np: BW OU Suspect Testing Round 8 - Mr. Roboto (SEE POST #240)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not like DL boost lets it kill Dragonite through MultiScale, so I don't see where the boost actually matters other than a stronger U-turn (so broken!)
Acutally, a timid life orb-down load boosted ice beam can still one shot a dragonite through multi-scale.

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Genesect Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 120+ SpD Ninetales: 155-182 (44.28 - 52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Genesect Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 224+ SpD Jirachi: 199-235 (49.25 - 58.16%) -- 99.61% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, guaranteed KO after Spikes
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Genesect Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 325-385 (89.28 - 105.76%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Genesect Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 192+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 276-328 (68.31 - 81.18%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Genesect Thunderbolt vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 183-216 (49.32 - 58.22%) -- 64.45% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Genesect Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Rotom-W: 211-250 (69.63 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Genesect Bug Buzz vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-B: 296-348 (75.51 - 88.77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
And most of the pokemons can either one shot genesect or deal massive damage to Genesect in return.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Genesect is NOT BROKEN. A lot of the people against keeping him OU say that his various sets can take out all of his counters with the appropriate coverage move. But Genesect donesn't have all of the appropriate coverage moves! He can only have three, at the most four (and if he has four, chances are he's Banded/Specs, which you should be bale to handle easily if you are a good battler)!
People used argument that Deoxys-S wasn't broken because it couldn't have every coverage move at once, as well. The problem is that it forces you to guess at its set and hope that it doesn't have the coverage move that will allow it to sweep/get past your check.

Not only that but if you don't have Heatran, Blissey, Rotom-H, Rotom-W, Tyranitar, Ninetales, Tentacruel, Kyruem-B, Volcarona, Magnezone (YEAH, HE'S A COUNTER TO SCARF), or RainRachi on your team, chances are you will probably have another Pokémon who can come in on whatever coverage move Genesect uses and KO because 99 speed is just NOT FAST ENOUGH.
Heatran is Genesect's most reliable check, since Genesect has to run uncommon sets with HP water/ground to get past it. As for the rest of them, Geneseect can reliably deal with all of them. Blissey can't take repeated U-turns, Rotom-H is SR weak and if Genesect just u-turns out as you switch in, sucks to be you, Tyranitar gets hit hard by both bug buzz and u-turn, ninetales is SR weak and is 2hko'd by +1 thunderbolt after rocks, Tentacruel can switch in on a flamethrower or ice beam, but loses to it 1v1 otherwise, Kyurem-B is SR weak, Volcarona switching in on Genesect at any given point in the match is very situational since it has to avoid switching in on rocks at all cost, and Magnezone still has to worry about the Expert belt set if it isn't scarfed. I wouldn't have dismissed Genesect's stealth rock weak checks if it didn't have u-turn, allowing it to completely bypass them so easily.

Remember when Thundurus-T came out? Everyone was saying how horrible his speed tier was and how he would't be strong enough because he was too easily outsped? Yeah, he was! And you know who else is easily outsped? Genesect!
Thundurus-T doesn't have access to the godly coverage like Genesect does, making it much less able to sweep, and it also has to worry about ground types switching in on choiced volt-turns, making it less effective at stealing momentum.

Wanna know how to beat Genesect? Hazards. Set up hazards and Genesect will fall easily. The amount of switching that most Genesect do will wear him down quickly. The Scarf set isn't the only one switching in and out a lot either. The Ebelt set also switches because it's bluffing the Scarf.
Oh, really? I would have never guessed. Let's deal with this pokemon that forces switches so easily and racks up hazard + u-turn damage by using hazards.

As for the Rock Polish set, I run a Rock polish Genesect on the team I'm currently putting on display in my RMT (hint hint...click the link), and the Giga Drain set is simply hard-walled by any Fire type. That's all there is to it.
Remind me. How many fire types are in OU?

If it has Tbolt over Giga Drain, then Rotom-W, Gastrodon (and to a lesser extent, Quagsire) all hard-wall it.
Sure, but how often do you actually see RP Genesect not run Giga Drain?

