np: BW Ubers Suspect Round 2 - U Can't Touch This (UPDATE: EVASION UNBANNED!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright just an update. So we decided to delay the next test (Moody) till after SPL ends, so everyone can practice without having to worry about the fact that the next 3 tests are the most taboo things possible: Moody, Sleep Clause, and Species Clause! In the mean time though, we'll think of something interesting for you guys to do...

Could there possibly be a separate ladder for Species and Sleep Clause perhaps? I know there aren't many people playing, so I understand that it will probably not be that way, but it will be a shame if you can't play "regular" ubers for that period of time.

Moody: May cause smeargle to rise in popularity. That 75 Speed might be a downside though.
Sleep Clause: Everyone and their friends are likely to use Darkrai. I remember seeing youtubes of PBR and the rage that ensues when Darkrai is used
Species clause: OH BLEEP OH BLEEP OH BLEEP 6 KYOGRES/ARCEUI!!!

This is what I'm expecting to happen as we try this.

Specs Ogre, Scarf Ogre, Arceus-Elec, ExtremeKiller, Arceus-Steel, Arceus-Dragon. Watch people rage.

Sleep will be interesting. I doubt it will get unbanned, but there will be some interesting sets while it lasts.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Species clause will stay intact for sure IMO. Why use anything not named Arceus/Kyogre when there's a Arceus and a XYZ Plate just begging for you to use it? With Species clause out of play, I think there'll be dramatic centralization around Arceus and without sleep clause, Darkrai. Probs just stating the obvious tho. :P

Smeargle, too. Baton Pass, Shell Smash, Spore, just got a lot more viable.
I don't think this is true because Smeargles job is to pass once, courtesy of its sash. When it has passed, it's good game so I can't see the point of this being more viable because you can sleep multiple opponents. I understand that if you spore first it could go on and spore the switch in as well, and then sleep the entire team before passing, but it's really just as good to smash first, survive with the sash and sleep the switch in, and then pass.

PROBLEMS

AHEAD OF HIS TIME
Alright just an update. So we decided to delay the next test (Moody) till after SPL ends, so everyone can practice without having to worry about the fact that the next 3 tests are the most taboo things possible: Moody, Sleep Clause, and Species Clause! In the mean time though, we'll think of something interesting for you guys to do...
I can't tell if this is a serious post or a joke, you're just going to brake the tier and the players will leave for PO.

You can't tell me this will have a positive effect on the tier?

I don't play Ubers much, but I think there is one threat that is getting ignored here for the Moody Clause: Bibarel. Sure, the beaver's strongest stat is 85 attack, which is even pathetic in NU, but it can stall effectively with this moveset:

Bibarel @ Leftovers
Trait: Moody
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Dive
- Rest
- Sleep Talk / Protect

After some Evasion boosts, you will be stalled to death by the combo of Toxic + ResTalk. Dive just makes you stall more, and you have a chance to get an Evasion boost. I'm not sure if he gets Baton Pass, though. One thing, though: He's fucked by Thunder, which is everywhere...

I can't tell if this is a serious post or a joke, you're just going to brake the tier and the players will leave for PO.

You can't tell me this will have a positive effect on the tier?
It's been announced for a while that those are up next. Every clause is getting tested. Now, no one thinks they'll be unbanned, but testing is how you decide what's broken and what isn't. Sleep at least has a chance, though a small one, since there's counters for it. After OHKO I don't hold out much hope, but if people start running more RestTalk and even Choiced Sleep Talk+3 Attacks, sleep might be able to be handled.

sleep talk is terrible idea in a game were the mechanics for it means if you don't get what you need when you use it your forced out (because you are gonna die and/or give your foe free set up) and still have to sleep for how many turns you have to sleep because of the sleep mechanics change.

there's a reason why sleep talk is pretty much unseen in gen 5 because unless you get what you need when you use it it will just be ineffective or worse a free turn.

But Sleep Talk does show up occasionally. I'm thinking various Choiced mons which only need 3 attacks. Stick Sleep Talk on the 4th slot, you can switch it into Darkrai and spam until you kill.

