Underrated but effective sets in the BW2 overused metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
That Gengar set looks pretty cool, might have to try out a similar set on my hyper offence team. Speaking of here's an under rated mon I've been using as a backup sweeper:

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
speed boost
hasty nature
252atk/4apatk/252spd (You can move these around however you Wish, max speed isn't a requirement because of speed boost so you could run an offence boosting nature and/or taking evs from atk and speed to put into special attack to hit specific threats.)
- water fall
- crunch
- ice beam
- aqua jet

As implied by the bold aqua jet is the crux of this set. It may seem absolutely stupid to run speed boost and priority, your ability gives you all the speed you need right? Wrong. The crazy speed of the metagame means priority is often used as a revenge killing tool. Ice shard is an emergency dragon stopper, scizor puts big dents in opponents mid sweep and priority in general has made set up sweeping slightly less viable.

A combination of aqua jet and speed boost means you're not vulnerable to being revenged by priority users (except e-speed and healthy technilooms, the latter is a big except though considering it resists sr). It may seem suicidal not to have protect to get that first speed boost but it plays similar to standard sharpedo. You aren't coming in on anything other than psychic attacks and your own team's slow volt-turn so you don't take damage on the switch, sometimes with your opponent taking extra damage. Instead of protecting for your first move which might be exploited with a free switch into a faster scarfer you can secure a free kill with your priority and get your boost.

There are two things sharpedo downright loves; rain and hazards. Deoxys is an obvious choice for crazy hazard stacking. Politoed seems like the other obvious pokemon for the job but weather wars kill your momentum and sharpedo excels at hyper offence, he doesn't need the rain for prolonged amounts of time and it's more important for buffing aqua jet early sweep than the full power waterfall through out the entire end game. Sharpedo benefits much more from rain dance users with synergy and an offensive presence than he does from politoed and the annoying weather war it brings. Tornadus - I is decent, resisting loom's STABs, having u-turn, a hurricane more powerful than tornadus - T and priority rain dance and taunt, as well as a strong super power to crush ferrothorn who can stall you out. Other than that slower u-turn and volt switch users are Sharpedo's bffs for getting him in unscathed and doing half the job for him.

I use him for my HO team and he does both a great job sweeping late game and revenging. An important warning though, Sharpedo is FRAIL. He has like 60/40/40 defences and can be 2hkoed by even resisted STABs from weaker support pokemon. With hazards and LO he needs to be healthy to do his job. Rapid spin support is nice but not necessary as even with 3 layers of spikes and rocks up he has seven turns of LO recoil left. He's weak to both halves of volt-turn and Mach punch and the only notable opportunity to switch in is on an immune psychic attack. Unless you're absolutely adamant your opponent will use a psychic attack don't switch in with sharpedo, ever.

I don't see being weak to priority as a good reason to use aqua jet over protect on Sharpedo. Looking at the list of common priority users in OU (Smogon article), aqua jet doesn't really do anything to any of them besides Mamoswine and Terrakion, the former whose ice shard doesn't threaten Sharpedo, and the latter being fairly rare, as quick attack is only seen on choice banded sets. Scizor, Conkeldurr, and Breloom will gladly take your aqua jets and kill you in return.

Without protect, you can only come in on a weakened revenge kill or something you naturally outspeed, because aqua jet isn't powerful enough to threaten anything at full health. Even even with adamant and life orb, Landorus and Terrakion aren't OHKOed 100% of the time by aqua jet in rain.

I can see aqua jet being more useful mid game for revenge killing and damaging the switch in, but I think protect is going to be more useful for a late game sweep, allowing you to set up on anything not scarfed, while they're at full health. With aqua jet, you're not going to be able to do anything to Tornadus-T until you get the boost, which you won't be able to get without protect. Whereas with protect, you can just protect and OHKO Tornadus with waterfall.

Something I'm wondering though, if you protect on the switch (which will fail), does the next protect always work? I've heard mixed things about it and have never tested it, but if that was the case, double protecting on a scarf switch in would be extremely reliable, as nothing's going to outspeed you at +2.

If I remember correctly you successfully use protect if they switch, it's only if you both use protect that you fail. However I haven't tested it. While I do see the merits of protect my team appreciates aqua jet more because I can often defeat faster scarfers like genesect at only +1 after rocks and spikes.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Atk / 6 Spd
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- ExtremeSpeed
- Superpower
- Fire Blast

Forget Kyurem-B. This is the premier wall breaker/lead of BW2 OU.
I've seen this set before. Absolete used this same set with dragon gem instead of Life Orb and I've seen that set used in other Trick Room teams. it's good for wall-breaking.

