Regenerator Team

Hi, this is my first RMT. I'm relatively new to competitive battling, but I have had a large amount of sucess with this team and would like to see what other people think of it.

Team Building​

I came up with the idea of a Regenerator team after messing around with a couple of Regenerator Pokemon. I wondered if I could make a team based around abusing Regenerator, and set off to make one.

First, I needed Regenerators. I started with Amoonguss and Slowbro, who form a solid defensive core and would not constrain me too much in teambuilding. I went with simple sets-- Specially Defensive Amoonguss and Physically Defensive Slowbro.

Next, I chose two offensive Regenerators-- Mienshao and Tornadus-Therian. I used Life Orb mixed attacker sets for both, more Physically oriented for Mienshao and more Specially oriented for Tornadus-T.

I was using Tornadus-T, so I needed rain, which meant Politoed. I chose a defensive set to go with the general defensive nature of my team.

Last, I needed a Stealth Rock user. Spinning was less nessecary given my near immunity to hazards, so I chose Jirachi. I settled on a Specially Defensive Rain Jirachi as the set.

Playing with the team showed that Jirachi was a definite weak link, so I changed to the Sash Mamoswine recommended by Novaray.

The Team

Amoonguss (F) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 28 SAtk / 228 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Clear Smog

Amoonguss is a Specially Defensive tank. Spore is one of the best moves in the game, practically knocking an opposing pokemon out of the game. Giga Drain is healing and reliable STAB, and the SAtk EVs let it break Keldeo Subs. HP Ice hits dragons, genies, and Gliscor, allowing Amoonguss to serve as a reliable stop to Lati@s, Hydreigon, Sheer Force Landorus, and Toxic Gliscor. Clear Smog stops stat boosters, and with STAB deals a slightly better than insignificant amount of damage.

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Slowbro is a Physically Defensive tank. Scald is STAB, boosted by rain, and can criplle physical attackers with Burn. Ice Beam provides good coverage with STAB, and covers Physical dragons, genies, and Gliscor. Thunder Wave can cripple almost any Pokemon, quartering the opponents speed and giving them a 25% chance of full paralysis. Slack Off adds to Slowbro's indestructibility, and lets it PP stall moves like Stone Edge.

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SAtk / 232 Spd
Naive Nature
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mienshao is a Physically biased mixed attacker. Hi Jump Kick hits extremely hard with STAB and 125 Base Attack, and the recoil from missing is mitigated by Regenerator. U-Turn scouts and nets Regenerator recovery. Stone Edge is for coverage, despite its lackluster accuracy. Hidden Power Ice hits the usual dragons, genies and Gliscor. The Evs max Attack, outspeed 252+ Base 102s, and boost HP Ice's damage slightly.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Tornadus-T is a Specially biased mixed attacker. The mighty Hurricane cleaves through the tier, leaving few in its path. U-Turn is scouting and Regenerator recovery. Superpower smashes Steel- and Rock- types that resist the mighty Hurricane, as well as maiming the blobs. Knock Off is my choice of filler, as many Tornadus-T counters and checks hate losing their item-- Chansey and Heatran especially. Knock Off is also a "I have no clue what to do button" as it almost always leaves my opponent in a bad situation.

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Refresh
- Protect
- Toxic

Politoed is on my team for one reason-- rain. For my team, rain erases opposing weathers, negates Amoonguss and Jirachi's Fire weaknesses, powers up Slowbro's Scald and Jirachi's Water Pulse, and fixes the accuracy of Tornadus-T's mighty Hurricane and Jirachi's Thunder. My Politoed's set is geared solely towards survival. Scald deals reasonable damage after rain and STAB, as well as burning things. Refresh means my opponents attempts to Toxic Politoed to death are useless, and lets Politoed double as a status absorber. Protect stalls for Leftovers recovery, as well as Burn or Toxic damage, and scouts. Toxic helps in the weather war, and is a useful move in general.

Mamoswine (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
-Stealth Rock
-Endeavor
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard

Mamoswine was a recommended replacemant for Jirachi, and it is accomplishing much more than Jirachi ever did. It sets Stealth Rock reliably, provides even more offense against dragons and genies, and usually kills something with Endeavor. It also helps with my weakness to Sun and Breloom,

Former Member(s):

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Thunder
- Water Pulse
- Wish
- Stealth Rock

Jirachi is my teams Stealth Rocker, and glue of sorts. I used a Specially Defensive rain abuse set, but in practice Jirachi seems to be the weakest link on my team. Thunder and Water Pulse are both for rain and Serene Grace abuse. Wish is there for healing and occasional team support. Stealth Rock works well on this team, as it can force many switches if played well.