Sun teams also give RP Genesect a hard time. If you see a Genesect on your opponent's team and you're running sun, the way to counter it is to GET YOUR GODDAMN VENUSAUR OUT BEFORE THEY USE THEIR RP GENESECT. I use one! I know! You get Venusaur out before Genesect, there's nothing he can do about it.
This is true, as long as you have sun up.

And what about Breloom! Adamant Fight Gem Mach Punch does a hefty amount to Genesect, so if you have hazards up and Breloom, Genesect is going down. Or, if you get a swords dance up before Genesect comes in, then you can straight up KO it right there with the Life Orb set. Even if you don't if the Genesect is using the LO set, then just let it whittle it's health down before you send in Breloom, and THEN KO it.
Genesect is very rarely going to try to deal with breloom, and, if it does, it's going to be in in great health, since your opponent will know that Breloom is going to deal ~55% from a +0 LO mach punch. Saying "whittle its health down before... breloom" sounds great on paper, but, as I just said, Genesect isn't even going to attempt to deal with it if it isn't in good health.

The point is, if your team doesn't have any of those things in it, I'm sorry, but you're just not prepared for most of OU! If Genesect is the most common threat out there, why don't you have one of those things on your team? That's a pretty long list of things you can add to your team, one of which is just "fire type!" That's a pretty simple thing, isn't it? I just think that Genesect is way easier to counter than people are making it seem.
You're oversimplifying how easy it is to deal with. While it's true that most of the pokemon you listed are able to deal with some variant of it, Genesect has a way to get around all of them by itself, bar heatran (Even though it can use HP ground/water). Lastly, using bolded, all caps phrases doesn't make your point any more convincing.

Genesect's main strength movepool-wise isn't an insanely good coverage with three moves (Something pokémon such as Hydreigon do have) but the fact almost any combination of item and moveset is viable. Choice sets always have U-Turn, while Rock Polish sets have... Rock Polish, but other than that you have absolutely no idea of which other moves it may be carrying - the Genesect your opponent has could have the exact move it needs to turn your Genesect check into a liability, even if that move is rather uncommon (HP Ground/Water, the latter 2HKOing Specially Defensive Rotom-H and Heatran in Rain on Choice sets if Genesect gets a Special Attack boost)

I'm not going to say anything else since I don't think I should have written this on the first place :P (As I'm not even close to the rating that is required for voting)

You're oversimplifying how easy it is to deal with. While it's true that most of the pokemon you listed are able to deal with some variant of it, Genesect has a way to get around all of them by itself, bar heatran (Even though it can use HP ground/water). Lastly, using bolded, all caps phrases doesn't make your point any more convincing.
Well theres no need to attack me for my formatting :'( but point taken.

It sucks having to debate Genesect's strength on paper because with all of his viable sets, he pretty much can't be beat. I'm really only speaking from my experience with my own Genesect, which obviously only has one moveset, meaning it is stopped cold by the threats that wall that particular threat. I'm guilty of looking at it solely on paper too, because, as you said, many of Genesect's counters can be taken out by teammates. All he has to do is U-Turn out and or switch and he's safe and now your counter is the one in danger. I guess that Genesect does seem pretty broken if you look at him having any number of possible sets, and maybe you have to. I'm just saying that I don't have too much of a problem dealing with Genesect in real battles, because really the only sets I ever see are Scarf (sometimes with Bug Buzz) and Rock Polish with Giga Drain, which I think are easy to spot right away depending on how the opponent uses them, and can be dealt with easily enough once the set has been discovered.

Of course, my opinion matters very little. I'm certainly not a high level battler, and I didn't even try to get the reqs for this vote, so in the end it doesn't matter at all what I think or say haha.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
And most of the pokemons can either one shot genesect or deal massive damage to Genesect in return.
The point is that these Pokemon are taking massive damage from something they are supposed to (and generally do) check. If the Genesect user simply fires off an attack instead of using Rock Polish, all of these checks (sans Volcarona, who only outspeeds with max Speed anyway) are liable to be knocked out; especially (minimum investment) Kyurem-B and Tentacruel who are OHKOd by the proper move after SR.

I would prefer Genesect gone, but mostly so everyone stops bitching about it. If you really want to fuck it up while you can though, try Trick Room Victini!

