OU Team Building

Hey guys, great work so far. I'll get to updating the OP with all the great stuff you guys have posted so far at some point tonight, so don't worry about your sets not being accepted or anything! Also please feel free to post commentary on other peoples sets! Yes we need people to post sets but we also need the discussion posts that make sure we have the ideal sets included in this project. If you have doubts about a sets effectiveness or something similar don't be afraid to bring them up, we want to make sure we're compiling good stuff.

So that said, I am a little iffy about the Espeon TR lead. Sure you're guaranteed to start the match off with TR but Espeon isn't really going to do anything with it and it's basically dead weight after its sash breaks. I would appreciate if you could expand on it a bit as it seems like it has some potential but I don't see what stops the opponent from just stalling out the TR since Espeon isn't exactly the most threatening thing in the world. Perhaps slashing baton pass as one of the options to give you a free switch? Also on Tornadus-t I have really found HP Ice to be pretty good for it to have, so thoughts on that would be appreciated!

Keep up the great work guys!

YoYoNerd, he's talking about SubCharge Magnezone in particular. Charge Beam lets it remove Rain Ferro, but really you should be packing something else to deal with Ferrothorn. Like, I don't know, any strong Fighting-type?
Except Fighting types don't trap? The hell?

Outside of that, subcharge means you get to +6 or anything similar, effectively giving you two KOs as soon as you get a switch on Ferro or his Scizor revenges something. That's pretty damn good right there.

What about Jirachi? What's a choiced Mag gonna do there? What about subCM? You want SubCharge for all those, except FirePunch users in which case both Mags aren't gonna help.

Actually, SpecsZone 2HKOes Rain Ferro. If Ferro uses Leech Seed or T-wave as you switch Magnezone in, then your Zone is boned and you have to switch out, giving Ferro free turns.

And on top of that, SpecsZone can do something that isn't trapping Ferrothorn.

SpecsZone > SubMag
SpecsZone helps, but he's still way too slow to do what you want him to do imo. If you're gonna use a steel trapper at least fully abuse it. If you want a volt switcher don't run scarfzone 'cause it's bad.

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What to use

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch

Role: Physical Sweeper

What It Does: Toxicroak sweeps through teams, but it needs a bit of help from some teammates first. Toxicroak has bad bulk, average speed and average attack, so that begs the question: why use Toxicroak? Well, Toxicroak has amazing coverage, priority, ability, and typing. Toxicroak's bulk is made up for with the 12.5% of it's health it recovers every turn and recovers 25% of it's health every time it's hit with a water-type move, a form of recovery in Drain Punch, typing that's only weak to Psychic, which is very uncommon, never used for coverage, so only Psychic types use it and they're taken out with Sucker Punch, Flying, which is common, but it's only really used by Tornadus-T who is taken out by a +2 LO Sucker Punch after Stealth Rock and Skarmory who will be covered in the "Good Teammates" section, and finally, Ground, which you would think would used often due to it's great coverage, but alot of pokemon who have access to Ground coverage also have access to Fighting coverage, which is generally chosen over Ground due to Fighting's superior coverage. Toxicroak's typing also allows it to resist both Terrakion and Keldeo's (doesn't just resist water, it's immune to it too) dual STABs as well as not being weak to any priority and not being hit super-effectively by alot of common coverage moves. It makes up for what it lacks in speed with it's priority, coverage and again, it's typing (most of the things that it can't outspeed or take out with it's priority move can't hit Toxicroak Super-effectively and they're taken out with Drain Punch / Ice Punch.)

Good Teammates: Gothitelle is probably the best partner for Toxicroak out there. With a Choice Scarf set it easily removes a large majority of Toxicroak's most solid counters, eg. Skarmory, Hippowdon, fast Gliscor, Landorus-T, Landorus-I, Jellicent etc. Rain is something that Toxicoak cherishes deeply due to Dry Skin, so Politoed is obviously going to make an amazing teammate. Skarmory makes a pretty awesome teammate, as it not only sets up hazards that makes Toxicroak's sweep easier, it also resists all of Toxicroak's weakness' as well as being immune to one of them (ground.)

What Counters It: There's very little that can truly counter Toxicroak at +2, but Skarmory, Hippowdon, fast Gliscor, Landorus-T, Jellicent, Landorus-I, Jellicent, and Kyurem-B all do a decent job of countering it.

Any Additional Info: Toxicroak is particularly good in the current metagame due to it's effectiveness against rain teams (which is one of the most dominant forces in this metagame.)

I couldn't resist. Turns out I love posting Stealth Rock weak Pokémon in this thread, so lets continue this interesting trend!

Use

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain / Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Rock]

Role: Special Sweeper

What It Does: Quite possibly my favourite new Pokémon from the 5th generation, Volcarona is an absolute terror that can destroy whole teams on a daily basis, especially under the sun. Whilst at a glance it may appear to be mediocre due to its typing, which gives it an "awesome" x4 Stealth Rock weakness - on further inspection you'll be drawn to its incredible base 135 Sp. Attack and decent base 100 Speed, but more importantly its access to Quiver Dance. Essentially getting a Calm Mind and +1 Speed at once is nothing to take lightly, that's for sure. All it takes is a single boost for this set to start wrecking havoc. Although it takes a little more prediction to set up than the bulkier variants, Timid LO Volcarona is far more dangerous when it does get a boost from QD. Between Fire Blast, Bug Buzz and your coverage move of choice, you've got the power to break through virtually anything. Giga Drain is my personal preference, as it easily KOs Politoed, Jellicent, Rotom-W, Terrakion and Keldeo after a boost, taking many of its counters out with only one move. This set excels at luring out Politoed and taking out with Giga Drain, whereas before you'd have to sacrifice Volcarona to heavily cripple it as defensive Politoed would be able to survive a +1 Bug Buzz at full health. Giga Drain is also useful for mitigating the damage from LO recoil. HP [Ground] is necessary if you want to be able to get past Heatran though, however it can be easily dealt with by teammates. HP [Rock] could be used to hit Dragon/Flying types and Gyarados, though they'll all be hit very hard by a boosted Fire Blast in the sun, and can still be KOd after Stealth Rock damage. Although Volcarona's effectiveness was limited somewhat in BW1 with the ubiquity of scarfers such as Landorus and Terrakion, with the fall of the former two and the rise of Scarf Keldeo and Scarf Lati@s, Volcarona can sweep more reliably than ever before.

