New to competitive battling. Please take a look :)

So... yeah. I've been playing Pokemon since 1st Gen, but after Black and White came out I have been toying with the idea of competitive battling more and more. Then i found Smogon. Looking up on youtube, i realised competitive battling is completely different than what i am used to (ingame battling lol).

Therefore i started building and planning a team in OU. I do not know much about the threats and checks and counters for each poke, so I did what newbies would do - i headed straight to the team builder in smogon.

So without further ado, I present to you my first attempt at a competitive team :).

Lead:
Forretress
[pimg]205[/pimg]
Specially Defensive
Items: Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Relaxed
EVs:252 HP, 176 Def, 80 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
-Gyro Ball
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Volt Switch

Frankly, i struggled between choosing Ferrothorn or Forretress. After seeing what entry hazards have done to teams on videos i thought i must have this system in my team. In the end i went for Forretress. Not to mention it works well as a good physical wall.

Followed by:
Bronzong
[pimg]442[/pimg]
Tank
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 HP, 84 Atk, 80 Def, 92 SpD
IVs: 2 Spe
-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Hidden Power - Ice
-Earthquake

After Forry set up at least a layer of spikes, i plan to volt switch into bronzy to set up stealth rocks on the opposing team. HP-Ice is so dragons dont set up like crazy on him. Earthquake is for the concidence scenario when i have a chance to do some damage...

Spinblocker:
Jellicent
[pimg]623[/pimg]
Utility Counter
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP, 216 Def, 44 Spe
-Scald (TM)
-Toxic (TM)
-Recover
-Taunt (TM)

Or go for Jelli to block teams from spinning away the entry hazards. Not to mention it works great as a utility counter for all the fighting types and moves that plague this tier.

Sweepers:
Darmanitan
[pimg]584[/pimg]
Physical Attacker
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
-Flare Blitz
-U-turn (TM)
-Rock Slide (TM)
-Earthquake (TM)

After seeing the destructive power that Darmanitan can be, i considered using him or Heatran for sweeping purposes. However, with experience only achieved from using team builder, darmanitan sports less weaknesses, hence the decision to use him. U turn can be used to maintain momentum if the opposing team comes in with a ground/rock/water counter.

Salamence
[pimg]373[/pimg]
Item:Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 100 Atk, 176 SpA, 232 Spe
Nature: Rash/Naive
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Brick Break/Earthquake
- Roost

My previous choice, Hydreigon is just too slow to actually pull off a sweep with this team, so i took heed Chastin's advice and took up Salamence in the hopes that its speed will be able to pull off a sweep.

Special Wall:
Rotom-W
[pimg]503[/pimg]
Item:Leftovers
Ability:Levitate
EX Spread:248 HP, 232 SDef, 24 SAtk
Nature: Calm
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

As PDC stated, my team suffers from total obliteration from common threats like Starmie and suggested a Rotom-W to counter those. So here he is. Hopefully this patches my team up somewhat. :)

The main aim of this team would be to facilitate sweeps for Darmanitan and Hydreigon, with Forretress and Rotom-W to wall threats should things not go as planned.

Finally, any critique is welcome. Changes, modifications, suggested teammates, stating checks and counters are all welcome as well. After all, i am here to learn.

And please also take into account that since i am not in the US, or any developed country, i have missed out on all event pokemon such as Genesect, Jirachi, and previous gen pokemon such as Celebi etc. Just working with what i have :).

Thanks for your time.

EQ is not worth a lot on Hydreigon. Roost is better for that healing, so Hydreigon can go back to wallbreaking.
I second this. Also, I'd probably go Seismic Toss on Blissey instead. You already have 2 Pokemon with Fire support on your team and you have no SpA EV's invested in Blissey at all. Seismic Toss works way better on this set, and it's perfect for Toxic stalling.

I am not in any way an expert, so I can't help you a single bit with your team itself, although I'm just going to warn you that any lead with Taunt will stomp all over Brongzong and Forretress. The advice I'd like to offer is not having an order for your team. After all, you did say something about leading with Forretress and Volt Switching to Brongzong. That's a big nono. I did that once and... Lets just say I don't like to talk about it. Anyway, I might also reccommend Classic Mixmence set over Hydreigon. It is true that Hydreigon has ridiculous total power, but his slightly below average speed will really, really, really, really hold you back at times. Here's the set:

Salamence @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 100 Atk / 176 SpA / 232 Spe
Rash/Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Brick Break/Earthquake
- Roost

P.S. Do remember that I am no expert

I second this. Also, I'd probably go Seismic Toss on Blissey instead. You already have 2 Pokemon with Fire support on your team and you have no SpA EV's invested in Blissey at all. Seismic Toss works way better on this set, and it's perfect for Toxic stalling.
after getting a way to bypass my school's wifi proxy and tested things out, i agree with you.

i had no reason at all to use earthquake on hydreigon. and even if the situation called for it, i realise it does not do much damage against ground weak pokes that counter hydreigon in this metagame.

the flamethrower does pathetic damage. but one thing i need to know is - how do you get seismic toss onto blissey? and also, i am thinking of running a wish support blissey for my sweepers, can i throw out toxic? since i find i often switch into a poke that is already badly poisoned either from toxic spikes, or toxic from my jellicent.

EDIT: reply to chastin

i agree with having no real lead. i realised it is actually better to lead with a counter to their counter leads.

the salamence with a fighting move DOES tickle my fancy... since many times i needed a fighting move and had none. Thanks, will try it out :)

EQ is not worth a lot on Hydreigon. Roost is better for that healing, so Hydreigon can go back to wallbreaking.
i agree. after actually getting to play it i find earthquake redundant and hydreigon has no staying power without some form of healing.

