Dragonite @ Life Orb
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Atk / 6 Spd
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- ExtremeSpeed
- Superpower
- Fire Blast
Forget Kyurem-B. This is the premier wall breaker/lead of BW2 OU. While he may not match Kyurem's raw power, he comfortably makes up for it with multiscale and unpredictability. I'll usually lead with this guy and start the match 6-5. He's so insanely cost effective in a metagame where number advantage can make a huge difference, especially if you just lost a key pokemon so early. Superpower just made him 10x cooler, too. He now destroys tyranitar and more importantly, Blissey and Chansey. Multiscale is also so useful as an initial buffer against most attacks. For example, he comfortably takes Garchomp's Outrage and Terrakion's Stone Edge while OHKOing both. Moreover, Extremespeed lets you get some good damage in after a kill. idk if the speed would help, but vs bulky toed and other 176 benchmarkers, you'd be better off lowering Dragonite's speed one point...I think. Ya know, to avoid the KO from ice beam and 2KO with DM+Extremespeed, but like I said idk, this is just theory. Anyway, tldr, use him. He's the perfect tool.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Your set seems amazing Metagross, but the Life Orb annoys me so much.
Against a Lead here to set Hazards, like Deoxys-D, you kill him okay, but lost your scale for nothing, and he did put hazards anyway.
Maybe a set with a gem, like a Draco Gem? would have the same punch, but would make a better use of Life Orb?

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Can Latias run this set? If yes, how effective would itt be?
To answer this question, yes Dragon Dance Latios is viable. It is mainly viable due to the surprise the set gets, but it can be pretty effective if correctly used. Earthquake Latios is always really interesting to use as you can easily take out some of your biggest counters (Heatran and Sp Def Jirachi).

Well technically, the question was whether or not Latias can run that set effectively, and the answer is no, simply because of the fact that Latias cannot learn dragon dance.

edit: well I mean, he did explicitly put Latias in his question so I'm basing it off of that, not an interpreted typo. And I just don't see why a person would ask how effective a set is when he quoted a post testifying for the set. Regardless though, eo ut mortus sucks.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I believe that he was asking about Latios (was the set he quoted), and Latios can in fact learn Dragon Dance. And also Dragon Dance Latios is by far not its best set, but it does have merit nonetheless.

edit: didn't see that, sorry. But yea latias can't learn dragon dance

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 236 HP / 100 SAtk / 172 Spd
Quiet Nature
- Pursuit
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

My standard T tar that I use on my sand teams. Mainly use thunderwave and pursuit. No need for stealth rocks since most t tars don't get a second turn.

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is the extra damage really noticeable? I mean you say you use Pursuit or Thunderwave the most and of course T-wave doesn't get boosted. Pursuit tends to KO what it needs to since the Psychics/Ghosts Tyranitar is sent out for are pretty frail. I can't help thinking that you would be better off with Chople Berry or Leftovers.

Why don't Tyranitars get a second turn? He really isn't a suicide lead. What's the point of bringing weather if you're gonna sack it on the first turn? Also agree with ala on why bring Expert Belt if you're not going to use the coverage moves that would benefit from it?

I can imagine want this one does: Forcing your opponent to switch into something faster while it use T-Wave. If you ask me I'd rather predict and have another coverage move. Nevertheless ..

Gliscor won't survive Ice Beam no matter of the investment. The chance to OHKO 252/252+ Dragonite is rather slim without the investment - should you ever face one. Salamence, Landorus and Garchomp all die after Ice Beam.
For Naive Tornadus-T you need 60 EVs to OHKO it after SR, 140 EVs to get it over 80% for neutral. Thundurus-T is immune to Thunder Wave, but should you get the prediction right, you need 72 EVs to kill it with Ice Beam after SR.
Flamethrower OHKOs Forretress, Genesects and Scizors. Tyranitar needs 240 EVs to OHKO Skarmory after SR with Flamethrower, otherwise it's get one more layer of entry hazards down (Fire Blast OHKOs physical Skarmory without EVs). Ferrothorn survives two Flamethrowers (three in Rain) and no amount of EVs won't change that (compare Fire Blast: OHKOs after SR, 0 EVs).

Conclusion: Expert Belt is fair deal as long as you are good at predicting and keep SR on their field. I don't think you need more than 72 in SAtk with a Quiet nature. Fire Blast is recommended over Flamethrower when you want to OHKO Ferrothorn and Skarmory (the speed is apparently tailored to outspeed it). Also, we might try a more specially defensive approach, since the physically resistances are rather neglectable: with Sassy / 176 HP / 168 SAtk / 164 Spe we can accomplish the same things. When we joss T-Wave for Superpower to OHKO Tyranitars and Terrakions upon switch-ins, use the aforementioned spread with Brave nature. And there is the pure Expert Belt set:

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 168 SAtk / 164 Spe
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- SuperPower
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Needs lots of prediction to excel.