Good Teammates: You absolutely need Rapid Spin support, as Volcarona will not be able to sweep very easily if it loses 50% of its HP upon switching in. Forretress, Starmie, Tentacruel etc are all excellent choices for the job. Drought support from Ninetales is recommended, though Volcarona can also function well in Drizzle conditions from Politoed if you swap Fire Blast for Hurricane, and possibly swap Giga Drain for Fire Blast so still have coverage against Steels. Offensively, Dugtrio is one of the best partners as it can remove Heatran from play, which is one of Volcarona's most effective checks. It can also grant it a free setup opportunity with Memento. Landorus-T is another good choice as it can sponge the Stone Edges aimed at Volcarona thanks to Intimidate, can set up Stealth Rock and cause heavy damage to the special tanks that have a chance against a +1 Volcarona. Under strong sunlight, Mixed Venusaur with Earthquake makes for an interesting offensive teammate, as it can bait and KO Heatran without having to rely on Dugtrio trapping it. It can also take out Dragons with HP [Ice], and put something to Sleep with Sleep Powder.

What Counters It: There are no true Volcarona counters, given its sheer power. However, it does have a number of checks. As aforementioned, Heatran is amongst the best as it only fears HP [Ground], and can deal great to Volcarona with Fire Blast even after a QD, Toxic it or just force it out with Roar. Dragonite, Salamence and Gyarados can all survive at least one hit and KO with their respective STAB moves, though they have to watch out for boosted double STAB Fire Blasts or HP [Rock] (though Dragonite will be absolutely fine if Multiscale is not broken). If the rain is up, Tornadus-T gets a resistance to both its STABs and can blast it with a Super Effective, STAB Hurricane, though it is KOd by HP [Rock] at +1. Keldeo can take on sets lacking Giga Drain quite comfortably. Although they have problems switching in, Scarf Landorus-I and Scarf Terrakion will both be able to easily revenge kill a +1 Volcarona. If it manages to come in without having its sash broken, Dugtrio will be able to survive a hit with its sash and KO Volcarona with Stone Edge. The pink blobs (Blissey/Chansey) will be able to come in and try to force it out with Toxic, though they cannot repeatedly take boosted Fire Blasts.

Any Additional Info: Volcarona can actually function surprisingly well in this metagame, despite rain being present on so many teams.

Except Fighting types don't trap? The hell?

Outside of that, subcharge means you get to +6 or anything similar, effectively giving you two KOs as soon as you get a switch on Ferro or his Scizor revenges something. That's pretty damn good right there.

What about Jirachi? What's a choiced Mag gonna do there? What about subCM? You want SubCharge for all those, except FirePunch users in which case both Mags aren't gonna help.

SpecsZone helps, but he's still way too slow to do what you want him to do imo. If you're gonna use a steel trapper at least fully abuse it. If you want a volt switcher don't run scarfzone 'cause it's bad.
IMO i think that SpecsZone really takes care of enemy steels more efficiently. SubCharge can't setup on any other steel aside from ferrothorn and forretress (even that has EQ sometimes). Skarm has Whirlwind, Scizor needs to be locked into BP, and don't get me started on Lucario and Heatran. Then comes your Jirachi argument. Jirachi isnt something you really trap with SpecsZone, it HP Fire specs still does decent damage (at least because of my sun team).

What To Use:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Magma Storm
- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Earth Power / Hidden Power [Ice}

Role: Anti-Weather / Lure

What It Does: Heatran is a staple if you run any kind of Anti-Weather setup, and is used frequently on Sun and Sand Teams, and even some rain teams. This one I use in all of my non-weather teams. It lures, traps, and kills Politoed, and with Earth Power, can kill T-Tar and Ninetails, or with HP Ice can kill Hippodown and dragons. With these EVs, you can come in on nearly anything on a rain team and start off with Sunny Day. this guy outspeeds all non-scarfed Politoed as well, and if you setup Magma Storm on the turn it switches in, you win the weather war right there. Hit Sunny Day the next turn, followed by a no-charge Solar Beam to the face.

Good Teammates: Latias is a great team mate due being able to absorb Fighting type attacks aimed at Tran, and Levitate makes EQ fail after the Balloon falls off. Xatu also does this, especially with 4x Resistance to Fighting.

What Counters It: Depending on the move set, a few things can counter this guy, namely Keldeo, Terrakion, Scarfers, anything that can live a hit or two and hit back with fighting/ground type moves, especially STAB ones.

Any Additional Info: This guy works in and out of weather-teams, and is pretty good as a backup weather inducer for sun teams.

TGMD

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, Hunt wants some discussion, so I'll try and help out.

What to use

Magnezone @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf / Air Balloon
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch / Substitute
- Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
- Flash Cannon
Hey NixHex, I'm a big fan of Magnezone and I have a few edits I'd like to propose on that set. I would definitely make Thunder the first slash, add Sleep Talk as the second one, and put Thunderbolt last. Thunderbolt is only really good on the Substitute sets, as the power difference between Volt Switch and Thunderbolt really isn't enough to warrant using it, as most of the time you would want to use an electric move, you would use Volt Switch anyway, mostly because it's usually powerful enough to take the opposing mon out and the momentum Volt Switch gives you is great. Thunder is overall the superior choice in most situations, it really messes with rain, which is super common atm, the power you have access to is godly even though it's accuracy is terrible, and the paralysis chance is pretty awesome too. Sleep Talk is a really cool option too, especially on Choice Specs sets, it gives you a switch-in to Breloom's Spore (you could argue you wouldn't want to risk the Mach Punch, nor would you want to have a 1/3 chance in getting the move you want against most pokemon, but Magnezone's primary role is removing steels, and since Breloom is often found on much more offensively based teams, it's likely they'll have a frail steel on their team that can be removed without Magnezone) and often allows you to often pull off a suprise kill on Breloom (Flash Cannon and Hidden Power [Fire] from Specs Magnezone both OHKO and Volt Switch does over half.) It also works great against other Spore users, eg. Amoonguss. I understand this is 3 sets wrapped into 1, but I think it's worth mentioning somewhere in your post that a spread of 144 HP / 252 SAtk / 112 Spd (outspeeds standard Skarmory) and a Modest nature generally works better on the Choice Specs set, as Hidden Power [Fire] has a much higher chance of 2HKOing Ferrothorn, and going the Specs set won't be outspeeding much anyway.

SubMag prevents Scizor from revenging, gets a free strong attack on Skarm and Forry, and kills rain Ferro. Something choiced Mag can't do.
HEY GUESS WHAT
Rain Ferro is the most popular Ferro.

SubMag > Choicemag.
First of all, Scizor isn't usually something that comes in to revenge kill Magnezone, as it's one of Magnezone's targets, all standard Magnezone outspeed CB Scizor and Bulky SD Scizor, and some Magnezone outspeed offensive SD Scizor. I'm not really sure what you mean by getting a free attack on Skarmory, as all Magnezone variants can get off an attack on Skarmory and if you try to sub up against it, it can just Whirwind you out. Sub Charge Beam Magnezone may be able to kill Rain Ferrothorn, but Ferrothorn will get all it's hazards up in the process, and those hazards will put a huge constraint on how you play, and Specs Magnezone kills Rain Ferrothorn anyway, Hidden Power [Fire] is a 2HKO in rain.

