Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Are there any particular KOs that SubDD Gyarados gets with Aqua Tail that he doesn't with Waterfall? I'm running the SubDD set on-site.
No, i dont think so. Waterfall is preferred because it has 100 accuracy allowing you to hit everytime (without counting sand veil users or evasion stuff) while aquatail has 10% of missing.

I see often on Showdown people who play Aqua Tail over Waterfall. The reason is simple, after an DDance Gyarados can OHKO Garchomp. With Waterfall it is "only" a 2OHKO move.

Thanks, green gadgets.

LilOuOn: I know why people use Waterfall over Aqua Tail (perfect accuracy + flinch chance), but I was curious is that extra damage could possibly give a bit of an edge.

Really, REALLY random question to sate my curiosity.

Okay, so say you use Future Sight or Doom Desire. Then, on the next turn, you use Calm Mind or Nasty Plot.

When the attack hits two turns later, will the damage be based off of your initial Special Attack stat, or your current Special Attack stat?

The damage of Future Sight/Doom Desire is based on the Special Attack and Special Defense at the time of striking, not at the time it was used on the original target

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Who are some good offensive partners for Scarfchomp on a weatherless team?
Garchomp hates steel types like Foretress or Skarmory because they can resist his stab and because of their massive physical defense. If you are planning to make him sweep, something to get rid of the steels and defensive landorus-T is great. Magnezone is famous because his Dragmag core helping all dragons to clean at late game with only little support. Use Magnezone with choice specs and trap some ferro or forry and go for the HP fire. Gothitelle with HP ice can help trapping Landorus-t but you must be careful of the U-turn. Gothi also can take a hydro pump from scarf keldeo and proceed to psyshock (it is better if you catch keldeo locked in secret sword).

Remember Fire fang only does 24.6% - 29.3% without sun to Skarmory and then he can roost the damage.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I figured this would be a more appropriate place than Wi-Fi since it is more to do with battle strategy. I've got a WISHMKR Jirachi (to be tutored with Body Slam and / or Thunder Wave) and due to IV restrictions, the best possible Nature / IVs are Careful 31 / 31 / 26 / 3 / 26 / 28. I'm going for Specially Defensive Jirachi (252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe). Obviously I cannot reach optimal stats (404 HP / 321 SpD / 244 Spe). There are two routes I could go. I could do 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe to reach 321 SpD, but I lack the ability to outrun Jolly 252 Tyranitar. Alternatively, I can do 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe to outrun Tyranitar but it sacrifices special bulk a bit. Is Tyranitar enough of a threat to justify cutting out that amount of SpD? If I go with the bulkier spread, should I split EVs between SpD and Def?

edit: I know that spread isn't the best Jirachi of all time since there are multiple sets, but it's the best for Specially Defensive.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
I dont think so NihHex, either way, not a lot of people uses jolly T-tar, and, what does t-tar runs to kill Jirachi? Cruch, Pursuit, Superpower, stone edge, i have not ever seen earthquake on him.

Anyways, Jirachi's main purpose is to deal with Lati@s, Keldeo, etc and parahax, so i dont think that more speed is better than more special defense.

EDIT: I made some calcs with Smogons' damage calculator (hope they are fine)

252 Atk Jolly Tyranitar's Earthquake vs 252 Hp Jirachi : 55.4% - 65.3%

I desperately need a pokemon for my rain team that can do all of these things.

A. Switch into and Ohko Breloom any day of the week reliably
B. Is able to "set up" in any way
C. Is a physical attacker
D. Has some way to recover Hp
E. can take a non super effective hit relatively well
F. Fits reasonably well on a rain team

I thank all smogon brains in advance for helping me with my problem if they choose to do so.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
@moonbase

The only think that i can find here is Calm Mind Latias.

She can take ezly on breloom, can set up calm mind, has roost to recover hp, its enough bulky to take non super effective hit and fits really nice on rain teams, however, she is not a physical attacker (your question is really hard). She has access to Psyshock calculating with the opponent's defense so it may help. Though cm latias does not carry psyshock usually.

Another option is Landorus-T, he can come in against Loom, is physical attacker (huge 145 base), can take hits very well (hurricane from LO tornadus-T is not a OHKO on max hp lando and can take terrakion's hit very well) and he has access to rock polish, swords dance, but has no recovery moves.

If any idea comes over my mind i will post it here, thats all for now :[

EDIT NEW IDEA c: HERE:

Wish CM Jirachi.
A. He can take bullet seeds very well but you have to be careful about mach punch.
B. He can set up with Calm Mind.
C. Psyshock allows him to deal with bulky specially defensive pokemons counting as a physical attack.
D. Has access to wish.
E. Very bulky and can take a lot of hits thanks to its typing.
F. Fits really nice in a rain team. Psyshock, thunder, wish and calm mind.

EDIT 2: Scarfwynaut got a better idea, i dont know why i didnt think about dnite. Take his suggestion.

