Pokemon of the Week #16: Latias

SpDef Scizor can stomach resisted special hits (such as Scarf Latios), but he's not walling any of the rain sweepers, period. The weakest of them, Torn-T, does a minimum of 62% with Jolly LO Hurricane. He's not taking any of Thundurus-T's Thunders, and he's definitely not taking Keldeo's Hydro Pump.

What I feel like SpDef Scizor has more of a niche is as a Sun Sweeper counter. After Sleep Clause has been activated, Venusaur PROBABLY won't have anything to touch you. The vast majority I've seen recently do not carry HP Fire or Earthquake, relying on teammates (especially 'Trio) to remove Steels. If Sawsbuck hasn't boosted yet, even more so if he doesn't carry Life Orb, 252 HP Scizor walls him relatively effectively. Nothing he has does more than 40~% with an Adamant Nature and a Life Orb at +0.

Asek

Banned deucer.
#
What I feel like SpDef Scizor has more of a niche is as a Sun Sweeper counter. After Sleep Clause has been activated, Venusaur PROBABLY won't have anything to touch you. The vast majority I've seen recently do not carry HP Fire or Earthquake, relying on teammates (especially 'Trio) to remove Steels. If Sawsbuck hasn't boosted yet, even more so if he doesn't carry Life Orb, 252 HP Scizor walls him relatively effectively. Nothing he has does more than 40~% with an Adamant Nature and a Life Orb at +0.
I don't know who you've been running into on the ladder, but over half (54%) of venu carried HP [FIRE] and a quarter of them carried Earthquake in the latest usage stats. Specially Defensive Scizor's real strong point was taking barely anything from specs latios / LO Latias draco meteor and then setting up on the switch out , but tbh I find Latios's counters (SpD Jirachi, TTar, Mamoswine etc.) are everywhere atm so its usage has fallen quite a bit, cutting quite a bit out of the utility Specially Defensive SD Scizor had. It was pretty good at the end of BW1 but i don't think it has too much use now compared to the more offensive geared sets. Band is still and will probably forever be the premier and most used set, but offensive SD scizor has been coming back up again with the banning of genesect. In this very fast paced meta, the bulky SD set seems to be passed up in favour of the offensive one, with LO making up for a jolly nature if you decide to use one to beat all magnezone variants besides scarf, as well as nearly all heatran. Not much can take +2 LO boosted Bug Bites, and switching into it is pretty scary, its one of the better sweepers in the meta with genesect gone

I honestly don't view it as a sweeper. Its speed makes Lucario look fast, and the coverage isn't exactly stellar. Most teams always have 2 checks at least to SD Scizor, and if you're facing someone competent, they're always going to conserve at least 1 until Scizor dies or until he/she finds out it's Choice Band. I like the Choice Band and Trapper sets the best; it's more of a utility pokemon IMO.

I honestly don't view it as a sweeper. Its speed makes Lucario look fast, and the coverage isn't exactly stellar. Most teams always have 2 checks at least to SD Scizor, and if you're facing someone competent, they're always going to conserve at least 1 until Scizor dies or until he/she finds out it's Choice Band. I like the Choice Band and Trapper sets the best; it's more of a utility pokemon IMO.
Bullet Punch negates the need for speed and alongside bug bite has enough coverage to sweep lategame.

But relying on Bullet Punch with just 65 Speed to sweep? There are common WALLS who are outrunning Max Speed Scizor with little investment.

But relying on Bullet Punch with just 65 Speed to sweep? There are common WALLS who are outrunning Max Speed Scizor with little investment.
Yeah, thats where bug bite comes in. Most walls dont pack fire type moves anyway. Of course something like Jellicent could stop Scizor but you need to get rid of it first. All Scizor sets have similar checks regardless.

I don't know who you've been running into on the ladder
Oh, just people with teams seemingly tailor-made to buttfuck me. You know. The usual.

I, too, have noticed the vast increase in SD Scizor. In BW1, and to an extent at the tail end of DPP, CB Scizor was way more common than any other variant. Now that Scizor's usage has come back up we're seeing way more than just the CB set. It's still absolutely his best set, but I'm happy to see variety. (read: but I'm happy to see less of Venusaur)

Below is easily my favorite Scizor set. Not only does it beat its common "checks" in Jellicent, Tentacruel, Specially Defensive Rotom-W with Will-o-Wisp, and slow Specially Defensive Heatran, but it retains a lot of bulk and power with the given EV's. I just speed creep 4 Speed Rotom-W and throw the rest in HP and Attack. Try it out if you are weary of Swords Dance Scizor, Wizarus!