While you're sitting there Charge Beaming, hoping it will give you a Special Attack boost, you're letting that SubCM Jirachi get to +6, and it'll often beat Magnezone 1 on 1 and then likely proceed to do some huge damage to your team. But Specs Thunder absolutely destroys all Jirachi.

Standard Sub Charge Beam Magnezone really isn't that much faster than Standard Specs Magnezone, so I don't understand your comment of it being too slow, even then Choice Specs Magnezone can opt to run more speed. I would also kind of like to know why you think Scarf Zone is bad, you really offered no reasoning, lol.

Tornadus (Tornadus-T) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hurricane
- Superpower / Focus Blast
- Taunt
- U-turn
I would slash a Timid nature after Naive. Because when running Focus Blast the only reason to not lower Attack instead of Special Defense is a slightly more powerful U-Turn and that isn't worth the trade off for the drop in Special Defense imo. There are other good options that could be slashed after Taunt, eg. Rain Dance, Hidden Power [Ground], Hidden Power [Ice] Grass Knot, Hidden Power [Grass] (hits a few things such as Rotom-W harder than Grass Knot), and even things like Tailwind and Sleep Talk (although this is usually on Specs sets), but I do agree Taunt is probably the best option so those slashes aren't all that neccessary.

So that said, I am a little iffy about the Espeon TR lead. Sure you're guaranteed to start the match off with TR but Espeon isn't really going to do anything with it and it's basically dead weight after its sash breaks. I would appreciate if you could expand on it a bit as it seems like it has some potential but I don't see what stops the opponent from just stalling out the TR since Espeon isn't exactly the most threatening thing in the world. Perhaps slashing baton pass as one of the options to give you a free switch? Also on Tornadus-t I have really found HP Ice to be pretty good for it to have, so thoughts on that would be appreciated!
I think the TR Espeon was under what not to use, but I could be wrong. As for Hidden Power [Ice] on Tornadus-T, I'm not the biggest fan. A super-effective Hidden Power [Ice] hits with only 20 bp harder than Hurricane, so it's only really useful against pokemon that are have a quad weakness to Ice. Dragon / Flying types are weak to rock, meaning their hp is knocked down to Hurricane range pretty quickly, and Torandus-T usually doesn't have much business trying to kill dragons annway as they're often either Scarfed (or Banded Dnite with Extremespeed) or DD so they outspeed and KO anyway. This only really leaves Landorus-T, Landorus, Garchomp and Gliscor, all of which can KOed by Hurricane with little weakening, and all of them except Gliscor can run Scarf sets, so again, Tornadus-T can be outspeed and KOed. I really don't see much reason to run Hidden Power [Ice] outside of a few situations where the few pokemon that are hit significantly harder by Hidden Power [Ice] are outside of Hurricane KO range but inside of Hidden Power [Ice] KO range and their current set is outsped by Tornadus-T. I think moves like Taunt are more deserving of Hidden Power [Ice]'s place.

What to Use

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

Role: Wall / Support

What It Does:
What doesn't it do might be a better question. Abilities are a crucial part of a pokemon's success and thanks to Trace, Porygon2 manages to turn the opponent's against them. Come in on a setting up Gyarados/Salamence and grab Intimidate. Not only does this set them back a turn, but you can hit them for super effective damage. Trace also enables Porygon2 to get a safe switch-in against pokemon that have defensive abilities such as Water Absorb Vaporeon, or Magic Bounce Espeon (also reflecting their own status moves back to them if they're not careful). With the eviolite boosting your defenses, you can Toxic a bulkier pokemon and stall it out with Recover.

Good Teamates
Porygon2 is meant to be tacked onto an offensive team that struggles to deal with hard-hitting opponents. Don't place it on a dedicated stall team, as there are better dedicated walls such as Blissey or Skarmory. Porygon2 needs help overcoming Fighting Types, ghost and psychic types are useful teammates. That being said, do not base a team around Porygon2. It serves to be added after the main team is completed to check outside threats.

What Counters Porygon2
Porygon2 has three main weaknesses that prevent it from being on every OU offensive team. First, Porygon2 is destroyed by Fighting types such as Conkeldurr or its antithesis Breloom, who can easily spore it and then obliterate Porygon2 with Fighting attacks. Porygon2 also hates status, particularly toxic (unless you grab an ability like Poison Heal), which cuts its walling capability. And lastly, Porygon2 can't cover a relentless barrage of offensive pokemon. Against a hyper offensive team, Porygon2 will be able to defeat 1-2 pokemon, then be KO'd. Porygon2 is a pokemon that needs to use Recover liberally, so denying it this chance will easily limit its staying power.

Other Notes
Beware Trick / Knock off. Either one of those moves essentially makes you a sitting duck for the rest of the match.

EDIT: gtg, but I may edit it later.

What to use

Weavile @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch / Night Slash
- Low Kick

Role: Revenge Killer

What it does: Weavile is an extremely versatile revenge-killer. Its Ice Shard allows it to deal with things like +1 Dragonite, Choice Scarf Salamence, or weakened Chlorophyll Venusaurs, while its naturally high Speed allows it to checkmate many Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon. Weavile can dispose of Lati@s and Gengar with ease, and can even trap a weakened Tornadus-T or outright OHKO a healthy one with Ice Punch. It's also capable of sweeping teams lategame if they lack a suitable answer to it, as its STABs give a surprising amount of super effective coverage, which Low Kick complements quite nicely.

Good Teammates: Pokemon that appreciate a dead Latios or Latias, such as Keldeo, Landorus, or Breloom benefit from Weavile's presence, especially if the sand Tyranitar would produce would be detrimental. It is especially worth noting Weavile's ability to remove Latios/Latias/Gengar when paired with Swords Dance Breloom or Sheer Force Landorus, as both of these Pokemon are devastating sweepers that can have difficulty getting through those Pokemon. Keldeo does have the benefit of not being overly troubled by Scizor, though. Rapid Spinners also appreciate Weavile's ability to remove Gengar with little hassle, and its ability to trap a weakened Deoxys-D or Jellicent. Teams that need these niches filled, but are also weak to Dragon-types, benefit the most from Weavile. Magnezone can remove Scizor and Ferrothorn or bait Lati@s and Volt Switch into Weavile, while your own Recover Lati@s can switch into Keldeo with near impunity.

