Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Celebi is an excellent check, coming in on nearly all of their movesets (bar X-Scissor, and even that doesn't 1HKO), Thunder Waving to cripple, and KOing with Psychic.

Celebi is an excellent check, coming in on nearly all of their movesets (bar X-Scissor, and even that doesn't 1HKO), Thunder Waving to cripple, and KOing with Psychic.
Okay thanks, but what about a non-legendary is a good check to Choice Scarf Terrakion and Swords Dance Breloom?

Okay thanks, but what about a non-legendary is a good check to Choice Scarf Terrakion and Swords Dance Breloom?
Without raising an eyebrow to the non-legendary part of your question, I think Toxicroak is a pretty good bet. Whilst Breloom can still beat it if it puts it to Sleep with Spore, Toxicroak resists both of their respective STAB moves, and can hit them hard in return with Drain Punch/Ice Punch.

Without raising an eyebrow to the non-legendary part of your question, I think Toxicroak is a pretty good bet. Whilst Breloom can still beat it if it puts it to Sleep with Spore, Toxicroak resists both of their respective STAB moves, and can hit them hard in return with Drain Punch/Ice Punch.
But wouldn't earthquake from Terrakion be the end of Toxicroak?

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
no terrak in its right mind would lock itself into earthquake if it was choiced; in fact no choiced terrak should be running earthquake at all - see my longass post 2 pages ago

jrp

Banned deucer.
Physically defensive metagross can also deal with the two of them.

252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Metagross: 118-139 (32.41 - 38.18%) -- 2.05% chance to 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Metagross: 168-199 (46.15 - 54.67%) -- 6.25% chance to 2HKO

Meta is cool because it has supereffective coverage on the both of them

alternatively you could just use Celebi which easily walls the both of them

Physically defensive Metagross is pretty much 2HKOed after Spikes. Despite this, without Atk you cannot 2HKO even the frailest Breloom with Ice Punch or Zen Headbutt. That's not very good for a defensive mon without recovery and I find Metagross generally lacking these days.
It's cool though, I give you that.

Celebi really is the best one. Bulky Toxicroak can be OHKOed by SR and three hits of +2 Bullet Seed. The offensive Toxicroak can outrun Breloom but is likely to get 2HKOed by Terrakion's Close Combat after SR - unless is is raining.

hi i find that keldeo is a very big threat to my team and idk what to replace to counter/check him. my team is tyranitar, rp landorus, sp.def rotom-w, tech breloom, physical def skarmory, and scarf terrakion

hi i find that keldeo is a very big threat to my team and idk what to replace to counter/check him. my team is tyranitar, rp landorus, sp.def rotom-w, tech breloom, physical def skarmory, and scarf terrakion
You could try celebi > Breloom, as they are both grass types and celebi handles keldeo quite well (especially the specially defensive variant) but normal variants should handle it pretty well.

Latias is another mon that can handle anything keldeo throws at it. Especially the timid max speed/max HP variants with psyshock.

They don't share a counter (to my knowledge) but...

Scarf Terrakion-->Gliscor/Landorus-T
Breloom-->Tornadus-T

Should I give Togekiss 252 HP or 248 HP? I was looking at it and found the analysis said 252, but then its hp would be even, so it could only switch into SR 4 instead of 5 times.

Should I give Togekiss 252 HP or 248 HP? I was looking at it and found the analysis said 252, but then its hp would be even, so it could only switch into SR 4 instead of 5 times.
The numbers you want to avoid with Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock are those divisible by 4, not 2 (because they lose 1/4 of their HP when they switch in rounded down, not 1/2). Togekiss has 374 max HP, which isn't divisible by 4 (374/4 = 93.5). As a result, you can max out its HP without having to worry about Stealth Rock (just be sure not to give it 244 HP EVs or another number that will give it HP divisible by 4).

What kind of spread should I run on a double dance Scizor set with BP and Bug Bite, and what would make good partners? Heatran obviously for fire, maybe Lati@s?

