Wooper used ice butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Ok, this was inspired by the theorymon thread, but is in fact the complete opposite. What moves on some pokemon do you think shouldn't be on there - and why. Like Furret, the surfing Sentret (pretty self-explanatory that one) or the fact that half the birds can now create heat from their wings. Now obviously Pokemon isn't realistic, but when you see a Drowzee emitting poison gas you can't help but say "WTF!?"

Surfing Tauros, Bouffalant, Snorlax, Stoutland, etc...while the transport part I get (it's just swimming), in battle they obviously create a wall of water. Is GameFreak saying these Pokèmon are actually waterbenders?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just to get this out of the way, all of the Pokemon that learn punching moves that have no arms.

Following my post in the theorymon thread, quite a lot of mons got roost despite not having feathers. This counts for most bugs, and a lot of legies like zekrom, reshiram, kyurem, latias, latios, (mew), and also hydreigon, gliscor etc. When looking at Japanese, roost is translated as feather rest. Which puts even more emphasis on the having or not having of feathers.

edit: bats got it too: zubat, golbat, crobat, woobat, swoobat. This list could go on for a while.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Genesect's giant cannon was supposed to be an attachment made by Team Plasma when they revived it, so it doesn't seem too unreasonable that him using Flamethrower and Ice Beam (and Thunderbolt) is part of that.

Well, this thread looks interesting enough. I'll get the big elephant in the room out of the way first:

Gastly w/Elemental Punches: dafuq?

Gyarados w/Fire Blast: I remember seeing this in Pokemon Stadium as a kid, and I was like "Whaaat? The computer's cheating!" It still makes no sense why he has this. I get that he's somewhat of a dragon, but....he's a water dragon. Like, wth?

Forretress w/Zap Cannon + Volt Switch: How does a metal bagworm generate electricity? Yeah I'm lost here.

I can kinda understand a snorlax surf. I mean if a lax belly flopped In a puddle it other watery area it would make a pretty big splash xD

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dugtrio gets Aerial Ace and that pretty much defies all logic, considering no one knows what its body looks like.

Come to think of it, it could be a bird, like this

brb creating art thread

How does any non psychic learn protect for that matter. I mean I can see a psychic type doing that, but a yanmega or politoad, no way.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Rhydon has had Surf in its movepool since Gen. I... In Gen. III, Aggron followed suit. There is a quite cool drawing by Bummer depicting a surfing Aggron.

Dugtrio gets Aerial Ace and that pretty much defies all logic, considering no one knows what its body looks like.

Come to think of it, it could be a bird, like this

brb creating art thread
Isn't Aerial Ace based on some form of Japanese sword technique? I think I remember reading that somewhere.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
There is always that stupid random Zigzagoon with Surf on the beach south of Slateport that *always* catches me out.

Well, this thread looks interesting enough. I'll get the big elephant in the room out of the way first:

Gyarados w/Fire Blast: I remember seeing this in Pokemon Stadium as a kid, and I was like "Whaaat? The computer's cheating!" It still makes no sense why he has this. I get that he's somewhat of a dragon, but....he's a water dragon. Like, wth?
Gyarados breathing fire is fine
Producing electricity seems a bit more questionable

Gyarados breathing fire is fine
Producing electricity seems a bit more questionable
Well how can water produce fire? LOL that sounds like a cool experiment xP

Just thought of this as well, How can pidgey or spearow fly you places. Thats got to look a bit weird to people under you.
(It makes sense that it learns fly, But im wondering how it flys You!)

Well how can water produce fire? LOL that sounds like a cool experiment xP
It's not like it is made of water. Breathing fire is a "thing" with serpents and dragons and junk.
Just seems a bit....off for the flying (x4 weak to lightning) sea serpent to produce thousands of volts of electricity.
At least Starmie & Lapras get around it by oooOOOoo psychic powers OooOOOOo

Additional confusion: Why does Kyurem get Roost.
This thing

which has 0 feathers anywhere on the body. The wings don't even work as wings like with Zekrom; it's only ever shown jumping around.

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Im not sure if this belongs here but im REALLY mad at gyrados being flying and not dragon. I mean, look at it, being all big and learning all them dragon moves.
Also, lot of pokes seems to summon toxic out of nowhere. How blissey, the happinness pokemon, can make a pokemon get deeply poisoned?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Following my post in the theorymon thread, quite a lot of mons got roost despite not having feathers. This counts for most bugs, and a lot of legies like zekrom, reshiram, kyurem, latias, latios, (mew), and also hydreigon, gliscor etc. When looking at Japanese, roost is translated as feather rest. Which puts even more emphasis on the having or not having of feathers.

edit: bats got it too: zubat, golbat, crobat, woobat, swoobat. This list could go on for a while.
Mmmm... In Japanese, 羽 (hane) means "feather" but it also means "wing."

The words are not distinguished in Japanese. For instance, there is an airport in Japan called "Hane-da" (Wing Field), and you know airplanes don't have feathers. So planes, bats, birds, bugs, etc. all have "hane", meaning "wing" here.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
What I don't get about GameFreak is just one simple thing:

Snorlax gets Selfdestruct. Like seriously, can you imagine tiny bits of Snorlax just flying around everywhere? I can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)