What Counters Weavile: Scizor is one of the most notable threats to Weavile, taking neutral damage from Low Kick and threatening it with Bullet Punch for a quick OHKO or U-turn to punish attempts at escape. Jirachi, another Steel-type neutral to Low Kick, and fairly light itself, also cares little for what Weavile can throw at it. This is even more true for Wish variants, who can paralyze Weavile with Body Slam and then smash it with Iron Head, or set up Calm Mind with little risk (Night Slash's high critical hit rate should be kept in mind though). Keldeo is another Pokemon who isn't really threatened by Weavile. Bulky water-types in general, such as Politoed and Tentacruel, can prevent any headway by Weavile, and even Jellicent scoffs at it if Weavile chooses Ice Punch. Chansey is a particularly humiliating counter, since it can tank Weavile's hits due to Eviolite and its low weight.

Other Notes: A very cool Pokemon, but it can be a bit difficult to get full mileage out of it. There will be some games where it's an allstar, racking up two or three kills or ending the game itself in a lategame sweep, and there are others where it fails to kill anything important or is pitiably walled by something. It has gotten better with Genesect's ban, since it tended to be a walking U-turn target. Try it out for yourself.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Champion
Big Chungus Winner
What to use

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit
- Low Kick

Yeah this thing is great. I was using this with specially defensive U-Turn Celebi to bait in Latias and Latios so I could get a nice hit on them to where pursuit kills regardless if they switch out. After that I could easily clean up with Scarf Keldeo. Great Pokemon with a pretty big niche.

What to use

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball

Role: Special Sweeper, Tank

What it does: TR Reuniclus is an amazing pokemon in the current metagame as most pokemon are very fast and TR can mess up someones momentum vastly. Reuniclus packs one big punch and its speed is usually its main falter. Once it uses its decent bulk to get a TR safely, you have 5 turns to wreck absolute havoc. You will outspeed nearly every single pokemon in the metagame and do massive damage coming from reuniclus' base 125 SpA stat. Focus Blast, Psyshock, and Shadow Ball are good coverage options for Reuniclus to do as much damage in that 5 turns of Trick Room.

Good Teammates: Conkeldurr is a classic teammate for Reuniclus as it can take out Chansey/Blissey with ease and their typing works well together. Another good partner is Heatran. Heatran is really good at killing threats to Reuniclus such as Scizor, Jirachi and Metagross while Reuniclus can handle the Fighting types that Heatran hates. Another excellent partner would be Infernape. Infernape has the capability of destroying Scizor, Jirachi, Chansey, Blissey, Metagross, Bronzong and other pokemon. It is rather fast though so you can't send Infernape in while trick room is still up.

What Counters It: As said above, its main counters are Scizor, Chansey, Blissey and Jirachi. Scizor's Choice Band boosted U-Turns can OHKO Reuniclus while Reuniclus can't OHKO it unless you forego one of these moves with Hidden Power Fire. Chansey and Blissey are extremely threatening as it can take any of its special moves and wear it down slowly with Seismic toss while it can heal off any damage. Jirachi is another great poke to counter it as it resists it's STAB and can ParaFlinch it or set up Calm Mind's on it.

Other Notes: Be careful though, TR reuniclus can cause a lot of forfeits.

Hi I'm on my phone and if this doesn't come out right I'll edit it later. Anyway the set:?

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Evs: 252 Spd / 252 SpAtk / 4 Atk
Naïve Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-Turn?
- Taunt / Heatwave

Role: Mixed Attacker

What It Does: Standard Tornadus-T is a very good mixed attacker attacker with very high speed and fair natural bulk. It counters big threats to rain teams such as: Breloom, Celebi, Venusaur (Outside of sun), Keldeo etc. It is a great mixed attacker, as its stab hurrican hits even resists hard. Also Regenerator helps keep it healthy through the game, and soothe its crippling stealth rock weakness.

Good Teammates: Politoed, not only does it bring rain, to give it a powerful 100% stab move in Hurricane. But also Politoed is capable of dealing with Terakion which gives torn problems. Also torn is great at eliminating grass types which toed hates.

What Counters It: Specially defensive Rotom - W, Jirachi, The pink blobs (if torn lacks taunt).
Torn can simply u turn out of these counters into something too check its counter, whilst gaining precious momentum.

Any Additional Info: you can use Choice specs on the set, however being locked into taunt or heat wave in the rain isn't a good thing too do.

TGMD

Hi I'm on my phone and if this doesn't come out right I'll edit it later. Anyway the set:?

Tornadus-Therian @ Life Orb
Evs: 252 Spd / 252 SpAtk / 4 Atk
Naïve Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-Turn?
- Taunt / Heatwave

Role: Mixed Attacker

What It Does: Standard Tornadus-T is a very good mixed attacker attacker with very high speed and fair natural bulk. It counters big threats to rain teams such as: Breloom, Celebi, Venusaur (Outside of sun), Keldeo etc. It is a great mixed attacker, as its stab hurrican hits even resists hard. Also Regenerator helps keep it healthy through the game, and soothe its crippling stealth rock weakness.

Good Teammates: Politoed, not only does it bring rain, to give it a powerful 100% stab move in Hurricane. But also Politoed is capable of dealing with Terakion which gives torn problems. Also torn is great at eliminating grass types which toed hates.

What Counters It: Specially defensive Rotom - W, Jirachi, The pink blobs (if torn lacks taunt).
Torn can simply u turn out of these counters into something too check its counter, whilst gaining precious momentum.

Any Additional Info: you can use Choice specs on the set, however being locked into taunt or heat wave in the rain isn't a good thing too do.
This exact set (other than Heat Wave being slashed) has already been posted :o For future reference, be sure the set hasn't been posted yet and inform us whether it's to use or not to use at the top.

Noticing a big lack of rapid spinners, so I'll post one of my favorite mons :D

Sandslash @ Expert Belt / Ghost Gem
Sand Rush
12 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance / Stone Edge / Stealth Rock

Role: Sand Spinner, Anti spinblocker / Sweeper

What it does: Sandslash works similarly to how Excadrill works in Ubers - he spins and can defeat spinblockers with the appropiate move. An Expert Belt Shadow Claw will always OHKO standard Gengar (the most common spinblocker in OU) after SR damage; and Jellicent can be OHKOed after SR by a +2 Ghost Gem Shadow Claw.

If one prefers, Sandslash can assume a sweeping role, but it is outclassed by RP Landorus (special or physical) in that regard. He can also set SR if you're desperate.

Good Teammates: Sandslash needs a Sand Stream 'mon with him. Tyranitar is preferred because it compounds Grass, Water and Ice weaknesses with Hippowdon. He also requires something that can get Skarmory, Gliscor and Landours-T out of the picture. Mixed Tyranitar with Ice Beam and Fire Blast can work as a great lure for those pokes and can also provide SR.

