Slow and Steady Wins the Battle (NOT TRICK ROOM)

Introduction

Sorry about the pictures had last minute technical difficulties. I had trouble submitting this and transferred it to Microsoft Word and back to the post, as not to lose progress. Anyone who can help is appreciated!
I've always had trouble making teams! Really I've had a lot! I'm not gonna list all of the teams I've tried, because I've tried everything stall, sandstorm, rain, volt-turn you name it! If I did list it, it would probably crash your computer.
I went to church this Sunday and prayed for the end of moral and social decay. I also prayed that I might make a good pokemon team, as cheesy as that sounds. Well the good ole' man upstairs granted me one of those prayers (I think). I guess the other one couldn't be fulfilled, because people are stupid. Anyways, later that night, I'm at my grandma's house when a brilliant (I hope) inspiration hit me. I begin putting together a team quite brilliant, if I do say so myself. I did some extensive checking and everything checks out. I've even won on a two:one ratio win:loss, if you think that's good many of the losses were due to EXTREME hax. Ex. Being asleep for FIVE F***ING turns, getting four critical hits in a row on one pokemon, being randomly frozen twice. This happened several times (hacks maybe?), and I raged very bad. This team aims to ROFL stomp other teams with stupidly powerful physical attacks and has a couple of "fun" surprises (heh heh).

The team at a glance

Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 atk/ 252 Spd/ 6 HP
Nature: Jolly
Moves
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Please do not spam me telling me to use Landorus-I. While this set may seem dumb, it actually works quite well. This set was featured in the underrated sets in the most recent The Smog it. It has a lot of surprise value, and I can count numerous times that something like Forretress has switched in expecting a U-turn or Stealth Rock. Only to give me 2 free set up turns and that's about all I need to KILL everything. Even after it has been exposed it finds it very easy to set up (via: physical attackers using intimidate).

Magneto (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs 148 HP/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 108 Speed
Nature: Modest
Moves
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon

The whole aim of this is to get rid of water and ice types as quickly as possible with Choice Specs. It also traps steels (usually entry hazard setters). Getting rid of these is crucial for my dragons to begin killing. It also forms a nice core with Landorus-T. Also, Volt-switch can buy me a free switch in, which never hurts on a team like mine.

BlueBeard (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Evs: 248 HP/ 216 Def/ 44 Speed
Nature: Bold
Moves
- Surf
- Will-o-wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

I looked at my core, and decided that I didn't 100 percent trust Landorus-T to kill fire types. I wanted a fire resist. I also needed a spin-blocker to keep my hazards on the field, because most of my sweepers can't quite net a KO unboosted without them. He also helps battle physical sweeper (especially Mamoswine *shudder*), by burning it or surfing it (I'm surprised that so many people stay in on this....WHY?!?). It also keeps hazards off the field, which Kyurem-B and Dragonite despise via taunt.

Black Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Terravolt
Evs: 252 Atk/ 252 speed/ 6 Sp. Atk
Nature: Hasty
Moves
-Outrage
-Dragon Claw
-Fusion Bolt
-Ice beam

Oh my god, this has to be the most bad ass looking dragon ever! His outrages hit stupidly hard. He has Dragon Claw on him in case there are still steel types on the field. Fusion bolt and Ice Beam and make great BoltBeam coverage. Dragon and Ice typing gives nice resistances like Electric, Water, grass and a neutrality to Ice and Fire allowing him to handle bolt beam well.
The main reason that ice beam is on here, instead of another coverage move is defensive Gliscor who Jellicent can only 2HKO Gliscor. Whom, we all know will be protecting and substituting all over the place. This set functions as an effective revenge killer. Long story short, Kyurem-B is easily the glue of this team, and if the opposing monster can't be beat any other way, throw a super overpowered Outrage it's way!

