Ubers Survivor

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's fine, I've been busy with irl stuff. Send me a PM if you need anything, although I may not be able to respond immediately.

...ah. My post was the last on page 2, I see. I suppose I should mention it on this page so it gets noticed. In any case...

I'm hijacking this thread until Dracoyoshi reclaims it. Voting starts now, and will end on Friday, December 14th, at six P.M. EST. Votes must be in bold or they will not count. Reasoning is not required, but would be nice.

Will do, Yoshi. If you ever feel like claiming this thread back, just come by and say so. :P

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Excadrill
Just way too weather dependent to be able to pull of a 6-1 comeback... sigh... much utility in Rapid Spin though... :(

I Choose Ho-Oh. I've already explained why he should be eliminated, but again:

1)he's frail. Don't get me wrong, a sun-boosted Sacred Fire can destroy many Pokemon, but the massive damage he takes from Stealth Rock and the recoil of Brave Bird puts him out of commission in a short timespan. Of course, roost and regenerator can extend his longevity, but his defenses are still only okay.
2) It's not terrible hard to check him. Many Pokemon in Ubers pack an electric move such as Thunder or Thunderbolt. This does super effective damage and can really put the nail in Ho-Oh's coffin. Meanwhile you have water types such as Palkia (Kyogre needs no explanation) packing moves like surf or worse. Ho-Oh can't take these hits and will end up fainting. Also, god forbid the bird gets hit with a rock type move (stone edge anyone?). Rock moves shoot Ho-Oh down like a clay pigeon.

Ho-Oh is a good pokemon, but he can't take much damage and is unlikely to pull of a 6-pokemon sweep.

Ho-oh. Eventually Brave Bird recoil will destroy him, which means that it becomes too hard to sweep 6 pokes. It's rather slow and SR weak as hell too.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Excadrill is my pick for least likely to sweep. At least Ho-Oh can take a super effective hit and raise its speed with Flame Charge and Tailwind. Exca ain't pullin' off no sweep in rain, sun, hail, or...Rayquaza. All Exca can do to raise is awful Base 88 Speed is sub down to a Salac Berry. Even then, it's outsped by all common scarfers (and it sorely misses the power of a Life Orb). It can sweep in ideal conditions (in sand and with at least +2 Attack), but they are difficult to maintain nowadays.

Edit: The move Sandstorm is irrelevant unless the opponent plays poorly; it is still demolished by the weather trio. Ho-Oh stands a slight chance to beat Groudon with some hax.

Excadrill
I've already explained why this has to go, its just plain weather dependant.
Ho-oh should also leave, but not to the extent of Excadrill. It looks like one or the other is saying adios soon.

Ho-Oh is simply too self-damaging. It's too slow to pull off a sweep by itself, the Life Orb and/or recoil damage adds up, that SR weakness is annoying, and it has lackluster PP.

The voting is now over! Ho-oh lost to Excadrill by having 5 votes versus Exca's 4. Ho-oh has been voted off, and now is unable to be voted for. As for the next challenge, it will be something Ho-oh would easily win. But first, the remaining contestants will be listed.

The Seven Contestants:

MEWTWO
First Introduced: Pokemon Red and Green
Typing: Psychic
Fun Fact: Only Pokemon to be Uber for all five generations.

DIALGA
First Introduced: Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
Typing: Dragon/Steel
Fun Fact: Has the highest Special Attack of all Steel-types.

ZEKROM
First Introduced: Pokemon Black and White
Typing: Dragon/Electric
Fun Fact: Cannot learn any Fire-type attacks, which really blows.

MANAPHY
First Introduced: Pokemon Ranger (as an egg)
Typing: Water
Fun Fact: Can breed with Ditto to produce an NU Pokemon, Phione.

EXCADRILL
First Introduced: Pokemon Black and White
Typing: Ground/Steel
Fun Fact: Only non-legendary contestant!

GROUDON
First Introduced: Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire
Typing: Ground
Fun Fact: Heaviest Pokemon to date.

GIRATINA-O
First Introduced: Pokemon Platinum
Typing: Dragon/Ghost
Fun Fact: Only Uber to have Levitate in Gen V.

SCENARIO TWO:
After a long battle, you finally reduced your opponent to just two Pokemon: Skarmory and Blissey. Your weather inducer has just fallen, meaning the weather is in your favour. However, you still have two Pokemon left: Forretress and (Insert contestant here)! Forre only has PP left for Rapid Spin/Stealth Rock/Spikes and has Leftovers. Which of the remaining contestants is most likely to win, despite Skarmory being able to phaze you out or Blissey hitting you with Toxic?