Counters: As stated above, Skarmory, Gliscor and Landorus-T are Sandslash's biggest nightmares. Anything else that is immune or resists Earthquake and takes neutral damage from Stone Edge and Shadow Claw is a roadblock for Sandslash. Defensive Celebi, for example, takes 60% from an LO Shadow Claw, so it has a chance to take a hit and take Slash out with a Grass-type move. Hydreigon will always survive a hit and dispose of Sandslash with pretty much any special move. Both of these checks can be beatet with X-Scissor; but Sandslash won't be able to defeat spinblockers without Shadow Claw and lacking Stone Edge means any Flying-type will wall Sandslash, because Bug/Ground coverage isn't all that hot.

Additional Info: Be warned that Sandslash is a very, very niche Pokemon. It should be used on sand-based teams that need a spinner that can get past OU's common spinblockers or as a physical sweeper. At any other possible role, he'll be largely outclassed.

Interesting tidbits: Sandslash can beat scarf Terrakion one-on-one (he takes 65% from CC); and is also pretty resilent to priority. Bullet Punch from CB Scizor / Mach Punch from LO TechniLoom / Ice Shard from LO Mamoswine will never OHKO Sandslash (around 70% damage each).

With the given EV spread, Sandslash can outpace anything under scarf Terrakion/Keldeo. This includes +1 offensive and +2 bulky Volcarona.

Use it its great

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd)
- Nasty Plot
- Grass Knot / Giga Drain
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Role: Special Sweeper,Revenge Killer,

What It Does: Shiftry may seem an odd choice when other sun power houses are available, such as Venusaur and to a lesser extent Victreebell. However unlike the previous too Shiftry doesn't have to rely on growth too boost its special attack, Shiftry has access to nasty plot which means it can double its special attack even out of sun. Shiftry is also a good pick as a sun sweeper because it is seen much less and not as known. In the sun Shiftry counters: Rotom-W and other water types, but unlike other chlorophyll sweepers Shiftrys stab Dark Pulse allows it too easily pick off the latis and other common psychic type the previous pokes have trouble with.

Good Teammates: Ninetales. Shiftry absolutely needs Ninetales too work, or else its speed is left at a lack luster 259 and is easily outsped and ohkoed. Shiftry also enjoys something too get rid of Heatran, and Dugtrio does this perfectly

What Counters It: Heatran, Scarfed Abomasnow, Heracross, Toxicroak, Pink Blobs, Hydreigon and infernape with a priority mach punch.

Any Additional Info: If the sun is gone, then Shiftry is very easy to counter, but in the sun, it's very hard.

I'm not sure I get what's so great about Shifty compared to other Chlorophyll sweepers. You use being able to get +2 Sp. Atk out of sun as a selling point over Venusaur but then you say that outside of sun it's easy to counter. Not to mention being weak to Mach Punch is bad for a sweeper with such frail offenses, meaning that the ubiquitous Breloom as well as its Mach Punch brethern in Conkeldurr and Infernape can all shut you down immediately. Even a CB Bullet Punch from Scizor has a small chance of one-shotting it after rocks, meaning it really can't afford to take any previous damage. Being able to one-shot Latias, I'll give you that, but 252 HP/0 Sp.Def doesn't take Venusaur's +2 Sludge Bomb well anyway having a very small chance to OHKO after rock damage, and it's an instant kill on offensive Latios anyway. So...I mean i can see getting some use out of Shiftry, but it seems very niche and situational to me. It doesn't help that sun teams are kinda on the weak side compared to Rain atm.

I have nothing better to do so. Use this guy!

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Naive Nature ( +Spd, -SDef)
Evs: 162 Atk / 92 SpAtk / 252 Spd
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Fake Out

Role: Mixed attacker , Lure

What It Does: Mienshao is quite a fast pokemon at 100 base speed. It is a good early game scout, which can take weak neutral hits, and u-turn out, while taking little damage due to regenerator. Like most physical attackers gliscor is a common switch in, however unlike others mienshao is able to ohko with 0 prior damage with hp ice.
Mienshao can also revenge kill weakened pokemon, which may have set up too much with fake out. The evs may seem strange but they let mienshao ohko glicor, the drop in attack may be off putting however it is rarely noticeable.

Good Teammates: Anything which enjoys gliscor being dead.
Tyranitar is a good teammate as it can trap and kill the latis as well as other psychic and ghost type pokemon which resist or are immune to hjk respectively, as can scizor.

What Counters It: Mienshao is quite hard too counter because it is failry fast, but also packs a punch from both sides of the spectrum.
Most ghost types can switch into hjk and activate the recoil causing Mienshao too lose huge amounts of HP. Gengar can easily switch in and ohko with a much faster shadow ball.

Any Additional Info: entry hazards benefit mienshao greatly turning 2hkos into 0hkos also mienshao may be hard too weaken due too regenerator and is a good pick for any team looking for a fast scout!

Real interesting thread here, I actually really like it :)
First I want to *improve* and a little more to gengarsnemisis's suggestion on Lucario, a seriously underrated underdog Physical sweeper of this generation.

Nature: Adamant
EV Spread: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Moves: Swords Dance/Close Combat/Extreme Speed/Bullet Punch or Crunch

Role: Physical Sweeper and Late Game Cleaner

What it does: Usually when it's late game and Lucario gets a Dance, the opponent might as well hit that run button. With sky high attack stats, boosted by Life Orb, he can smash opponents with Power using Close Combat or Crunch; he could also quickly put the opponent out of their misery with priority moves such as Extreme Speed or Bullet Punch. While the chance doesn't present itself to often, he can come in revenge weakened walls or slower threats with little care, thanks to 1/4 resistance to rocks and an immunity to Toxic Spikes.

Good Teammates: Rotom-W is a beautiful partner. Taking Ground Type moves, Fire Type moves it threatens out certain Pokemon such as Gliscor, Landorus (certain varients), Heatran Scarfed, Jellicent if Lucario lacks BP, and so forth. Rotom-W can also Volt Switch on threats like Ferrothorn or Celebi that Lucario can set up on with ease. Banded Ttar works much nicer with BP Lucario thanks to the fact that it can eliminate Jellicent, Slowbro, Reuniclus and Gliscor quite easily. Celebi, usually defensive varients, work well with Lucario, being able to U-Turn or Baton Pass out of Dark moves or Bug Moves and bring Lucario safely in and also deal with things like Keldeo, Latias, and Special Landorus

What Counters it: Bullet Punch struggles more with Defensive threats, such as Gliscor and Jellicent as it lacks the coverage and power of Crunch. However, Crunch is a poor move when it comes to hitting Offensive threats. Too many Pokemon (Terrakion, Scarf Ttar or Gengar for example) can walk in after a Lucario KO, and threaten it right back out.