Importable:
Amoonguss (F) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 28 SAtk / 228 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Clear Smog

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SAtk / 232 Spd
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Refresh
- Protect
- Toxic

-Stealth Rock
-Endeavor
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Deglas

Welcome to Smogon! This is a very solid team and makes use of an effective Regenerator core strategy. The Slowbro / Amoonguus / Tornadus-T core is very strong and hard to break. Now looking at your team, a threat to it is Chlorophyll Venusaur. Under sunlight, Chlorophyll Venusaur outspeeds your entire team and can pack quite a punch with its standard coverage of Giga Drain and Hidden Power [Fire]. As you mentioned Jirachi is the weakest link on your team and I agree with this. For patching up the Venusaur weakness and strengthening your team in general, I suggest replacing Jirachi with an Endeavor Sash Mamoswine with a moveset of Stealth Rock / Endeavor / Earthquake / Ice Shard. Mamoswine works as a solid lead that can set up Stealth Rock at the beginning of the game, putting immediate pressure on the opponent. Endeavor works to bring the opponent down to 1 HP when Mamoswine is knocked down to its smash, after which it can proceed to pick off the opponent with priority Ice Shard. Ice Shard also serves to check Venusaur being STAB and Super Effective and also checks the multiple threats in the current metagame that are weak to Ice such as Breloom, the Therian formes, and Dragon types. It's important to use a Jolly nature on Mamoswine though it may be tempting to use Adamant, in order to outspeed Jolly Breloom. Earthquake serves as a general spammable STAB attack which is very powerful coming off of Mamoswine's massive base 130 Attack stat. In general, Mamoswine is a strong check to both Sand teams (Tyranitar, Landorus, Gliscor) and Sun teams (Ninentales, Dugtrio, Venusaur).

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!

Set:
-Stealth Rock
-Endeavor
-Earthquake
-Ice Shard

This is an epic team idea, btw; however, I'm not great at team rating, so I'll offer only small pieces of advice.

First, you really need a scarfer, to revenge kill and such. Politoed seems the most likely candidate for this role, as currently it seems to have a pretty similar role to Slowbro. However, Mienshao makes a great Scarfer that can fearlessly spam HJK and potentially clean up late; it also outspeeds many more +1 threats. Jirachi makes a decent rebenge killer, too. Politoed has a fearsome Specs set that's also quite bulky, if you opt against scarfing it.

Fake out is an awesome move on LO Mienshao, 'cause it just free damage, and I would urge you to try it.

Finally, I really like Taunt on Tornadus-T, but if Knock Off floats your boat...

EDIT: Oh, and if you run a few more speed EVs on Mienshao you can outrun unboosted Garchomp, if you're into that sort of thing.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi. Breloom sucks for this team to face, since most of your Pokemon are slow and those that do pack enough speed to outpace it won't like taking a Spore (in Tornadus-T's case) or a Mach Punch (in Mienshao's case). I like the idea of Regenerator abuse, so I won't be replacing any of them, but to help ease this problem, I'd recommend using Sleep Talk over Knock Off on Tornadus-T. This gives you a great sleep absorber and Breloom / Amoonguss counter, and besides, the last slot on Tornadus-T's movepool is mostly filler. Now, you lack a means of beating Chlorophyll sweepers (aside from using Politoed to change the weather up), and you already have a potent physical tank in the form of Slowbro, so why not use Scarf Politoed over your current defensive Politoed? With a Scarf attached to it, Politoed outspeeds and mows down the various Chlorophyll sweepers (and Stoutland!) with a fast Ice Beam (for the former) and Focus Blast / Water STAB (for the latter). Scarfing Politoed also gives you a decent revenge killer that many opposing weather teams simply have trouble dealing with.

Now, for some nitpicks. For Mienshao, I'd recommend using an EV spread of 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 232 Spe over your current EV spread and Hidden Power Ice over Grass Knot. The former change lets you outpace every non-Scarf Garchomp and Landorus, and the latter gives you a great move that can be used to snip apart Landorus (before a boost) and other dragons that have a x4 weakness to ice, assuming they don't carry a Yache Berry. Also, if you do go through with my suggestion of HP Ice over Grass Knot, use an IV spread of 30 HP / 30 Def. A summarized list of changes can be found below.

Set:

Politoed @ Choice Scarf | Drizzle
Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | 0 Atk
Hydro Pump | Surf | Ice Beam | Focus Blast / Perish Song

Nitpicks:
    • Defensive set ----> Choice Scarf set
    • 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe ----> 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 232 Spe
    • Grass Knot ----> Hidden Power Ice
    • New IV spread: 30 HP / 30 Def
    • Knock Off ----> Sleep Talk
Hope this helps. Good luck!

