to defeat the huge bloated whale.

There are really only a few true Kyogre checks that are viable, even if stuff like Gastrodon, Jynx and Shedinja are hard counters to Kyogre, you have to ask yourself if they contribute with something else.

All of the above named pokemon doesn't do that.
The viable checks, Palkia, Latias, Giratina, Ferrothorn and some Arceus formes does more than checking Kyogre.

What can Gastrodon do that Latias can't do? -Nothing
What can Latias do that Gastrodon can't do? -A lot

There are really only a few true Kyogre checks that are viable, even if stuff like Gastrodon, Jynx and Shedinja are hard counters to Kyogre, you have to ask yourself if they contribute with something else.

All of the above named pokemon doesn't do that.
The viable checks, Palkia, Latias, Giratina, Ferrothorn and some Arceus formes does more than checking Kyogre.

What can Gastrodon do that Latias can't do? -Nothing
What can Latias do that Gastrodon can't do? -A lot
Yeah, good luck trying to switch in your Latias against a Specs Kyorge. Both Water Spout in the Rain at full health as Ice Beam 2HKO Latias, where Gastrodon is immune to Water Spout and only 3HKO'ed by Ice Beam.

Yes Latias is in most cases a better Pokemon, but when a team needs a pure counter to Kyorge, no matter what the moveset is, then Gastrodon is a hard counter against it, where Latias can be beaten in some cases.

Thats not true, check this calc out!

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Soul Dew Latias: 152-180 (41.75 - 49.45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Might not be the best Latias set but its still better then Gastrodon.

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
Latias was in adv/dpp, and is still, an excellent Kyogre counter. Yeah, Ice beam hurt, but she's still able to tank it with SR easily, and anything else than IB isnt a threat. So basically, when you need something for Kyogre in your team, offense or stall doesnt matter, Latias is in most case the answer, and when not, Palkia/Arceus are. Gastrodon can wall Choice Ogre all day, but then what ? He's freaking useless, and even worse, can let something else setup on it easily.

Hi, I'm new to the forums, but have a question in regards to posting a counter in the BW Dakrai article (http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/darkrai). I have been playing Ubers on Pokemon Showdown for a decent time, and it seems as if Speed-Boost Blaziken is a great counter. A single high jump kick puts the nail in Darkrai's coffin and if speed is an issue, the Blaziken simply needs to protect for one turn to get the boost it needs. If dark void has been used and sleep clause activated, it becomes even easier for Blaiziken to revenge kill Darkrai. A speed boost may not even be needed!

Again, I was just wondering if there's anyway Blaizken could be put in the checks and counters for Darkrai.

It is a check, but a shaky one IMO. This is because two moves that Darkrai carry nowadays.

Substitute 18.076%
Thunder Wave 14.839%
Taken from Octobers moveset analysis. Both moves screw Blaziken hard, because honestly you will be forced into a scary mind game with protect on 18 % of all Darkrai. And on 14 % of them, you might be crippled for the rest of the match if you switch in.

Also, Blaziken is frail and takes 77.81 - 91.72% from a Focus Blast assuming Life Orb. Other than that Blaziken does fairly well against it, but I really would not count on it as my only way of handling it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)