Risk or Reward? An NU warstory

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hello there! It’s me, Punchshroom! Some of you, especially NU players, may know me, some may not, but that’s fine! Today I bring you a NU warstory for you to enjoy! Sadly, warstories come about once in a blue moon when some time ago they were posted as much as once a month. I really hope more warstories would follow through after this one. Anyhow onto the battle!

This battle is against a fellow NU player with considerable skill. I’ve fought him before, but this match was easily the best of them. Aside from being a very close match, this battle also helps to illustrate this article. Did that spoil it a bit for you? Don’t worry, you won’t expect the result that easily! Without further ado, let’s begin!

TalkTakesTime joined.
Punchshroom joined.
Format: NU
Rated battle
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Species Clause
Rule: OHKO Clause
Rule: Moody Clause
Rule: Evasion Clause

Punchshroom's team:
/
/
/
/
/

TalkTakesTime's team:
/
/
/
/
/

TalkTakesTime's team utilises your traditional regen core of Alomomoongus, the top but frankly overrated threat Cincinno, a VERY underrated threat Swoobat, a well known powerhouse Ludicolo, and the bulkiest ghost type in NU, Misdreavus. His team is nothing too special really, but I’m the guy using all three Unovan starters. While I did call Cincinno overrated, my team does have trouble with it, especially if I do not lead properly. I decide to use my Scarf Rotom-F to get a hit on the likely Cincinno lead before it pimpslaps my team around.

Battle between TalkTakesTime and Punchshroom started!
TalkTakesTime sent out Cinccino!
Punchshroom sent out Rotom-Frost!

100%VS
100%

That was expected, but doesn’t make it any easier to face. As frail as Cincinno is, an unboosted Volt Switch can only do so much.

Turn 1
Rotom-Frost used Volt Switch!
The foe's Cinccino lost 51% of its health!
Punchshroom called Rotom-Frost back!
Punchshroom sent out Garbodor!
Garbodor floats in the air with its Air Balloon!
The foe's Cinccino used Rock Blast!
Garbodor lost 12% of its health!
Garbodor's Air Balloon popped!
A critical hit! Garbodor lost 25% of its health!
Garbodor lost 11% of its health!
Garbodor lost 11% of its health!
Hit 5 time(s)!
The foe's Cinccino lost some of its HP!

100%
29% VS
39%
Since he uses a Regenerator core, a flyer and a levitator, Spikes are near useless in this matchup. Garbodor is also the only one that can take a Tail Slap reasonably well (though I expected Rock Blast). I prepare to sac my Garbodor...

Turn 2
The foe's Cinccino used Tail Slap!
Garbodor lost 17% of its health!
Hit 2 time(s)!
Garbodor fainted!
The foe's Cinccino is hurt by its Aftermath!
Punchshroom sent out Swellow!

0%
100% VS
4%
...but not before leaving a liitle parting gift in Aftermath. Cincinno is on it’s last legs now, and that is why i expect him to sac it also. Swellow is sent in for the revenge kill.

Turn 3
TalkTakesTime called Cinccino back!
TalkTakesTime sent out Alomomola!
Swellow used Brave Bird!
The foe's Alomomola lost 26% of its health!
Swellow is damaged by recoil!
The foe's Alomomola restored HP using its Leftovers!
Swellow's Toxic Orb activated!
Swellow was badly poisoned!

PSN 87% VS
80%
4%
Looks like my opponent decides to save his Cincinno and sends in the wall of all NU physical walls, the Luvdisc evo but not really pokemon. Staying in might seem like a foolish move, but I do so on order to gauge my guts boosted damage output.

Turn 4
Swellow used Facade!
The foe's Alomomola lost 40% of its health!
The foe's Alomomola used Wish!
Swellow was hurt by poison!

PSN 81% VS
46% WISH
Darn, short of the 2HKO thanks to lefties. He sees this too and may not bother to Protect, and may even try to attack me outright.