Forretress (F) @Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/ 176 Def/ 80 Sp. Def
IVs: 0 Speed
Nature: Relaxed
Moves
-Gyro Ball
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin

Obviously as I said before; I need entry hazards to net important KOs. I also needed Rapid Spin support for my Dragons. I never did like Forretress, but he's the only guy for the job. Forretress also helps maintain the illusion that this is a Volt-turn team. He's physically defensive mostly to help take Earthquakes (Especially Mamoswine) He also has Gyro Ball to hopefully get the job done. One last note; I substituted Toxic Spikes for Stealth Rock as nothing will be left alive long enough to take significant damage from Toxic Spikes.

Dragonite (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Speed/ 6 Def
Nature: Adamant
Moves
-Outrage
-Fire Punch
-Extreme Speed
-Dragon Dance

I considered a water type for this team slot, but then thought I had Magnezone, so this would be a better Fire resistance.
I had originally used Salamence, but I wanted another buffer between Mamo's Ice Shard and me. I use a Lum Berry to ease prediction when switching into Breloom or Venusaur. It also comes in handy to heal outrage confusion or any other debilitating status and opponent may try to put on me. I didn't really have another user of priority so extreme speed was an obvious choice in the 3rd moveslot. Dragonite for the most part is a back up sweeper.

Threat List

Mamoswine

I may have some preparations against this guy, but I still cry like a little b**** each time I see him.
Choice Scarf Latios

This guy is faster than Kyurem-B scarfed and Landorus Therian can't dispatch him like he can with Salamence.

Choice Scarf Thundurus Therian

This guy I suppose can be handled, but I'm going to have to be flawless with my prediction or bank on an untimely Focus Blast miss.

Gengar Dicking Around Behind A Substitute

Regardless of the substitute set it's a problem not being able to get hazards off of the table. Also, it could easily Focus Blast my ghost resists and Black Kyurem. Guess I'll have to again rely on Focus Blast missing or use insane prediction skills.

Tornadus Therian

This could easily wear down my team through U-turn or spamming super effective attacks. The Choice Specs version is slightly easier to handle. This is going to put some smack down on me. Focus Blast miss hopefully?

Conclusion

If you have any threats I missed or any good suggestions for my team (NO LANDORUS INCARNATE) please post here. Hopefully you guys will either prove if this team is or isn't good.

Hey man, one suggestion I'm gonna recommend is using rock gem on your landorus-T. I'll be back later to give a more thorough rate though.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey,

If you're having trouble with drafting in the right place, a good idea would be to PM yourself those drafts- letting you keep copies as well as work in the same, directly copy-pasteable format.

Regarding your team, it looks decent but one thing that I'm noticing is that you rely heavily on Kyurem-B in order to dispose of faster, powerful threats. So heavily, that without Kyrum you are trampled on by the simplest common things- a simple combo of rocks+dragon can KO your whole team, and Genesect in particular has no trouble running through you (though, it has to watch out for Magnezone) Another bad thing about this is that it means that anything faster also has the potential of cleaning your team. Pokemon like Terrakion or Keldeo would have a joyous day just spamming Stone Edge or Secret Sword. To help with all of these, there are a few things I think you could change to help.

The most beneficial change I think you can make right now would be to make Landorus-T a bulky set. Although It definitely does not have the sweeping capabilities of your Landorus, it has a lot of other positive traits that I think will help your team run smoother. For one, its Intimidate and U-Turn combo make a great answer to physical attackers in OU. Instead of using faster pokemon, I think going for bulk is the right way to handle your threats, since many of your pokemon already possess good defensive stats. Lando can now handle Terrakion, Conkeldurr, and many other fighting types with ease- plus, it's a great answer to Sand teams, which you might have a bit of trouble handling. Lando's bulk is very rewarding- it can take a LO Hurricane from Tornadus-T and OHKO back with Stone Edge, and it can take even max+ sash mamo's Ice Shard, as well as taking a pittance from Donphan's. Stealth Rock is here for support, though you could use Rock Polish again for some pseudo sweeping. It's not recommended though.

Another helpful thing I think your team can benefit from is a change of Jellicent's spread and a minor movepool tweak. I think Specially Defensive Jelli would suit your team best- as it lets you handle Latios and friends super easily, as well as Gengar a lot better at least. I'd also use Shadow Ball instead of Surf to hit Keldeo, Lati@s, and Gengar a lot harder- all four of which are potential threats you will be staying in on. With WoW, you still retain the ability to counter Mamo, though with Forretress and Lando it should never be a problem.