I agree completely with Bent1ey's post.
Pocket, most of the counters you brought up can be beaten with the right moveset. The problem with Gene is that it is the Schrodinger's (prolly spelled that wrong) Cat of competitive Pokemon. Rotom-W is a counter, unless it packs Giga Drain. Tentacruel works, but Gene better not have Thunder/bolt. Blissey walls it, unless, of course, its CB. Heatran can take most attacks, but HP Ground kills it instantly. And Genesect can viably run those options. The only way to stay safe from a surprise move is to assume that it is, in fact, running that move. Therefore, we have to play as though Genesect is running ALL those moves, until proven otherwise. The only Pokemon I trust to fully counter Genesect is Sp. Def Jirachi in the rain, because there really isn't anything Genesect can run that will seriously hurt it. You could make arguments for Rotom-H and Volcarona, but Rotom-H doesn't do much else from that, and relying on Pokemon that are weak to SR to counter a Pokemon that is famous for using U-Turn is just dumb.

So we're going to rely on scouting its moves, right? And how are we to do that? If Genesect is coming in, its going to come in on something that it beats, and either forces it out and sets up/U-turns, or kills it. Do we start using Protect on every Pokemon that's Gene weak, so that we can see what it does?

To fully check every Genesect variant, you need at least one of the following
-either Sp Def Jirachi in rain, or a pairing that can take all of Genesect's possible attacks.
-a Choice Scarfed Pokemon with more base Speed than Genesect, and can beat it 1 on 1.
-a Rapid Spinner to minimize the damage hazards do each time Genesect U-turns, or absolutely amazing skills with Xatu/Espeon.

Also, running any Pokemon weak to any of Genesect's common attacks and slower than it is a terrible idea, since it forces you out. Salamence is awesome these days, never mind that ScarfChomp outspeeds it, and Mamoswine can wipe it out. SDTerrakion is scary as ever, despite every relevant Scarfer outspeeding it. But as soon as ScarfGenesect outspeeds something that it can OHKO, that Pokemon falls off the face of the earth.

It's hard to justify banning a Pokemon when handful of hard counters and plentiful of checks exist in the metagame. Blissey and Heatran are not the only ones that counters Genesect. Try Rotom-H, Ninetales, Tentacruel, Rotom-W, Kyurem-B, Jirachi in the rain, Volcarona, or Tyranitar (for RP). Lol that took me 5 seconds to come up. Now try and name this many counters to SD Terrakion.
This is the effect it's having on the meta. Blissey is pretty lackluster outside in BW2, Ninetales and Tyranitar are weather inducers, Tentecruel is only ran in rain and sand, Jirachi needs to be in the rain to be a counter, and Volcanora requires spin support and works best in the sun. Which means Heatran, Rotom-H(nowhere near common and needs spin support), and Rotom-W(Giga Drain is common so this is iffy) as non-weather options.

Y'know maybe it's just me, but I never really liked the "use Sp. Def Jirachi in the rain" counter. I'm not arguing for or against Genesect's brokenness here (in fact I'm pretty ambivalent) but I don't really like the idea of not only having to carry two pokemon for a reliable counter to one, but having to set up an entire type of team to go along with those two pokemon (you can't count on the Genesect user to be running Politoed). Granted, Jirachi and rain are pretty damn awesome and ubiquitous in their own rights, but it still kinda bugs me.

Articblast said:
I would prefer Genesect gone, but mostly so everyone stops bitching about it. If you really want to fuck it up while you can though, try Trick Room Victini!
Trick Room in general fucks up Genesect and the HO teams it brings with it pretty bad, but I doubt it'll become popular.