Turn 5
The foe's Alomomola used Protect!
The foe's Alomomola protected itself!
Swellow used U-turn!
Alomomola's wish came true!

PSN 69% VS
100%
Wishful thinking again on my part. My opponent goes the safe route again, causing my Swellow to take even more damage. Switching Serperior in on Toxic this early would be devastating, but I chance it and U-turn once more, seeing as he can’t Protect again.

Turn 6
But it failed!
Swellow used U-turn!
The foe's Alomomola lost 14% of its health!
Punchshroom called Swellow back!
Punchshroom sent out Serperior!

PSN 69%
100% VS
92%
Well techically he can, but that’s what happens. Serperior comes in for free and instantly threatens Alomo with set-up. In case he doesn’t switch, I Substitute to block a Toxic.

Turn 7
TalkTakesTime called Alomomola back!
TalkTakesTime sent out Amoonguss!
Serperior used Substitute!
Serperior put in a substitute!
Serperior lost 25% of its health!
Serperior restored HP using its Leftovers!

81% VS
100%
100%
Here’s the deciding factor. If he has Sludge Bomb, Serperior can’t win. If he has Clear Smog instead, Serperior will triumph, guaranteed. (You can’t get that many crit haxes in a row) Now to Calm Mind to strengthen my power and bulk.

Turn 8
Serperior used Calm Mind!
Serperior's Special Attack rose!
Serperior's Special Defense rose!
The foe's Amoonguss used Clear Smog!
It's super effective! Serperior's substitute took the damage!

+1 Sp. Atk +1 Sp. Def
87% VS
100%
To my delight, he does have Clear Smog, which fails to break the sub. I continue boosting away without a care.

Turn 9
It's super effective! Serperior's substitute faded!
+2 Sp. Atk +2 Sp. Def 93% VS
100%
I sub up again to avoid both Spore and Clear Smog. Serperior is essential to breaking the regen core.

Turn 10
It's super effective! Serperior's substitute took the damage!

+2 Sp. Atk +2 Sp. Def
75% VS
100%
It has suddenly come to my attention that he has Cincinno waiting in the wings, ready to break my sub and poor Serp itself. I start attacking in order to gauge the damage it will do to that mushroom or kill Cincinno on the switch.

Turn 11
Serperior used Hidden Power!
It's super effective! The foe's Amoonguss lost 42% of its health!
It's super effective! Serperior's substitute faded!
The foe's Amoonguss restored HP using its Black Sludge!

+2 Sp. Atk +2 Sp. Def 81% VS
64%
Well that was incredibly underwhelming, I’ve encountered far too many physically defensive Amoonguss to know it won’t do that little. Specially defensive Amoonguss is also a pain since it takes my Samurott’s Ice Beam and even Rotom-F’s Blizzard better than you’d expect. It’s probably a bigger pain to this team than physically defensive Amoonguss simply because Swellow and Emboar slaughter them anyway. Serperior is now exposed without a sub, and since he seems intent on staying in, I go for Sub for reasons explained above.

Turn 12
TalkTakesTime called Amoonguss back!
TalkTakesTime sent out Cinccino!

+2 Sp. Atk +2 Sp. Def
62% VS
4%
97%
I walked right into that one, he switched in on the perfect moment, now threatening to brutalize Serperior with life orb Tail Slap. I can’t even get back health with Giga Drain because it’s gonna kill itself, so I simply Calm Mind up some more.

Turn 13
The foe's Cinccino used Tail Slap!
Serperior's substitute took the damage!
Serperior's substitute faded!
Serperior lost 17% of its health!
Serperior lost 16% of its health!
Serperior lost 17% of its health!
Hit 5 time(s)!
The foe's Cinccino fainted!

+3 Sp. Atk +3 Sp. Def 18% VS
97%
0%
To my horror, I can’t sub up again to cockblock Amoonguss. Fearing a Spore, I switch to Swellow to scare him away.

