Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - UU Edition

As scraggy is going to be getting its DW abililty soon i have to ask if i should use intimidate over Moxie or shed skin
Absolutely not IMO. Shed Skin and Moxie are much better able to compliment Scrafty's two sets Bulk up or DD than Intimidate. Since both abilities tend to help Scrafty in setting up by either helping to avoid the plethora of status moves that would be chucked at him or moxie (though not a personal favorite) helping him to gain the necessary power that he tends lack by reducing amount of set up and making him more difficult to check with each kill he nets.

Pursuit Question

I feel like I know the answer to this but anyway: does pursuit hit a subbed pokemon when it switches out, or the sub?

I get the feeling it hits the sub.

Example: Chandelure user predicts a switch and subs while the opponent bring in Snorlax in an attempt to wall chandelure. Snorlax is banded (or just happens to run pursuit for some reason) and proceeds to use it. Chandelure user, being cautious and knowing they're relatively walled anyway switches out with a sub. Does chandelure die or does the sub save it from getting mauled?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It hits the Sub. It's actually the main reason to use Sub Chandelure in my experience as Pursuit Snorlax becomes more common. A double switch is theoretically the better play, but sometimes you're not sure what they're bringing in.

skarmory is not present in uu, so you do not have to worry about that.

Jolly is fine, although adamant would be better, as its speed tier is not that great. a simple set of BB, sucker punch and super power should work wonders. As your last move, roost in conjuction with life orb works fine if you can predict switches or non-damaging moves when they try to predict sucker punch.

Super luck is just quite unreliable, as more often than not, you will not be getting a critical hit. If you want to use super luck, you will most likely be best of using it over roost.

"Perfect" UU Coverage

Thanks cim for answering my last question.

This one is likely up for debate if not even technically possible but what 3 moves gains the best coverage in UU? I just had the thought based on something like Genesect gaining near perfect coverage in OU with Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Giga Drain. This combo is only really walled by fire types which are more prevalent in UU (Darmanitan, Victini, Arcanine, Chandelure, etc) but that could be remedied by something like banded Azumarill's Aqua Jet.

So, what's the best coverage in UU for "ideal" damage?

Edit (for more meaning): there is the obvious Fighting/Ghost that gets perfect coverage but doesn't pack much power if not stab. My real question is more like: what 3 move combo deals the most super effective damage in UU? Because with the example of the Genesect in OU, once fire types are gone it's basically a clean sweep.

cim

95% of the time, you'll want to use a STAB attack and build your set around that rather than just picking a handful of random attacks. The reason Genesect uses those three moves are because (1) it hits like a goddamn semi truck and (2) it beats a lot of very specific pokemon in OU right now

A powerful STAB is often nearly as good or better than a super-effective attack, and any difference in power is almost always made up for in versatility.

Anyway, if you're new, stick to analysis sets for your first handful of teams. Trust me.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Stuff whose checks are lured and killed/severely weakened by Mew (ie Cofagrigus or Shaymin) are usually good options. But it can be anything really, Mew is just so good that it can fit in almost any team.

cim

So I have a few gimmicky but decent movesets I want to post / talk about. Would it be alright if I created / bumped a Creative Good Moveset Thread?

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Neither. You probably want some sort of offense, though.

Stall is very consistent on the ladder--it almost always wins against bad players and almost always loses against people who know what they're doing. In tournament matches, I'd suggest staying away from it due to the way the current metagame is panning out.

Heavy Offense (as in, early-game set up of screens or hazards, then sweepers) is probably the least potent form of offense.

Standard offense (basically a bunch of offensive mons that break down each other's counters and try to not give any momentum away) is effective, as is bulky offense.