I think a dragon dance dragonite may fit the bill, the only thing you have to worry about is stone edge and spore, the stealth rock weakness is not as much of a problem because of roost. If you keep up your health too and rocks off the field, Dragonite takes stone edge fine to and you should sleep fodder something for spore.

The Dragon Dance set listed on site is probably the best.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I thank all smogon brains in advance for helping me with my problem if they choose to do so.

Calm Mind or Dual Screen Xatu may work too. It switches into Spore, Bullet Seed, and (Fighting move). It can Roost, and it also provides support for teams by bouncing SR from other mons. Stone Edge is a bitch though.

@LilOuOn thank you for the suggestions that you gave me, and also your quick response : )

The only problem with those choices that you gave me are that none of them can really come in on a spore and both of your choices seem like they need lefties recovery. (less so on Latias) the pokemon that I use at the moment to combat the problem that I have is a dnite with a lum berry that carries dragon claw, earthquake, dragon dance, and roost. The only problem with this is that I do not believe that a max attack dragon claw can Ohko Breloom ( correct me if I'm wrong, because I do not know how to do damage calcs) and the face that I already have 2 othe pokes that are weak to ice type moves on the team that I am using. (Tornadous and Thunderus T) I was thing about using scrafty but the problem with him is that even at +2 it still can't out speed crap.

That list really constricts the options. Hmm....

If it really needs to be physical, physical celebi can switch into breloom (plus natural cure if it gets spored), can use swords dance, has recover, is pretty bulky, and other than facing tornadus t, it fits well on rain teams thanks to its weakness to fire types slightly mitigated. However, i dont know how well that works these days. A special set is on the same boat, since you can use nasty plot, calm mind, or go out and attack.

Zapdos an switch in, is a special attacker, has roost, has decent bulk, and can fit well on rain teams. However, i dont know if zapdos is all that viable atm. But dont let that discourage you from using it.

Other than what LilOuOn,NixHex,, and Scarfwynaut said, i have no idea. You could try changing members of your team (if possible) to fit some of those roles and then find a pokemon to fit the rest of the roles. I hope i helped :)

LilOu

PO poopyhead
@LilOuOn thank you for the suggestions that you gave me, and also your quick response : )

The only problem with those choices that you gave me are that none of them can really come in on a spore and both of your choices seem like they need lefties recovery. (less so on Latias) the pokemon that I use at the moment to combat the problem that I have is a dnite with a lum berry that carries dragon claw, earthquake, dragon dance, and roost. The only problem with this is that I do not believe that a max attack dragon claw can Ohko Breloom ( correct me if I'm wrong, because I do not know how to do damage calcs) and the face that I already have 2 othe pokes that are weak to ice type moves on the team that I am using. (Tornadous and Thunderus T) I was thing about using scrafty but the problem with him is that even at +2 it still can't out speed crap.
Adamant 252 Atk Dragonite (Lum Berry) Dragon Claw vs 4 Hp / 0 Def Breloom = 67.9% - 80.2%

You can use outrage to kill or maybe wing attack lol (if you need to kill breloom that hard it is an option, maybe hurricane but you want a physical attacker).

PS: Jirachi has wish for recovery.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I think I'll stick with the d nite with the lum berry that has earthquake, dragon dance, roost, and outrage (so I'm able to one shot Breloom.) I still have the problem of having 3 pokes weak to stealth rocks and ice on my team, but we can't all have what we want. Lol

Edit: I have one more question, Can I post the basic composition of my team on here to avoid making an RMT?

If a Poison Heal Pokemon with Toxic Orb is affected with Mummy/Worry Seed/etc, where does the Toxic count begin? That is, does it act like a 1st turn Toxic or does it act like whatever turn the Pokemon is on?

If a Poison Heal Pokemon with Toxic Orb is affected with Mummy/Worry Seed/etc, where does the Toxic count begin? That is, does it act like a 1st turn Toxic or does it act like whatever turn the Pokemon is on?
Well first off, mummy is a pretty bad thing to use against Breloom because none of Breloom's moves make "contact," so mummy is never transfered.

The poison counter still counts the entire time it is on the field even if it has poison heal, so if its been on the field for 8 turns, it will instantly lose half of its health (8/16) like the poison was there the hole time counting.

Well first off, mummy is a pretty bad thing to use against Breloom because none of Breloom's moves make "contact," so mummy is never transfered.

The poison counter still counts the entire time it is on the field even if it has poison heal, so if its been on the field for 8 turns, it will instantly lose half of its health (8/16) like the poison was there the hole time counting.
I'm aware that it's quite a poor option, my question was merely a technical one. I love analyzing battle mechanics.

Also, in the previous thread I asked about which moves Kyurem-base keeps when it is de-fused. I was told that it keeps everything but Freeze Shock/Ice Burn are replaced with Glaciate. What happens to Fusion Bolt/Flare then?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think it would normally be used for Breloom. On an old stall team, I used a Mummy cofagrigus to check Ice Fang SD Gliscor

Mr8492, the Fusion moves revert into Scary Face.

Himanattsu, Heatran with Roar. If you are afraid of Earthquake/HP Ground, you can use Air Balloon but both are pretty rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)