Scizor @ Lum Berry | Technician
Adamant | 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Swords Dance | Bullet Punch | Bug Bite | Superpower

Yeah, thats where bug bite comes in. Most walls dont pack fire type moves anyway. Of course something like Jellicent could stop Scizor but you need to get rid of it first. All Scizor sets have similar checks regardless.
Except the trapper and Band sets have pursuit and U-turn, so it still does its job, even if it's walled.

Below is easily my favorite Scizor set. Not only does it beat its common "checks" in Jellicent, Tentacruel, Specially Defensive Rotom-W with Will-o-Wisp, and slow Specially Defensive Heatran, but it retains a lot of bulk and power with the given EV's. I just speed creep 4 Speed Rotom-W and throw the rest in HP and Attack. Try it out if you are weary of Swords Dance Scizor, Wizarus!

Scizor @ Lum Berry | Technician
Adamant | 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Swords Dance | Bullet Punch | Bug Bite | Superpower
How the fuck does this beat Jellicent and Tentacruel?!? It certainly does not. They Scald you to death and you are not 2HKOing. Tentacruel walls this thing shitless and 2HKO's with Scald.

Scizor only wants 2 items, Life Orb or Choice Band. Metal Coat is useful in certain isolated conditions.

These are the Non Choice Band Scizor builds that I use.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 152 HP / 104 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit / Bug Bite
- Swords Dance

Offensive Swords Dance. Scizor is better as a lure than it's own sweeper. +2 Pursuit beats Jellicent. Night Slash is stronger but Pursuit can still revenge-trap a Lati@ in a pinch. HP is a Life Orb number and the Speed is enough for minimum speed Heatran if you get backed into a corner.

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 96 Atk / 232 HP / 180 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower / Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Bulky Swords Dance. Scizor ALWAYS wants Life Orb to revenge kill things with Bullet Punch when not sweeping. Superpower is better neutral coverage but Bug Bite is stronger overall. HP is a Life Orb number, the rest of the EVs go into Attack and Bulk.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Trait: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Substitute
- Roost
- Baton Pass

Baton Pass team Scizor. Works as a good physical wall.

Scizor @ Iron Plate
EVs: 16 Atk / 248 HP / 244 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Specialized Scizor. Use this to kill Gengar, Lati@, Espeon, Alakazam, etc. It can sweep in a pinch as well with Bullet Punch.

The Pokemon of the Week is changing soon! If you have any last minute responses, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Sorry about the delay; I've only had my phone as a computer for a while, and holiday things.

Tyranitar

Type: Rock / Dark
Base Stats: 100 HP / 134 Atk / 110 Def / 95 SpA / 100 SpD / 65 Spe
Abilities: Sand Stream | Unnerve
Notable Moves:

- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Tail
- Thunderbolt

Having been one of the most gamechanging Pokemon of all time, the original weather inducer will be our new Pokemon of the Week! With Gen4 giving us Hippowdon and Gen5 giving us Ninetales and Politoed, Tyranitar has lost some of its original shine; however, it still has a few cool niches. First of all, it is easily one of the best Lati@S counters in the game. Sandstorm with its Rock-typing gives it another 50 base SpDef in Sand; one thing that shouldn't be overlooked. Additionally, Tyranitar tanks special hits much better than Hippowdon, making it more fit for this Specially-based metagame. Even though rain has taken over, is Tyranitar still good? Let's explore this Pokemon of the Week!

Ever since the meta has become cluttered with Fighting-types, I feel Tyranitar has become overshadowed by Hippowdon. Hippowdong sponges hits from the likes of Terrakion (+ other non-Keldeo Fighting-types) and Scizor better, and also has access to STAB EQ.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Offensive sand teams that don't use a Sand Rush user could really give two shits for Hippo at all. Scarf / Band / Mix TTar is amazing in every way for offensive teams. Don't play stall so I won't comment on TTar's prowess, but I will say that for PO players TTar is a decent check to Genesect.

