5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

The problem with trying to hit a certain PID frame for the roamers is that it might not actually happen, and if it does, it might be more difficult than you expect it to be. Advancing the PID frames is not a consistent thing due to the rain and NPCs. Sometimes your results will be all over the place, sometimes it actually works the way you want it to. In general, it's just not reliable enough to expect you'll actually hit the frame you want.

From experience, I have to agree that it's easiest to find a frame you can hit, then restart and RNG your IDs to match that frame. It may take more time, but it guarantees that you'll get it without really any trouble. Trying to blindly hit a frame is just too much trouble otherwise, IMHO.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So I would use the same seed that I used to SID abuse my shiny flawless starter, right?
No, you would use the same seed you use to get a non-shiny version of your roamer. The point of ID abuse is to make it so when you do it again with your new save, you'll get a shiny version.

Are you saying play through the game (before RNGing my ID/SID) until I get to Tornadus/Thundurus, RNG it non-shiny but with the desired IVs and nature, figure out exactly what PID frame I ended up with, delete my save, RNG my ID/SID to make that frame shiny, then play through the game again until I get to Tornadus/Thundurus, and RNG it as a shiny by performing the same number of Chatters as last time?
that's exactly what I'm saying. Guaranteed shiny

that's exactly what I'm saying. Guaranteed shiny
What if I were to just RNG for a shiny frame in a range that others say is reasonable (for Summer), find my SSF, and Chatter to my target from there? Even if it's a bit more trouble, it's bound to be quicker than playing through the game twice, right? Assuming I pick a frame that is definitely not too low, I don't see why it wouldn't work since others have gotten shiny roamers without RNGing their ID/SID at all.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
Are bridges considered areas with wild pokemon? Can chatot be used to advance the PID frame in 4th gen?
The only bridges with wild Pokémon are the Village Bridge, Driftveil Bridge and the Marvelous Bridge.

What if I were to just RNG for a shiny frame in a range that others say is reasonable (for Summer), find my SSF, and Chatter to my target from there? Even if it's a bit more trouble, it's bound to be quicker than playing through the game twice, right? Assuming I pick a frame that is definitely not too low, I don't see why it wouldn't work since others have gotten shiny roamers without RNGing their ID/SID at all.
That can work, but people who have done that have been extremely lucky or have had a lot of patience. I'm stressing those words because they're important.

Let me just give a standard example (based on lots and lots of experience) of what usually happens when RNGing the roamers the way you're thinking:

Say you've RNGed your IDs so that you'll get a shiny on frame 600. You find out your SSF is 550, so you figure you do 50 PID advances to get to 600. Seems logical enough. You do 50 advances, however, and you end up on frame 605. So then you figure you do 45 advances, but that lands you on frame 592. 46 gives you 592 as well, 47 gives you 595, 48 gives you 598, and 49 gives you 602.

So, with all possible PID advancements ruled out, you're either hitting above the target frame or below. From there, your options are to try to find another suitable seed, or go with one of the frames below your target and hope you can get the weather/NPCs to advance to the correct frame (and good luck with that).

Another thing to consider is that it's time-intensive to repeat all these things over and over. I can't say how much time I've spent trying to hit a PID frame that just did not want to cooperate. When you restart and you know exactly how to get your target, you don't waste time trying to hit a frame that you likely will never be able to hit. I'd say the time is much more productively spent by restarting, but maybe that's just me.

That can work, but people who have done that have been extremely lucky or have had a lot of patience. I'm stressing those words because they're important.

Let me just give a standard example (based on lots and lots of experience) of what usually happens when RNGing the roamers the way you're thinking:

Say you've RNGed your IDs so that you'll get a shiny on frame 600. You find out your SSF is 550, so you figure you do 50 PID advances to get to 600. Seems logical enough. You do 50 advances, however, and you end up on frame 605. So then you figure you do 45 advances, but that lands you on frame 592. 46 gives you 592 as well, 47 gives you 595, 48 gives you 598, and 49 gives you 602.