Since your special side is a bit lacking, I think you could potentially try SubCharge on Magnezone, as that would let you set up, but SubCharge loses it's pivoting ability, which I think is decently important to keep up its core with Lando. What you definitely SHOULD try is Earth Power over Dragon Claw on Kyurem-B. It's a pretty powerful move to use against the tier's steel types- as many are 2HKO'd. Rotom-W and Gengar will also be hit really hard (Rotom-W is OHKO'd) by EP since Teravolt cancels Levitate as well, eliminating both as threats.

Cool team!

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Adamant / 244 HP / 64 Atk / 200 Def
U-Turn / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Stealth Rock

Jellicent's spread:
248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe Calm
Surf ---> Shadow Ball

Kyurem-B:
Dragon Claw ---> Earth Power

Wow, a team with near-perfect coverage that can check a bunch of threats! Not bad for your first successful team, as you stated :P I looked through this team and literally tried to find counters, but you seem to have checks for everything I could think of. Mamoswine could be a threat right now, but Electrolyte's adjustment to Jellicent should remedy that. And you can Will-O-Wisp that annoying Mamoswine safely :P

Genesect in particular has no trouble running through you (though, it has to watch out for Magnezone)
I think it's safe to say that Genesect has no trouble running through any Pokemon in the tier :P

I'm pretty sure Genesect won't be trolling in OU for long and if I see him I set up with Landorus-T IMMEDIATELY and 2HKO it. I can't kill it immediately, but I can weaken it beyond use. Especially if there's hazards on the field (U-turn not so easy now at 35-22% of your health is it Genesect?).

Hey man, one suggestion I'm gonna recommend is using rock gem on your landorus-T. I'll be back later to give a more thorough rate though.
Why might this be? I'm just curious. Is it getting a KO that I'm not aware of, that Landorus Therian unboosted can't get?

Hey,

If you're having trouble with drafting in the right place, a good idea would be to PM yourself those drafts- letting you keep copies as well as work in the same, directly copy-pasteable format.

Regarding your team, it looks decent but one thing that I'm noticing is that you rely heavily on Kyurem-B in order to dispose of faster, powerful threats. So heavily, that without Kyrum you are trampled on by the simplest common things- a simple combo of rocks+dragon can KO your whole team, and Genesect in particular has no trouble running through you (though, it has to watch out for Magnezone) Another bad thing about this is that it means that anything faster also has the potential of cleaning your team. Pokemon like Terrakion or Keldeo would have a joyous day just spamming Stone Edge or Secret Sword. To help with all of these, there are a few things I think you could change to help. This team is well protected from hazards with Taunt from Jellicent, Magnezone traps and kills Forretress, Ferrothorn, and Skarmory all very dominant entry hazard setters. Forretress obviously spins away hazards. Getting and keeping hazards on the field will prove VERY difficult for most teams.

The most beneficial change I think you can make right now would be to make Landorus-T a bulky set. Although It definitely does not have the sweeping capabilities of your Landorus, it has a lot of other positive traits that I think will help your team run smoother. For one, its Intimidate and U-Turn combo make a great answer to physical attackers in OU. Instead of using faster pokemon, I think going for bulk is the right way to handle your threats, since many of your pokemon already possess good defensive stats. Lando can now handle Terrakion, Conkeldurr, and many other fighting types with ease- plus, it's a great answer to Sand teams, which you might have a bit of trouble handling. Lando's bulk is very rewarding- it can take a LO Hurricane from Tornadus-T and OHKO back with Stone Edge, and it can take even max+ sash mamo's Ice Shard, as well as taking a pittance from Donphan's. Stealth Rock is here for support, though you could use Rock Polish again for some pseudo sweeping. It's not recommended though.

