The Outsiders Challenge — Mk III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryce

Lun
Might as well try this out.Hopefully hax will not force me to forfeit in the middle of the challenge like my DH one >_< ,anyway a quick question,can we change teams when laddering as long as it meets the rules?

Name: White symphoni
Alt: Chocolate Wizard
Ladder standing: Glicko2 2023+84(getting close)

EDIT:Thanks Harsha.Just confirming.But modifying the team by replacing members is alright isn't it?

Quick team update for you guys (i'll make a RMT later with my choses):
Lineup: Bronzong, Togekiss, Keldeo, Jolteon, Landrous, Ditto (hell yeah!)
Record: 4-2
ACRE: 1629
GXE: 79
Glicko2: 1861 with deviation of 165

New Start.

Name: Phazon00
Alt: till then
Ladder standing: 1869 Glicko2 after a 5-0 Start. Read post #37 to see some glimpses of the team.

Sure, let's give this a go.

Username: DarkBlazeR
PS! Alt: Supersymmetry
Ladder Standing Nein!

EDIT: wow I must say this challenge is hard. I've practically had to make a UU team in order to make something that is legal x_x

Fresh start for me, my other team has fallen apart.

Username: Cabol
Alt Name: Aluwis
Ladder Standing: None
Team: Hydreigon, Latias, Magneton, Aerodactyl, Keldeo, Abomasnow

Just to be sure, we are using the regular OU stats, not the suspect stats right?

Name: Bipolar Express
Alt: bipolarexpress69
Ladder Standing: None

Hey, guys. This is more of a discussion post to show the progression of this challenge. I'm at 5-0 with a 1869 Glicko2. I honestly feel that this challenge shows the power of UUs in OU. I am having a lot of fun with Weavile, as it is one of the few things that can legitimately outspeed Tornadus-T and one-shot it without a scarf. It can also trap Tornadus-T in their feeble attempts to regain HP. Try it out, people! I also am liking Roserade, as it is a near-perfect counter to many rain-offense teams once Tornadus has been eliminated. A resistance to Water and fantastic SpDef is a big help in beating those teams.

Here is a replay of my team crushing a Rain Offense team, with both Weavile and Roserade being stars! Enjoy, Smogonites.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou5582147

Lavos

Banned deucer.
Name: Lavos Spawn
Alt: zeal feels good
Ranking: nah

funny enough, my current ou team fits the requirements of aggregate usage under 25%

Hey, guys. This is more of a discussion post to show the progression of this challenge. I'm at 5-0 with a 1869 Glicko2. I honestly feel that this challenge shows the power of UUs in OU. I am having a lot of fun with Weavile, as it is one of the few things that can legitimately outspeed Tornadus-T and one-shot it without a scarf. It can also trap Tornadus-T in their feeble attempts to regain HP. Try it out, people! I also am liking Roserade, as it is a near-perfect counter to many rain-offense teams once Tornadus has been eliminated. A resistance to Water and fantastic SpDef is a big help in beating those teams.

Here is a replay of my team crushing a Rain Offense team, with both Weavile and Roserade being stars! Enjoy, Smogonites.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou5582147

Those are two really cool pokemon that are pretty anti metagame at the moment. Weavile is great for Tornadus-t but also revenging the Dragons and being able to pursuit things like Lati@s and Gengar. The SR weak and general lack of bulk + power is keeping it from shooting up to high level OU, but being able to revenge and or trap some of the top threats in OU is definitely reason enough to see usage.

As for Roserade she's a personal favorite of mine because being able to come in on rain teams and put something to sleep or lay down spikes is great in itself. Couple that with the ability to pack a solid punch with Leaf Storm and you have a decent anti-rain pokemon that can function OK against most teams.

Keep up the good work!

Bryce

Lun
40 Chocolate Wizard 1939 88.7 2042 ± 73

Sorry,I don't know how to take screenshots so if someone could tell me it would help.Anyway I finally got the required ratings.

Full Team
Azelf @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Haxorus (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Brick Break
- Taunt

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SAtk / 188 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Bullet Punch

Raikou @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]