This is the effect it's having on the meta. Blissey is pretty lackluster outside in BW2, Ninetales and Tyranitar are weather inducers, Tentecruel is only ran in rain and sand, Jirachi needs to be in the rain to be a counter, and Volcanora requires spin support and works best in the sun. Which means Heatran, Rotom-H(nowhere near common and needs spin support), and Rotom-W(Giga Drain is common so this is iffy) as non-weather options.
First of all, not sure what you mean by "the effect it's having"--these pokemon are all completely viable in their own right, and it's perfectly natural for good OU mons that happen to check one of the most used and dangerous (yes, sect is a threatening mon) pokemon in the OU meta to become more common (not that they really have, at least to my knowledge).
Anyway, it's true that the pink blobs are less used than in previous gens, but they're still plenty viable on stall teams (and honestly, that's really the only type of team they should ever have been used on). Tales and ttar are weather inducers--yes, you have to have a weather team to use them, but on the other hand, that makes them automatically some of the most useful pokes in OU and gives them a huge purpose totally outside of countering sect. Rachi was ever quoted as being a counter, but rachi is (very very commonly) found in rain, so rachi is a great gene counter for rain teams. First of all, volc can take any hit from +1 LO gene excepting thunder(bolt) even at half health (thanks to arcticblast for the calcs), but it's true that volc prefers RS support--if you're using volc though, RS is already mandatory. And it sooo does not need sun to beat sect--i could do calcs but pretty sure it OHKOs with like any fire move even in rain. Rotom-h is niche, as you said, but mostly it's just an example of an innovative sect counter. And SpD rotom-w easily takes a giga and twaves back, crippling sect. SpDtom is also a super useful set atm, as it and SpDrachi are torny's main counters.

Y'know maybe it's just me, but I never really liked the "use Sp. Def Jirachi in the rain" counter. I'm not arguing for or against Genesect's brokenness here (in fact I'm pretty ambivalent) but I don't really like the idea of not only having to carry two pokemon for a reliable counter to one, but having to set up an entire type of team to go along with those two pokemon (you can't count on the Genesect user to be running Politoed). Granted, Jirachi and rain are pretty damn awesome and ubiquitous in their own rights, but it still kinda bugs me.
That's a nice point, but I think the distinction isn't that people are saying to run a rain team with SpD rachi on it. It's more, if you're using rain, SpD rachi, which conveniently checks torny as well and fits nicely on rain teams, is a great sect counter.

First of all, not sure what you mean by "the effect it's having"--these pokemon are all completely viable in their own right, and it's perfectly natural for good OU mons that happen to check one of the most used and dangerous (yes, sect is a threatening mon) pokemon in the OU meta to become more common (not that they really have, at least to my knowledge).
Anyway, it's true that the pink blobs are less used than in previous gens, but they're still plenty viable on stall teams (and honestly, that's really the only type of team they should ever have been used on). Tales and ttar are weather inducers--yes, you have to have a weather team to use them, but on the other hand, that makes them automatically some of the most useful pokes in OU and gives them a huge purpose totally outside of countering sect. Rachi was ever quoted as being a counter, but rachi is (very very commonly) found in rain, so rachi is a great gene counter for rain teams. First of all, volc can take any hit from +1 LO gene excepting thunder(bolt) even at half health (thanks to arcticblast for the calcs), but it's true that volc prefers RS support--if you're using volc though, RS is already mandatory. And it sooo does not need sun to beat sect--i could do calcs but pretty sure it OHKOs with like any fire move even in rain. Rotom-h is niche, as you said, but mostly it's just an example of an innovative sect counter. And SpD rotom-w easily takes a giga and twaves back, crippling sect. SpDtom is also a super useful set atm, as it and SpDrachi are torny's main counters.
The point is that most of these checks/counters are either weather inducers, or need weather to be as viable as they are, so the multiple claims that Genesect is needed to combat weather or that Genesect keeps the meta from becoming even more stagnant, is BS IMO.

Genesect's power: 339 SpA * 90 BP * 1.5 DL = 45.8k
Terrakion's power: 357 Atk * 120 BP = 42.8k

A 7% difference, and that's with DL boost. Its coverage moves that it uses for revenge-killing merely gets a STAB boost some of the time, whereas Terrakion can spam powerful STAB moves for its revenge-killing purposes. Genesect is simply an ordinary Scarfer, because it's weak even with DL boost, and a diverse movepool is irrelevant when you're locked into 1 move.
Shouldn't that Terrakion be 180 BP due to STAB on Close Combat?

why are people trying to say that ttar counters gene? nobody switches it into any kind of choice set and even rp can usually take it on. most variants are 2HKO'd by +1 252+ LO Giga Drain after rocks, and tar loses 1v1 anyway 90% of the time unless it has a fire type move or is cb

That's a nice point, but I think the distinction isn't that people are saying to run a rain team with SpD rachi on it. It's more, if you're using rain, SpD rachi, which conveniently checks torny as well and fits nicely on rain teams, is a great sect counter.
Oh, I see. By the way, took the liberty to run some of those calcs:

