Counter that Pokemon - Mk III [Team 2 won!]

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I"m not going to post a set this time since it's late and my ideas have already been posted.

Right now, I'm in huge favor of Latios / Latias. They can effectively counter Breloom, a pokemon that can easily be picked to give us major headaches. They also handle Keldeo / Heatran well, resisting their attacks and then hitting hard. There really isn't any problems with Scizor, since Zor is walled by Rotom-W, nor should there be any problems with Ttar, for the same reason. If need be, we can choose a fighting type later (in fact, we should, to counter any extra steels) to counter Blissey / Chansey / Special walls.

fight rock bug dragon ghost dark psychic is the list of what attacks we're currently weak to. i'd rather hurry up and get a steel in here now before it comes down to fighting multiple rock / dragon attacks to keep up offensive presence. the only thing that has me worried is fighting at this point so i was thinking lets go with

im going with my 3rd favorite mon

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 232 Spd / 252 Atk / 20 HP
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Explosion

He outspeeds Keldeo and Heatran and OHKO both if need be, but more importantly is his fast explosion and resists. We can also consider Trick to trip up the mon they bring to stop Kyurem. Heatran is still a threat but Rotom-W just stops him. Metagross's high defense will help overall IMO.

I just want to see a metagross not gonna lie

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aww,got ninja'd again.Anyway,I'd like to say Timid nature and max speed should be used here so Team 1 cannot take advantage of this by stamrolling half the team by something like CB Moxie Mence or some other shit.The extra bulk iand Power sn't quite important while the extra speed might come in between a win or a loss.I'd also like to suggest Psychic>Focus Blast if we go with Timid as Psychic lets you OHKO Keldeo when using Timid and OHKOs Heracross a big threat which Melee mewtwo mentioned and Genger. The only thing Focus miss helps with is Skarmory,and Balloon tran and lets you OHKO most Ferrothorn.None of them are problems atm except Ferro who is 2HKOed by Earth Power when not using Max spdef(although it'll need some prior damage if it uses Leech seed).Considering Focus Miss's low accuracy,it's best to go for the 2HKO unless in a tough situation where an OHKO is necessary.
Hey symph, thanks for your input, these are some good suggestions. I, as well as alot of people I know (dragonuser, Lavos Spawn, etc), much prefer Modest Landorus, the extra power allows us to get alot of OHKOs / 2HKOs that we'd usually miss out on and extra bulk is always nice. But the speed just makes no difference whatsoever after a boost. I don't see how being outsped by Salamence makes much of a difference, as Landorus is not our revenge killer, if we want to prevent Salamence sweeping us then we can just add the inevitable revenge killer later on, rather thatn relying on our sweeper to revenge kill things instead. Psychic is a good suggestion, we miss out on Bronzong, Skarmory, Balloon Steels (all these can be trapped by the likes of Magnezone) and we do less damage to the likes of Rotom-W (who is terrible against Kyurem-B) in exhange for Gengar, Virizion, Heracross and more damage on the likes of Fighting types in general. I'm still a bit undecided so I'll let a few people say what they think and make the decision based on that. Again, thanks for the suggestions symph :)

^ Pretty much have my full support behind lando-t, I think he'd be a great sweeper for team 1 to rally around. I use this guy pretty religously and i agrree modest is pretty much needed as with timid alot of pokemon can barely hang on and ohk0 him back. I'm more leaning towards focus blast as gengar isnt a huge threat too our other two team members but im not positive which move to pick...

The Lati twins and Landorus seem like pretty good choices for team 1 for now. However, Latias is considerably weaker than Latios, so I would think that Latios is the better pick. Still, both can nab an OHKO on Keldeo and deal with Heatran quite nicely.

Landorus seems like one of the better choices, though, not being weak to U-turn and having good coverage along with Sheer Foce and LO

Bryce

Lun
@The gr8 mighty doom:Don't get me wrong.I prefer the extra power of Modest Landorus as well.I'm just saying that team 1 can exploit the lack of max speed investment.Salamence was just an example,not a direct threat.If you feel that the lack of max speed can't be taken advantage of that much,then I'm fine with the current spread.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
If we go with Latios:

8 Hp / 252 SAtk / 244 Spe is the most efficent spread since the opposition will just use Lati and no HP Fire to ensure they win the speed war anyway.

If we go with Landorus:

NO FUCKING TIMID! Modest is super important.

The EV spread. Adamant Gliscor (commonly seen on PO) hits 289. Crank up the speed to 212 so we outpace it (it gives you 1 extra point over 290, but keeping the HP at an odd number and at 9 gives you a better LO number). The other benefits are that 286 is a common number good players try to hit (with things like Jirachi or Toxicroak, etc.) and we get the jump on them now.

Final Spread for Lando-I:

Landorus @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
Nature: Modest
EVs: 44 Hp / 252 SAtk / 212 Spe
IV: 30 Hp | 30 Def
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I guess it's 12HP and not 8 in your Latias spread.