Thanks for the tip. :)

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Yeah, 0 Spe IVs are only good with Gyro Ball.
I don't really have time for a full rate so I'll just post this. This is entirely false. Running minimum Speed with Forretress is actually pretty useful since Forretress is pretty slow anyway so you aren't going to outspeed anything, and minimum Speed allows you to move after Impish / Careful Ferrothorn, so you can Spin its hazards away after it sets them up, which is a pretty good advantage to prevent it from setting up multiple layers. It's really the only thing it changes, so I consider minimum Speed to be superior.

I would also suggest switching Bronzong out for a Celebi. It would give you almost the same effect, but Celebi has access to Recover(and/or Giga Drain) and Natural Cure, as well as the 100 base stats across the board adding up to a 600 BST. You wouldn't only have to rely on Blissey for the aromatherapy. Adding Celebi would also give you that complete FWG core as well.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural
EV's: 252 HP / 180 SpD / 76 Def
- Giga Drain / Psychic (For STAB's)
- Recover (Healing)
- U-Turn (For switching while giving damage, or even to escape arena trap)
- T-Wave / Stealth Rock (For Status or condition)

@Jirachi, I did not know that. Thanks, i was just wondering if there was any particular reason he had 0 IV's.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hi, and welcome to Smogon!

The team honestly looks a little hastily thrown together, and it doesn't seem like it has a main goal and looks a bit mixed up between it's members. Although I won't overhaul the entire team there are some definite suggestions that you should use. You should use Hidden Power Ice on Bronzong over Toxic, especially considering you are already using 2 Spd IVs. Hidden Power Ice may seem strange on Pokemon like Bronzong, but it allows it to more easily check dragons like Garchomp and Salamence who are hit much harder by Hidden Power Ice than Gyro Ball. Toxic has it's uses, but it is usually on a secondary option in the long run. I also suggest changing to Gyro Ball on Forretress to give it a stronger attacking move. Toxic Spikes is a terrible layer in the metagame due to the few that get effected by it in the long run. It is usually not worth it as it doesn't grant you very many advantages over the opponent.

This team suffers from quite a few threats such as Venusaur, Starmie, Breloom, and set up sweepers like Dragon Dance Dragonite. Blissey is easily the most changeable member of the team, and you should definitely consider switching it for something more useful. Due to your weakness to Tornadus - T and other special threats without him, I suggest changing it to a Specially Defensive Rotom-W to still remain as a prominent special wall while curing your Starmie and Tornadus - T weakness. Rotom-W does a few things for your teams such as giving you another water resistance, and better check to Volcarona and rain and the power of momentum with Forretress. Rotom-W gives you quite the bonus and it's really grants you some flexibility.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers | Levitate
248 HP / 232 SDef / 24 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Good luck!

but one thing i need to know is - how do you get seismic toss onto blissey? and also, i am thinking of running a wish support blissey for my sweepers, can i throw out toxic? since i find i often switch into a poke that is already badly poisoned either from toxic spikes, or toxic from my jellicent.
I have no idea. Smogon says Blissey can learn it somehow; maybe you have to get it from Gen 3 or 4, idk. If you feel you can cause enough Toxic on the team, then its worth a shot (considering Toxic is a TM anyway and can just be relearned if Wish doesn't work, testing wish shouldn't harm you).

iiZqHD:I would also suggest switching Bronzong out for a Celebi.
i did not actually look up on Celebi considering that i have no way to obtain it ingame as I only started a legit pokemon journey in Black and White. I prefer to use pokes that i can find in-game, or trade for one. Somehow i doubt anyone would like to part with their Celebi if anything that they're getting back is an in game available poke. :(

PDC:The team honestly looks a little hastily thrown together, and it doesn't seem like it has a main goal and looks a bit mixed up between it's members.
haha yeah i agree with the fact that it does not have a main goal. however, this team was made before i had any access to online battling, so everything was in theory. suffice to say it didnt turn out too well after i finally has access to online battling. but it DID took me two months to put out a team with as minimal weaknesses in team builder. ah well, all that time gone to waste.

PDC: You should use Hidden Power Ice on Bronzong over Toxic, especially considering you are already using 2 Spd IVs. Hidden Power Ice may seem strange on Pokemon like Bronzong, but it allows it to more easily check dragons like Garchomp and Salamence who are hit much harder by Hidden Power Ice than Gyro Ball. Toxic has it's uses, but it is usually on a secondary option in the long run. I also suggest changing to Gyro Ball on Forretress to give it a stronger attacking move. Toxic Spikes is a terrible layer in the metagame due to the few that get effected by it in the long run. It is usually not worth it as it doesn't grant you very many advantages over the opponent.

This team suffers from quite a few threats such as Venusaur, Starmie, Breloom, and set up sweepers like Dragon Dance Dragonite. Blissey is easily the most changeable member of the team, and you should definitely consider switching it for something more useful. Due to your weakness to Tornadus - T and other special threats without him, I suggest changing it to a Specially Defensive Rotom-W to still remain as a prominent special wall while curing your Starmie and Tornadus - T weakness. Rotom-W does a few things for your teams such as giving you another water resistance, and better check to Volcarona and rain and the power of momentum with Forretress. Rotom-W gives you quite the bonus and it's really grants you some flexibility.
i agree after finally getting online to check out my team's efficiency. Your analysis now makes total sense to me. Toxic Spikes and spikes proved futile as most of the OU threats are now either levitating or flying types.

Gonna switch out blissey for Rotom-W and add HP-Ice to Bronzong.

@Mysteryracer: I checked things out and they say wish blissey is an event pokemon while seismic toss blissey is from gen3. otherwise there's no way to obtain a wish blissey or seismic toss blissey. i have no access to any other gen. ah well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)