What kind of spread should I run on a double dance Scizor set with BP and Bug Bite, and what would make good partners? Heatran obviously for fire, maybe Lati@s?
I would say max speed / max attack, unless you are using a rain team and want Scizor to be able to withstand a hit or two. Use the honko calculator to check how much the special threats to your current team do and find a good benmarch.

For partners, obviously something that can remove pokes that resist your 2 STABs. Dugtrio deals with Heatran very well, and then you'd need something that could reliably take out Jellicent and Skarmory, as well as other physical walls like Hippo. Specs Gothithelle can dispose of Skarmory (or at least bring down to sturdy) and cripple Hippo pretty well with either Psychic or Trick, and Jellicent that don't pack Shadow Ball will get mauled by Specs Thunderbolt.

Double Dance on Scizor is rather .. awkward, at least when you do not Baton Pass. Scizor needs its STABs in order to funktion as a sweeper but that does not leave you room for Superpower, necessary for Heatran and Magnezone.
If you REALLY must, Jolly 252/252 for you; you need the extra speed to outrun Scarf-Mence and Scarf-Lando.
As for teammates, take the usual ones plus those who can take on Magnezone, Heatran and Skarmory. Dugtrio and Magnezone are already suggested, Rotom-W also does its job.

The numbers you want to avoid with Pokemon weak to Stealth Rock are those divisible by 4, not 2 (because they lose 1/4 of their HP when they switch in rounded down, not 1/2). Togekiss has 374 max HP, which isn't divisible by 4 (374/4 = 93.5). As a result, you can max out its HP without having to worry about Stealth Rock (just be sure not to give it 244 HP EVs or another number that will give it HP divisible by 4).
ok thanks for that :)

and one more question. my team uses genesect to counter lots of stuff, but it just got banned. my team has CM latias, CM reuniclus, Def Skarmory, SDef Heatran, and SDef Gastrodon. I don't know how I'll counter the threats to my team like the therian forms, dragons (especially scarfed), and keldeo to an extent. Is there any replacement for genesect that can do the job almost as well and cover those threats and others i may have not mentioned?

Ice, more Ice, Psychic, dragon resistance, - it looks like a job for Jirachi. It is faster than the therian forms and as fast as Salamence, resists dragon and has way more HP than Genesect.

The Scarf one (252/252) is similar to Genesect, a bit weaker, but funtions well enough. It has enough power to OHKO Mence with Ice Punch. It struggles a bit against Gliscor though so be prepared to U-Turn a lot, unless you are Adamant. Iron Head is suggested, but if you are willing to take a loss in accuracy, Zen Headbutt checks both Terrakion and Keldeo at the cost of Kyurem-B (they rarely come in anyway, because they expect Iron Head).

Otherwise, a bulky Water like Jellicent can check these apart from Thundurus-T, for which you hopefully have Gastrodon alive. Ferrothorn too, just watch out for Landorus and Keldeo.

I would say max speed / max attack, unless you are using a rain team and want Scizor to be able to withstand a hit or two. Use the honko calculator to check how much the special threats to your current team do and find a good benmarch.

For partners, obviously something that can remove pokes that resist your 2 STABs. Dugtrio deals with Heatran very well, and then you'd need something that could reliably take out Jellicent and Skarmory, as well as other physical walls like Hippo. Specs Gothithelle can dispose of Skarmory (or at least bring down to sturdy) and cripple Hippo pretty well with either Psychic or Trick, and Jellicent that don't pack Shadow Ball will get mauled by Specs Thunderbolt.
Dugtrio with Sash and Reversal?

Gothitelle is an interesting suggestion too. I'll have to look into that. I do find Breloom to be a fantastic Jellicent check though.

