The Missing Genome Winners

Genesect has finally been banned from Wifi OU. Whether or not you disagree with this ban, it's clear that Genesect shaped the BW2 metagame to a large degree. There is no single Pokemon that can fulfill its role as a late-game sweeper or a revenge killer. While we already have a thread about what Pokemon can attempt to take over "The G-spot" that most good teams had before the ban, I'd like to ask the question from a different perspective: What Pokemon/playstyles do you see being more viable/more used now that Genesect is gone, because Genesect checked them so effectively? (Or less used because they could deal with Genesect)

Some examples I thought of are below:

Hydregion

There is already a big thread on Hydregion, but he is one of the biggest winners in the Genesect ban. He has literally no counters in OU, bar a very healthy Chansey, and a simple set of Draco Meteor/Fire Blast/Superpower/Roost or Earthquake can hit like a truck. Without Genesect to outspeed and OHKO with a Zero-Consequence U-turn, his future is looking up.

Latias

Latias had already been rising in usage, but with Genesect gone, one of its premier checks is removed. A set of Calm Mind/Roost/Hidden Power Fire/Dragon Pulse can hit a large portion of the metagame hard, and can check rain offense very effectively.

Dragonite

One of the best BW1 Pokemon should make a comeback with its best revenge killer gone. Although the resurgent Mamoswine remains a threat, Dragonite should see more use now that Gene is gone.

Heatran

Although it remains the best counter to sun teams, Heatran lost an important role with Genesect's ban. Since it is no longer needed as the best Gene switch-in, its usage may drop somewhat, although its excellent typing, ability, and stats ensure it will remain a great Pokemon.

Celebi suggested by Alexwolf

Celebi got a big boost with Gene gone. No longer fearing the quick STAB U-turn that Genesect could hit it with, Celebi now stands tall as an excellent threat to rain teams. However, it still has issues with Ferrothorn and Scizor in rain, and still has to worry about Tornadus-T. Despite this, it forms an excellent core with a steel-type that can handle U-Turns and Hurricanes, and its Defensive set, although facing competition with Rotom-W, can check Keldeo much better than Rotom-W can.

Hyper Offense

The banning of Genesect both helped and hurt HO. It hurt in that HO lost one of the best sweepers and scarf users it could find. It helped because ScarfSect and RP Sect easily revenge kill/sweep Hyper Offensive teams, so it is one less threat to worry about.

Stall

Although some people may disagree, I maintain that Genesect was never a threat to stall. Chansey walls it easily, as does Jirachi on a rain stall team, or Tentacruel when it lacks Thunderbolt (which it usually did). Since the Genesect teamslot was usually not helpful vs. stall, will the addition of another memeber that can hurt stall help or hinder the defensive playstyle?

What other Pokemon and playstyles do you find more viable now that Genesect has been banned?

Yes, Genesect has shaped the metagame by a mile checking Hydreigon completely, that is why I made the Hydreigon thread. Hydreigon should be going up in usage to around 5-12 in the December usage stats. I really find that Ubers may find a way to get around Genesect easily because of Choice Scarf Palkia and other common scarfers in Ubers having Base 100+ Speed. Who knows, They could change our current BL to BL2 where Ubers has it own BL between OU and it. I would find Genesect and Dialga falling in that group.

Most pokemon that benefited from it were Dragon-types. Really, I find SubBerry sets most useful like Infernapes Specail SubSalac, Terrakions and Empoleons too. Genesect has left and I bet it will stay in Ubers generations to come. Maybe in Gen VIII, it will come back but it will still probably be overpowered still becaus eof it recieving a new toy like Digital Watch: Boosts SpA +2, Spe +4, and all of moveset becomes +3 priority, well that would ban Genesect in Ubers too.

Edit: We are all forgetting about Serperior! If Genesect was still in OU, when it would get contrary it would still be in UU and OP there as well because of the STAB, Genesect would prevent it being used in OU.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You haven't mentioned possibly the biggest winner, Celebi. Especially NP Celebi just got a whole more viable, as it can now actually shit on many rain teams, fearing only Torn-T and the occasional Lati@s, which can all be handled by SpD Jirachi, which is already a great NP Celebi teammate.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
You haven't mentioned possibly the biggest winner, Celebi. Especially NP Celebi just got a whole more viable, as it can now actually shit on many rain teams, fearing only Torn-T and the occasional Lati@s, which can all be handled by SpD Jirachi, which is already a great NP Celebi teammate.
Yes, I am particulary very happy that Genesect was banned. Not only NP Celebi, but all Celebi sets got much more viable with Genesect gone. NP Celebi also only needs to remove Tornadus-T, Lati@s and the pink blobs to sweep rain teams. Offensive sets now don't have as much of a headache with Genesect, and have less problems with prediction. Specially Defensive set is like the NP celebi: can wall rain teams once Tornadus-T is gone.