Another helpful thing I think your team can benefit from is a change of Jellicent's spread and a minor movepool tweak. I think Specially Defensive Jelli would suit your team best- as it lets you handle Latios and friends super easily, as well as Gengar a lot better at least. I'd also use Shadow Ball instead of Surf to hit Keldeo, Lati@s, and Gengar a lot harder- all four of which are potential threats you will be staying in on. With WoW, you still retain the ability to counter Mamo, though with Forretress and Lando it should never be a problem.

Since your special side is a bit lacking, I think you could potentially try SubCharge on Magnezone, as that would let you set up, but SubCharge loses it's pivoting ability, which I think is decently important to keep up its core with Lando. What you definitely SHOULD try is Earth Power over Dragon Claw on Kyurem-B. It's a pretty powerful move to use against the tier's steel types- as many are 2HKO'd. Rotom-W and Gengar will also be hit really hard (Rotom-W is OHKO'd) by EP since Teravolt cancels Levitate as well, eliminating both as threats.

Cool team!

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
Adamant / 244 HP / 64 Atk / 200 Def
U-Turn / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Stealth Rock

Jellicent's spread:
248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe Calm
Surf ---> Shadow Ball

Kyurem-B:
Dragon Claw ---> Earth Power
I like some of these suggestions, but the main reason I put ice beam on Kyurem-B is to kill sub-spam Gliscor, and if Jellicent loses surf it's even more of a problem. Dragon claw is here in case being locked into Outrage isn't preferred. Like if there's a Heatran on the field or Magnezone died in a freak accident. Also, Jellicent carries surf to destroy fire types (*cough* scarftran infernape.) it's original purpose although, I may try Shadow Ball because it seems viable. The whole idea of Landorus Therian is surprise, also we already have Stealth Rock support via Forretress. Is it possible though, to run a bulky sweep? Terrakion gets shat all over by Landorus Therian with Intimidate and resisting Close Combat, plus he can fire off an Earthquake or set up. Keldeo is stopped cold by Jellicent if it's running HP Ice or a Substitute and Calm Mind set. If he has Hidden Power Electric or Ghost and no Icy Wind Dragonite can kill him. If Dragonite has Multiscale up he can survive an Icy wind. Also, if I may state, most offensive teams focus on one side of the spectrum to blast defensive cores (Amoongbro SkarmBliss). If I only had 2 sweepers on both sides, on most teams you would have trouble blasting past these. This also helps weaken physical walls, which once they're gone my sweepers can have a field day. I can say I will definitely try specially defensive Jellicent, possibly with Shadow Ball.

I'm pretty sure Genesect won't be trolling in OU for long and if I see him I set up with Landorus-T IMMEDIATELY and OHKO it.
A bulky set or even a speedy set won't protect your Landorus-T from being OHKO'ed by by a 4x Ice Beam. And Genesect also has Choice Scarf, so he'll be outspeeding you Landorus-T no matter what you do. Genesect should have got sent to Ubers IMO, but I guess every Pokemon gets the chance to test their skill in OU for a while.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The cool thing about Earth Power is that it does indeed do a shitton of damage to all steels not named Skarm / Bronzong, both who are destroyed by Magnezone. I can't see many situations where Dragon Clawing would have more effect than Outrage- especially since Kyurem-B likes to use power to hit past walls. Earth Power also disposes of Gengar and Rotom nicely. I still strongly encourage you to use it over Dclaw, since you shouldn't be Dclawing steels anyway

EDIT: Jirachi should be outraged, anyway lol

As for Taunt on Jelli, keep it, since hazards stacking up is definitely problematic since you need to bring Forretress in and actually spin them away. Taunt also helps prevent setup from TR sweepers like Reuniclus who can trouble you without it.

A bulky set or even a speedy set won't protect your Landorus-T from being OHKO'ed by by a 4x Ice Beam. And Genesect also has Choice Scarf, so he'll be outspeeding you Landorus-T no matter what you do. Genesect should have got sent to Ubers IMO, but I guess every Pokemon gets the chance to test their skill in OU for a while.
Actually I can outspeed it! Jolly Landorus Therian after a Rock Polish hits 619 Speed (Assuming max speed investment). Genesect with Choice Scarf, speed boosting nature, and scarf only reaches 489 speed. So yes, I can outpace him with just one turn of setup.