248 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 94-111 (25.33 - 29.91%) -- 84.77% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 248 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 141-166 (38 - 44.74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

248 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona in sun: 141-166 (38 - 44.74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 248 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona in sun: 211-249 (56.87 - 67.11%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Genesect Flamethrower vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 201-238 (54.17 - 64.15%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

0 SpA Volcarona Fiery Dance vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Genesect in rain: 256-304 (90.45 - 107.42%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

248 SpA Genesect Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Rotom-W: 110-130 (36.3 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 248 SpA Genesect Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Rotom-W: 162-192 (53.46 - 63.36%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Life Orb Genesect Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Rotom-W: 156-185 (51.48 - 61.05%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Genesect Giga Drain vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Rotom-W: 234-276 (77.22 - 91.08%) -- 18.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Overall yeah, they function as checks but you gotta be real careful about SR and how you switch them in, 'cause if you predict wrong...

Spd T-Tar with flamethrower/FB is a good genesect check.
a. who even runs that anymore

b. considering that scarfsect is going to use u-turn at least 70% of the time i don't see how that helps at all

edit: @ the guy below me, that's great and all but nobody really runs max/max+ ttar, and even that has a chance to be 2HKO'd after rocks and cannot do shit back unless it cares a fiyah move. very few people run that specific tyranitar, especially in this meta

Right depending on T-Tar against a Pokemon that commonly uses STAB boosted +1 U-Turns and Bug Buzzes is a fantastic strategy...
No, but Tyranitar can take RP Genesect down after it has set up.

+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Genesect Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 161-190 (39.85 - 47.02%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So Genesect even at +1, Modest, and Life Orb, can only 3HKO Tyranitar, but Tyranitar can hit back.

0- SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Genesect: 312-368 (110.24 - 130.03%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If Tyranitar carries Fire Blast, then it can live a Giga Drain or two and KO back. It's not an all around hard counter to Genesect, but the Rock Polish set can't really touch it. Note, that calc is done with the Special Attack boost and Life Orb. If Genesect is Life Orb, it's much harder to keep its set hidden from your opponent, meaning that you might even already know its set before you have to resort to Tyranitar, and you can kill it a different way. Most RP Genesect have Expert Belt instead, which does:

+1 252+ SpA Expert Belt Genesect Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 149-175 (36.88 - 43.31%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

And if Genesect doesn't get the Special Attack boost:

252+ SpA Life Orb Genesect Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 107-127 (26.48 - 31.43%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Expert Belt Genesect Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 98-118 (24.25 - 29.2%) -- possible 4HKO after Stealth Rock

So no, Tyranitar isn't a foolproof Genesect counter, but it can certainly counter the Rock Polish set even if it has already set up.

No, but Tyranitar can take RP Genesect down after it has set up.

+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Genesect Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 161-190 (39.85 - 47.02%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

So Genesect even at +1, Modest, and Life Orb, can only 3HKO Tyranitar, but Tyranitar can hit back.

0- SpA Tyranitar Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Genesect: 312-368 (110.24 - 130.03%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If Tyranitar carries Fire Blast, then it can live a Giga Drain or two and KO back. It's not an all around hard counter to Genesect, but the Rock Polish set can't really touch it. Note, that calc is done with the Special Attack boost and Life Orb. If Genesect is Life Orb, it's much harder to keep its set hidden from your opponent, meaning that you might even already know its set before you have to resort to Tyranitar, and you can kill it a different way. Most RP Genesect have Expert Belt instead, which does:

+1 252+ SpA Expert Belt Genesect Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 149-175 (36.88 - 43.31%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

And if Genesect doesn't get the Special Attack boost:

252+ SpA Life Orb Genesect Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 107-127 (26.48 - 31.43%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Expert Belt Genesect Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 98-118 (24.25 - 29.2%) -- possible 4HKO after Stealth Rock

So no, Tyranitar isn't a foolproof Genesect counter, but it can certainly counter the Rock Polish set even if it has already set up.
Those are nice calcs and all, but they still do nothing to prove T-Tar is a good check to Sect in general since you could potentially be eating a strong U-Turn.