Tyranitar will always be bulky, powerful, and menacing, but with the rise of pokes like Keldeo, Breloom, Tornadus-T, and Terrakion, he doesn't have as many safe switchins as he used to. If a team is weak to Lati@s, Tyranitar is a great choice, since it is by far the best Pursuit trapper (I'm not a fan of Weavile's frailt), but understand the risks that come with having a pokemon weak to some of the most common attacking types.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
I still prefer Tyranitar over Hippowdon, for a number of reasons. The first is its obvious superior special bulk. It can counter Lati@s, but can also effectively counter many other things, such as slower Ghost- and Psychic-types, and Celebi, which is a boon for things that struggle with them, like Keldeo. Tyranitar also has Pursuit. The Choice Band set makes the best use of Pursuit, as it can be effectively used even against things that are neutral to it, and hits them for massive damage, many times OHKOing them. On my opinion no other Pokémon makes better use of Pursuit than Tyranitar. Not even Scizor (since the latter tends to attract some Ghost-types like Jellicent, instead of scaring away them). Tyranitar has much better offensive prowess, and even if it does not like facing Fighting-types, it can always catch them on the switch (or if they are slower) with Superpower, which does massive damage to most of them (in case of Terrakion, it's even an OHKO, due to its weakness to Superpower).

Thanks to its massive special bulk, you can be assured that you will neet a Fighting-type attack or a STAB super-effective attack to take Tyranitar down.

I am pretty experienced with Tyranitar - of all the Pokémon that I've used, Tyranitar is peharps the pokémon that I've been using for longest time. I've used all possible sets that it can (or could) run effectively, like Dragon Dance, Choice sets, TyraniBoah, Tank (mixed attacking, specially defensive), Tank (physically attacking, specially defensive), and even a pure specially defensive set. My favorite set used to be the Scarf set. Paired with Landorus, they could revenge kill every relevant threat on OU. However, I fell like this combo is not very effective nowadays. Instead, my favorite set now is the Choice Band set:

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower / Aqua Tail / Earthquake / Fire Punch

Stone Edge 2HKOes even physically defensive Skarmory, as well as being Tyranitar's most powerful move, keeping Volcarona at bay, for example. Crunch is the most reliable though, and it kills most Ghost- and Psychic-types, as well as hitting hard a few things that resist Stone Edge, like Gastrodon and Jirachi. Peharps Choice Band Tyranitar is the set that makes the better use or Pursuit. Pursuit OHKOes most Lati@s, even if they stay in. In adittion, anything that switchs and takes at least neutral damage from Pursuit takes massive damage, as long as it isn't too bulky physically. For example, I've managed to trap and kill some Thundurus-T that were locked on Electric-type moves. Superpower is the best coverage move. It defeats almost all Steel-types that resist both of its STABs, as well as doing massive damage to its biggest nemesis: Fighting-types. In fact, some of them, like Keldeo and Breloom, take around 80% from Superpower. The latter is even OHKOed many times. Terrakion and Lucario are also OHKOed if they switch on Superpower.

However, there are some coverage moves that can be used instead; none of them are as effective as Superpower, though. Aqua Tail 2HKOes Hippowdon and Gliscor, as well as still hitting Air Balloon users and Terrakion reliably. However, it leaves Tyranitar walled by Breloom, Keldeo, and Ferrothorn (though the latter still takes massive damage from Stone Edge even though it resists it). Earthquake is like a Superpower that has slighty different coverage and doesn't lower your defenses. It's only good if your team has weakness to Jirachi and/or Metagross, through, since Superpower is always the better option otherwise. Not to mention that Earthquake leaves Tyranitar helpless against Breloom and Ferrothorn. Fire Punch is able to reliably 2HKO Skarmory, without relying on Stone Edge's shaky accuracy. It also takes care of the aforementioned Ferrothorn (much better than Superpower) as well as taking care of Breloom, Scizor, and Bronzong. This makes Fire Punch seems better than Superpower. However, the reality is that Superpower is still better. Fire Punch leaves Tyranitar walled by Fighting-types that are not weak to Fire (especially Keldeo and Terrakion). In adittion, Superpower already OHKOes Breloom, Stone Edge has a great chance to OHKO Scizor after Stealth Rock, and Ferrothorn already takes massive damage from Superpower.

Choice Band Tyranitar does not disappoint and does its job well. In adittion, in case you face a stall team (which is unlikely on this metagame, but still possible), CB Tyranitar takes care of most physical walls, except Hippowdon. It's not necessary to say that Tyranitar massacres any special wall that dares switching on him. Even Politoed will not like switching-in on this beast, as it is 2HKOed by Stone Edge, as well as OHKOing max HP (without investiment in Defense) Politoed (and always 2HKOing with Crunch). Ninetales will be OHKOed by Stone Edge even if Tyranitar is burned, and has 84% chance to be OHKOed by Pursuit if it dares switching out. So the only weather starter that really threathens Tyranitar is Hippowdon, and even then, is easy to pack a Grass- or Water-type, or Lati@s, to take care of Hippowdon.