SuperUpdatetime:

I have been away for like a month and it looks like a lot of good stuff has been posted. What I am going to do is have 4 winners this round to be added to the archive to accomodate for the large amount of sets posted. Voting will end on Sunday. Keep posting new sets if you want. Also keep in mind underrated but effective. A set seen a lot can still be underrated, but the idea is not to promote scarf genesect or calm mind jirachi. Try to choose more original sets such as charge beam alakazam from before.

A note on formatting: Please format them like a PO or PS! importable. If this is hard for you simply create the pokemon in battling simulator and export the text.

Sets:
FastFlygon Gothitelle
Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 220 Spd / 36 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock

ThunderBlunder Terrakion
Terrakion @ Salac Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat

DarkBlazeR Sigilyph
Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spd
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psycho Shift
- Stored Power
- Roost

Shurtugal Dragonite
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Nature: Lonely (+Atk / -Def)
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SAtk / 252 Spe
~ Dragon Dance
~ Outrage
~ Fire Blast
~ Extreme Speed

please work on formatting, always type the name of the pokemon and item

Etherdrive- I am sorry but formatting and that set really looks ineffective.

Gimmick Landorus
Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

formatting

Dragonuser Landorus-T
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Muscle Band / Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 180 Spd / 252 Atk / 76 HP
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

HabbibsHotDogs Dragonite
Dragonite @ Life Orb
252+Atk/252Spd/4Def
Nature: Naughty (+Atk, -SpDef)
-Outrage
-Fire Punch
-ExtremeSpeed
-Earthquake/Dragon Dance

Aquasition Tornadus
Tornadus w/ Flying Gem
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk /252 Spe
Moves:
-Superpower
-Acrobatics
-U-Turn
-Taunt

Gary2346 Breloom
Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Spore

Only one entry per competition, but I'll make exceptions this time because of long time period. If you want to post more that is great just specify which one you want to count.

DarkBlazeR Latias
Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levtitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic / Dragon Pulse
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect / Roar
- Recover

BlankZero Rotom-W
Rotom-W @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpAtk / 8 SpDef
Modest Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Hydro Pump
-Substitute
-Pain Split

PDC Scolipede
Scolipede @ Bug Gem
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

DrunkDemon Altaria
Altaria @ Leftovers
Trait: Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Roost
- Roar / Haze
- Heal Bell

Delta Nite Gengar
Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Counter
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Hypnosis

Gary2346 Gothitelle
The Bitch (Gothitelle) (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ice/Fire

Keldeo333 Mew
Mew @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
IV's 30 Atk, 30 Def (for hp ice)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Transform
- Ice Beam
- TailWind/Trick/Stealth Rock

superstar latios
Latios @Life Orb/Leftovers
252 SpAtt/ 252 Spe
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake/Psyshock
-Dragon Pulse
-Psyshock/Surf/Thunder(bolt)/HP Fire/Recover

Cuban Vader Stunfisk and Jynx
Stunfisk (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Static
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 8 HP / 248 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Ice Beam

Yeezy D Blissey
Blissey (F) @Leftovers
252 SpDef / 120 HP / 136 SpA
Trait: Serene Grace
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Charge Beam
- Ice Beam
- Softboiled

jle1076 Hydreigon
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Hasty
EVs: 64 att/188 SpA/252 Sp
Moveset:
-Work-Up
-Fire Blast
-Superpower
-Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor

And thats it for now, dont vote yet I will finish this tomorrow (thursday).

Update my Latias to this more refined set:

Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect / Roar
- Recover

Breloom @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Spore
- Low Sweep
- Bullet Seed
- Stone Edge

This is such a nice gimmick build. I had some success with it. You can outspeed pretty much anything minus a few Scarf users, then switch to anything you want. If they dont switch you have chances of getting a few move on them via the 3rd Spore turn. If they do switch they now have a useless poke and you still have your Scarf revenger with a very nice coverage (hits for at last neutral to everything minus psn).

I tested a Fling-SubSeed build but it sucked. Low Sweep hits for 90 after Tech (15 higger than Brick Break). Bullet Seed has an average base of 112,5 (32.5 higger than Seed Bomb). Stone Edge gives me super effective against 2 of the 3 things that resist Fight/Grass (Fly and Bug). Im going for Low Sweep because the -1 Spe can fuck up Scarfed things that cant OTK me (or are simply switched in). It is also my only way to take down Scarfed Terrakion (when he switches or if he misses his 80 acc moves).

Enter, Flame Charge Heatran.

