OU Cores in the BW2 Metagame

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
TerraZelf Offensive Core

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
252 Atk | 252 Spe | 4 Def
Naive Nature
Thunderbolt | Zen Headbutt | U-Turn | Ice Punch

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Justified
252 Atk | 4 SDef | 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
252 Atk | 4 SDef | 252 Spe
Cool stuff, like the use of Azelf but this core is easily beaten by CB Scizor who OHKO's both with Bullet Punch. What's the reason to use Scarf Azelf over something such as Scarf Latios other then the added Speed but at the cost of bulk and power? Is there anything vital that Azelf is outspeeding that Latios cannot?

Im suppresed we haven't talked about Magnezone and Kingdra yet. I've been using these two Pokemon on my team recently and they are great together. They are good for countering rain teams and getting rid of steel types.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Rash Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor

Everyone who is running a rain team knows how deadly Kingdra can be because more than likely out speeds everything on their team. With Kingdra's STAB Hydro Pump you can expect a 2HKO to majority of your Pokemon unless resist water types. Draco Meteor can get rid of physical attackers and even Rotom-W with Stealth Rock damage. Only Jellicent and Blisset can take a Draco Meteor and retalite back with Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp. One way to counter is to Toxic stall Kingdra. With its Life Orb and Toxic Damage you can limit its sweep on your team. Ferrothorn and Jellicent can easily stop Kingdra in the rain as the both can sponge Kingdra's STAB moves. That's why Magnzone can get rid of these two Pokemon.
Chesto Rest Kingdra would be a nice alternative, just let the enemy provide the Rain and you're done, you can set up in front of both Jellicent and Blissey since rest + chesto will take care of status, and just let Mag take care of Ferro and Skarmory (who doesn't take a +1 waterfall under rain very well)

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is it time to reveal another one of my favorite offensive cores? Yes, it is.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band | Sand Stream
Adamant | 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Crunch | Pursuit | Stone Edge | Superpower

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf | Justified
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | 2 Atk / 30 Def
Hydro Pump | Secret Sword | Hidden Power | Surf

Latios @ Choice Specs | Levitate
Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | 0 Atk
Draco Meteor | Surf | Psyshock | Trick

This core of three revolves around the powerful attacks the three can throw around, as well as the incredible synergy their typings are responsible for. What are the only Pokemon that can stop Scarf Keldeo from ripping teams apart? Celebi, Starmie, Latios, Latias, Slowbro / Slowking, Amoonguss. What do they all have in common? A vulnerability to CBtar's Pursuit and Crunch. After a Pursuit / Crunch from Tyranitar, the aforementioned Pokemon should either be KOed or in critical condition, unable to take an attack from Keldeo.

The third member of this core, Latios, is meant to serve as a more reliable counter to Amoonguss, as well as a wall-breaker and check to opposing Keldeo. It also helps that Latios gives trouble to sun teams, many of which cannot take a Specs-boosted Draco Meteor once their Heatran and / or Forretress have been weakened, a task which Tyranitar and Keldeo excel at. Sheer Force RP Landorus, a threat to Tyranitar and Keldeo, is also handily checked by Latios.

Now, despite how good this core looks, it does have its fair share of problems. For instance, offensive LO Volcarona is public enemy numero uno. It can grab a boost against Latios and Keldeo locked into the wrong move and proceed to wreak havoc against the core with its Fire / Bug STAB, and if it opts to use Giga Drain, then Keldeo cannot be used as a counter. Bulky variants can actually stomach a non-boosted Hydro Pump at +1 and continue to set itself up. SD Lucario is another problem if Keldeo and Latios have been weakened, since it can run through the core after a boost and prior damage on the two. Opposing Dragons are also a problem, necessitating the use of a Steel-type to help beat them down. Offensive SD Scizor is a problem if it can set itself up.

As for teammates that support this core, Heatran seems to have worked as a great partner, since it deals with the issue of Volcarona, Scizor, and Dragon-types rather effectively. Also, if you use certain Heatran sets, then Heatran can also be used to provide SR support. Powerful late-game sweepers, such as SD Techniloom, Sheer Force Landorus, and Terrakion among others, also appreciate the strength this core brings, allowing them to clean up house in the end-game. All in all, while this core may have some problems, I think that it is a rather solid offensive core that does well against the majority of what is thrown at it.