Any Additional Info: Using Lucario takes Skill, Patience, and Foresight. Not bragging or sounding arrogant and stuff, but I've played with Lucario a hell of a lot (almost a little too much ._.) and I've seen others use Lucario. Send it too early and use just lost a great Pokemon. Send it to late, and Lucario might have lost its set-up chance. Bring Lucario in when certain threats aren't eliminated and you're only complicating the situation. Lucario overall is a high-risk, high-reward. He'll sweep the team, 3-0, 4-0, sometimes 5-0. Or he'll be KO'd turn 13. Or he could just be dead weight. Use this Monster wisely.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Suspect: Garchomp The Land Shark
Jolly Nature
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Life Orb
Rough Skin
Swords Dance/Outrage/Earthquake/Fire Fang
Role: Physical Sweeper

What is Does: My, my, where to start. Well, this ex-Uber has an astounding base 130 Attack stat that hits an Attack stat of 718 after a Swords Dance, assuming it's Jolly Natured. (Pity, Gamefreak didn't teach this thing Dragon Dance) It has solid bulk, boasting 108/95/85 Defenses, making this Land Shark far from frail. It has a pitiful Ice Shard Weaknesses, but can be easily taken care of with correct Team Building. Packing Life Orb, it usually doesn't always need a Dance to wreck havoc. It can run in and out unlike Dnite and Mence thanks to it's Ground typing. This guy is a real team player being able to switch in and out and eventually when the chance presents itself, Sweep. Lacking a Stealth Rock Weakness, Lacking Pursuit Trap Weakness and not being weak to Super common attacking moves, Garchomp really shines above Dnite, Mence, Latios, Latias and Hydreigon.

Good Teammates: Haven't played with this guy as in depth as I have with Lucario just yet; however, I have used this Pokemon before. This particular set loves Sun. Fire Fang gets a Pseudo STAB and with a LO +2, Drought boosted Fire Fang, even Skarmory will be a bit weary about confidently walking in with its' tin ass. (75% chance to OHKO. How you feelin' Skarm?). Garchomp loves the support of Rotom-W, taking in Ice Moves and smashing Mamoswine who is a pain with a capital P. Tyranitar is yet another great partner as it eliminates the Lati twins. Ttar and Rotom-W have great synergy as well. This easily forms a three-way core that works pretty well.

What Counters it: I guess Air Balloon Offensive Heatran is one. +2 Outrage is a 2HKO, while a +0 is like a 3-4HKO. Choice Scarf Politoed can revenge the Chomp. TBH, nothing straight up counters this Chomp set (...I think. Can't think of a Mon besides Tran that can take most of Chomp's moves). Chomp is always switching in and out, scaring here, setting up there, pokin' holes over here. Chomp can only be checked by faster offensive threats. However, thanks to his bulk, he can usually take one down. Terrakion Scarfed will fall to Garchomp 1v1. Banded, Garchomp still has a chance.

Any Additional Info: Sun or Sand. He prefers one of these weathers to help his sweep
=============================================================

What to use

Deoxys-Defense @ Rocky Helmet / Mental Herb / Red Card
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP /4 Def / 252 Spe
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat / Night Shade
Role: Hazard Setter

What It Does: Sets hazards, and usually dies. Its excellent mixed bulk allows it to almost always get 1-2 layers of hazards set up, and possibly more. Can be used late game to take Specs Latios' Draco Meteors if hazards are already up. Also can break stall with Taunt or Magic Coat.

Good Teammates: Any sweeper that appreciates hazard support. Good examples are Dragonite and Lucario. Ghost types are also good teammates because they spinblock the hazards that Deoxys has set. Gengar is a good choice, as it is fast and has an offensive presence on the field. Tyranitar can defeat Xatu, Starmie, and Espeon that prevent Deoxys from setting up.

What Counters it: Magic Bouncers and Rapid Spinners mostly. Specs Zoroark can OHKO with Dark Pulse. Bug Gem Scolipede can also OHKO with Megahorn and set up its own hazards.

Any Additional Info: Use this on Hyper Offense and with Lucario.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What to use

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit
- Low Kick

What it does: Weavile is an extremely versatile revenge-killer. Its Ice Shard allows it to deal with things like +1 Dragonite, Choice Scarf Salamence, or weakened Chlorophyll Venusaurs, while its naturally high Speed allows it to checkmate many Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon. Weavile can dispose of Lati@s and Gengar with ease, and can even trap a weakened Tornadus-T or outright OHKO a healthy one with Ice Punch. It's also capable of sweeping teams lategame if they lack a suitable answer to it, as its STABs give a surprising amount of super effective coverage, which Low Kick complements quite nicely.

Good Teammates: Pokemon that appreciate a dead Latios or Latias, such as Keldeo, Landorus, or Breloom benefit from Weavile's presence, especially if the sand Tyranitar would produce would be detrimental. It is especially worth noting Weavile's ability to remove Latios/Latias/Gengar when paired with Swords Dance Breloom or Sheer Force Landorus, as both of these Pokemon are devastating sweepers that can have difficulty getting through those Pokemon. Keldeo does have the benefit of not being overly troubled by Scizor, though. Rapid Spinners also appreciate Weavile's ability to remove Gengar with little hassle, and its ability to trap a weakened Deoxys-D or Jellicent. Teams that need these niches filled, but are also weak to Dragon-types, benefit the most from Weavile. Magnezone can remove Scizor and Ferrothorn or bait Lati@s and Volt Switch into Weavile, while your own Recover Lati@s can switch into Keldeo with near impunity.

What Counters Weavile: Scizor is one of the most notable threats to Weavile, taking neutral damage from Low Kick and threatening it with Bullet Punch for a quick OHKO or U-turn to punish attempts at escape. Jirachi, another Steel-type neutral to Low Kick, and fairly light itself, also cares little for what Weavile can throw at it. This is even more true for Wish variants, who can paralyze Weavile with Body Slam and then smash it with Iron Head, or set up Calm Mind with little risk (Night Slash's high critical hit rate should be kept in mind though). Keldeo is another Pokemon who isn't really threatened by Weavile. Bulky water-types in general, such as Politoed and Tentacruel, can prevent any headway by Weavile, and even Jellicent scoffs at it if Weavile chooses Ice Punch. Chansey is a particularly humiliating counter, since it can tank Weavile's hits due to Eviolite and its low weight.