Turn 14
Punchshroom called Serperior back!
Swellow lost 35% of its health!
Swellow's stat changes were removed!
Swellow was hurt by poison
!
18%
PSN 28% VS
100%
I’m starting to get demoralized here. Swellow has taken far too much damage without actually doing ANYTHING. However, I adapt to his conservative playstyle and U-turn out to Rotom-F on the obvious Alomomola switchin.

Turn 15
TalkTakesTime called Amoonguss back!
Swellow used U-turn!
The foe's Alomomola lost 14% of its health!

PSN 28%
100% VS
92%
100%
Works like a charm. I contemplate Trick here, knowing it will screw over his Alomomola, Amoonguss or his Misdreavus if he decides to go out into that for whatever reason. Then I remember he likes to Protect. Scouting out what move I’ll use and recognizing the appropriate switch will benefit him greatly, so I don’t even go for Volt Switch here and bail out to my other stallbreaker.

Turn 16
Punchshroom sent out Samurott!
But it failed!

100%
100% VS
98%
Samurott’s in the building and he’s not playing games. Part of what makes him a huge threat is that he can run Swords Dance sets or Specially Offensive sets very effectively, meaning you’re screwed if you bring in the wrong counter/check. So what Samurott am I using? A very weird mixed attacking life orb Samurott with Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Taunt and Superpower as a big f**k u to Regice & Lickilicky. I don’t actually have anything to strike Alomomola hard (though it still dislikes life orb boosted Hydro Pumps), but Taunt suffices in preventing its Toxic and Wish.

Turn 17
TalkTakesTime sent out Misdreavus!
Samurott used Taunt!
The foe's Misdreavus fell for the taunt!

100% VS
100% Taunted
100%
He makes a fairly odd switch to Misdreavus when he has a Ludicolo on his team, but perhaps he feared a Megahorn. Misdreavus is Taunted, meaning it can’t use its statusing or Pain Splitting shenanigans. Hydro Pump should be a solid 2HKO on physically defensive Misdreavus, the more common variant.

Turn 18
Samurott used Hydro Pump!
The foe's Misdreavus lost 59% of its health!
Samurott lost some of its HP!
The foe's Misdreavus used Shadow Ball!
Samurott lost 36% of its health!

54% VS
41%Taunted
It does a good chunk of damage to it. I could predict a switch to one of his Grass types but Missy can survive an Ice beam and kill me with Shadow Ball, so I just power through.

Turn 19
TalkTakesTime called Misdreavus back!
Samurott used Hydro Pump!
A critical hit! It's not very effective... The foe's Amoonguss lost 45% of its health!

44% VS
61%
41%
Despite seeing Hydro Pump, he still feared a Megahorn, so he switched in Amoonguss instead, only to receive a crit on the switch. I know that Samurott will no longer be helpful against the rest of his team when at such low health, so I have it unleash a final Ice Beam to weaken the mushroom so that it cannot withstand Serperior’s rampage later.

Turn 20
Samurott used Ice Beam!
It's super effective! The foe's Amoonguss lost 46% of its health!
The foe's Amoonguss used Giga Drain!
It's super effective! Samurott lost 34% of its health!
Samurott had its energy drained!
Samurott fainted!

0%
100%VS
35%
Rotom-F enters the fray, and I do not need to think too much here. The remainder of his team is struck convincingly hard by Blizzard (I do not have Hidden Power Ice), and Alomo is too scared to switch in on a possible Volt Switch. Something’s getting the cold shoulder, and it better not be that damn sunfish.

Turn 21
Rotom-Frost used Blizzard!
It's super effective! The foe's Amoonguss lost 35% of its health!
The foe's Amoonguss fainted!
TalkTakesTime sent out Ludicolo!

100%VS
100%
0%
Amoonguss bites it, though with Samurott gone and Serperior near dead it was a small victory. Ludicolo on the other hand threatens a sweep through my team with a Rain Dance to trigger Swift Swim and deluge everything with boosted Water attacks, Giga Drain and Ice Beam. Seeing as no other Pokemon on my team can switch in, I have no choice but to hope Blizzard pulls through for me.