Is it time to reveal another one of my favorite offensive cores? Yes, it is.
This core looks very solid, but you still have Celebi issues. The standard Sp. Def Celebi can U-turn on Ttar for sizable damage, can take a Draco from Latios and Recover it off, and can laugh at anything Keldeo does. Though, Heatran would solve these issues if said Celebi is lacking Earth Power (which Sp. Defensive variants usually don't run).
252SpAtk Choice Specs Latios (Neutral) Draco Meteor vs 252HP/0SpDef Celebi (Neutral): 84% - 100% (343 - 405 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 1% chance to OHKO.

EDIT: Lol, I thought your Ttar was Scarfed, ignore the uturn bit

LilOu

PO poopyhead
This core looks very solid, but you still have Celebi issues. The standard Sp. Def Celebi can U-turn on Ttar for sizable damage, can take a Draco from Latios and Recover it off, and can laugh at anything Keldeo does. Though, Heatran would solve these issues if said Celebi is lacking Earth Power (which Sp. Defensive variants usually don't run).
252SpAtk Choice Specs Latios (Neutral) Draco Meteor vs 252HP/0SpDef Celebi (Neutral): 84% - 100% (343 - 405 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. 1% chance to OHKO.

EDIT: Lol, I thought your Ttar was Scarfed, ignore the uturn bit
Yeah, haha you confused with the scarf. Just some calcs so everybody can see that Banded T-tar works really nice in this core (my favorite too)

252 Atk Choice Band Tyranitar (+Atk) Pursuit vs 252 HP/0 Def Celebi: 109.16% - 128.47%
Guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Tyranitar (+Atk) Pursuit vs 252 HP/0 Def Latias: 131.87% - 155.77%
Guaranteed OHKO

This calcs are made with the switch out of both pokes*

Espeon @

Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Baton Pass

Lucario @

Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Bullet Punch/Crunch

These two mons work amazing together. Dual screens is actually a viable strategy in this meta and is incredibly underused, it can do amazing stuff like completely trolling a rain team with light screen and making your team substantially more bulky on both sides of the spectrum. Dual screens are actually easier to set up than you may think, as it easily is set up on walls, I can often set up multiple screens a game. The movesets are pretty simple, dual screens and light clay for long screens, pyschic for stab and baton pass to escape pursuit. Baton pass also lets you abuse lucarios justified ability to great affect, switching into pursuits to grab a free boost. Lucarios set is standard, bullet punch for if your team stuggles more with terrakion and gengar, or crunch for jellicent (im not a fan of ice punch). Lucario greatly appreciates the screens making setting up much easier and making him actually "bulky". Other members I like to pair with this core is dnite or scarfmence, as dnite becomes a behemoth behind screens and mence can run through teams and be less likely to be revenged, they also have great synergy with lucario, and benefit from espeons magic bounce. If you wanna try something different give this little core a shot!

Espeon @

Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Baton Pass

Lucario @

Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Bullet Punch/Crunch

These two mons work amazing together. Dual screens is actually a viable strategy in this meta and is incredibly underused, it can do amazing stuff like completely trolling a rain team with light screen and making your team substantially more bulky on both sides of the spectrum. Dual screens are actually easier to set up than you may think, as it easily is set up on walls, I can often set up multiple screens a game. The movesets are pretty simple, dual screens and light clay for long screens, pyschic for stab and baton pass to escape pursuit. Baton pass also lets you abuse lucarios justified ability to great affect, switching into pursuits to grab a free boost. Lucarios set is standard, bullet punch for if your team stuggles more with terrakion and gengar, or crunch for jellicent (im not a fan of ice punch). Lucario greatly appreciates the screens making setting up much easier and making him actually "bulky". Other members I like to pair with this core is dnite or scarfmence, as dnite becomes a behemoth behind screens and mence can run through teams and be less likely to be revenged, they also have great synergy with lucario, and benefit from espeons magic bounce. If you wanna try something different give this little core a shot!
Psyshock over psychic

Silk scarf over life orb

Y is there baton pass when there is nothin to pass use a diff move

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
@ TheStriker

Psyshock is more useful in the current metagame to hit Tentacruel and CM Keldeo, sure, but with Psyshock you lose to Conkeldurr and can't touch OU's array of physically bulky Pokemon. It's a matter of opinion, really.