That's like saying Slowbro is a reliable check for Scizor since it resists Bullet Punch.

Those are nice calcs and all, but they still do nothing to prove T-Tar is a good check to Sect in general since you could potentially be eating a strong U-Turn.

That's like saying Slowbro is a reliable check for Scizor since it resists Bullet Punch.
Ok, wait, what? First of all, I specifically said that he isn't a check to Scarf Genesect, we're talking Rock Polish Genesect here. Second, that is probably the weakest analogy I've ever heard of. Every single Scizor carries a Bug move to hit Slowbro, but not every Genesect has a Bug move to hit Tyranitar (and even if they did, they would need the right boost in order to KO him). Rock Polish Genesect doesn't carry U-Turn and usually doesn't carry Bug Buzz either. It's more like saying Heatran is a counter to Venusaur even though Venusaur can carry Earthquake. Obviously they're not the same because Venusaur almost literally can't touch Heatran otherwise, whereas Genesect still does decent damage to it, but Tyranitar is still a good counter to Rock Polish Genesect. I never said he was a good check to Scarf, though he is if Genesect is locked into a coverage move, but that's beside the point.

Deluks917

Ride on Shooting Star
Do you even need to "counter" scarf genesect? Scarf gene is not threatening a sweep except extremely late game. Conversely there is no way to actually beat u-turn. The way to not be weak to scarf-gene is to not use too many pokes weak to bug. If think gene is scarf don't bring in tyranitar

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

It's not a good check, but it's a pretty decent weapon to have when it comes down to the wire, and the opponent may not expect it. However, RP Genesects usually don't carry U-Turn anymore so the only thing to worry about is Giga Drain, but T-Tar can live it and OHKO back with Fire Blast. Tyranitar is an okay check to Choice Locked Sect variants as well, because T-Tar can tank Ice Beams, Flamethrowers, and T-Bolt nicely.

Overall T-Tar shouldn't be considered a check, but it can still be useful against Gene variants that are either locked in or lack U-Turn.

Ok, wait, what? First of all, I specifically said that he isn't a check to Scarf Genesect, we're talking Rock Polish Genesect here. Second, that is probably the weakest analogy I've ever heard of. Every single Scizor carries a Bug move to hit Slowbro, but not every Genesect has a Bug move to hit Tyranitar (and even if they did, they would need the right boost in order to KO him). Rock Polish Genesect doesn't carry U-Turn and usually doesn't carry Bug Buzz either. It's more like saying Heatran is a counter to Venusaur even though Venusaur can carry Earthquake. Obviously they're not the same because Venusaur almost literally can't touch Heatran otherwise, whereas Genesect still does decent damage to it, but Tyranitar is still a good counter to Rock Polish Genesect. I never said he was a good check to Scarf, though he is if Genesect is locked into a coverage move, but that's beside the point.
So what's the point of even mentioning a Pokemon if it's only effective against one of Genesect's 3 main sets? U-Turn is a common move on both ScarfSect and the Expert Belt set. Tyranitar isn't a reliable check to Genesect unless if you're 100% sure that you're going against a Rock Polish set. That's a shaky check at best in my book.

Also Heatran is considered a check because a very small percentage of Venusaurs actually carry Earthquake. Like I said earlier U-Turn is practically Genesect's bread and butter move on a majority of its non-RP sets.

The point is that a choice set is easy to beat by prediction and playing around it and ebelt sect is just too slow to sweep. This means that RPsect, IMO, is THE genesect set in contention, and mentioning an extremely common OU mon that walls it flat is absolutely important. You don't use ttar against sect early game when it's throwing out u-turns, but scarf/ebelt are played super differently from RP. If sect has uturn, you WILL know by early midgame because it'll be using it every opportunity.

Do you even need to "counter" scarf genesect? Scarf gene is not threatening a sweep except extremely late game. Conversely there is no way to actually beat u-turn. The way to not be weak to scarf-gene is to not use too many pokes weak to bug. If think gene is scarf don't bring in tyranitar
Yeah it would be very wise to have a ScarfSect counter that can reliably switch into its main coverage moves (Heatran) or else you're just asking yourself to have your team slowly picked off one by one.

Heatran in general is a pretty good counter until you run into an HP Ground variant. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)