Turn 22
The foe's Ludicolo lost 57% of its health!
The foe's Ludicolo used Rain Dance!
It started to rain!

100%VS
43% RAIN
First Blizzard came through, and the dreaded rain starts to pour. If he hits or I miss, I’m done for.

Turn 23
The foe's Ludicolo used Hydro Pump!
Rotom-Frost lost 97% of its health!
The foe's Ludicolo lost 43% of its health!
The foe's Ludicolo fainted!
Punchshroom: this is why we use life orb

3%VS
100%
0% RAIN
He nails me with Hydro Pump...but somehow I live by the skin of my teeth. No life orb recoil...well thank god for that, this match is still undecided! He brings in Alomo since Ludi failed to finish me off and I’m locked in on Blizzard, which hit 3 times in a row by the way. I’m very impressed with that. Rotom-F, you’re the MVP of this match without a doubt. Now for the Alomomola...

Turn 24
Punchshroom sent out Serperior!
The foe's Alomomola used Toxic!
Serperior was badly poisoned!
Serperior was hurt by poison!

3%
PSN 18% VS
100% RAIN
Balls, I expected him to finish off my 3% Rotom-F with dat rain boosted Waterfall, but Toxic works too, and Serperior pays the price. At least Overgrow boosted Giga Drain will help me live a bit longer.

Turn 25
TalkTakesTime: Oh it's you again lol
Serperior used Giga Drain!

PSN 12% VS
100% RAIN
Dat prick Alomo Protects again, making me take even more Toxic damage. It is at this point both me and TalkTakesTime realize we’re fighting each other for the umpteenth time (late huh?) Anyway, I desperately try to hang on with a boosted Giga Drain.

Turn 26
Punchshroom: i just realized too lol
TalkTakesTime: Yeah I was going to change it to LO but I forgot D:
TalkTakesTime: After last night
TalkTakesTime sent out Swoobat!
Serperior used Giga Drain!
It's not very effective... The foe's Swoobat lost 36% of its health!
The foe's Swoobat had its energy drained!
The foe's Swoobat restored HP using its Leftovers!

PSN 8% VS
70%
100% RAIN
Serperior’s mediocre unboosted offenses show here. Swoobat, one of the frailest Pokemon of all time, takes just 1/3 from Overgrow boosted Giga Drain. Also, he mentioned he did forget to put life orb on Ludicolo. I check back to see the amount of turns that rain has poured. Since it is supposed to end this turn, the Ludicolo is holding Damp Rock (this plays out a bit later). Since Swoobats aren’t known for hitting hard without boosts, I suppose he will boost up to take my Giga Drains better and make Stored Power uber strong.

Turn 27
Punchshroom called Serperior back!
The foe's Swoobat used Calm Mind!
The foe's Swoobat's Special Attack sharply rose!
The foe's Swoobat's Special Defense sharply rose!
The foe's Swoobat restored HP using its Leftovers!

PSN 8%
PSN 22% VS
+2 Sp. Atk +2 Sp. Def 77% RAIN
Of course, Swoobat will never get far with those boosts when I have Swellow on my team. While I can U-turn predicting the Alomo switch, not killing him would prove disastrous for my team, as Rotom-F can’t revenge him anymore with the boosts.

Turn 28
TalkTakesTime called Swoobat back!
Swellow used Facade!
The foe's Alomomola lost 47% of its health!

PSN 10% VS
59%
77% RAIN
He saves his Swoobat for later and walls my Swellow to hell and back. I predict he might go for Protect again like a dick to kill me with poison, so Emboar makes his first appearance...

