Riolu【BW2 Analysis】【QC: 3/3】【GP: 2/2】

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[BOX]OU QC Team, please read this before reading the rest of this analysis: I understand that jc104's rejection and PK Gaming's and ginganinja's approvals can be seen in BKC's old thread, but I made a few changes that I think warrant a new set of QC checks, hence the 0/3 QC approval count in the thread title. Alright, cool.

Things to do:
  • Make this thread actually look nice []
  • Get QC approvals []
  • Write a rhyme for this shuffler []
  • Get GP checks []
  • Upload this []
[/BOX]

[BOX]--------------------------------
Status: Waiting for an approved uploader to upload this. Oglemi, don't give me flak please.
QC Approvals: [ginganinja] || [AccidentalGreed] || [Pocket]
GP Checks: [tehy + GatoDelFuego] || [jumpluff]
--------------------------------[/BOX]
With the blessing of Pocket, I present to you the most annoying Pokemon in the game!

prepare to get pawns like dog

[Overview]

<p>Giving Riolu its own OU analysis may seem like a joke at first glance thanks to its bantam base stats, none of which exceed 70, but the Dream World has bestowed upon it a gift that makes common annoyers such as Jirachi and SubProtect Gliscor seem like pleasures to battle against: Prankster. With Prankster and its access to Copycat and Roar, Riolu can take on a niche as a priority phazer, something that no other Pokemon in the entire game can emulate. In addition, with the aforementioned combination of Prankster and Copycat, Riolu can also serve as an emergency revenge killer against severely weakened Pokemon.</p>

<p>However, not all is good for this little jackal, for there remain quite a few ways of derailing its Copycat-Roar strategy. Just like any Pokemon with Prankster, Magic Bounce Pokemon can turn Riolu's strategy on its head (in this case, by reflecting its priority phazing back upon it). In addition, Pokemon with Magic Guard can afford to be tossed around by Riolu, thanks to their immunity to hazard damage. Also, Protect users and faster priority attacks throw Riolu off, since Protect always goes before priority moves. In addition, even with an Eviolite attached to it, Riolu is incredibly frail, so it requires an immense amount of support to get off that first Roar. However, it would be absurd to disregard Riolu as a threat, because once it gets that first Roar off, Riolu can win the game for you.</p>

[SET]
name: pawns like dog
move 1: Copycat
move 2: Roar
move 3: Drain Punch / Hi Jump Kick
move 4: Substitute
item: Eviolite
nature: Careful
ability: Prankster
evs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 96 SpD / 52 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As mentioned in the Overview, Riolu is the only Pokemon in the game with the ability to priority phaze, thanks to Prankster and its movepool, which contains both Roar and Copycat. After hazards have been laid down, Riolu can use Roar and Copycat to severely weaken, and in many cases, even sweep the opponent's team. Copycat and Roar are placed in the first two moveslots, as they form the crux of Riolu's strategy. Drain Punch gives Riolu a means of attacking when Copycat runs out of PP, and Substitute provides Riolu with a safety blanket against priority moves and status.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs and nature, factoring in the Eviolite boost, give Riolu 283 HP, 216 Defense, and 231 Special Defense, and enough Speed to Copycat a Roar before Scizor Bullet Punches Riolu into oblivion. Alternatively, a faster spread of 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe can be used with a Timid nature and Focus Sash if you want Riolu to outpace threats up to Adamant Breloom, which Riolu outspeeds by one point. Some EVs can be allotted to Special Attack if you need Riolu to Copycat attacks such as Starmie's Thunder and Latios's Draco Meteor. Riolu can run Sunny Day or Rain Dance if opposing weather is a bother to it.</p>

<p>Due to the nature of Riolu's strategy, entry hazards are mandatory when using it. Deoxys-D stands out among all those that can supply the hazards demanded by Riolu, since it can get Stealth Rock and at least one layer of Spikes down quickly, thanks to its respectable speed for a Spikes user. A spinblocker can and should be used to keep hazards up on the opponent's side of the field so Riolu can phaze with little difficulties. Among the spinblockers available, Gengar works best, due to its incredible speed and offensive prowess. Wobbuffet and Gothitelle can both assume the role of trapper, thanks to their access to Shadow Tag, but both, despite having the same overall job, execute it in different ways. Wobbuffet can Encore set-up moves such as Swords Dance or Substitute, granting more switch-in opportunities so Riolu can get its game going. Gothitelle, on the other hand, can use a Choice Scarf and beat Pokemon that could possibly impede Riolu, such as Gliscor and Breloom. Scarf Gothitelle can also beat Starmie, other Spinners, and Magic Bounce Pokemon, giving more leeway to Riolu and any hazard setters being used alongside it. Riolu enjoys having a late-game sweeper like Salamence or Breloom that can clean up the remains of teams that Riolu has chewed through.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Riolu doesn't exactly have much to abuse with Prankster other than Agility, Iron Defense, Toxic, and Screech. Agility bolsters Riolu's Speed, allowing it to Copycat a Roar before Breloom's Mach Punch or Mamoswine's Ice Shard hits it, and Iron Defense braces Riolu for attacks such as Terrakion's Close Combat or Garchomp's Earthquake. Toxic helps break bulky walls and gives Riolu a way to annoy the opponent even after Copycat runs out of PP. If Riolu is paired up with a physical attacker, Screech is an option that helps force even more switches. Crunch hits both Magic Bouncers super effectively, but is otherwise an unreliable option.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Riolu's largest fears are Xatu and Espeon, since they can turn Riolu's Copycat + Roar game against it, while also resisting Riolu's STAB and carrying moves that hit it super effectively. Alakazam, Reuniclus, Bronzong, and Gliscor don't exactly mind being phazed by Riolu, thanks to their abilities and typing. Also, Mr. Mime and other Pokemon with Soundproof will stop the chain in its tracks, thanks to their immunity to Roar. With the given EV spread, Riolu can Copycat a Roar against slower priority users such as Choice Band Scizor, but its priority phazing strategy falls flat against any Pokemon with a priority move and Speed greater than 169. Examples of such Pokemon are Dragonite, Mamoswine, Breloom, and anything with Fake Out and ExtremeSpeed, moves that transcend the priority given to Riolu's moves by Prankster. Protect ruins Riolu's Copycat + Roar game for the exact same reasons as Fake Out and ExtremeSpeed.</p>