Why would you ever use Silk Scarf on Lucario? The entire point of using SD Lucario is to spam that insanely powerful (2HKOes Skarmory!) LO Close Combat. With Silk Scarf you lose a ton of power, even on Extremespeed.

+2 252+ Atk Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 220-259 (65.86 - 77.54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 286-337 (85.62 - 100.89%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario ExtremeSpeed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 266-315 (88.96 - 105.35%)
+2 252+ Atk Silk Scarf Lucario ExtremeSpeed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-T: 246-290 (82.27 - 96.98%)

Baton Pass avoids Pursuit, meaning Espeon doesn't get destroyed by CBTar and instead Lucario gets +1 (on top of the eventual SD boost) in exchange for 16% max damage.

Here's an offensive core that's great on rain teams.

Choice Specs
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 Hp
Timid

Thunder
Volt Switch
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Ice

Specs Thunder Jolteon is so underrated on rain teams; besides being the fastest mon in the tier, it also has a good 110 Sp. Atk stat from which he can fire off Thunders with ease, which wrecks everything on a Rain team not named Ferrothorn. (Even a 252/252 Calm Rotom-W is always 2HKOd). If Ferrothorn is gone, though, it's basically game as not even Tornadus-t can outspeed Jolteon.

Choice Scarf
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 Hp
Timid

Surf
Hydro Pump
Secred Sword
Hidden Power Ice

I think we already know the beauty of this beast. She makes an excellent duo with Jolteon, as she takes out Ground-types like Gliscor, Landorus-t, etc. that threaten Jolteon, while Jolteon takes out opposing bulky Waters.

I've been using this offensive core that's a little bit counter-intuitive, but it actually works surprisingly well...Tyranideo?

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature (+Atk., -SpA.)
EV's: 180 HP, 252 Atk, 76 Spe
-Pursuit
-Stone Edge
-Crunch
-Superpower

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Trait: Justified
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
-Hydro Pump
-Surf
-Secret Sword
-Icy Wind

It's a pretty simple concept, really. Keldeo's main counters (Jellicent, Lati@s, Celebi) are very vulnerable to being checkmated by CB Pursuit T-tar. After those Pokes are gone, there is hardly anything that will enjoy eating specs Keldeo's dual stabs. The nuclear power of Specs Keldeo also helps you make rain teams tread a little more carefully around you. You still have to carry stuff that can beat Tentacruel, Amoonguss, etc., but the point is, this is a cool offensive combination and even without the rain Keldeo can be a very viable Pokemon (although I'm pretty sure a lot of people know that already).

Tyranitar + Keldeo is not counter intuitive at all lol, everybody is aware of its power at this point. It has been suggested 2 or 3 times in this thread already I think.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tyranitar + Keldeo is not counter intuitive at all lol, everybody is aware of its power at this point. It has been suggested 2 or 3 times in this thread already I think.
Yep, it was mentioned on this page, in fact. It's a great pair, but I think it's pretty well known at this point.

Yeah lol definitely should've looked at the thread a little more. I suppose at the very least I found something that's good. Definitely will have to try Scarf Keldeo+ Specs Latios as well

Been wanting to get some opinions about this core for awhile, may aswell post it here

Latios (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Surf

Terrakion @ Salac Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Volcarona (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 60 Def / 252 SAtk / 196 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Obviously it needs rapid spin support for volcarona, so top offensive threats for the team are scarfed terrakion tho it cant spam close combat or stone edge leaving it to predicting, and banded scizor, tho he can`t do much to volcarona, but volcarona`s terrible defense often makes it hard to come in and stop threats. Thus the best spinner is normally tentacruel, or switching latios for latias, as it does the same thing with more bulk, but less power.
Volcarona`s evs and movespread let him function late game like gensect but without the +2 speed, life orb can be used over lum berry so at +1 volcarona can OHKO tornadus and latios with stealth rocks

What do you guys think?

