November 2012 OU Stats

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On the subject of Infernape being bad - yes, I mostly agree. However, I personally used Infernape for a while as a check to Genesect. Volcarona just simply doesn't cut it for repeated switches into Genesect, as a Rapid Spinner is hard pressed to do anyhing against Genesect or spin, since Genesect OHKOs all the spinners in OU other than Tentacruel, so Volcarona can't really check it efficiently when it loses 50% of its health on the switch. However, Infernape is different. It can easily OHKO with Fire Blast, but unlike Heatran it isn't slower than Genesect and unlike Volcarona it doesn't have to rely on a spinner since it only takes normal damage from Stealth Rock rather than way too much damage. In a realistic sense it is also better than Ninetales at it, becaue who uses Ninetales outside of a Sun Team? Scarf Infernape packs enough power I would think to get past it, and MixApe can just hit the Rock Polish variants hard enough and usually survive a hit (other than a +1 Life Orb Thunderbolt, most likely). I know a few other people decided to do this too.

So now what that Genesect is banned? Simply put, I'm pretty sure that we will not be seeing as many Infernapes, and it will probably begin dropping in usage like it should have started doing long ago. Rain was always dominant and Infernape sucked against it, but that will probably change once again. As a side note, however, Infernape does suprisingly OK against Sandstorm teams (HP Ice can actually do some decent damage to Lando and Garchomp, Hippowdon hates taking a Grass Knot, Scizor and the occasional Celebi gets wrecked by a Fire Blast, Terrakion and Tyranitar dislike Close, Combats, and those things and Stoutland don't enjoy Mach Punches), but since Sand started falling around when Genesect appeared in the metagame, the effect on its usage couldn't be seen.

I'm pretty sure someone has posted this already, but regardless...

Yeah, Rain is really bringing the Fire Ape down. Although I wasn't TOO much of a fan of Infernape before BW, the fact that he could run a pretty successful mixed set came in a lot of handy at times, and still does as long as Rain is out of the picture. I find it almost impossible to use him on a non weather team, because you absolutely HAVE to have Sand, Hail, or Sun in order to keep Rain from completely nerfing Infernape's Fire attacks. Sun teams are obviously the best way to use him, however Infernape can play a lot of nice roles on balanced teams as well, but without a way to keep Rain from pouring down the entire battle, he pretty much becomes only useful for his Fighting attacks, which are greatly out classed by Terrakion anyway.

Asek

Banned deucer.
These stats are soooooo off the hook this month.

| 31 | Jolteon | 58383 | 6.575% | 46771 | 6.525% |

wow, this is so unexpectd, he actually got about 7% usage

| 41 | Hydreigon | 49861 | 5.615% | 38772 | 5.409% |

Now with gene banned, he is sooooo going to about 15 or 10 i mean jolteon beat him and he is utter crap
uhh how is jolteon crap? I can assure you that it is one of THE best pokemon to have against rain teams. Specs Thunder obliterates every common rain mon besides ferrothorn and scarf keldeo , who are handled by a team mates ofc. Volt Switch lets it easily switch in and out and keep scouting and keeps the pressure up on the other team and restricted their switching as well. High natural speed makes it pretty much a mini revenge killer and a nuke rolled into one, and in the current meta jolteon is actually pretty decent at what it does. I'm not saying that hydreigon shouldn't be higher than him, but Jolteon is so far from utter crap that its not funny. The fact that stuff bad in the meta like infernape is higher than both of these is a joke, that we can agree on. While I'm here, infernape isn't a bad pokemon like lots of you make it out to be, its just that the rain driven metagame is very harsh towards it, and the other fighting types that have flooded the tier outclass its purely Physical and sweeper sets for the most part. In a weatherless stall driven metagame, it would probably shine once again.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
^These battles seemed pretty gimmick, and your opponents.. :x

Whimsi is pretty good with Encore to prevent set-up, and as Para spreader. But it's always easily beaten by a lot of things. He's just really frail.

