101 Signs You Need Help in UU

Status
Not open for further replies.
#25: You assume every Chandelure is Flash Fire. Then, when you least expect it-provided you don't bring in P2 on it, BAM, Flame Body hax. If someone has mentioned this, can a mod just delete the post, thanks. Though I'm fairly certain it hasn't.

EDIT: Panamaxis, I know it is fairly stupid with the SR and Roost tutors making the moves legal with Immunity, but you can always dream, can't you. :)

#26: Using a bunch of glass cannon sweepers backed up by one or two walls.

To clarify, I'm talking about mixing pokemon that flourish on momentum and keeping your opponent in a defensive position, (such as powerful yet frail pokemon) with defensive pokemon who do nothing to gain momentum. Basically, the moment you retreat to your wall you run a high risk of sacrificing all of your momentum. You may end up having to sacrifice a pokemon to get one of your sweepers in anyway, which basically defeats the purpose of running a wall as a "defensive backbone" or anything of that nature.

If your team focuses its defense on one or two slots, make sure you are using something that doesn't sacrifice momentum, be it through entry hazards, U-turn, phazing, or strong attacks (and probably some other things). Basically, back up frail sweepers with pivots, rather than walls.

Even if you think you are the king of double switches, the forces at play are the same and it will bite you in the butt when you meet your match prediction-wise.

@Scoopapa
Well shucks, I need help then.

Unfortunate that spinning should count as a loss of momentum, but it's so necessary when you've got the team setup you mention in your post. Is there any way to mitigate loss of momentum for spin support (e.g. Offensive Blastoise, Technitop...) while maintaining the staying power necessary to get a spin off? I've been struggling with this issue ever since I started building offensive teams, because I am seriously deterred by Spikes+SR.

In any case: #27:
You don't have a plan for taking out Walrein before it phazes/stalls your team to death

In this Second Age of Hail, there's one thing that can really ruin offensive and stall teams alike: Stallrein w/hazards support. Attempting to outpredict the opponent doesn't count as a valid strategy because you WILL lose against someone equally good without the proper team support. Stuff like Darmanitan is worn down so fast because of Flare Blitz Recoil + Hail + Poison + SR/Spikes, and so is offensive Shaymin who dies in like 3 turns with Life Orb attached. Stall loses because of inability to break sub and getting phazed out indefinitely. Not planning for Walrein - indeed, making a team that is even WEAK to walrein - means that you're going to lose a battle against the odd hail stall teams, as rare as they are on the ladder. You sometimes need to have something that can guarantee a kill: Rhyperior can defeat it with Rock Blast, and Bronzong DGAF about hazards and Walrein can only phaze it away, losing a sub in the process to Gyro Ball (8PP only though, easy enough to stall tbh).

You have the right idea considering an offensive spinner. I don't know who the premier offensive spinner is in UU, but I imagine Kabutops would be viable. Something like Stone Edge / Aqua Jet / Rapid Spin / Swords Dance or Waterfall with Weak Armor at least used to be pretty good. You honestly can't have enough Aqua Jet in this metagame.

Don't feel too bad if you've been building teams like that, and don't overthink whether or not you are making this mistake. There are many ways to tweak a team that seems like that and make it work. My point was to make sure you consider what your plan is to transition from defense back into to offense, if your team is heavily offensive. Swampert is a great example of a defensive mon that keeps momentum because it can 2HKO, Burn, and Roar away many dangerous pokemon who pose a threat to your team, and set up Stealth Rock while it's at it.

#28: You use alakazam and wonder why all your opponents are using OU pokes.

You would not believe all the n00bs I have seen using low tier pokemon, but because of that ONE OU pokemon, they end up getting squashed.

Does #28 even belong in this thread?

@Scoopapa,
The problem with Kabutops is that it's particularly fragile and needs Focus Sash to take a hit... not a good thing if you're swapping into hazards, which is the point of an offensive spinner. Additionally, it's not been that good ever since Drizzle+SS was banned in OU... Urgh...

Well, I'll think it over.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
#30 you don't have a raikou counter

Raikou ruins your life if you don't have anything to counter it. Every team needs a snorlax, a fast earthquake user, a faster-than-raikou pokemon that is capable of revenge killing raikou, a swampert, or something like that or else raikou just runs circles around your team

Hey Chuckeroo... Alakazam is OU idiot.

#28 -OR- #29
You decide to use Block on Snorlax.
lololol XD
I must redirect you to this page then: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3472019
Look at that TTar set!

#31: You run Air Balloon on something generally used as a wall (Empoleon lol)
I saw AB SDef Empoleon and AB Arcanine on the ladder recently, and the simple fact is that you're going to be swapping into threats so not only do you lose Lefties recovery but you also only really win against... Rhyperior and... Heraboss locked into EQ or something, because a broken balloon is no item at all (hey, howabout swapping Unburden mons w/ Air Balloon, does that work?).

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
give them some credit if they're smart enough to register on the greatest competitive pokemon site then they probably know you cant use OUs in UU.