Alex, I've been using Slowking a lot--not those exact EVs though. I've been using 252 HP/200 DEF/56 SpDef--and like you said it's pretty good for rain offensive teams, but I'm wondering if it's that good a pivot on sun teams. It's always dangerous to switch in on Venusaur, Ninetales, or Volcarona because Solarbeam and Bug Buzz hurt like a bitch, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong, I'm not sure. Toxic also seems to be increasingly common so there's that.

About the EVs, is there anything in particular that you lose out on using 60 Def as opposed to 200 Def that you've found?

The Slowking with 60 Def will be 2HKOed by scarf Garchomp's Earthquake after SR, while the 200 Def one will get out in a relatively good shape. I can't think of anything otherwise. As a bulky water you will switch in most of the time while most of the moves trown at you are special and will 2HKO you anyway.

The Slowking with 60 Def will be 2HKOed by scarf Garchomp's Earthquake after SR, while the 200 Def one will get out in a relatively good shape. I can't think of anything otherwise. As a bulky water you will switch in most of the time while most of the moves trown at you are special and will 2HKO you anyway.
You don't see Garchomp around too often, though, since it gets outsped and revenged by a lot of things, notably all the scarfers and Genesect and stuff. Still, that's something to consider.

This Pokemon is something that has worked pretty well for me :)
Reuniclus@Life Orb
Quiet Nature
192 HP/64 Def/252 SpA
~Trick Room/Psyshock/Focus Blast/HP Fire

In a metagame where it's all about HO and who outspeeds what, Reuniclus can work to some success with this set. Under TR, its the fastest sweeper in existence. To boot, it has a positive nature along with Life Orb and Max investments. Psyshock is STAB and allows it to smash the ever-so infamous Terrakion along with Keldeo, Breloom and Gengar. Pshock also by passes Blissey, though Chansey will be able to stay in. Focus Blast provides "perfect" coverage hitting Heatran, Hydreigon, Ferrothorn, Mamoswine, Ttar and so forth. HP Fire is the real surprise though. It has gotten me a lotta kills. Genesects and Scizors love walkin' in thinking they can have a field day...until they're burnt to crispy ashes by HP Fire.

Obviously this set struggles against a handful of Pokemon. Jellicent and Psychics can handle Reuniclus. Ttar can be introduced into the equation. Ttar is a great partner bc it OHKOs all of the pesky mons that bother Reuniclus. Ttar also can provide Rocks facilitating his Sweeps. And finally CB ttars can smash SpDef Jirachis with ease 2HKOing them with Crunch while Iron Head will 3-5HKO.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Slowking is an exellent switch in against Heatran, Ninetales, Latias, Scarf Victini, and Latios, all Pokemon that are very common in sun teams. In fact Slowking can switch easily against any Ninetales and then either proceed to paralyze something, or burn anything immune to T-Wave with a Scald on the switch (Xatu, Garchomp etc), making Ninetales a liability for the sun team. Even if the foe stays for zero turns in with Ninetales and goes to Venusaur predicting your switch-in, Slowking handles any sun poke 1 on 1, as it can take easily a Grass attack from them and render them useless with T-Wave.

Also why would anyone bring Slowking against Garchomp? This doesn't make sense at all. Slowking is a special wall.

Finally, no i don't know if you lose on walling any notable threat with only 60 Def EVs, but i know that Slowking needs a lot of SpD to do its job.

Slowking doesn't take SOlarbeam from Venusaur well at all:

252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur SolarBeam vs. 252 HP / 200+ SpD Slowking: 330-390 (83.75 - 98.98%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 200+ SpD Slowking: 205-244 (52.03 - 61.92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
So I'd keep Slowking away from it. Fortunately it takes Solarbeam from Ninetales better:

252+ SpA Ninetales SolarBeam vs. 252 HP / 200+ SpD Slowking: 148-176 (37.56 - 44.67%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Meaning you can more than likely get the TWave. I'd look out for Volcarona though, since they'll shit on you no matter what, unless they're the bulky QD variants, and I dunno how often those are run.