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- ExtremeSpeed

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk

Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Scald

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar​

The team being built around Lucario, Jellicent and Heatran counter his weaknesses effectively. However, choosing the other teammates have been problematic...do you guys believe it being a problem with the Core or the members Im choosing?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
What do you guys think?

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- ExtremeSpeed

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb

Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Scald

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar​

The team being built around Lucario, Jellicent and Heatran counter his weaknesses effectively. However, choosing the other teammates have been problematic...do you guys believe it being a problem with the Core or the members Im choosing?
Right off the bat I see a pretty huge weakness to Breloom. Maybe adding a physically defensive Celebi would help fix that.

What do you guys think?

I wouldn't say it's a problem with the core, but it's not really helping itself out much with the main threat it fails to stand up against - Breloom, evidently. I don't think just having the remaining members of your team patch up a weakness that your core universally has works, personally - that goes for any core - so I'd say replacing something within would probably be for the best.

I'd say Jellicent is probably the most replaceable of the three, with Heatran doing a well enough job with spreading burns as Jellicent would (it lacks a recovery move, but Leftovers and Protect give it some staying power anyway). To help with Breloom, I'd suggest either a Latios over Jellicent for the power, or maybe an LO Tank Latias in the same spot.

Still works together well with Lucario, and both are able to take Breloom down relatively well - LO Tank Latias can probably do this better, having a little more bulk than Latios - and heal off damage that it takes.

If you're adamant on keeping Jellicent for some reason, though I don't see why you would, changing your Heatran to a more offensive set - well, anything with Timid and max Speed investment - means you're able to outspeed Breloom and OHKO with insert Fire-type move here. Not a reliable way of beating it by any means, but it's a start.

I see where your coming from, but is adding a lets say Choice Scarf Latios along with this core not enough to stop breloom?

It would help, but you'd be better off either working Lati@s into that three-member core or making sure there are at least two other Pokémon on the team that can handle Breloom well. Having to rely on Lati@s to take care of Breloom on the benefit of an entire core is a little too risky, don't you think. Either make sure there are a couple of options or replace a weak link inside it. With Jellicent and Heatran in that core so similar (ish), it seems more efficient. But just having a Lati in the team would be a great help, yes - just make sure it's enough.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Right off the bat I see a pretty huge weakness to Breloom. Maybe adding a physically defensive Celebi would help fix that.
Celebi and Lati@s are really good counters for breloom but if you play right you can get a SD before loom comes out and OHKO with E-speed or KO without boosts if it is weakened.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Breloom and Lati@s are really good counters for breloom but if you play right you can get a SD before loom comes out and OHKO with E-speed or KO without boosts if it is weakened.
Yeah Lati@s can be a fantastic counter to Breloom, I just prefer Celebi because it doesn't mind being Spored, nor does it mind taking the occasional Focus Punch, whereas Latios does not. Either one is fine, really. And yeah, Extremespeed from Lucario can definitely be a way to deal with Breloom, but only after a Swords Dance or prior damage, which is never a good thing to rely on.

Just wanted to mention that while Tyranitar + Keldeo has been around for a while, Tyranitar + RP Landorus is fairly uncommon yet absolutely brutal. Lando has two safe counters -- Latias & SpDef Celebi. Tyranitar completely rapes both of them. Basically this post is an attempt to raise awareness for CBtar + Scarf/Specs Keld + RP Lando, which is one of the strongest offensive cores in the metagame right now. It doesn't have the greatest of defensive synergy, however (Tornadus-T completely destroys it, for instance), so I like to back it up with a strong defensive 3-mon core. One of my better teams was CBtar/Specs or Scarf Keld/RP Lando/Scarf or SpD Jira/Amoonguss/LO Latias, to give an example. Give it a shot!

^I've tried a very similar set up (I like a more defensive backbone though, so I've got Slowbro instead of LO Latias for physical attackers and Scarf Latios in place of scarf Keldeo for a better "catch-all" revenge killer) and I can attest to the effectiveness of CBtar + RP Lando.

Your team seems pretty weak to Terrakion, now that I think about it. None of your mons can switch safely into it. How do you play around him?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)