Discussion on the contestant most likely to stop the two will take place now. Votes for which contestant gets immunity will start on Sunday, December 16th, at 6 P.M., EST.

literally all of the remaining mons will beat skarmbliss

mewtwo wins with stallbreaker or even just psystrike / fire blast
dialga wins with bu or mixed
zekrom wins with every set basically
manaphy wins with rain with tg or cm
sd excadrill wins especially with rain up
groudon wins with overheat / fire punch / sd / restalk
giratina wins with restalk

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, really interesting question... but to be honest it seems like a couple of these can do this rather easily so finding the "best" is kinda tough.

Like chuckeroo said, Zekrom can simply click on Bolt Strike for the win.
Mewtwo can use some stall-breaker set to destroy the combo.
Manaphy can use a simple Hydration/Rest/Tail Glow/Surf set to destroy both Blissey/Skarmory

Hell I can't see how anyone can lose, Excadrill (the one I think (at a glance) who is least likely to best the combo (because of Skarm)) can win this with some PP stalling shenanigans.

literally all of the remaining mons will beat skarmbliss

mewtwo wins with stallbreaker or even just psystrike / fire blast
dialga wins with bu or mixed
zekrom wins with every set basically
manaphy wins with rain with tg or cm
sd excadrill wins especially with rain up
groudon wins with overheat / fire punch / sd / restalk
giratina wins with restalk
I've bolded all the ones I see issues with.

ResTalk is rather unreliable, due to not being able to choose your moves. On top of that, Skarm can just use Whirlwind on you during the second turn to reset your sleep counter then Roost off damage. Same goes for trying to set up, since it's unlikely that they'll allow you to get too many boosts. However, Tail Glow is fast at getting boosts, which is why I didn't bold it. As for Overheat, does anyone actually run that on Groudon? I've seen it a few times, but only against idiots who run Solarbeam and Eruption on it, as well as use Charizard.

However, I do see what you mean about it being too easy a challenge, now that I look at it again. My apologies. I'll try to make it harder without changing the premise. ^^;

I've seen it a few times, but only against idiots who run Solarbeam and Eruption on it, as well as use Charizard.
Don't bash Charizard, it's the hardest hitter in the game. In fact I use it on a team that wins about 80% of my matches.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Charizard Overheat vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey in sun: 348-411 (54.2 - 64.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey in rain: 313-369 (48.75 - 57.47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Ugh... going for a pre-emptive strike here-let's not corrupt every thread with talk of Charizard, OK? Charizard, though not 100% viable in the Ubers metagame, is pretty damn cool. There. Done.

Onto the task at hand! The challenge is pretty easy. Basically anyone with Taunt is guaranteed a win, as Skarmory and Bliss aren't going to be outdamaging any of the contenders, and are basically setup fodder if they are Taunted. Therefore, Mewtwo would most likely be my first choice, as Psystrike/Aura Sphere/Ice Beam/Taunt = :). Next up, I like Excadrill's immunity to status. After letting Forretress dies while spamming entry hazards, Excadrill is immune to Thunder Wave, Toxic, and being Phazed out, only fearing Flamethrower/Seismic Toss on Blissey (which it can easily beat) and... uh... Brave Bird??? on Skarmory. Excadrill sets up to +6 Atk and wins the match. Deserving a special mention is Sub + Hone Claws Zekrom or as mentioned by others, any Zekrom in general. If setting up, let the Forretress die to prevent Phazing, and if choiced, spam Bolt Strike and switch if misses lead to depletion of PP.

tehy

Banned deucer.
As for groudon, though-chansey can toxic him, then protect. Then go to skarmory and switch back. If chansey survives the punch (Not really sure if she can, but i believe so), then she can protect again. Then protect again, and if that fails, hope skarmory can take a fire punch.

If you really want to make it harder, why not make a third pokemon, that being any form of arceus (The defensive sets). Sweeping through skarmbliss AND such a versatile pokemon? That would be tough. Alternately, just make it arceus-normal, which is hopefully still versatile enough to provide extra challenge.

Edit: Or the excadrill team could sac forretress. Really, this whole challenge revolves around a core that mostly deals damage via hazards and phasing+wearing you down being faced with last-pokemon situations or a spinner with no spinblocker available. I get that it was on purpose, but why not just throw in a giratina into the mix? Also make it a lot tougher.