Landorus still doesn't kill Keldeo, I don't get it, maybe we should adapt a little to the situation.
I know it's probably the strongest special sweeper in here now, but it's not a reason to rush it when it is not even able to kill both of the 2 already picked pokemons.
We can't even really go for Psychic because the lack of coverage is big.
I also don't understand the explanation on the speed, I mean, we all see how many EVs you invest etc, it's not gonna be hard to deal with it, so maybe focus on maximum tiers, instead of trying to speed creep Jirachi and cie.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
If we go with Latios:

8 Hp / 252 SAtk / 244 Spe is the most efficent spread since the opposition will just use Lati and no HP Fire to ensure they win the speed war anyway.

If we go with Landorus:

NO FUCKING TIMID! Modest is super important.

The EV spread. Adamant Gliscor (commonly seen on PO) hits 289. Crank up the speed to 212 so we outpace it (it gives you 1 extra point over 290, but keeping the HP at an odd number and at 9 gives you a better LO number). The other benefits are that 286 is a common number good players try to hit (with things like Jirachi or Toxicroak, etc.) and we get the jump on them now.

Final Spread for Lando-I:

Landorus @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
Nature: Modest
EVs: 44 Hp / 252 SAtk / 212 Spe
IV: 30 Hp | 30 Def
- Rock Polish
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
Is this a submission, a suggestion, ... what? If it's the former, please include a sprite and say that is a submission. Maybe it's me getting confused easily...but I can't tell if you're proposing a new spread for those lando-I submitters or just submitting a new entry.

Thank you.

This phase will probably end in a couple of hours, so if you've a set you'd like to submit, either hurry up or drop me a VM.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Sorry. It's a suggestion to The Great Might Doom, whom has posted the Lando-I set. If he wishes to not take my advice that is fine but if you need clarification there it is. I'm not submitting a nomination, just suggesting.

@kd24: In general, having a steel type in this project isn't as important as it is in a normal team as we aren't trying to counter the whole metagame, just the opposing team. We can arguably not use a Steel at all if we have hard counters for each of the six members of the opposing team. I'm also not a big fan of having a Choice Scarf mon for this slot or one picked for it's defensive advantages as this is one of our few free picks. We have already countered Team 2's picks and now have the opportunity to choose whatever offensive mon we want to put massive pressure on their future picks. A Choice Scarf mon kinda ruins this opportunity. On top of this, Metagross is a specialized Revenge Killer. It's not something like Keldeo that can revenge kill just about any and every threat you would want it to. It's a niche mon and none of the opponent's picks ask for that niche (on the contrary, they have a Fire and Fight mons as their picks). Metagross is a pretty lackluster Pokemon in this generation and has poor coverage. Explosion isn't a very attractive attack as it means scrapping one of the six mons we so desperately need to try and counter the opposing six as much as we can. As cool as Metagross is, he just isn't bringing anything we really have the need for ATM (who knows what will happen later) and will just waste the amazing opportunity we have.

@TGMD: Definitely go Psychic on Lando. Ballon steels are poor checks as they can't risk switching in and losing their Ballon. Skarm is a passive pick that is already countered by Rotom-W who can easily deal with Bronzong as well. At the same time, preventing Heracross from having an easy switch in is really important. We don't want to give Team 2 an excuse to use Gengar as well since it can already check Cube with SubDisable. Although Virizion will still be able to tank a Psychic, it at least won't permanently prevent a sweep as one well predicted switch-in will weaken it enough to get the OHKO when Lando finally decides to sweep. The perfect accuracy is also a good thing to have as the battle will undoubtedly be close since both teams will trying to counter each other as best as they can. (so it's better to not give any opportunity for Hax to become the deciding factor.

@Shurtugal: Yes it is true that an opposing Lati@s with perfect IVs will outspeed our Latios no matter what, but by running max speed we can at least make sure that the same won't be true if Team 2 ever find themselves using HP Fire Lati@s. The 8 EVs in HP is almost never going to make a difference whereas speeding tying with other HP Fire Lati@s can. I'd much rather have Team 2 think twice before using a 30 speed IV than 2 extra HP points. Thanks for all the cool suggestions, though. (The EQ Lat@s one may come in handy for Team 2's counter pick if Lando-I is chosen this round)

TGMD

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Decided to go with Psychic over Focus Blast based off Melee Mewtwo and White Symphoni's posts.

I guess it's 12HP and not 8 in your Latias spread.

