VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lileep, Dusclops, Porygon2, Chansey, Murkrow, I think that's the good ones, take or leave Murkrow.
If whoever asked the question had to pick, the highlighted ones are the most useful. Dusclops is primarily used as a Trick Room lead. Porygon2 is best as a bulky TR user...otherwise, without TR, you have a bulky Pokemon with average SpA that could be replaced by something else. It has good bulk to allow it to change the weather....but you're better off with an auto-weather mon or a Prankster, at least in my opinion. He also has support options like Icy Wind and Twave and Toxic, but Cresselia does all of that significantly better.
I can't give an opinion on Lileep, know nothing about it, but I would assume that Chansey is just as useful as Blissey in doubles.....not very much. It's not awful, but stallish Pokemon aren't necessarily as good in this fast-paced metagame where players prefer support mons with moves that work best in doubles (Helping Hand, Skill Swap, Icy Wind, ect.). I mean, I've almost never seen Blissey/Chansey on a VGC team, so I wouldn't think that they were spectacular.
Murkrow is pretty situational, and it's not terrilby easy to use. It does not last as long as you'd think, and it needs teammates that can help take out what troubles it.

If you are using an eviolite Pokemon just for the sake of doing so, you should probably stop and pick something else. When teambuilding, you need to think about what would be effective for helping your team achieve its goal rather than what would have surprise value.

I can't give an opinion on Lileep, know nothing about it, but I would assume that Chansey is just as useful as Blissey in doubles.....not very much. It's not awful, but stallish Pokemon aren't necessarily as good in this fast-paced metagame where players prefer support mons with moves that work best in doubles (Helping Hand, Skill Swap, Icy Wind, ect.). I mean, I've almost never seen Blissey/Chansey on a VGC team, so I wouldn't think that they were spectacular.
Wolfe used Lileep, he didn't capture the regional title though, but it was creative. I can't remember the details. Chansey was just an option, I wouldn't use it, but it's... useable.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Murkrow is pretty situational, and it's not terrilby easy to use. It does not last as long as you'd think, and it needs teammates that can help take out what troubles it.
I've tested Murkrow extensively, and have to agree with this for the most part. If you want to use it, you need to take advantage of its unique niche: being basically the only viable user of Quash (and Prankster Mirror Move, to a lesser extent, which is really situational but lets you do some useful things like reversing Trick Room). While its bulk doesn't compare to the other viable Eviolite users, it's not terrible either - 252/252 Calm will always survive Latios's Dragon Gem Draco Meteor, for instance.

As for the others: Porygon2 is sort of a jack of all trades, capable of doing a lot of things but not excelling at any of them. Dusclops is an excellent supporter, plays very similar to Cresselia. Chansey can't really do anything in doubles outside of Guard Split or Minimize shenanigans, and I haven't heard anything about Lileep so I'm not sure what's up with that.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Wolfe used Lileep to abuse Storm Drain, but it wasn't necessarily a "Storm Drain" team per se.

There are a couple of battle videos floating around on youtube of him using it if you search for vgc 13 pennsylvania wolfe.

I noticed a lack of evolite magneton... It's not terrible, but it is kinda predictable (amazingly shallow movepool). But the bulk and steel-typing is nice.

Edit: a few more details: it has 50/95/70 defenses and a solid 120 in sp. attack and 70 speed. I can think of 8 moves it gets that are usable however (thunder, discharge, thunder wave, flash cannon, hidden power, signal beam, tri attack, and protect.) which makes it okay for TR or Rain or both.

Now that the 2013 rules have been updated is there a preliminary threats list compiled?

I would assume everything from 2012 ruleset plus additions of therian form genies

Now that the 2013 rules have been updated is there a preliminary threats list compiled?

I would assume everything from 2012 ruleset plus additions of therian form genies
Only Thundurus-T and Landorus-T need comply, Tornadus-T isn't that good in VGC. Also watch out for older threats such as Hydreigon, Scrafty, and Conkeldurr getting a boost in usage due to new moves / abilities.

I figured that since Vancouver Regionals are not until the Spring that I would use the coming WiFi tournaments as skills practice. The Winter Battle will be truly an experience since RNG Abuse on my B2 seems to be possible due to Timer0 trolling failing, time and time again (not to mention breeding not working with B2/W2.)

It will be announced sometime soon, once the new metagame is fully analyzed by the tutors.
I would be interested!

Which gem would be better for a Scizor set of Bullet Punch/Bug Bite/Acrobatics/Protect: Steel Gem or Flying Gem?
I'm currently running Flying Gem, but I was wondering if steel would be more efficient. After about nearly 200 battles with Flying Gem equipped...it's been pretty well. I mean, I can take out Fighting-types that foolishly stay in, and it's been great against Trick Room leads that have Hariyama, Scrafty, or Amoonguss. But lately I've considered maybe it would be better to make his main STAB more powerful. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I was thinking about this because Acrobatics has been mostly situational...it doesn't nearly get used as much as his STABs do
Would still like to know.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Would still like to know.
When I used Acrobatics Scizor, I found that I was using it almost all the time, especially since it would usually KO Hitmontop even at -1 (it can't OHKO Scrafty, unfortunately, but it still hits it pretty hard). And I can't remember many times where a Steel Gem would have made much difference. I'd definitely go with the Flying Gem.

When I used Acrobatics Scizor, I found that I was using it almost all the time, especially since it would usually KO Hitmontop even at -1 (it can't OHKO Scrafty, unfortunately, but it still hits it pretty hard). And I can't remember many times where a Steel Gem would have made much difference. I'd definitely go with the Flying Gem.
Thanks!

Is the VGC tournament played over wifi or in person? How do you register for it if the former?

I've never done this before, but I want the custap berry offered to all participants.

Is the VGC tournament played over wifi or in person? How do you register for it if the former?

I've never done this before, but I want the custap berry offered to all participants.
The official VGC is played in person. You have to travel to regionals on your own. Nationals and Worlds you can earn a trip if you place high in regionals, usually top 4. There are VGC tournaments which are played over wi-fi. They give you championship points, when having collected enough of them, let's you get into exclusive events like worlds. The official VGC is in person though. The Cutsap berry is for wi-fi, and if you want one, I think I have one in stock that I can give you to.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
The actual VGC is played in person.

The tournament you are thinking of, the one that awards a Custap Berry, is played on Wi-Fi, and you register for it through your Global Link account.

I assume you're talking about the Winter VGC Cup. It is played over WiFi, although most VGC tourneys are in person.

I am going to attend VGCS 2012 Winter Battle, but I have only 6 badges in White2. If I trade my Pokémon on lv. 100 to White2, will they obey me in the WiFi battle? I don't know if the disobedience rule applies also in PvP. If it does, how is auto-level adjustment treated? (Pokémon is on lv. 100, but the level is lowered to 50 during the battle. Will it obey me if I have 6 badges and Pokémon on level up to 70 are supposed to obey?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)