Venusaur doesn't run solarbeam that often due to weather wars. It ops for giga drain to heal life orb recoil or energy ball

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Atk / 6 Spd
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- ExtremeSpeed
- Superpower
- Fire Blast
Forget Kyurem-B. This is the premier wall breaker/lead of BW2 OU. While he may not match Kyurem's raw power, he comfortably makes up for it with multiscale and unpredictability. I'll usually lead with this guy and start the match 6-5. He's so insanely cost effective in a metagame where number advantage can make a huge difference, especially if you just lost a key pokemon so early. Superpower just made him 10x cooler, too. He now destroys tyranitar and more importantly, Blissey and Chansey. Multiscale is also so useful as an initial buffer against most attacks. For example, he comfortably takes Garchomp's Outrage and Terrakion's Stone Edge while OHKOing both. Moreover, Extremespeed lets you get some good damage in after a kill. idk if the speed would help, but vs bulky toed and other 176 benchmarkers, you'd be better off lowering Dragonite's speed one point...I think. Ya know, to avoid the KO from ice beam and 2KO with DM+Extremespeed, but like I said idk, this is just theory. Anyway, tldr, use him. He's the perfect tool.
This set is really fun to use. I personally use Dragon Gem too boost up the Draco Meteor and ensure that I retain multiscale against slower leads or if you OHKO something.

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner

Gengar @ Focus Sash | Levitate
Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
Substitute | Shadow Ball | Hidden Power Fire | Destiny Bond

To quote CTC, "Starmie is pretty much the best deogar counter barring scarfgar." This set turns that statement over on its head. With a Focus Sash, Gengar can beat Starmie, and by extension, nearly every common spinner with this set. Starmie? Shadow Ball OHKOes all Starmie variants after Stealth Rock damage. Forretress? OHKOed outside of the rain by Hidden Power Fire, and 2HKOed in the rain. Donphan? 2HKOed by Shadow Ball. Tentacruel is the only common spinner in OU that isn't 2HKOed by Shadow Ball or Hidden Power Fire, but it's susceptible to Destiny Bond. It's not too specialized, seeing that this set can act as a lure for Scizor and Rock Polish Genesect, OHKOing the two of them outside of rain. It can also serve as an equalizer, thanks to Destiny Bond and its incredible speed.
Sash gar is indeed a very candid counter to common spinners, if not all of them.
Starmie will usually attack the switchin which means prediction is key when switching in gar but I'm sure you can deal with starmie well enough. However I don't see sub working too well with sash and dbond. Especially since cruel has a chance to burn and protect stall etc. I would recommend focus blast slashed with Hp fire to hit stuff like heatran and still retain a 2hko on ferro and forre(sturdy), and kill tar without making it 1 for one. Thunder or pain split can be slashed over sub to deal with cruel and get back to sash range vs blobs and the like. I enjoy the old school sash bond gar alot! Hope that helped!

Edit: didn't see Pocket's post but yea basically same idea

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Sash gar is indeed a very candid counter to common spinners, if not all of them.
Starmie will usually attack the switchin which means prediction is key when switching in gar but I'm sure you can deal with starmie well enough. However I don't see sub working too well with sash and dbond. Especially since cruel has a chance to burn and protect stall etc. I would recommend focus blast slashed with Hp fire to hit stuff like heatran and still retain a 2hko on ferro and forre(sturdy), and kill tar without making it 1 for one. Thunder or pain split can be slashed over sub to deal with cruel and get back to sash range vs blobs and the like. I enjoy the old school sash bond gar alot! Hope that helped!

Edit: didn't see Pocket's post but yea basically same idea
Ye, seconding the Focus Blast.
I stole Trinitrotoluene's RMT Gengar, and built a team around it along with Deoxys-D and a Pursuiter.
I tried FBlast>Substitute following the advices of Undisputed and this worked really well.
Just for the same reasons, hitting Heatran, Terrakion, and when Ttar wants to trap you after you kill the spinner for instance.

Basically there is no spinner that can beat the core Gengar Weavile (provided they don't totally predict your Destiny Bond).
Since Forretress is killed by HP Fire.
Donphan can't touch Gengar.
Tentacruel is either killed by Shadow Ball if he tries to tank, or killed by Destiny Bond.
For Starmie, if Sash is up I can go Gengar and kill it with the sash saving me. If I get hit on the switch, I just stay, and if Starmie kills me, I revenge it easily with Weavile. The hazards are still up, I did my job ;)

Why Weavile? no other Pursuiter is fast enough to outspeed stuff like Starmie while being able to OHKO them no matter what they try to do with Pursuit.

Funny to see, that only a SuckerPunch/Foresight Hitmontop would put this core in a tough situation.