Landorus still doesn't kill Keldeo, I don't get it, maybe we should adapt a little to the situation.
I know it's probably the strongest special sweeper in here now, but it's not a reason to rush it when it is not even able to kill both of the 2 already picked pokemons.
We can't even really go for Psychic because the lack of coverage is big.
I also don't understand the explanation on the speed, I mean, we all see how many EVs you invest etc, it's not gonna be hard to deal with it, so maybe focus on maximum tiers, instead of trying to speed creep Jirachi and cie.
Landorus' Earth Power almost OHKOs Keldeo, this team is obviously going to utilize hazards because of Kyurem-B, so getting the residual damage of needed to bring Keldeo into KO range f via hazards / Dragon Tails isn't going to be very difficult. Either way, we're running Psychic now, and as it was pointed out in my post, Psychic really doesn't cause us to lose that much coverage. I agree with you on speed creeping, Gliscor can just run Jolly if it wants to outspeed Landorus, I'd prefer to just outspeed the + nature base 80s before boost and + nature base 80s at double speed after the boost.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
@TGMD

I'm a bit confused. Do you plan on adding the small amount of investment for 291 (speed creeps adamant scor and hits LO #) or do you plan to just hit 286 (like before)? From what it looks like you just dumped the rest into HP anyway and the loss of a few points in health is worth the hitting of adamant Scor (which could Acrobat revenge you) and smacking them for HP Ice is worth the small loss of bulk imo.

I don't agree with hitting maximum tiers when you don't have to. However, you mentioned Jolly Gliscor -- and that thing is quite weak. I'd rather force Team 2 to carry such a weak advisory then to not include the speed and have them get the option of adamant. In general terms, Adamant Scor is more common than Jolly Scor. You still outspeed base 80s, but hitting that LO # and having insurance is worth the loss of (I think 20) evs in HP imo.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Thanks Shurtugal for the explanation!

Ok, I cut short of few hours this phase (since I would not be able to post later), hope it's not a problem for anyone. We're now going to vote for the third pokemon of Team 1.

This is a single bold voting; you can vote for only one entry, picked from the following list:

When voting, you should post only the name of the user that proposed your favourite set, bolded (you can add whatever commentary you like, not bolded, under your vote). A properly formatted vote looks like this:

DarkBlazeR

My only change to the set would to put Scald over Surf, but otherwise Kyurem B would like a spinblocker and Fire/Fighting/Steel resists.
Self voting is allowed. You'll have at least 24 hours to vote, but I'll keep this opened for as long as is necessary to get a significative amount of voters. Christmas is coming, so phases' durations could be a bit inflated in this period, to make sure everyone has a chance to contribute.

Go!

TGMD

The Great Mighty Doom

@TGMD

I'm a bit confused. Do you plan on adding the small amount of investment for 291 (speed creeps adamant scor and hits LO #) or do you plan to just hit 286 (like before)? From what it looks like you just dumped the rest into HP anyway and the loss of a few points in health is worth the hitting of adamant Scor (which could Acrobat revenge you) and smacking them for HP Ice is worth the small loss of bulk imo.

I don't agree with hitting maximum tiers when you don't have to. However, you mentioned Jolly Gliscor -- and that thing is quite weak. I'd rather force Team 2 to carry such a weak advisory then to not include the speed and have them get the option of adamant. In general terms, Adamant Scor is more common than Jolly Scor. You still outspeed base 80s, but hitting that LO # and having insurance is worth the loss of (I think 20) evs in HP imo.
I'm going to keep the current EV spread. Thanks for your suggestions, but if we add those EVs they won't run max speed Adamant Gliscor, so we're just wasting those EVs. But why would they run a max speed Adamant Gliscor anyway? They're trying to counter us, why run a pokemon that's outsped and OHKOd when Landorus is at +2? Gliscor isn't very good against our Rotom-W anyway, so it's really not a likely choice for them, if they want to revenge kill us at +0 then they can just go to Keldeo and do it anyway. Also, Life Orb numbers are cool, but Hidden Power [Ice] is the only thing that makes us take Life Orb recoil, so it doesn't really help too much. Again, thanks for the suggestions though :)

Enguarde

I only play ADV UU
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
G-Von

I thought Forretress would appear sooner or later to provide spin support and lay hazards which Kyurem-B would definitely appreciate in order for it to be used to its full potential, as well as Rotom-W being a nice partner :]

Melee Mewtwo

This is probably going to be really close as Latios and Lando-I were clearly the two best options. They both are very similar in that Team 2 has no choice but to go defensive. The main differences are:
1. Latios has resistances that let it switch in easily whereas Lando is going to have to rely on prediction and Rotom's slow Volt Switch to get in safely.
2. Latios is a speedy nuke whereas Lando-I is a mid-late game cleaner. Latios has the advantage of an almighty dragon STABed Draco Meteor with complentary coverage that it can abuse with it's blazing 110 speed. However, Draco Meteor's Sp. Attack drop means it won't be pulling any straight sweeps. Lando is also very dangerous to switch into and is impossible to revenge kill without priority once it Rock Polishes. Sadly, it's pretty slow at +0 and is going to need that boost to get its sweep.

I'm opting for Latios just cause its resistances means it's going to be coming in more often and doing more damage overall. (Assuming Team 2 doesn't make the mistake of picking Lando fodder) Again, both are epic picks and it's going to be the details that make the difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)