Heatran @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid/Hasty/Naive Nature
- Flame Charge
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice
I've swept too many teams with this build, it's unreal. The crux of this set is of course flame charge, a speed boosting base 50 move. With all the choice locked genesect running around, netting a flame charge boost is easy as can be. Its also easy to net a boost late game when the oppenent is weakened and than heatran can easily clean up with its powerfull fire blast stab (especially under sun) Flame charge turns Heatran from a slow,easily counterable attacker into a formidable sweeper that many people are unprepared for. This set is basically the standard offensive set with stealth rock replaced with flame charge, which can easily be used by another teammate so really your not even losing coverage. Of course this set it easily revenged by a scarfer, but if the scarfer is out of the way its hard to take this guy down. Give this set a try it won't let you down.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Can you make the spread 4 HP/248 Atk/4 spD/252 Speed on Terrakion? Let's you sub thrice for berry and doesn't let genesect get a SpA Boost

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 Def / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Metagross has a variety of flaws, but this set is just a monster. Originally starting out on my TechniLoom team to patch up Breloom's weaknesses, it's both a decent wall and an attacker, as Metagross's base 130 defense, even with minimum investment, walls quite a lot of attacks. The main purpose is to get up that agility and start sweeping, or taking out a key threat due to the underused and under-appreciated Occa Berry. For e.g., due to his natural bulk, you don't have to worry about most Earthquake users, as you can normally Ice Punch them or Earthquake them. And, as for fire types, you can bring it in and either setup or outright K.O. them depending on the time of the match (like Heatran, for example, will not expect this at all and gets ruined by EQ, if it doesn't have a balloon, of course). And, if by chance, you still have your Occa Berry, threats like Volcarona, who are 2HK0'd by EQ, can't revenge kill you because you'll survive the fire-type move. Of course, burns can happen, but you need to expect hacks in every battle you come in.

Only real problem is the four move slot syndrome that Metagross is known for, making it more of a mid-late game sweeper.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Or simply do 30 def IVs
Yeah pretty much the same thing but better since you don't want to lose attack I guess. The 4 HP Evs are still crucial though

I also want to give a shoutout to CTC who introduced me to the last pokemon I entered (Charge Beam Alakazam) It's a sweet set, thanks bro

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 Def / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Metagross has a variety of flaws, but this set is just a monster. Originally starting out on my TechniLoom team to patch up Breloom's weaknesses, it's both a decent wall and an attacker, as Metagross's base 130 defense, even with minimum investment, walls quite a lot of attacks. The main purpose is to get up that agility and start sweeping, or taking out a key threat due to the underused and under-appreciated Occa Berry. For e.g., due to his natural bulk, you don't have to worry about most Earthquake users, as you can normally Ice Punch them or Earthquake them. And, as for fire types, you can bring it in and either setup or outright K.O. them depending on the time of the match (like Heatran, for example, will not expect this at all and gets ruined by EQ, if it doesn't have a balloon, of course). And, if by chance, you still have your Occa Berry, threats like Volcarona, who are 2HK0'd by EQ, can't revenge kill you because you'll survive the fire-type move. Of course, burns can happen, but you need to expect hacks in every battle you come in.

Only real problem is the four move slot syndrome that Metagross is known for, making it more of a mid-late game sweeper.
Occa berry could easily be substituted for Shuca berry if you're playing in the rain. While playing Metagross himself in the rain seems silly because hey you could be using Keldeo, Thundy or Torny Metagross happens to be a hard counter to Tornadus-T himself, giving you a leg up on other rain teams.

Voting for Thunderblunder's terrakion

Why?

Simple one word explanation:Wreckage

but for a more in depth explanation is that terrakion always tends to force switches, so its extremely easy for terrakion to get a substitute up and proceed to swords dance, But if terrakion manages to activate salac berry(at 25% health)and get a +2 SD theres pretty much no stopping this beast unless you have bullet punch or mach punch to back you up.

Occa berry could easily be substituted for Shuca berry if you're playing in the rain. While playing Metagross himself in the rain seems silly because hey you could be using Keldeo, Thundy or Torny Metagross happens to be a hard counter to Tornadus-T himself, giving you a leg up on other rain teams.
Possible, though in or out of the rain, if you're running those EV's, EQ won't OHKO you anyways (unless it's like a +2 Dragonite or something), so something like a Life Orb or Muscle Band or something would be better, unless you start switching the EV's around a bit.

DarkBlazeR Sigilyph
Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 Spd
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psycho Shift
- Stored Power
- Roost
I defiantly vote for sigilyph, seeing as if sigilyph is allowed to set up, it becomes a monster. Also this is a pretty standard set, so i dont know if it quite fits the title.

I defiantly vote for sigilyph, seeing as if sigilyph is allowed to set up, it becomes a monster. Also this is a pretty standard set, so i dont know if it quite fits the title.
Actually, Cosmic Power is the standard, rather than Calm Mind. Whilst this means that it's harder to set up, this Sigilyph can actually do a lot more offensively than the CP set.