Ye, seconding the Focus Blast.
I stole Trinitrotoluene's RMT Gengar, and built a team around it along with Deoxys-D and a Pursuiter.
I tried FBlast>Substitute following the advices of Undisputed and this worked really well.
Just for the same reasons, hitting Heatran, Terrakion, and when Ttar wants to trap you after you kill the spinner for instance.

Basically there is no spinner that can beat the core Gengar Weavile (provided they don't totally predict your Destiny Bond).
Since Forretress is killed by HP Fire.
Donphan can't touch Gengar.
Tentacruel is either killed by Shadow Ball if he tries to tank, or killed by Destiny Bond.
For Starmie, if Sash is up I can go Gengar and kill it with the sash saving me. If I get hit on the switch, I just stay, and if Starmie kills me, I revenge it easily with Weavile. The hazards are still up, I did my job ;)

Why Weavile? no other Pursuiter is fast enough to outspeed stuff like Starmie while being able to OHKO them no matter what they try to do with Pursuit.
Only potential problem I see is Tentacruel in rain, since Scald 2HKO's Gengar (which may not be a bad thing if they're not expecting DBond) - but if Cruel decides to Protect, which it may as well since after one Scald Gengar usually won't be in range to sub, you're in trouble. Weavile can't really trap Cruel either.

Because of this, and since rain is everywhere, perhaps Thunder is warranted somewhere. If you choose to drop FB, Tar can be handled by double switching to Weavile, and if Gar's done killing the spinner it's mission accomplished anyway. Running Magnezone also allows you to forgo HP Fire since you can trap steels in a similar fashion.

I'm usually more worried about Gengar being setup bait more than anything else, and Thunder allows you to nail the likes of Sash Cloyster and Genesect with a 30% chance paralysing, which means Gar scores another kill.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
Only potential problem I see is Tentacruel in rain, since Scald 2HKO's Gengar (which may not be a bad thing if they're not expecting DBond) - but if Cruel decides to Protect, which it may as well since after one Scald Gengar usually won't be in range to sub, you're in trouble. Weavile can't really trap Cruel either.

Because of this, and since rain is everywhere, perhaps Thunder is warranted somewhere. If you choose to drop FB, Tar can be handled by double switching to Weavile, and if Gar's done killing the spinner it's mission accomplished anyway. Running Magnezone also allows you to forgo HP Fire since you can trap steels in a similar fashion.

I'm usually more worried about Gengar being setup bait more than anything else, and Thunder allows you to nail the likes of Sash Cloyster and Genesect with a 30% chance paralysing, which means Gar scores another kill.
Since I play it with Deoxys-D, usually Tentacruel shows up at start, and Gengar is in range to substitute after a Scald.
What I want to point, is that it's very likely that Tentacruel will be full life, thus there is no reason to Protect to get lefties.

After all the games I played there is only ONE Tentacruel that did not Scald when Gengar was in KO range. I could bet that he knew my RMT by the way.
The fact is that usually they are afraid of the Sub. They can Protect to scout the Pain Split, but it has no sense, since if they predict sub/split set, they won't let Gengar have this sub.
Ofc with a Burn, everthing is different.
But usually Rain teams start Politoed then Tenta, or straight Tenta, and I play around with Deoxys-D by keeping setting hazards to have an idea on how they predict Gengar.

I didn't want to say that Tentacruel is easy, since I rely on Destiny Bond, but I bet on the surprise factor, it always worked fine.
Sometimes I also just do spam Shadow Ball on Tentacruel, so once Gengar dies, I threaten Tentacruel with another sweeper. It works on HO teams, since Tentacruel will have no room to come in and out just to spin given the hazards are the sweepers around. It can seem totally silly to lose 3 pokemons for this matter, but in the meta with Hazards up, there is really few room to stop sweepers like Scarf Keldeo or RP Genesect etc.
It's not a 100% accurace strategy (and I don't want to make it look like that, what you say is relevant), but it sure does work a lot of times.

So yes, it can seem like I avoid the issue, but from the games I played, I never felt Thunder needed. And well, Thunder doesn't kill Tentacruel either, if you have been burned, he will stall you with Protect as he would have done with the other moves. It depends on the team in my opinion, Thunder could be a superior choice if your team can't force a Tentacruel out at ~70%. But anyway, against a Rain, they let your Genesect set RP and you're in a rather good situation, no matter your hazards.

*Against Genesect you HP Fire, Cloyster you Focus Blast, and Revenge kill it with any Priority, but anyway Hazards should be up so this shouldn't be an issue ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)