Turn 29
Punchshroom sent out Emboar!
The foe's Alomomola used Waterfall!
It's super effective! Emboar lost 86% of its health!
The rain stopped.
Punchshroom: oh snap
TalkTakesTime: That was well predicted

PSN 10%
14% VS
65%
...straight into a rain boosted Waterfall. I should’ve seen this coming, he had no reason to not Waterfall seeing as my remaining team would get wrecked by it. Ironically, Emboar was the only one able to take the hit despite being the only one weak to the move, which was probably why he commended my "prediction". I have my Choice Banded Emboar go kamikaze and hit Alomomola as hard as it can.

Turn 30
Punchshroom: at least i lived
Emboar used Wild Charge!
14% VS
71%
Oh, now he Protects. Would’ve saved Emboar a lot of health if he did that on my switchin. Wild Charge again.

Turn 31

Emboar used Wild Charge!
It's super effective! The foe's Alomomola lost 50% of its health!
Emboar is damaged by recoil!
Emboar fainted!
The foe's Alomomola used Wish!
0%
3%VS
27% WISH
I shave his health clean in half, only to be negated by Wish on the following turn. Rotom-F is sent in, and I have to predict really well here. What would be my opponent’s safest move? Below is how our current teams match up.
Team Progress
3%
77%
0%
41%
10%PSN
27%
0%
0%
0%
0%
8%PSN
0%

Needless to say, it’s not looking up for me. Rotom-F dies to literally anything (lol Swoobat’s +0 Stored Power), and my “healthier” pokes aren’t doing much better AND are badly poisoned, meaning Alomo can Protect stall them. One mistake on my part in this turn and game over.

I have Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Trick and Blizzard. Trick screws over Alomomola, but Rotom-F would lose its speed advantage against Swoobat. If Alomomola attacks, Swellow would still be walled by choiced Alomomola and Serperior loses the boosting war to Swoobat, not to mention the type disadvantage. If I Volt Switch, I kill him if he attacks and have Swellow sweep him, and not if he Protects or switches to Misdreavus. Misdreavus. I am suddenly not confident on Thunderbolt being capable of KOing a 41% Eviolite Missy, meaning it will receive the Wish and spell the end for me. I’m sure Blizzard can take it down, but it won’t do jack to Alomomola, especially if he scouts it out with Protect, and it could miss now when it hit so many times before. So should I Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, or Blizzard?

Turn 32
Rotom-Frost used Thunderbolt!
Alomomola's wish came true!
3% VS
83%
In the end, I bank on him going for Protect as the “conservative” play and scout my move, but he does not like what he sees. He has used up his wish and cannot afford to lose Alomomola to avoid getting destroyed by Swellow.

Turn 33
TalkTakesTime sent out Misdreavus!
The foe's Misdreavus lost 36% of its health!
Punchshroom: my team is hanging on with a sliver of health yet i still have a chance to win

3% VS
5%
100%
Well I say that, but the battle has already been won. As you can see, Missy does survive the T-bolt and would be at full health had it received the wish. Thankfully for me, he did not take the gamble and it cost him the match.

Turn 34
The foe's Misdreavus lost 5% of its health!
The foe's Misdreavus fainted!
TalkTakesTime sent out Swoobat!
TalkTakesTime: Yeah

3% VS
77%
0%
Swoobat would definitely not survive T-bolt due to its infamous paper-thin defenses.

Turn 35
It's super effective! The foe's Swoobat lost 77% of its health!
The foe's Swoobat fainted!
Punchshroom: if all else, very good game

3% VS
100%
0%
His team falls one by one to the might of the fridge. Time for the final kill.

Turn 36
It's super effective! The foe's Alomomola lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Alomomola fainted!

3% VS
0%
Punchshroom won the battle!
This battle was extremely close and could’ve gone either way, such as Ludicolo getting a high damage roll with Hydro Pump, Rotom-F missing just one Blizzard, and Cincinno being just 4% away from not ruining Serperior’s sweep. However, turn 32 was easily the turning point of the match. Protect may ease prediction, but if you do not take a risk, don’t expect a reward. We acknowledge each other’s prowess and commend the other for a damn good game that was completely haxfree.