Eh, frankly those two matches were pretty much won by switching Cloyster in correctly, there are tons of pokemon other than Whimsicott that would allow you to pull that off. Your first opponent apparently didn't think or run Icycle Spear which would've ruined your Subencore strategy and your second one was using Charizard :S

Yeah those were pretty bad opponents ha :P Your cloyster set ups were nice though. But whimisicott is just too predicatble and any moderatley strong stab move will usually one hit the poor pluffball.

Yeah, I have to admit that they were pretty bad. I didn't save the replays of my other battles. Well, I too have to agree with what you guys said too.

I don't think its a good idea to run a sub seed strat with u turn.

In fact I don't think whimsicott is good as a sub seeder considering how common u turn/voltswitch/magic bounce/grass types are collectively in OU, most teams will have at least 1 of the aforementioned sub seed threats.

Encore is a must, so good idea, and I prefer to use whimsicott with an offensive team rather then a defensive one as her u turns are more geared to providing offensive oppurtunity and an encore'd set up move is more useful to a sweeper/wall breaker of your own. She also has taunt and tailwind which are two other great moves I put on her to help out with ferrothorn/deoxys/toxic and suicide support respectively.

Just incase you guys missed it, I did post a match against a non-gimmick team earlier:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou5717836

basically I beat a sun team including volcarona without getting the chance to setup rocks! I have no weather as well :). Whimsicott is what made the difference between a loss and a win, as you can see in the replay. It's usually not to hard to predict when to u turn and when to encore (they didn't always stay in on encore) but there are always times when you absolutely must encore (or risk a sweep).

I'll provide more replays when I get the chance, whimsicott isn't the only poke I enjoy using :P and I'm currently studying for exams.

edit: I used the same team to get more replays, i had 2 b2b losses to hax (ironically both got 2 important crits on me), lost one because I was outplayed.. then I had a REALLY good "comeback against hax" one against a rain team where whimsicott basically won the game for me against a rain team with tornadus t (who I am incredibly weak to) but some error about dashes meant I couldn't upload it!

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou5823405

^^ that one shows how tailwind wins games. (note a 2.5% hax in my favour, but not really significant I hope :X, not sure if brick break + quick attack is enough to ko magnezone from lefties scizor)

Edit 2:

Just took another break for 1 game, again whimsicott basically holds up the offensive presence of my team..

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou5830300

all 3 demonstrate whimsicotts "annoyingness" in different ways, in this one u turn and the threat of making support pokemon useless really kept me going.

29 | Tornadus-Therian | 60712 | 6.837% | 47474 | 6.623%

I know this thing depends on rain but this poke is probably the single biggest threat in the meta (Aside from the banned gene).

Just incase you guys missed it, I did post a match against a non-gimmick team earlier:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou5717836

basically I beat a sun team including volcarona without getting the chance to setup rocks! I have no weather as well :). Whimsicott is what made the difference between a loss and a win, as you can see in the replay. It's usually not to hard to predict when to u turn and when to encore (they didn't always stay in on encore) but there are always times when you absolutely must encore (or risk a sweep).
In that replay I think that your opponent got a bit too greedy with the boosts, to be honest part of Whimsicott's appeal, as you mentioned, is the fact you will be forcing your opponent to play differently as long as Whimsi is in play.

Well, I'm impressed with how well Whimsicott has been doing for me so far. I am currently trying out a team that does really well. Currently at a 5-0 winning streak and Whimsicott did a lot for me during those 5 matches. These are two of the matches.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou5796316
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou5784504

Whimsicott's Prankster ability really does well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3EJjeWtjuM
lol. similar no? This was before the genesect ban.

Whimsicott certainly has a very good niche although its stats fail it, to the point where it is almost considered a gimmick in OU.

Yanmega
Moves
Nothing 29.348%

Ditto
Moves
Nothing 301.938%

Pikachu
Teammates
Venusaur 24.390%
Snorlax 21.951%
Lapras 19.512%
Blastoise 19.512%
Charizard 19.512%
random stuff... I can understand Ditto but lol Yanmega. Nice, what classic team with Pikachu in it.
What DM said "Ya all sicken me". I really couldn't find anything disturbing... so this is all i have ._.

Suspect OU stats rules! C'mon guis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)