I actually quite abhor the recommended sets here for Weavile, as they are complete let-downs for my teams!

Basically, the main purpose of this Weavile is to be a strong suicide lead, with strong STAB moves and max Atk investment.
It may also possibly serve as death fodder later on, and even a priority user if the field is clear!

A quite weird set with the power to make the common mach-punch users think about their next move.

Weavile @Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure/Pickpocket
Evs: 252 Atk/4 SPD/ 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant

-Ice Shard
-Ice Punch
-Night Slash
-Brick Break

Being that Weavile is a strong lure for a large variety of moves and sets from the OU metagame, you can attract opponents to your pleasing. Make sure you're teaming it with the right Pokemon and it should prove quite a threat, and help push your foe into severe mistakes.

Deluks917

Ride on Shooting Star
Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SAtk / 140 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Psyshock
- Trick

On rain teams. Can cripple or kill tons of problem pokemon. Hippowdon, Blissey, Chansey, Jelicent, Tyranitar, Gastrodon, etc.

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Voting thunderblunder's salac rak set. I've been using the set extensively ever since the release of pinch berries (trust me it's better than double dance), and have had great success with it in my rmt with GarytheGengar. The set is less prone to priority, more flexible, can dodge status, and breaks stall, it even boasts more longevity than lo dub dance. This is one of the if not the best mid/late game cleaners besides rp gene and lando and requires so little to set up. You can even take a hit with the impressive bulk and be at +2 +1 for an easy cleaning. Whenever I'm using rak I use this set or the stealth rocker set, but this is a reliable win condition on many of my teams and is a force to be reckoned with

Figured I'd post another one for you fine people...

Mew @ Lum Berry/Life Orb/Wide Lens
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid/Modest Nature
- Gravity
- Psychic
- Blizzard
- Zap Cannon

Mew is one of those underrated threats that you never see. Sure, it has Psychic as its typing, and though it hurts on the defense, it's weaknesses are not nearly as prevalent as you may think. Bug/Dark/Ghost are just not real common, as threats like Gengar and Scizor just aren't as common anymore. Regardless of its typing, Mew is just a beast, with the second greatest move pool in the game, it's not surprising that a few under-used sets can be made with it. This one is a great attacker, due to having Gravity and a move pool that greatly benefits from it.

Mew receives Zap Cannon from XD, and combined with Gravity allows you to cripple threats along with being able to cause a lot of damage. Add that in with whatever move tickles your fancy (preferably lower accuracy moves), and you have a potent attacker. The EV's can really be put whatever way you feel like, as a defensive EV can be just as potent. The item choice generally comes down to what you want: more power or better versatility. When using Synchronize and Lum Berry, your opponent will get crippled, and you will just heal it off. Of course, with Zap Cannon, it's a bit redundant, so having better accuracy or more damage is always a boon.

Breloom @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Spore
- Low Sweep
- Bullet Seed
- Stone Edge

This is such a nice gimmick build. I had some success with it. You can outspeed pretty much anything minus a few Scarf users, then switch to anything you want. If they dont switch you have chances of getting a few move on them via the 3rd Spore turn. If they do switch they now have a useless poke and you still have your Scarf revenger with a very nice coverage (hits for at last neutral to everything minus psn).

I tested a Fling-SubSeed build but it sucked. Low Sweep hits for 90 after Tech (15 higger than Brick Break). Bullet Seed has an average base of 112,5 (32.5 higger than Seed Bomb). Stone Edge gives me super effective against 2 of the 3 things that resist Fight/Grass (Fly and Bug). Im going for Low Sweep because the -1 Spe can fuck up Scarfed things that cant OTK me (or are simply switched in). It is also my only way to take down Scarfed Terrakion (when he switches or if he misses his 80 acc moves).
Have you considered Rock Tomb over Stone Edge? Technician boosts the base power of the move (50) by 50%. It has the same accuracy as Stone Edge, but with the added effect of lowering the Speed of whatever Pokemon you hit by one stage. The Speed drop could make it really useful to remove an incoming Tornadus-T so that it can't just click Hurricane and KO Breloom.

EDIT: After the Technician boost, Rock Tomb's base power increases to 75. Stone Edge is the obvious choice for immediate power, but Rock Tomb has a niche for the Speed drop. Your choice, I guess

Why would you want rock tomb for Tornadus-T? Stone edge OHKOs 0/0 Tornadus-T 25% of the time (87% min) with jolly nature, and 100% after rocks. Rock tomb needs near max to kill WITH rocks, and will never OHKO a healthy Tornadus. Jolly scarf already outspeeds timid Tornadus, so you don't even need the speed drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)