TalkTakesTime: Damn
TalkTakesTime: gg
Punchshroom: let's warstory this lol
TalkTakesTime: You are a solid opponent :p
Punchshroom: thanks :D
TalkTakesTime: Haha you can if you want
Punchshroom: not too sure though :P
Punchshroom: but too interesting to pass up
TalkTakesTime: Yeah
TalkTakesTime: Idk if I could have stalled your Serperior out

Props:
: Any pokemon that has 70% accurate moves connect 3 times in a row when I need them to will be engraved as MVP in my book. Surviving a rain-boosted Hydro Pump from Ludicolo is also pretty boss.
: Thanks to it, Swellow didn’t do shit and couldn’t wreak as much havoc as one would expect against a team without a normal/flying resist.
: Specifically specially defensive Amoonguss. You see so many physically defensive ones you don’t even expect these any more. It stood up to Serperior AND Samurott and stopped them easily.

Slops:
: It Calm Minded and that’s it, aside from forcing Serperior out.
: It couldn’t even move. Aftermath even worked against me because Serperior couldn’t get extra health with Giga Drain to fight Amoonguss.
: Sorry buddy, today was not your chance to shine.
: For not holding life orb.
: He could’ve saved the game for TalkTakesTime.

Hope you enjoyed it! Reviews welcome!

I don't know much about NU, but this was a really cool warstory to read. The formatting was excellent and the battle was pretty exciting. Your opponent should have Protected, then sacced Swoobat though. Then at least Missy could have KO'd your Rotom and then switch to wall Serperior/Swellow as they died to poison damage. Nonetheless, excellent warstory. A luvdisc for you.

Punchshroom

I don't know much about NU, but this was a really cool warstory to read. The formatting was excellent and the battle was pretty exciting. Your opponent should have Protected, then sacced Swoobat though. Then at least Missy could have KO'd your Rotom and then switch to wall Serperior/Swellow as they died to poison damage. Nonetheless, excellent warstory. A luvdisc for you.
If he did that, Swellow, despite being at low health can pick off the scraps, as after T-bolt from Rotom-F, Missy won't have enough health to kill Swellow off with Brave Bird recoil and Toxic damage, while Serperior can deal with both Alomo and Missy now that Swoobat is out of the picture.

Absolutely. Gotta say, kuddos for you for taking the time to set this up perfectly so the reader can understand easily what is going on. I hope Warstories will eventually make a comeback if they continue to looks like this. Cheers.

Punchshroom

Absolutely. Gotta say, kuddos for you for taking the time to set this up perfectly so the reader can understand easily what is going on. I hope Warstories will eventually make a comeback if they continue to looks like this. Cheers.
Thanks for the feedback! Yes, that is primarily what I'm hoping for, the return of awesome warstories like Legacy Raider's that captivate the viewers' attention. Considering this is my first one, I'm pretty proud of it.

It's clear you are on the right track. Who knows this could be the start of something, warstories can start up like wildfire. Keep it up, obviously you have a knack for story telling, so keep your eyes open if you have another good battle like this one in the near future.

I'e never played a single NU game but this is one hell of a warstory. An extremely close battle with good plays and good presentation. Just awesome man !

Ey, i know u. Nice story, by the way. U were the guy who won me, and a couple of hours later, we met again and that time i won you.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wow this was a really good warstory: I hope we see more of these in this forum in the future.

Punchshroom

Wow this was a really good warstory: I hope we see more of these in this forum in the future.
Yeah I agree with Django, the NU subforum needs more of those.
Yeah we need more pls, but some people are too lazy to do it (cough cough cbb).

Cool warstory, nice commentary, and the format was great. :]
Great warstory and narration. I'm hoping that more of these will appear in the NU forums in the near future.
Best WarStory I've read in a while. Hope to see more in the future.
Thanks for the great feedback guys, I really appreciate it! It's a pity the most recent warstory is, to put it bluntly, a letdown, but we're getting somewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)