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Could you please make sure that Riolu actually learns Taunt? I can't find anything to suggest that it does. Could you remove protect from the last slot too; it doesn't make all that much sense to me. Maybe if you had some attacking investment you could use it to kill dragons with their own attacks?. No idea what that's for. Sub is a really good move with prankster, as it lets you set up in the face of status moves or innacurate moves, and if you see a protect coming, it can allow you to continue phazing at the cost of a little HP.

I should clarify that the rejection applied to the focus sash variant. I'm making no comment on the effectiveness of this variant until I've tested it.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
EVs give Riolu 284 HP and 222 Defense and Special Defense; Speed EVs let Riolu hit 169 Spe, beating base 65s that invest 8 EVs into Speed [please inform me if I should edit the EVs to avoid speed creep]
~ Just say that the Spe EVs lets it outgun CB Scizor's Bullet Punch, and problem solved
~ Change the EV spread to 248 HP / 112 Def / 96 SpD / 52 Spe; Calm Nature - it provides better overall bulk (http://users.smogon.com/X-Act/defense.html)

I support "Priolu" as the set name, like the LC analysis.

Also you should at least mention sand / hail as annoyances for Riolu. It shortens evio's lifespan and it completely ruins any focus sash variant.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
looks good

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Prolly want to mention Breloom somewhere since iirc it outspeeds you if you don't push your speed up

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Priolu's fine.

Also mention that Gothitelle has the additional benefit of using either one of its Choice sets to get rid of potential Rapid Spin users easily, and give fellow entry hazard users a chance to set up. It's also guaranteed to outspeed and KO Breloom provided you don't provoke the opponent into using Spore (Mach Punch vs Priolu), plus you can trick a scarf on any wall that tries to stall out with Protect.

QC Approved 2/3

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I support "Priolu" as the set name, like the LC analysis.

Also you should at least mention sand / hail as annoyances for Riolu. It shortens evio's lifespan and it completely ruins any focus sash variant.
Read below for my thoughts on "Priolu." I'll write that in. Thanks.

looks good

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Prolly want to mention Breloom somewhere since iirc it outspeeds you if you don't push your speed up
Thanks. Breloom thoughts duly noted.

Priolu's fine.

Also mention that Gothitelle has the additional benefit of using either one of its Choice sets to get rid of potential Rapid Spin users easily, and give fellow entry hazard users a chance to set up. It's also guaranteed to outspeed and KO Breloom provided you don't provoke the opponent into using Spore (Mach Punch vs Priolu), plus you can trick a scarf on any wall that tries to stall out with Protect.

QC Approved 2/3
Thanks. I prefer the names "Speed Shuffler" or "Every Turn I'm Shufflin'," but if enough people want "Priolu" to be the set's name, then I'll use it.

I know that most Pokemon that have it suck, but I feel that Pokemon w/ the Soundproof ability should be mentioned in Checks & Counters.

Priority shuffler gets at what the set is good for, and every day I'm shufflin at least touches on that, pawns like dog does what, exactly? rhetorical question, it does nothing.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think we're at a point where the name of the set is pretty much set in stone and there's a hidden obligation of not bringing it up anymore.

Anyways, what I came here to say is to edit these things:

Also, Protect users and faster priority attacks throw Riolu off, thanks to how Copycat works.
Replace "Copycat works" with "Protect always works before priority moves," since people might actually go out of their way to research how it actually indeed works.

The EVs and nature give Riolu 283 HP, 216 Def, and 231 Special Defense, and enough speed to outpace Choice Band Scizor, allowing it to Copycat a Roar before Scizor Bullet Punches Riolu to oblivion.
When you go and write the AC, please relocate this an AC paragraph since it's pretty much the standard, and it's more appropriate in a paragraph discussing alternative EV spreads and options.

it should have sash over eviolite. with sash it gets a garunteed shuffling opportunity, while even eviolite can't ensure the first roar.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
it should have sash over eviolite. with sash it gets a garunteed shuffling opportunity, while even eviolite can't ensure the first roar.
Au contraire, my friend, Eviolite got the nod over Focus Sash since it requires much less support than Sash to get that first Roar off. Sash sets require that the weather either be eliminated or changed to a non-damaging variant, which requires the use of another team slot for either Politoed or Ninetales, a slot better occupied by another sweeper or teammate that can deal with things that can actually stop Riolu from getting that first Roar off.

How about Magnet Rise? Say you're fighting a Pokemon with Protect and Earthquake (say, Poison Heal Gliscor). It uses Protect and you use Copycat. Unless it has Taunt, Glisor is probably going to Earthquake, right? Well then you just use Magnet Rise to dodge it. What are your thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)