The cool thing about Earth Power is that it does indeed do a shitton of damage to all steels not named Skarm / Bronzong, both who are destroyed by Magnezone. I can't see many situations where Dragon Clawing would have more effect than Outrage- especially since Kyurem-B likes to use power to hit past walls. Earth Power also disposes of Gengar and Rotom nicely. I still strongly encourage you to use it over Dclaw, since you shouldn't be Dclawing steels anyway
I like being able to hit Gengar and all, but Earth Power (uninvested) can only 3HKO 252 HP Jirachi. Specially Defensive Jirachi is pretty much a no go. It only gets a 2HKO on Heatran specially defensive. Earth Power isn't even Guaranteed to 2HKO Bulky attacker Rotom-W (Arguably, it's deadliest set).
Rotom-W in Choice Specs is a 2HKO while, it's specially defensive version is a 3HKO at best. Specially Defensive Forretress is sometimes not even 5HKOd by Earth power from the current EV spread. Physically Defensive Forretress may not even be 4HKOd. All of Scizor's sets range from 3HKO to a whooping 6HKO at best. I will give you that it disposes of Gengar, Heatran and Magnezone nicely, but the last two aren't a problem, and the last two often hold Air Balloons. Just forgive me if I don't see much utility in this.

*UPDATE* Jellicent is now Specially Defensive Jellicent With Shadow Ball. Dragonite now runs Earthquake. @ Electrolyte should I keep Taunt on Jellicent or not? Sorry I'm being such a b**** about all of your suggestions I just want to make sure that people know what they're saying. I'm sorry everybody I REALLY need to read these posts more carefully sorry I'm so stupid :6, but I really would like a bulkier EV set for Landorus Therian, while keeping the current set

Well, Wade look at you doing something right for once. I guess cloyster could work nicely here. *mutters* Why didn't I think of this?
I'm very hesitant to give up rocks, as most of the counters are weak to them, or are the only entry hazard they are affected by.I dunno if barely surviving one of these counters is really good, because Rapid Spin is crucial on this team. I'm curious to know if Ice Shard is an option, because that might actually have a shot at killing some of these things. Also, Thundurus Therian, Tornadus Therian, Latios all appear on rain teams with Politoed having 18% usage or something like that. It's very likely I'd be fighting more than one of these counters, and if even one of these is alive there are still going to be MANY problems. So, I'll consider this, (It beats Mamo, but then again so does Forretress.) but I'm rather unsure extra firepower never hurts I guess.

@MysteryRacer This calculation assumes that Genesect is not on the field yet. Also I'm pretty confident that come Dec. 2 Genesect will be leaving OU, as even if it's not proven broken, like 75% of teams I've seen have a Genesect if it's not banned due to brokeness it will be banned due to overcentralization. This calc. assumes I have unexpectedly set up a rock polish surprising the opponent and so many derpy players switch in Genesect to stop my Landorus-T. Genesect again takes 2/3 to 3/4 of it's health from 1 boosted Earthquake. With Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes he has a 37.5% chance of OHKOing with an unboosted EQ

yo ben im thinking Landorus Incarnate might work well! Lol
No but seriously a good team.
This is just a suggestion, but if you are willing to give up rocks getting rid of forretress would be a good idea...

Cloyster@Focus Sash
Ability-Skill Link
Nature-Adamant
-Moves-
~ Icicle Spear
~ Rapid Spin
~ Spikes
~ Razor Shell / Ice Shard
-Evs-
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe --or-- 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
this takes out all of your counters while also getting spikes up along with having access to rapid spin. the focus sash gives you reliable spiking capabilities as well as surprising your threats if they could potentially KO. The first ev spread is only really there for a semi bulk increase for spiking while the second set is if you will use it primarily to take out threats.

Thx ben... (sort of) Ice shard is an option over razor shell. if you are worried about picking something off. Mamoswine resists ice type attacks with Thick fat so that is why you would use razor shell. changing post now!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)