You know whats something you shouldn't do?!!? Switching Xatu on Rhyperior!!! Unless you run Grass Gem Giga Drain (which isn't actually terribad) or you have amazing guessing skills then Xatu is almost always bad response to rhyperior unless you just cannot stand sr on your team and you have something that can immediately ko rhyperior like gothorita lol.

Also you shouldn't be switching Xatu in most SR users that can kill you in general - crustle is one, i cant tell you how many times i tried to predict and how many times i get destroyed by a rock type sr setter. it just doesn't work well at all. in the same vein switching xatu in froslass is generally a bad idea too although xatu can actually take a few 0spa ice beams with a specially defensive set because froslass is pissy weak.

And i would say not running a raikou counter is bad but its almost as bad not to run an electric immunity (someone already said this for number 20) because specs volt switch raikou/zapdos will probably rape you.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hilarious, i actually run a set that can sometimes beat rhyperior. it comes in on stealth rock and then reflects to prevent a rock blast ko, then it can roost stall it of pp, or just roost once and bring in a counter to force it out.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
What I'm saying is that switching a Xatu into Rhyperior knowing they have a chance to use stone edge is really really dumb because it can ohko you off the bat. And if your xatu set is dual screens+twave+roost (i saw it in the creative sets thread) then it can't really beat rhyperior or do anything at all to it to be honest and if the rhyperior keeps using sr over and over again you can't switch out its more of a stalemate than xatu really beating rhyperior imo.

One of my best teams is cb bat/cs darm/lead froslass/lo shaymin/special defense rhyperior and special defense xatu. To be honest it really is an amazing team that almost always ends up with batty or darm sweeping but it (apart from being terribly rain weak) is so sr weak since it uses u-turn a lot between choiced pokemon weak to sr who already hurt themselves from recoil. The problem i always face is when I fight sr users who can kill Xatu (usually rhyperior one time crustle) and the guessing war is always grossly biased against me - there is much more pressure for me to keep sr off the field than for them to kill a weak little xatu meanwhile even if i do bounce back sr my opponent probably wont mind terribly as most teams arent so sr weak (its a common condition they should be prepared).

In general its just a terribad idea to keep on switching xatu on things it can be killed by unless you are very confident your opp will not kill you.

making assumptions about opponent's Pokemon. alot of people have simply expected that setting up stealth rock is good enough to take out shedinja, well, assuming that the sheddy user is intelligent, their #1 priority is elimitating the hazard users, not spinning away the hazards in place. and what about hail, simply assuming a win when you see a hail team is a great way to make stupid errors, and get crushed. basically, assuming things about your opponents is a great way to not win games

34: Using a Natural Cure poke (Shaymin/Roserade) to absorb sleep. Natural Cure activates as soon as the switch occurs, meaning that the opponent can just continue to spam Sleep Powder or Spore and cripple something else on your switch out. I see this happen too often.
It's been said already (read the thread?)

#34: Dumb switches.

When you have a ghost-type poke and I switch my rapid spinner in, I know for a fact that you are going to switch to it. Then I can either toxic it or downright kill it.

Another example would be; When your wall can switch in on a predicted resist, make sure that the attacking poke doesn't have a moveset that allow him to hit you for S.effective damage right after.

#35: Playing in professional mode against not professional players. If you try "overpredict" a noob player, you will fail. Please, don't try to get into their heads. Keep the motto: to attack, always to attack!!!

#36: You continuously use Beat Up when your opponent has Virizion or Cobalion.

If you use a full-powered Beat Up on a pokemon when they have either of those pokemon on their team - don't use it twice unless you want to challenge yourself by giving your opponent a +6 attack boost handicap after they switch into one of those thanks to Justified.

#37: You try weakening your opponent's Bisharp with Intimidate.

Thanks to Defiant, you're just giving him a +1 attack boost (with Intimidate included) when you switch in with that. I had once battled someone using a Qwilfish (who apparently didn't have Haze)+Hitmontop (who apparently didn't have any fighting moves) core, and he was just switching back and forth to try reducing my attack to -6 with Intimidate spam. He quickly noticed what he did wrong after I 1hko'd his team.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
#38: Not having a sharpedo/Yanmega counter or wall

With their powerful base 120(116 on yanmega but point still stands) offensive stats and Speed boost to outspeed all revenge killers or scarfers, you'd better have something that can take a hit or two and OHKO in return. Especially with their extremely powerful coverage, most pokemon may get super effective'd and in turn OHKO'd with their coverage moves.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Yeah i mainly agree with that if you're relying on cobalion to tank an eq from sharpedo then you're going to be screwed if your opponent uses hard cobalion counters of spike support (spikes are really good with sharpedo). however i would argue that if your opponent uses priority like espeed Arcanine and Sucker Punch Honchkrow along with hazards it would be more acceptable to only have weak checks to sharpedo (like cobalion) and yanmega.

Also don't always assume Yanmega is the LO Speed Boost set, even if that is the only set that threatens to sweep most teams the specs set can easily maul some of Yanmega's "counters" (read: Zapdos).