Dark Fallen Angel and alexwolf make excellent points about Celebi. However, Tornadus-T is a big issue to Celebi, as is Ferrothorn, who can set up hazards on it and hit fairly hard with Gyro Ball. If it runs HP Fire, it can deal with Ferro and Scizor better, but has big issues hurting Thunderus-T. If it has HP Ice, it's total Scizor bait. The issue I'm having with the defensive sets is that it seems to be outclassed by Rotom-W, who has STAB Volt Switch, Will-O-Wisp, and can actually check Tornadus-T -- although dealing with Keldeo better is a big plus.

But I never had success with Celebi, even in BW1 where I hear it was great. Is it possible to play around these problems?

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dark Fallen Angel and alexwolf make excellent points about Celebi. However, Tornadus-T is a big issue to Celebi, as is Ferrothorn, who can set up hazards on it and hit fairly hard with Gyro Ball. If it runs HP Fire, it can deal with Ferro and Scizor better, but has big issues hurting Thunderus-T. If it has HP Ice, it's total Scizor bait. The issue I'm having with the defensive sets is that it seems to be outclassed by Rotom-W, who has STAB Volt Switch, Will-O-Wisp, and can actually check Tornadus-T.
Disregarding your faulty reasoning as to why Celebi is still struggling, why does it even matter? Your question was:
What Pokemon/playstyles do you see being more viable/more used now that Genesect is gone, because Genesect checked them so effectively?
And Celebi, a relevant Pokemon for OU, is more viable now so?

Dark Fallen Angel and alexwolf make excellent points about Celebi. However, Tornadus-T is a big issue to Celebi, as is Ferrothorn, who can set up hazards on it and hit fairly hard with Gyro Ball. If it runs HP Fire, it can deal with Ferro and Scizor better, but has big issues hurting Thunderus-T. If it has HP Ice, it's total Scizor bait. The issue I'm having with the defensive sets is that it seems to be outclassed by Rotom-W, who has STAB Volt Switch, Will-O-Wisp, and can actually check Tornadus-T.
Actually, with a set of Giga Drain/HP Ice/Earth Power/Nasty Plot, Celebi has little to fear from most Scizor. A +2 LO Earth Power is doing a minimum of 73.76% against a 248 HP/8 Sp Defense Scizor, which can KO after a little hazards damage, or after taking even a weak hit. Only Scarf Scizor can reliably counter NP Celebi. The same Earth Power has a small chance (5%) of 2HKOing Ferrothorn after Leftovers, which means that even Ferrothorn isn't guaranteed to beat it.

I just want to point out that another big winner is Lucario. With Genesect resisting both of its priority moves, and genesect being able to KO it with Flamethrower. Now that Genesect is gone, one of the main counters to Lucario is gone, enabling it to sweep a lot easier. I also expect Scizor to rise, seeing how Genesect resisted both Scizor's STAB moves.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
I just want to point out that another big winner is Lucario. With Genesect resisting both of its priority moves, and genesect being able to KO it with Flamethrower. Now that Genesect is gone, one of the main counters to Lucario is gone, enabling it to sweep a lot easier. I also expect Scizor to rise, seeing how Genesect resisted both Scizor's STAB moves.
A lot of Pokémon resist Scizor's STAB moves, however, Genesect really overshadowed Scizor. Genesect's incredible coverage really make up for the lack of priority.

Haxorus is another threat that should rise now that Genesect is gone, as it is no longer easily revenge killed. However, there may be other factors that impede Haxorus from rising, such as competition with Garchomp. Still, I think that this should be pointed out.

Another Pokémon that greatly benefited from Genesect being banned was Reuniclus. Its non-TR sets became significantly more viable, and now that Genesect is gone, stall teams may rise on usage, which means that teams may demand the CM Stallbreaker set.

anything thats a dragon or psychic type, just got a huge boost from the absence of genesect. The biggest winner is celebi as it's no longer a liability to 21% of teams.

Did my thread inspire this or something we share the nature of the thread name?

Deo-D definitely benefits--gene was one of the most common pokes that could 2HKO it.

Tyranitar is another one--having u-turns all over really hindered its ability to function.

I am going to vouch for something that indirectly becomes more important now genesetc is gone and thats mamoswine, genesect was the best answer to dragonite hydriegion, garchomp ect. and with him gone mamoswine is one of the ebst checks to all of them, dragonite dd's? ice shard, garchomp chocie locked or done an sd? ice shard, ect you get the idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)