Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhys DeAnno

Slacking Off
Sand teams often have nonresistant pokemon that get caught in the crossfire, it's fine. It's probably better to have SS on the Tyranitar just so it can cancel out the less neutral Sun and Rain that other teams might bring.

EDIT: And yeah, Ttars SpD is nothing special without sand, makes him a lot worse.

Should you run Timid or Modest on a special attacking Samurott when used in an OU environment? In the NU analysis it recommends Timid, I was wondering if that speed makes a difference at all in OU. Don't worry, it's not for laddering!

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Should you run Timid or Modest on a special attacking Samurott when used in an OU environment? In the NU analysis it recommends Timid, I was wondering if that speed makes a difference at all in OU. Don't worry, it's not for laddering!
No clue why you're using Samurott, but that's beside the point. You'll want Modest because Samurott needs all the power it can get in OU.

No clue why you're using Samurott, but that's beside the point. You'll want Modest because Samurott needs all the power it can get in OU.
A small tournament a friend of mine is organising with a bunch of arbitrary rules to make it all more 'fun' - anyway, thank you for your help.

You can try something like Calm 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Sp. That's enough speed to outrun Tyranitar. You also can run 96 on speed if you want to cross over Mamoswine but it misses the defensive part a bit.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
What EV spread and nature should be run on a Specially Defensive Jirachi running Thunder as opposed to Body Slam?

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Wish
- Thunder
- Iron Head
- U-turn / Protect

That is the spread I use with Thunder Specially Defensive Jirachi. A Sassy nature lowers Speed, meaning that neither your Defenses/Attacks are lowered/weakened. The EVs are fairly simple and maximize Jirachi's Special bulk.

does Hailstorm boost ice moves and give ice type pokemon an 1.5 defense boost? (heard rumors about it)

edit: nvm i misread it

I thought HP Ice was 30 Def with an Even Attack stat? like 30/30 or 30/2?

Just checked my HP checker. Your spread works.
Taken from Smogon's Breeding Guide Part IV:
The easiest way to discover the type of your Hidden Power is to start from zero, and:

Add 32 if the Special Defense IV is odd.
Add 16 if the Special Attack IV is odd.
Add 8 if the Speed IV is odd.
Add 4 if the Defense IV is odd.
Add 2 if the Attack IV is odd.
Add 1 if the HP IV is odd.

Depending on the resulting number, the type of your Hidden Power can be found using the following chart:
[...]
55 and 58 - Ice
[...]
All IV numbers are odd except for speed, which gives us 32+16+4+2+1 = 55

The Base Power of your Hidden Power can be found as follows.

Start from zero. Then, for each IV, if the IV divided by two is an odd number (rounded down), i.e. the IV is 31 or 30 (15), 27 or 26 (13), 23 or 22 (11), 19 or 18 (9), 15 or 14 (7), 11 or 10 (5), 7 or 6 (3), or 3 or 2 (1), then:

Add 32 if the IV is the Special Defense IV.
Add 16 if the IV is the Special Attack IV.
Add 8 if the IV is the Speed IV.
Add 4 if the IV is the Defense IV.
Add 2 if the IV is the Attack IV.
Add 1 if the IV is the HP IV.
After doing this, multiply this number by 40, then divide the answer by 63, and round down. Finally, add 30 to this answer, and you have your Hidden Power Base Power.
All of our numbers are odd after division by 2 (31/2 = 15; 2/2 = 1)

32+16+8+4+2+1 = 63
63*40/63 is obviously, 40
40 + 30 = 70 base power

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Considering there are 64 different odd/even permutations, and only 16 types not counting Normal, most types have more than one spread. There are four different spreads that give HP Ice:

odd/odd/odd/odd/odd/even
odd/even/even/odd/odd/odd
even/odd/even/odd/odd/odd
even/even/even/odd/odd/odd

Does Sharpedo outspeed Non Scarf Latios after +2 from Speed Boost? Also how do you calculate his speed stat after a Speed Boost?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Current Speed = Speed*(1+0.5*n)
where n is the number of boosts

For example, Sharpedo's Speed (252 EVs, neutral nature) at +2 would be:
289*(1+0.5*2) = 289*(1+1) = 289*2 = 578

Max Speed Latios without a Scarf is 350, so Sharpedo would outspeed it.

Thanks that help, but how do I calculate Pokemon with Choice Scarf? Also would a Adamant Nature Sharpedo out speed Latios?

Hell, it even outspeeds Scarf Latios too (525)

EDIT:
Thanks that help, but how do I calculate Pokemon with Choice Scarf? Also would a Adamant Nature Sharpedo out speed Latios?
Choice Scarf functions as a final *1.5 modifier. Since scarfed 'mons usually don't rack up speed boosts, it's normally the same as having a +1 in speed.

However, if a +1 speed 'mon gets a choice scarf (via trick or scarfed speed boost (which is dumb don't do it) the result is X * 1,5(+1 boost) * 1,5(scarf)

For a mon with 100 speed, and a +2 boost, for example - it would be at 200 speed due to the boosts. Choice Scarf multiplies that result by 1,5 granting the mon 300 speed. If said mon was at +1 instead, it would be 150*1,5 = 225

Scarf Latios, the mon you asked for, goes from 350 to 525.

Adamant Sharpedo would have 289 speed at +0, having 578 speed at +2 which is still more than Scarf Latios.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Choice Scarf is the same as a +1 boost. You would multiply the Pokémon's Speed by 1.5.

My calculation was for an Adamant Sharpedo. "Neutral nature" means any nature that does not effect (raise or lower) Speed.

252+ Latios has 350 speed, with a scarf he has 350*1.5=525
252+ Sharpedo has 317 speed, after a +2 he has 634
252 Sharpedo has 289 speed, after a +2 he has 578
So an Adamant Sharpedo at +2 outspeed a scarf Timid Latios

What is a good electric resist/ immunity in an offensive rain team? And is having two choiced water types a good idea? (specs toad and scarf keldeo)

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
What is a good electric resist/ immunity in an offensive rain team? And is having two choiced water types a good idea? (specs toad and scarf keldeo)
Well the first things coming into my mind are Thundurus-T and Ferrothorn, but it higly depends on the rest of the team.
Having two choiced pokemons like this doesn't matter the slightest since most of the Rain offences carry this combination.

If it supposed to be a Water mon, an electric resistance will be impossible. There are two relatively viable options with electric immunity, Gastrodon and Swampert. Neither of them are fast, Swampert is additionally vulnerable to Scald, but they do some good damage choiced, especially Gastrodon once its Storm Drain ability activates.
Other options are Dragons without a Flying type like for example the Lati@s, who has both Surf and Thunder. Zapdos is not immune to electrics until it gets Lightningrod, but even then it can put STAB Thunder into good use. Thundurus-T and Jolteon have Volt Absorb, which is not as good as Lightningrod, but nonetheless grants immunity to electrics.
Last but not least there is Sheer Force Landorus, who is a fair stand-alone mon with little need for support.

hello people. just wondering if any of you could suggest team mates for regenerator tangrowth and slowking that might help them function in ou.

So I'm interested in the concept of dual screens and a team that really benefits from it. What are some pokemon that really really aprreciate a dual screen support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)