1.What did you think was the biggest challenge when not being allowed to use any of the restricted Pokemon? Was it overcomeable?
The biggest challenge to me was to find the right pokemons who would be able to fill the holes of top threats like Terrakion and Salamence.However,It wasn't very difficult to overcome since there were plenty of underrated threats like Lucario and Haxorus as well as the low usage of well known monsters like Landorus and Keldeo.Surprisingly enough they proved to a little underwhelming and the underrated threats did much better than I expected.Especially Lucario,it's a boss.
2.How did you feel the challenge tested your metagame skill? Did it make playing much harder, or were you still able to leaderboard with relative ease.
It was a pretty fun challenge actually.With the restriction it obviously was harder than usual but like I said,there are a lot of underrated threats out there.I loved it when I thrashed a couple of rain teams with a mon below 1% usage.I didn't have too much difficulty to get on the leader board,but since I don't usually play on PS I don't know exactly how easy or hard it was compared to normal times.But the times I did ladder on it with more used mons,it wasn't too much easier than this.
3.What is your opinion on how overpowered the Pokemon that you were not allowed to use, but were required to face? Were they too strong to deal with, are there metagame shifts you would consider to correct this? Please don't derail the thread with a constant debate over this point, only reply once you've won!
To be honest,I didn't find it that much overpowered,like I said there are plenty of underrated mons out there.But Sun teams were a particular pain to face.Rain on the other hand,was a easier to deal with but only because I was highly prepared for it and even then with it's wide variety of abusers from Torn-T and Keldeo to SubCM Rachi and Toxicroak,rain can easily overcome the methods to stop it.I was just lucky not to face something like that.Sun on the other hand is really hard to deal with weatherless teams like mine.Nerfing the weathers would be a positive metagame shift imo.
4.What team style did you use, and how did it fare against the metagame? Were there team styles you couldn't beat?
I used a weatherless heavy offense team and it did quite well in the present metagame imo.Perhaps I can get higher if I ladder a bit more.Some variants of stall, the ones that can stop taunt DD Haxorus and Lucario were tough to face(I kinda missed chomp and terrak).Scarf Ditto is nightmare to face.And there is sun like I mentioned if RP Lando can't stop it.But all of them can be dealt with proper play and you'll always have weakness's in this metagame.
5.What is your personal opinion on this challenge?
This is was a really cool challenge and very useful for discovering underrated threats.

qpie

predatory
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This looks like fun, I'll give it a try.

Name
: q p
Alt: Riolu Girl
Ladder standing: -

Another Quick update:
So far, I'm absolutely loving my team. I tested it out a couple times before doing this challenge on my alt. Right now I'm 3-0 and have destoryed all rain and sand teams i've faced. MVPs so far has to be Abomasnow and Aerodactyl. Fire Blast when most people put a Steel Type in when Aero comes out essentially eliminates them from the battle. Switching to Abomasnow takes out their weather, replaces it with hail so that way I get 100% accurate Blizzard that has destoryed most people with flying and or dragon types when they aren't expecting a Choice Scraf.

I'm still confused about the rules. I haven't officially signed up for the challenge yet (but I guess I will now) and I have the same question as Turtle Soup.

Another question. So can I use a highly rated mon if the rest of my team is has really low usage? For example I could use something with 20% usage if the other five are all under 1%? Of course that's an extreme example, I just want to make sure I understand the rules correctly.
It doesn't appear that this was ever answered. I just see discussion around it. The rules in this thread state nothing against it, but the old thread has a rule banning the top 10. Last bullet of the current rules mentions "banned pokemon" but there's nowhere else that mentions anything about specific pokemon being banned.

Reason being, is that I started a new account with a team of Politoed + 5 low usage mons and the total is under 25%, but I'm not sure if this is challenge legal. My current team is based around Swanna + tailwind Tornadus-I, so if I can't use Politoed I might as well scrap the idea and make a new team.

Registration if I can keep my current team:

Name: Goutland
Alt: Ane
Ladder Standing: 1615 (1755 ± 99 Glicko2)

I'll edit my post with a new alt if I have to start over.

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tried to use a manual rain team for my original alt but although it went well sometimes it failed miserably at others.

Second I tried using a defensive Regenerator core with Slowbro and Amoonguss alongside Hippowdon, and went well originally with 5-0 on the alt "Almighty Carrot" but then lost subsequently to a few Rain teams, 1 of which had a Moltres which naturally obliterated my defences ha.

qpie

predatory
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so I started out pretty decently and peaked at 1950, but then the ladder server shot me down and I subsequently choked pretty hard. I've grinded back up to 1920, but I'm not entirely sure if my alt is still salvageable.

On a lighter note, I'm absolutely loving my team so far. It is built around an offensive trio of Lucario, double setup Landorus-T and scarf Keldeo with trapper support from Gothitelle and has been working beautifully so far in the majority of my matches. Gothitelle does a great job at crippling a lot of the trio's individual counters and thanks to their nice defensive synergy it's rather easy to find an opportunity to set up for one of them at some point. The team might be a little weak to some special attackers (Latios in particular), but most of the time they can be played around somehow.

I'm really enjoying this challenge so far and I'm glad it helped me to discover just how great Gothitelle is.

Name: The Unlucky One
Alt: What is Rain? (Subject to Change)
Ladder Standing: None yet!
Team: Sharpedo/Magneton/Exeggutor/Snorlax/Machamp/Uxie
Total %: 5.925%
Im taking this way too far.

Name: Melee Mewtwo
Alt: Mewtwo Alt 90200
Ladder standing: None yet!

Edit: Changed alt

(This rating system is really getting on my nerves. Your rating is decided by your first twenty games so with the poor luck I've been having a high win ratio means nothing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)