Double Dance on Scizor is rather .. awkward, at least when you do not Baton Pass. Scizor needs its STABs in order to funktion as a sweeper but that does not leave you room for Superpower, necessary for Heatran and Magnezone.
If you REALLY must, Jolly 252/252 for you; you need the extra speed to outrun Scarf-Mence and Scarf-Lando.
As for teammates, take the usual ones plus those who can take on Magnezone, Heatran and Skarmory. Dugtrio and Magnezone are already suggested, Rotom-W also does its job.
It is a strange set, but I am thinking it will do fairly well with the proper support.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hp ice is generally better because of the power. you outspeed most things anyway and few common scarfers will switch blind on tornadus-T - the ones that would (eg scarf jirachi can eat a hurric), you can't break through with nadus anyway and you'll just be hard switching/uturning out. the only version of tornadus-T that could even run icy wind is LO and the fourth slot there is generally better spent on taunt/rain dance/etc

ok thanks for that :)

and one more question. my team uses genesect to counter lots of stuff, but it just got banned. my team has CM latias, CM reuniclus, Def Skarmory, SDef Heatran, and SDef Gastrodon. I don't know how I'll counter the threats to my team like the therian forms, dragons (especially scarfed), and keldeo to an extent. Is there any replacement for genesect that can do the job almost as well and cover those threats and others i may have not mentioned?
Scarf Latios can deal with all those threats and is an easy replacement of CM Latias. CM Reuniclus and CM Latias have large overlapping roles and are stopped by very similar Pokemon. Honestly, CM Reuniclus is not the best sweeper to use in this metagame, so I would suggest a different Pokemon over it (possibly CM Keldeo to take out Tyranitar).

You'd rather not. It only makes a difference at Gliscor and offensive Dragonite.
Gliscor should get the hell out, when it sees you coming in because Hurricane hurts its long-livety.
Dragonite can be KOed with SR and Hurricane. The difference is that if you haven't broken Multiscale, neither move will OHKO it. At +1 Ape and Atk, Dragonite will outspeed you and OHKO you with Dragon Claw/Outrage. So if for some reason they decide to setup on you, Icy Wind will drop its speed and allows you to KO it - expect ExtremeSpeed to hit you though.

In short: If you have confidence in keeping up SR, there won't be any need for it. If not, you still have to decide whether another support move like Taunt or Rain Dance is better.

Ice, more Ice, Psychic, dragon resistance, - it looks like a job for Jirachi. It is faster than the therian forms and as fast as Salamence, resists dragon and has way more HP than Genesect.

The Scarf one (252/252) is similar to Genesect, a bit weaker, but funtions well enough. It has enough power to OHKO Mence with Ice Punch. It struggles a bit against Gliscor though so be prepared to U-Turn a lot, unless you are Adamant. Iron Head is suggested, but if you are willing to take a loss in accuracy, Zen Headbutt checks both Terrakion and Keldeo at the cost of Kyurem-B (they rarely come in anyway, because they expect Iron Head).

Otherwise, a bulky Water like Jellicent can check these apart from Thundurus-T, for which you hopefully have Gastrodon alive. Ferrothorn too, just watch out for Landorus and Keldeo.
Thanks for the answer. I think i might try jirachi. I feel like jellicent and ferrothorn might overlap with skarm and gastrodon, but ill see if they might work too.

Scarf Latios can deal with all those threats and is an easy replacement of CM Latias. CM Reuniclus and CM Latias have large overlapping roles and are stopped by very similar Pokemon. Honestly, CM Reuniclus is not the best sweeper to use in this metagame, so I would suggest a different Pokemon over it (possibly CM Keldeo to take out Tyranitar).
Thanks for the feedback. I never thought of scarf latios... I guess its time to thrown him into my team! ^_^ Regarding cm reuniclus, its always been kind of a safety cushion for my team, but i think it might be time to let it go and fill it with keldeo. Is there any pokemon that can fill in the last spot with the current team? (scarf latios, sdef heatran and gastro, def skarm, cm keldeo) i was thinking either someing offensive or a support pokemon, but im unsure what other role needs to be fulfilled in my team.

You loose the jump over neutral Venusaur in sun, +2 Cloyster, +1 Landorus, +1 base 100 (Salamence, Jirachi, Volcanora), and Scarf Hydreigon, Haxorus, Kyurem. Long list, you see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)