So, with all possible PID advancements ruled out, you're either hitting above the target frame or below. From there, your options are to try to find another suitable seed, or go with one of the frames below your target and hope you can get the weather/NPCs to advance to the correct frame (and good luck with that).

Another thing to consider is that it's time-intensive to repeat all these things over and over. I can't say how much time I've spent trying to hit a PID frame that just did not want to cooperate. When you restart and you know exactly how to get your target, you don't waste time trying to hit a frame that you likely will never be able to hit. I'd say the time is much more productively spent by restarting, but maybe that's just me.
Thanks for your reply. Since doing x Chatters doesn't necessarily equate to getting a PID of SSF + x, can I be sure that the same number of Chatters will always get me the same PID on that seed? What if I use a different date for that same seed (but still in Summer)?

Also, is it difficult to determine the exact PID of Tornadus/Thundurus without PokéCheck?

For Entralink RNG abuse, is there a secondary timer (not Eon/Zomgtimer) with milliseconds countdown capability that is good? I've tried to search online, but most of the stuff I've found are javascripts or code, and not the actual gui. Thanks.

Edit: nvm. for those curious, EonTimer has this capability, where you can set a custom countdown. Just make sure to convert time to milliseconds.
How do you do this? I'm using EonTimer v1.6

How do you do this? I'm using EonTimer v1.6
In EonTimer, do you see the tabs on the top? Go to the tab labeled "C". Enter in the top bar your target time in milliseconds. So for example 2.00.10 would be 120000 + 100 = 120100 msec. Then click "Add"...and that's it.

Thanks for your reply. Since doing x Chatters doesn't necessarily equate to getting a PID of SSF + x, can I be sure that the same number of Chatters will always get me the same PID on that seed? What if I use a different date for that same seed (but still in Summer)?
Yep, the same amount of chatters will get you the same PID frame, assuming you are consistent about your timing and everything. At least that's how it worked for me. I would say you should make sure that you can reliably hit that frame first before using it to RNG IDs to make it shiny.

As for using a different date, I would assume that's fine, since I'm pretty sure everything is determined by the seed, not the date itself.

Also, is it difficult to determine the exact PID of Tornadus/Thundurus without PokéCheck?
Not really, no. What I did was run around in the grass on Route 7 and catch something immediately after the roamer flew off, then use its nature, level, encounter slot, gender, etc. to figure out its PID frame. After that, I went and caught the roamer and looked for possible PID frames near the PID frame of the Pokemon I caught. This may take a few tries to get enough information, but it's pretty easy.

Catching a Pokemon will also help to verify your seed (by getting its IVs), though you can also use the TV inside the house to do that, too.

It is not necessary to SID/ID abuse if I am just going for a flawless roamer, is it? You just need to make sure that you did not release it.

It is not necessary to SID/ID abuse if I am just going for a flawless roamer, is it? You just need to make sure that you did not release it.
No, it's not necessary. You are correct... just make sure you haven't released it (and have your party/bag ready before you do).

Yep, the same amount of chatters will get you the same PID frame, assuming you are consistent about your timing and everything. At least that's how it worked for me. I would say you should make sure that you can reliably hit that frame first before using it to RNG IDs to make it shiny.

As for using a different date, I would assume that's fine, since I'm pretty sure everything is determined by the seed, not the date itself.

Not really, no. What I did was run around in the grass on Route 7 and catch something immediately after the roamer flew off, then use its nature, level, encounter slot, gender, etc. to figure out its PID frame. After that, I went and caught the roamer and looked for possible PID frames near the PID frame of the Pokemon I caught. This may take a few tries to get enough information, but it's pretty easy.

Catching a Pokemon will also help to verify your seed (by getting its IVs), though you can also use the TV inside the house to do that, too.
When searching for my IV seed, I should only search in February, June, and October (the Summer months), correct?

Also, how do I use the TV to verify my seed?