Other Notes: A very cool Pokemon, but it can be a bit difficult to get full mileage out of it. There will be some games where it's an allstar, racking up two or three kills or ending the game itself in a lategame sweep, and there are others where it fails to kill anything important or is pitiably walled by something. It has gotten better with Genesect's ban, since it tended to be a walking U-turn target. Try it out for yourself.
Sweet, I didn't dare to do it myself because well...

But, I would add that it's the only Pursuiter with a Stab able to Outspeed Starmie. And the best Pursuiter to deal with Espeon and Xatu since he kills the first one with Pursuit and threaten the second one with Stab Ice/Dark moves.
So Deoxys-D is a good partner because he usually hates them.
I'd also add as partners, Gengar since this combo makes them able to block any spinner (give to Gengar a set able to beat Tentacruel), because against Starmie you can just throw your Gengar. If the Starmie attacks, well Gengar dies depending on your set, but Weavile comes after and kill Starmie. If the Starmie did Spin your Gengar is here (and hopefully his set makes him able to kill Starmie !).
And Jellicent, they resist each other's weaknesses and perform well as a Spin Blocking / Pseudo-Trapper core like Gengar.

Use

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

What It Does: Focus Sash Alakazam is a phenomenal revenge killer. Thanks to Magic Guard, it always have a functional Focus Sash when it comes in at full health, as hazards, weather and status will not damage it. This allows it to survive an onslaught and KO the opponent with the appropriate move in the same turn. Where other revenge killers (i.e. Choice Scarf users) are limited to revenging the things they can outspeed, Alakazam renders Speed a non-issue. In a metagame where boosting Speed is a frequently executed strategy, whether it be manual boost or Ability-activated, being able to revenge kill something regardless of Speed is a fantastic niche that shouldn't be underestimated in this offensive metagame. Examples of such threats you can revenge kill include Venusaur in sun, Landorus-I after a Rock Polish, Terrakion after a Salac boost, Sharpedo, Dragonite after two DDs, etc. There are some things it can't revenge kill, i.e. SS Cloyster, but there's a reason you have a full team. Although it can essentially get only one revenge kill against faster opponents, having it on your team can potentially put you at a psychological advantage, where by the opponent doesn't try to set up because they know that Alakazam will be able to come in a get a free revenge kill. Whilst Ditto can steal the boosts from enemy sweepers, Alakazam has the advantage of not having to lock itself into a move, so you can keep your offensive momentum after making a revenge kill. Even without the boost from a Life Orb, Alakazam hits very hard on its base 135 Sp. Attack alone. Theoretically you could run Modest for extra power since Focus Sash protects you anyway, though I strongly recommend Timid so you can KO Gengar, Terrakion, Keldeo, Lati@s and Starmie without having to use up your Focus Sash. Moveset wise, Psychic is usally the preferable option due to higher BP, though Psyshock can more reliably revenge kill CM Keldeo and does more damage to special tanks. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast are obligatory coverage options with your Psychic STAB of choice. Hidden Power [Ice] is also important as it KOs Landorus-I and Dragon types, both of which you may need to revenge kill and both of which can take a STAB Psychic.

Good Teammates: As Focus Sash Alakazam is unlikely to be the focus of your team, it doesn't require support from any specific teammates to succeed in its role. However, it has the tightest synergy with teams that require a general revenge killer to many of OU's top threats. Hyper offense teams will generally appreciate Alakazam the most, although it is also viable on bulky offense teams and even some balanced teams. If you are looking for specific partners though, Magnezone is a good bet as it can trap and KO Jirachi and Scizor, two of Alakazam's most prominent checks. Slow U-turn/Volt Switch users are also good teammates, as they give Alakazam the opportunity to switch in without having to take any damage, which would break its Focus Sash. You'll also want teammates that can beat Shell Smash Cloyster and QD Volcarona, as Alakazam struggles to revenge kill both of those.

What Counters It: Jirachi is one of the best counters to Alakazam, as it has enough bulk to shrug off multiple Focus Blasts, and can either cripple Alakazam with paralysis, or use it as fodder to set up Calm Mind. Scizor is similarly great at checking it, as it isn't weak to any of its moves, and can immediately threaten it with Bullet Punch. Pursuit will deal swiftly with any fleeing Alakazam. Weavile can come in on any attack other than Focus Blast, outspeed and nail it with a STAB Pursuit, which will OHKO regardless of whether or not Alakazam stays in (unless Focus Sash hasn't been broken yet, of course). The pink blobs, Chansey and Blissey, will easily wall this Alakazam if it runs Psychic over Psyshock, though the former will still wall it regardless. Other specially defensive tanks, such as Rotom-W and Gastrodon, will also be able to take on Alakazam effectively.

Any Additional Info: Remember that when using Alakazam, never let its Focus Sash get broken prematurely.

@Tabuu: You may want to mention that Garchomp can also function well in rain when using Aqua Tail.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
For Alakazam, I'd say since the biggest threat to Alakazam are fast threats like scarfs, priorities and bulky Steel...

Mamoswine could be a good partner !
While he does not scream "Alak is my buddy" at first glance, he kills the bulky steels swiftly, got his own Priority, and take care of many usual scarfers.

The issue being Bullet Punch.

Another partner that I like is Heatran.

Kills steels, resist anything threatening Alakazam and takes U-Turns. I especially love the idea of a Scarf Heatran to break pokemons that usually wall Alakazam.

Many fighting pokemons are good along with Alakazam by the way, Breloom, Conkeldurr etc.
This is only if you need some partner's suggestions.

Asek

Banned deucer.
UPDATE
When hunt adds the rest in I'll edit this to reflect that, but these are the additions so far
Added (what to use)

Physical Sweepers
Remedy's Life Orb Breloom - Post 1 point for this submission

DarkBlazeR's Sub + Dragon Dance Gyarados - Post 1 point for this submission

Asek's Dragon Dance Dragonite - post 1 point for this submission

Whitesymphoni's Sub + SD Terrakion - post 1 point for submission

Revenge Killers
Joeyboy's Choice Scarf Keldeo - post 1 point for submission

Late Game Sweepers
Qwertyuiop's Rock Polish Landorus-I - post 1 point for submission

Jimbon's Choice Scarf Salamence - post 1 point for submission

gengarnemisis's Swords Dance Lucario - post 1 point for submission

Physical Wall's
ClubbingSealClub's Physically Defensive Slowbro - post 1 point for submission

Special Wall's
ganj4lF's Specially Defensive celebi - post 1 point for submission (somebody please move this into what to use out of what not to use >_>)

Support
jaredz99's Expert Belt Abomasnow -post 1 point for submission

NixHex's Steel Destroyer Magnezone - post 1 point for submission

Dark Fallen Angel's Utility Jellicent - post 1 point for submission

Added (not to use)

Physical Sweepers
Joeyboy's Physical Infernape - post 1 point for submission

Special Sweepers
DarkBlazeR's Choice Scarf Charizard - post - 1 point for submission

Support
NixHex's SubCharge Magnezone - post 1 point for submission

Will edit once OP is edited with additions dw. will prolly make it prettier too
If all sets here get added, the current leader in points is DarkBlazeR so good job :]. Keep up the good work everyone!