While I agree with the fact that chloro venu is a problem for the team, I think removing jirachi would be even more troublesome. It's your only steel, so without it you'd be much weaker to dragons and tornadus, especially given that it's a suicide mamo set. I might suggest putting mamo > mienshao with an all-out attacker LO set (ice shard / eq / icicle spear or crash / superpower or stone edge). This helps your team vs. sun while maintaining the physical presence there.

If you choose to keep mienshao, I would suggest changing its EV spread--252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe is better, since those few SpA EVs will very rarely make a difference and outspeeding even stuff like garchomp (base 102) will potentially be more valuable, and even the rare speed tie will come in handy more than a few SpA EVs. As trinitrotoluene said, I'd also suggest changing Grass Knot --> HP [ice] for gliscor, landorus(-t), garchomp, and all the dragons. HJK hits bulky waters very hard already, and if you want HP [ice] could potentially go > SE instead of GK.

I love the use of knock off on tornadus, that's actually a great idea (and I may use that in the future!). Sleep talk does have its merits, but knocking off the lefties or eviolite could be potentially game-changing--your call here. Torny looks good!

On rachi, I'd suggest Iron head > water pulse and perhaps Body Slam > Thunder. Iron head lets it paraflinch opponents, and body slam allows rachi a better chance vs. stuff outside of rain--thunder is a viable option though. In either case, the EV spread should be 236 HP (for lefties) / 252 SpD / 20 Spe with a Careful nature.

Also, I personally like bulky toed just for the survivability in the weather war, but the scarf set suggested above is viable as well. If you want to use scarf, I'd suggest a moveset of Hpump / Ice beam / fblast / encore instead.

Hope my comments helped and GL with the team!

Mamoswine over Jirachi sounds like a good idea, having a Steel has proven less useful given that Slowbro and Amoonguss handle most Dragons easily in my experience. I've tried Fake Out on Mienshao before, but it wasn't doing much in the long run. And apparently I just completely forgot about Garchomp when choosing Mienshao's Evs. I also have had little trouble with sun teams, as Amoonguss can take even HP Fire from Venusaur and Spore to knock it out of commission or force a switch. People underestimate Slowbro and Amoonguss's bulk in my experience, once Slowbro PP stalled a Victini's Bolt Strike. I still lost to parahax, but it was an amazing almost-comeback.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey. Just a clarification of my rate, and quick response to your thought on replacing Jirachi. First off, on Mienshao, add 20 EVs to either Attack or Special Attack. The EV spread on my post was 20 EVs short of 508. Also, I don't think it would be a good idea to replace Jirachi, because it is your best counter to opposing Tornadus-T, which can really rustle your jimmies if you don't have a resist for its attacks. However, if you are adamant on doing so, then replace it with something that can check Tornadus-T almost as well as Jirachi.

I once made a team similar to this myself, and I have a few tips for you.

First off, Chlorophyll Venusaur will completely decimate your team...I reccomend putting choice specs on Tornadus, and giving it Heat Wave so it can take care of Venusaur.

I might also reccomend putting choice scarf on Mienshao, as it can quickly take care of other Pokemon, and get regenerator recovery.

Tornadus-T does pose problems, but it has a very hard time switching in. Amoonguss has Spore and HP Ice, Slowbro has Ice Beam and Thunder Wave, Mienshao has Stone Edge and I am currently testing HP Ice on it, my Tornadus-T has its own Hurricane, Knock Off, and forces a speed tie anyway, and the Mamoswine I'm testing has Ice Shard and Endeavor. Switching in on Politoed is also risky, because they don't know if it has Ice Beam at first, and Rain boosted Scald is dangerous regardless. Thus, Tornadus-T has to be very careful switching in on six sixth's of my team, or it will be crippled or KO'd.

Latios has been a lesser problem in my experience, as Amoonguss can tank attacks from it easily, killing it with HP Ice if need be, stopping any Calm Minding with Clear Smog, or just using Spore. Also, I rarely encounter Psyshock, which is a free switch to Slowbro anyway.

In my experience a Scarfer is not needed, as Tornadus-T has high speed already, and most things faster than it lack the firepower to break Slowbro or Amoonguss before being crippled or KO'd, with the exceptions all being scarfers who get locked into a single move and can be walled depending on the move they get locked into. Slowbro's Thunder Wave provides great insurance as well, making opposing Scarfers lose their high speed.

UPDATE: Changed Jirachi for Mamoswine, Grass Knot for HP Ice, fixed Mienshao's Evs for Garchomp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)