So I want to RNG a flawless cresselia. Here is the seed: AA21F137EA202E43
My target IV frame is 6 so I need to walk 128 steps with 5 pokemon in my party to be advance the frame. My intial PID frame is 51. It will be advanced 256 times since walking advances the frame by 2 if there are wild pokemon in the area, which is true in my case. I need to make sure that I do not turn my character around, too. I am supposed to be standing in front of cresselia when my PID frame is 307. And since I want a bold one, which is on frame 351, I'll do 44 chatters.

I need someone's confirmation about this whole thing.

Hozu

RNGenius
is a Contributor Alumnus
Long seed = 5th gen. No wild mons on Marvelous Bridge. However, walking will advance the PIDRNG due to the feather spots. So you might just want to find a frame 1 spread for no walking.

For Entralink RNG abuse in BW2, is an external timer even needed to hit the right nature of the DW poke?

I'm using RNGReporter and extrapolating off of Princess of Johto's BW1 guide, there seems to be no mention of it, but religiousjedi does use it in his BW2 Entralink guide (granted he uses PPRNG, but the seed searching and RNG mechanics should be about the same with both programs).

edit: I am using standard seeds in TimeFinder and Encounter Type: Entralink in the main window.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yes, you need some way to track time. C-gear advances the PID frame, so in order to hit your nature, you need to track the time it is at. It's always been true since BW1 Entralink.

Yes, you need some way to track time. C-gear advances the PID frame, so in order to hit your nature, you need to track the time it is at. It's always been true since BW1 Entralink.
Oh ok great. Thanks for the quick reply! Just wanted to double check my preparations.

Edit: Oh another question. In your guide you mention that the first three frames are "skipped", but should this be true as well for RNGReporter? When I put in my seed into the main window (equivalent of Seed Inspector), I don't see the first three frames as skipped. Instead the first frame has a time, the second is skip, and the third has a time.

Slashmolder

'Ello Governor
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Oh ok great. Thanks for the quick reply! Just wanted to double check my preparations.

Edit: Oh another question. In your guide you mention that the first three frames are "skipped", but should this be true as well for RNGReporter? When I put in my seed into the main window (equivalent of Seed Inspector), I don't see the first three frames as skipped. Instead the first frame has a time, the second is skip, and the third has a time.
I believe in his guide it states to verify the seed with 3 chatot calls. This will advance (aka skip) the first 3 frames. Enter starting frame + 3 as your starting frame if you do 3 chatot calls and RNG Reporter will take care of everything else. If your desired frame is on a skip time add or subtract a Chatot.

I believe in his guide it states to verify the seed with 3 chatot calls. This will advance (aka skip) the first 3 frames. Enter starting frame + 3 as your starting frame if you do 3 chatot calls and RNG Reporter will take care of everything else. If your desired frame is on a skip time add or subtract a Chatot.
Ah ok. that made perfect sense. thanks!

I am trying to RNG the latios that resides in the dreamyard in B2 and I was wondering if there is any Mersenne Twister RNG and/or PIDRNG advancement going on before the battle starts (besides that done by the step to initiate the battle). I battled the one WNPC in the area immediately before saving in front of latios (I did not leave the area or battle any wild pokemon after defeating him). Without doing PIDRNG advancement, I have captured and checked the IVs of latios about 25 times trying to hit my Mersenne Twister seed (I also checked frame 7 in case the 1 step was my 128th step), but I have yet to hit it. The only thing I can think is that some advancement is done as he flies in to meet me.

P.S. I have already used this same seed to RNG cresselia, heatran, and kyurem, so I know it works

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
The IVs shouldn't be advanced at all, so if you're getting the wrong IVs, you're not hitting your seed. Since you've successfully RNG'd before, the most likely explanation is that you're consistently hitting the wrong Timer0. If repeated attempts don't solve the problem, you may want to try calibrating again.

The IVs shouldn't be advanced at all, so if you're getting the wrong IVs, you're not hitting your seed. Since you've successfully RNG'd before, the most likely explanation is that you're consistently hitting the wrong Timer0. If repeated attempts don't solve the problem, you may want to try calibrating again.
Thanks for the help. After another 7 tries I hit the seed. Usually, it's about 1 in 4 for that timer0, so it must have just been some freak bad luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)