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
What to use:

Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Moves:

• Substitute
  • Calm Mind
  • Thunderbolt / Thunder
  • Psyshock / Flash Cannon / Water Pulse

Role: Special Sweeper, Stallbreaker

What it does: Jirachi is a great sweeper, and even a pseudo-mixed sweeper if you choose Psyshock as the last move. It is one of the few special sweepers that laugh at Blissey/Chansey, as it can use Substitutes that will not be broken by Seismic Toss, and can use them as setup bait. Calm Mind slowy strengthens Jirachi, and also boosts its Special Defense, which means that if your opponent doesn't have a super-effective physical attack against this thing, Jirachi can potentially boost to the point that it will be unstoppable.

Calm Mind is there for obvious reasons. Substitute protects Jirachi from status, and facilitates prediction. For example, if your opponent brings something like Infernape (not that someone experienced would use him), and Jirachi uses Substitute as it switches-in, Infernape will be OHKOed by Psyshock.

An Electric-type attack is necessary to achieve the best neutral coverage possible with the last move. Thunderbolt is the primary option, but on a rain team, Thunder can replace it, as it is not only stronger, but thanks to Serene Grace, has a rage-inducer 60% chance of paralyzing your opponent.

The last move comes down to preference. Psyshock is the recommended option, as it has great coverage with Thunderbolt, and maims the common Fighting-types, such as Terrakion on the sand. Psyshock also lets Jirachi easily bypass the pink blobs after two or three CM boosts. With Psyshock, Jirachi is somewhat of a mixed sweeper, as it can hit specially defensive Pokémon with it, and physically defensive Pokémon with Thunderbolt. Flash Cannon is another great option. It lets Jirachi bypass Celebi, Tyranitar and physically defensive Ground-types like Gliscor, because the former two are resistant and immune, respectively, to Psyshock, and take little damage from Thunderbolt, and the latter doesn't take much from Psyshock because of their enormous physical defense.

However, on a rain team, Water Pulse is another great option. It is weak and doesn't have that much neutral coverage with Thunder (in fact, it misses out Dragon-, and Grass-types) but it has a 40% chance to inflict confusion status. Thogeter with Thunder's 60% chance of paralysis, your opponent will actually have a hard time trying to defeat Jirachi, and will be defeated one time or another with repeated Thunder/Water Pulse and confusion damage. If this doesn't happen, at least your opponent will be crippled by paralysis.

Good Teammates: Anything that has resitances and/or immunities to Ground AND Fire is a good partner. This includes: Dragon-types like Lati@s, Salamence, Dragonite, Hydreigon, as well as Balloon Heatran, and Gyarados. They are generally capable of switching-in on Jirachi's weakness, and then wrecking avoc by defeating whatever Jirachi has problems taking down. As you may noted, Jirachi has serious problems against many Ground-types. For this reason, Grass-types are amazing partners, especially Ferrothorn and Celebi. The former has hazards that facilitate Jirachi's work, and the latter can defeat almost any Ground-type, and can even check dangerous Pokémon for Jirachi, such as Sheer Force Landorus. Politoed is another amazing partner. Politoed checks most Ground-types, and summons a rain that negates Jirachi's weakness to Fire. Not to mention that Jirachi is able to use Water Pulse + Thunder to hax the opponent.

What Counters it: As was mentioned numerous times above, Ground-types are good counters for Jirachi, most of time, especially if they are physically defensive. Hippowdon and Gliscor deserve mentions, as they laugh at most atempts of Jirachi to do anything. The former can even phaze Jirachi if she dares boosting even more. Even if Jirachi carries Water Pulse, it is better off switching-out. Dugtrio traps and kill Jirachi before it can do anything. Jirachi's only chance is if Dugtrio do NOT carry Focus Sash (or if Stealth Rock is on field) and Jirachi has 1 CM Boost, an intact Substitute and Psyshock (or Water Pulse on rain). This way, as Dugtrio breaks Jirachi's substitute, it is OHKOed by Psyshock (or Water Pulse on rain). However, this is a very obscure situation that is unlikely to happen most of time, so Dugtrio remains a serious threat to Jirachi. However, the worst of them all is Quagsire, as it ignores all Jirachi's boosts.

Apart from Ground-types, Jirachi has problems with Fire-types, although they are less effective than Ground-types in terms of taking down Jirachi, for three reasons. The first is that all of them are weak to Stealth Rock, with exception of Heatran and Infernape (I am only speaking of common Fire-types). The second is that most of them aren't immune or resistant to Electric, so Jirachi can simply hit them with Thunder(bolt) and then switch-out as they break its Substitute. The third is that Jirachi's Fire-type weakness can be negated by rain, and in fact, on rain, expect Jirachi to carry Water Pulse, a move to which Fire-types are weak.

Ferrothorn resists all attacking moves that Jirachi can possibly use, but if Jirachi has an intact Substitute, Ferrothorn can't annoy him with Leech Seed, and Ferrothorn risks being haxed by Water Pulse + Thunder variants. The same applies to Magnezone, which although can trap Jirachi, actually has problems taking her down as Jirachi can boost her Special Defense to the point that Magnezone can't effectively trap her.

Tyranitar is an annoyance to variants with Psyshock, as Jirachi has to boost various times to OHKO with Thunderbolt, and Tyranitar can easily break Jirachi's substitutes with Crunch. Specially Defensive Celebi resists all moves that Jirachi uses, apart from Flash Cannon, and can use Perish Song to force her out. The same applies to Latias, that can phaze Jirachi. It can even CM alongside Jirachi, but unless it packs phazing, Jirachi will almost always win the CM war due to her double resistance to Psyshock and the fact that she almost always carry Psyshock herself.

Any Additional Info: Jirachi is an amazing Pokémon for teams that want an versatile special sweeper that can even take down the uncommon stall teams. The good of using Jirachi is that it doesn't actually require Rapid Spin support, as it is immune to Toxic Spikes and resistant to Stealth Rock. Actually, Jirachi is one of the special sweepers that require the less support possible. Jirachi is an special sweeper that inspires a fear on the trainer's hearts, that as Jirachi slowy boosts, it become more and more impossible to take down. Expect teams without Earthquake to lose to Jirachi if they don't have another way to defeat her.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)