Species clause may not be so bad to play on the ladder, simply because of the amount of gimmick teams; I'm sure as shit that teams with 6 Charizard are gonna be more common than well thought out teams with versatile pokemon used effectively.

Also, maybe I'm just being naive, but am I the only one that thinks 6 Arceus teams won't be that bad? For me at least, I use Arceus to complete a team, rather than build a team around it. That's why it's so good; Arceus can fulfill every role in the game quite well, none of them perfectly, but well. But this means Arceus is a very situational pokemon: There's no reason to use, say, Arceus Psychic over Mewtwo unless your specific teambuild necessitates it.

Want a great wallbreaker? Why use Arceus Dragon over White Kyurem?
Want a sturdy special wall? Why use any Arceus over Chansey, Bllissey, Jirachi, hell even sp.def Meloetta is passable in ubers (passable, not great).
Want a great revenge killer? Why use Extreme Killer (Which is not a good revenge killer, I might add) or Scarf Arceus (lol) over scarf Kyogre, or scarf Terrakion, or scarf <insert good scarfer here>?

My point is that bar a very select few (EK, Ghostceus, Rockceus in sand, MAYBE Grassceus & Steelceus), the job that a given Arceus would do on a team full of Arceus would be done better by something else; Arceus is a niche pokemon, NOT something you build around.

Moody's only hindrance is going to be that the pokemon that get it are shit; otherwise that's probably broken, or too centralising. I don't want to have to run Ditto, who only works in negative 5% of matches in Ubers, in order to stop Bidoof sweeping me.

Sleep I'm undecided on. Obviously the only reason people are freaking out is because of Darkrai being a goddamn menace (125 speed with moderately accurate sleep move, 135 sp.atk and set up move? nothx). But it's not that difficult to deal with on paper. Darkrai basically dies to a light breeze, so anything faster than it and its not a problem. And yea, sleep talk + 3 good moves is also a decent idea. And of course there's insomnia Delibird ;)

All 3 look very interesting to test though, and while I'm pretty sure they'll all remain banned, I can't wait to try out some original teams.

For Sleep Clause, I'd run Choice Scarf Darkrai, and spam Dark Void. It doesn't miss that often, and put the whole opponent's team to sleep.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
to counter Darkrai, there would be Sleep Talk/Chesto Berry/Lum Berry... but I don't want to have to run that on every poke that I want to use... also, typical scarfers (eg Kyogre, Palkia, anything under 125 Spe) would lose to a faster sleep. that would sux

Bad Dreams takes 8 turns to kill. Figure, conservatively, you'll wake up twice. Is there an Ubers poke that can't 2hko Darkrai? Darkrai will be good with no Sleep clause, but Scarf won't be viable.

I'm currently thinking LO with Void/Pulse/Substitute/Dream Eater.

When we test sleep clause I predict Scarf Primeape becoming an actual player in Ubers. Even when they don't have a Darkrai, it can still act as a worse Genesect with STAB Close Combat. Also, I bet Smeargle ends up being really good while testing sleep clause. Minimize + Spore + Shell Smash + Baton Pass is looking better and better. Add Moody in there and you have another metagame-defining Pokemon (the others being Extreme Killer, Kyogre, and to a lesser extent Groudon).

Let's see:

Moody: It should be unbanned, Smeargle may see some more uses, but it will not change anything else.
Sleep: Darkrai will see more uses, but let's think: Sleep just last 3 turns on avarage, and half ubers tier can OHKO it back, and the other half can 2HKO it, just don't switch out and keep attacking until it's out from game. Parasect's niche will love it, but you know, Parasect is not the fearest Pokémon there. Breloom and Quiver Dance Venomoth + Baton Pass may be seen, but nothing incredible, anyway.
Species: 5 Kyogres, 1 counter to it's counters. Maybe 4 Kyogres, 1 Kyogre-Counters, and 1 Arceus to being more versatile.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Next round will start right after SPL finals, and we will be investigating Moody Clause.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
We're currently at Week 9 which ends on Sunday. Semi-finals start on Monday, and the finals begin the next Tuesday. So in 2 weeks or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)