I've bolded all the ones I see issues with.

ResTalk is rather unreliable, due to not being able to choose your moves. On top of that, Skarm can just use Whirlwind on you during the second turn to reset your sleep counter then Roost off damage. Same goes for trying to set up, since it's unlikely that they'll allow you to get too many boosts. However, Tail Glow is fast at getting boosts, which is why I didn't bold it. As for Overheat, does anyone actually run that on Groudon? I've seen it a few times, but only against idiots who run Solarbeam and Eruption on it, as well as use Charizard.

However, I do see what you mean about it being too easy a challenge, now that I look at it again. My apologies. I'll try to make it harder without changing the premise. ^^;
when i said bu dialga i meant bu dtail, which admittedly isn't that common. however, it wins anyway if you sac forretress because it isn't getting touched by skarm or blissey.

cm manaphy has to do the same thing (it 2hkoes skarm anyway, so skarm can't safely phaze)

sd exca can sac (or if you dont want to do that, eventually sd rock slide will flinch soooo)

overheat groudon (actually it's fire blast, nvm) works against other groudon, skarm, and gliscor.

sd and restalk obviously win the stall war.

giratina with restalk (as in restalk + roar + dtail) wins also since hazards + phazing beats skarm bliss.

a cool challenge would be: what pokemon has th ebest chance at beating skarmory or blissey if they can run ANY moveset (such as psych up OR COUNTER on blissey, or sd on skarm)

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Maybe the way to break this huge tie is to assume that you have the worst possible luck, like with Overheat, Dragon Tail, and Bolt Strike always missing, and perhaps the stupidest Skarmory and Blissey sets that can outpredict you 100% of the time. Some things may have a much harder time winning with a fully physically invested Snatch Blissey with Charm, Calm Mind, Thunder, or some crap. I think the most likely to walk out of there alive is Dialga with something like Thunderbolt, Substitute, Bulk Up, and Brick Break. It's able to outspeed both of them, stall out Blissey's Snatches with Substitute and Bulk Up, and nail Blissey and Skarmory with a Brick Break or Thunderbolt, respectively. Skarmory can't really do anything but Taunt it, and Blissey can't poison it or break its subs with Seismic Toss, Ice Beam, or whatever it has.

Tough decision, but Dialga is sitting the prettiest, I think.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
a cool challenge would be: what pokemon has th ebest chance at beating skarmory or blissey if they can run ANY moveset (such as psych up OR COUNTER on blissey, or sd on skarm)
Just saying, you are supposed to consider every moveset they can run.

All 7 contenstants can win, if not by doing severe damage then by winning the PP war. I'll have to think some more regarding my vote.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Actually, the above description basically implies heavily that blissey's running toxic, and they don't usually run t-wave with toxic, for example, so if you're right that's a little misleading and should probably just be said straight out.
Furai edit: The description also said "being able". That means, you should consider that option, but not limited to. It's extremely down to the words which makes a lot of confusion, but you are meant to consider every set the two can run.

Me edit: Well actually, you're not "able" to do something unless you actually have the move. And other than your message, that's never actually been said anywhere, definitely not of the defensive pokemon, since the last challenge never really named specific enemies. So just pointing out that's a little bit confusing. Actually, a lot confusing. I can see two successive posters basically saying the challenge needs to be altered to allow that in.
For extra fun, i'm pretty sure the phrase "being able" doesn't apply to the second part. So it reads "despite blissey hitting you with toxic".
Also, that rules out excadrill, via flamethrower/focus sash counter blissey with 252 SpA/252 Def. If forretress has any prior damage, it can't even break the sash with rapid spin before dying. (Does it have any prior damage?)

How crazy are the survivor sets allowed to be? 404 subCM mewtwo with thunder/psyshock would probably GG everything once forry gets suicide SR down.

Finally: Minimize Blissey. After all, it IS being tested. So the pokemon with the "greatest" chance to win needs to be able to stomp blissey the fastest.

I would say Mewtwo would have a nice shot at winning, as Psystrike is a 2HKO on Blissey and Fire Blast is an OHKO on Skarmory, and Blissey won't get a Softboiled in as long as Mewtwo is staring her down. And even if Blissey lands a Toxic, she will be at too low health to be able to Softboiled. Skarmory will be OHKOed barring Sturdy, and if SR are up then Skarmory is completely DEAD.

But then again, Zekrom can just Bolt Strike them both, and it OHKOes. So sorry Mewtwo, you are second place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)