Balance is also playable, but you have to do it right. You can't just have 3-4 sweepers and 2-3 walls (this will lead to heavy loses in momentum every time you have to go on the defensive, which you want to avoid at all costs in a metagame as offensive as this one). If you're looking for a good example of a balanced team that performs consistently on both the ladder and the tournaments scene, take a look at this. Kind of shameless self-promotion, but whatever, I'm doing it to make a point. Notice how I don't actually use walls, but rather pivots that can either keep momentum on my side (Regenerator Slowking helps a ton) or by still being very threatening offensively (Rhyperior and CBLax). Then I have my offensive core of SD Heracross (which is my main wall/stall-breaker) and Scarf Mienshao (to act as a cleaner and revenge killer).

I've recently been playing more offensive teams, though, and I've actually found them to be even more consistent, which is why I suggest you start out with offense.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So the other day in #genvuu we were briefly talking about short batton passing, and batton pass 2 attacks sets. Of course Mew came up, and someone mentioned they thought Zapdos had batton pass. That sounded right, so I looked it up and got a weird result. In the DPP analysis, batton pass is listed under moves and has an entire set. The move disappears off the list in BW, and Zapdos does not come up on the batton pass page. So can anyone tell me why this is, or is it a mistake or what? Thanks.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Zapdos gets baton pass from pokemon xd as a purification move so it should be completely fine for a zapdos to have baton pass in gen5 as long as it doesn't have lightningrod (which is illegal anyways right now). also pokemonshowdown has baton pass as a legal move on zapdos so i would guess its a minor mistake. I looked this up on bulbapedia by the way.

And whats the best playstyle? i dont know but i wouldn't say stall almost always wins against ladder players because you have to have a solid stall team that counters most of the tier (difficult to do) and you have to execute it very well because if you make just a small mistake (assuming chandelure is choiced so you use protect with snover only to find out you gave it a free sub) you might end up losing a pokemon and with it the game.

What is a good counter for Honchrow on a team consisting of Flygon,Empoleon,Cresselia,Scrafty,Tornadus, and Froslass? I mean who would be the best switch in for a Moxie Honchrow

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Nothing can take a hit so I guess you could try switching Empoleon in to take Brave Bird and then switch to Froslass / Tornadus / Cresselia on the Superpower. You should probably change some of your pokemon for something that can take on Honchkrow reliably though...

What is a good partner for Choiced Scarf Heracross and Rain Dance Kingdra, something that can beat banded Flygon or any other things that break this offensive core?

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What is a good partner for Choiced Scarf Heracross and Rain Dance Kingdra, something that can beat banded Flygon or any other things that break this offensive core?
Bronzong can handle Choice Banded Flygon pretty well and deal heavy damage back with Gyro Ball, and it can also set up screens which both Kingdra and Heracross will very much appreciate.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Bronzong is a terrible partner for such an offensive core, it'll kill his teams momentum. I suggest fitting a Spikes user in your team, as both RD Kingdra and ScarfCross can take full avantage of Spikes. Froslass would be a natural fit.

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
Standard offense (basically a bunch of offensive mons that break down each other's counters and try to not give any momentum away) is effective, as is bulky offense.
Can somebody explain the difference between the two of these? I kind of get it, but...not completely.

Can somebody explain the difference between the two of these? I kind of get it, but...not completely.
It's kind of exactly what it sounds like. The main difference between the two is that bulky offense uses a lot of pokes that have a lot of power "out of the box" or after a single boost who also happen to have a lot of bulk to take neutral (and in some cases super effective) hits well, prolonging their presence as a threat through sheer defensive and offensive power. This would include things like Zapdos, Snorlax, Slowbro, Rhyperior, and Roserade.

Standard Offense revolves more around having a solid offensive core of pokemon that can switch in on each other's weaknesses, taking out each other's counters and checks to open up opportunities for sweeps. This type of team would include pokes like choice Chandy, Zoroark, Heracross, Mienshao, and Sharpedo.

What's a good special recipient for SmashPass Gorebyss? I was actually think of Porygon2, because of his excellent bulk with Eviolite and Recover/BoltBeam/Tri Attack.

For having tested this playstyle, i can confirm that Stall isn't the way to go in UU. Mons like Mew or Virizion which are remarkable stall breakers makes it really hard to deal with it. But things might change since Chansey is probably gonna go back to UU next month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)