This bastard is the main reason I can't use Calm Mind Latias effectively. Everytime I try, it comes in for free and Latias dies. I'm forced to double switch every time I see it.

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Superpower/Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
One of my favorite Tyranitar Sets. Tyranitar normally has terrible speed even at max, but with a choice Scarf Equiped Tyranitar can become very fast reaching at about 364 speed with Choice Scarf which allows Tyranitar to outspeed Postive Base 115's such as Starmie and Azelf as well to outspeed and OHKO the Lati Twins. Crunch is Tyranitars main STAB to get rid of powerful threats that are weak to Dark such as the Lati Twins, Gengar, Reuniclus,and Espeon, but can also be helpful to get rid of defensive Psychic and Ghost Types such as Slowbro, Celebi, Jellicent, and Slowking. Pursuit is a 40 base power move which may seem unattractive at first is actually the boon of this set since Pursuit becomes a 80 base power move when the target switches and since the Lati Twins will most likely switch to avoid getting OHKOed by Crunch, Pursuit allows Tyranitar to prevent such a thing from happening and will most likely OHKO both Latios and Latias. Stone Edge is there to wrap up Tyranitars STAB as well as denting Pokemon Such as Skarmory or Gliscor and helping against Dragonite and Salamence if they do not have any speed boost from Dragon Dance. Superpower is another asset to this set as it can allow Tyranitar to get a surprised KO on Terrakion and Lucario if they do not suspect Choice Scarf. The main problem with this set however is that despite Choice Scarf, Tyranitar gets outsped by positive base 120's such as Dugtrio, Alakazam, and the Tornadus-T(Base postive 121). Do keep in mind that Dugtrio cannot OHKO a healthy Tyranitar unless it has Life Orb or Choice Band. Another move that can be used on Tyranitar is Earthquake to prevent Toxicroak from setting up on Tyranitar in or out of Sandstorm.

This bastard is the main reason I can't use Calm Mind Latias effectively. Everytime I try, it comes in for free and Latias dies. I'm forced to double switch every time I see it.
Lol, that's why I use Scizor + Keldeo/Terrakion with my Latias.

I do too. The point was Latias can't do anything besides Substitute without dying.
Sub / CM Latias is excellent on Rain teams. Why? Tyranitar hates Toxic Spikes, Rain, and Burn even more. Burn him or Toxic up, throw up your Sub and Latias sweeps every match. It's like clockwork.

Tar isn't great in this Metagame. I like Choice Band the most but he is a pretty reliable user of SR too. I think every Tar should outspeed Scizor though at all costs so you can punish it with CB Stone Edge or fry it with Fire Blast. That will teach those damn Scizor about U-turning!

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
Sub / CM Latias is excellent on Rain teams. Why? Tyranitar hates Toxic Spikes, Rain, and Burn even more. Burn him or Toxic up, throw up your Sub and Latias sweeps every match. It's like clockwork.

Tar isn't great in this Metagame. I like Choice Band the most but he is a pretty reliable user of SR too. I think every Tar should outspeed Scizor though at all costs so you can punish it with CB Stone Edge or fry it with Fire Blast. That will teach those damn Scizor about U-turning!
Who uses Toxic Spikes nowadays? Also, Tyranitar is not going to switch on Scald. This would be an imbecility. Also, most Band Tyranitar use sufficient speed to outspeed uninvested base 70s like Politoed and Skarmory, so they can outspeed Choice Band/Bulky Swords Dance Scizor, unless for some reason it also runs speed EVs (most run HP EVs, though. I am using 48 speed EVs so that Politoed doesn't just wash Scizor away with Hydro Pump).

On rain teams, the only thing that could really guarantee that Tyranitar doesn't disturb Latias is Dugtrio (if Politoed is still alive). If Tyranitar defeats Latias, at least Dugtrio can use this opportunity to get a free switch, trap Tyranitar, and then defeat him. This lets you easily win the weather war (unless you are using the famous Double Sand strategy). You can then use a backup plan to defeat the opposing team (just doesn't rely on Latias to defeat the opponent, and this strategy should work).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)