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
if you have strong priority on your team it counts as a speedbooster counter lol

but be careful, sucker punch is powerful on yanmega but not on sharpedo, same for mach punch

espeed arcanine is best counter, but look at the rocks damage it takes, ew

and some people probably still dont know that sharpedo has equake lol

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Letting Venomoth pass Quiver Dance when your Choice Scarf user/fastmon is dead.

Venomoth is a deadly Baton Passer, and if it can successfully Baton Pass to Togekiss or Nidoking then it's probably gg right there. Nidoking's coverage is unparalleled, so unless you have a full-health Porygon2 or Snorlax on your team it's going to be tough to beat a +1/+1/+1 Nidoking. Nidoking's Special Defense boost ensures that you can't rely on a bulky Water to beat it, as a Nidoking at +1 Special Defense is not falling to a Scald or a Surf without prior damage.

Togekiss is even more deadly, as it will flat-out deny you from attacking it with Air Slash. If your team doesn't have a Pokemon with greater than 426 Speed, then there is a chance that Togekiss will outspeed you. At +1 Special Attack, its Air Slashes will be doing at least 40% to Pokemon that resist it, meaning that if you can't attack on one of two turns not even Raikou or Zapdos will beat this bird. In fact, since its already titanic Special Defense is boosted by Quiver Dance then it's going to take two Thunderbolts before falling over. If Togekiss gets behind a Substitute or acquires a second boost just click the forfeit button, as there's no chance that you'll beat it. Togekiss is not OHKO'd by many Physical attacks, is barely 2KO'd by any Special attacks, and can rip foes apart with a boosted Air Slash.

Fortunately, Choice Scarf users such as Darmanitan, Heracross, and Flygon can rip the two QD recipients apart, so make sure that you keep your Scarfer alive if you see a Venomoth and Nidoking/Togekiss on the same team.

Also for the love of all that is holy don't let your Scarfer take the Sleep Powder. x_x

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Metal sonic that's simply incorrect Arcanine is not a sharpedo counter you clearly do not understand what a counter is. All common definitions of a counter go something along the lines of "a pokemon that can safely switch into another pokemon with little threat to itself and can immediately threaten or heavily disrupt the opposing pokemon".

Arcanine clearly does not counter Sharpedo. It does check it however, most definitions of check goes something like "pokemon x checks pokemon y if putting pokemon x on your team means pokemon y cannot completely trounce you". So once again you're wrong when you say having priority counts as a speed boost counter.

More importantly thought you overestimate Sharpedo's defenses even a Sucker Punch will badly injure him from Honchkrow and if Honchkrow is in the middle of a sweep with +1 boost then Sharpedo is going to get OHKOd plain and simple. Sharpedo can only take weak resisted attacks (like Sucker Punch from Hitmontop) while it will still be taking a fair amount of damage from things like Azu's Aqua jet which does about half to him.

Yeah detroitlolcat letting anything set up really is very dumb if you don't have a strong response to it but I would even say guys like Rock Polish Rhyperior are even scarier than some Qd passers to many teams since if you're using something like Victini to revenge stuff Rhyperior will still maul you even if you have your scarfer intact.

#40: Random exploding Bronzong.

For those of you who aren't aware, Explosion has been nerfed significantly this gen. Tossing it onto Bronzong (or any Pokémon) haphazardly is a terrible idea. Stealth Rock, then Explosion... why? Bronzong cries sad bell tears when you make him go suicidal for no reason. It isn't the huge damage dealer it used to be, and coming off of base 89 attack, even invested Explosion is rather underwhelming, especially considering how much else our big bell fella has to offer in terms of tank-iness. I mean, maybe, MAYBE I could see running Explosion on the dual-screens set so you can go on out to a sweeper, but eh, why not keep the big guy alive? I'd much prefer the opportunity to potentially reset SR, Screens, tank hits, and even dish out a little damage with Gyro Ball or EQ instead of just blowing the poor thing up.

#41: Heatproof Bronzong.

You aren't clever. Stop. Spikes gives you away, and the ability to switch in on EQ is much more valuable than weakening fire moves.

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
You can be on the #StopCrueltytoPokemon organisation lol queen

#42 Forgetting to set abilities on your pokemon

This is more-of a PO problem than a Showdown problem, but it happens still all the same.

Rough Skin Sharpedo go!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
#40: Random exploding Bronzong.

For those of you who aren't aware, Explosion has been nerfed significantly this gen. Tossing it onto Bronzong (or any Pokémon) haphazardly is a terrible idea. Stealth Rock, then Explosion... why? Bronzong cries sad bell tears when you make him go suicidal for no reason.
Explosion isn't totally worthless. It is on Bronzong, but a faster Pokemon can Explode to make Rapid Spin fail for a turn, which gives you a free chance to bring in a counter. This is most notable on a suicide Azelf.

#41: Heatproof Bronzong.

You aren't clever. Stop. Spikes gives you away, and the ability to switch in on EQ is much more valuable than weakening fire moves.
If it were Levitate / Flash Fire there would actually be reason to consider it, but it's not. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)