OU Stats - December 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Return of the Usage King
Haha as soon as Genesect left to Ubers, Scizor climbed right back up to claim the title King of Usage. Oh Bug-Steel types....

The Forgotten Warrior
Lucario at 37? 6.254%?
That's disgusting. I personally can attest and had (...Showdown you fail me sometimes ;_;) Replays of Agility Lucario and SD Lucario sweeping teams with ease. I was hoping top 25ish...sigh. It's just so hard for him I guess to compete against Terrakion...although Lucario does have his definite advantages...and flaws.

King of the Dragons
I am happy to see that at least one of my favorite Pokemon is able to maintain a position in the top 5 most used Pokemon. His usage actually went up....by like 0.3% haha

I has a Light Ball
| 135 | Pikachu | 5653 | 0.588% | 4502 | 0.579% |
Uh. I'm disgusted. Uber Quality I'm telling ya.

I mustache you a question...
Jellicent actually fell down 3% from November....that's kinda odd. I'm using him right now and when paired with CM Latias, they can handle Rain pretty well. I've faced players with above average+great rankings who would run various Rain styled teams from stall to offense. Jellicent definitely was a key player in assisting me throughout those battles. While Jellicent doesn't like Torn-T too much (But I mean...who does) Keldeo, Politoed, Gyarados, and other Water Types can only look at its massive 'stache and wander what to do.

I'm climbin' back
From 9th to 7th. Not too shabby. I don't Ttar will be overtaking Politoed and Rain anytime soon but maybe we might see a little revival??

I hate Sexism.
| 46 | Latias | 51380 | 5.343% | 40249 | 5.175% |
Is this for real? Come on. Latias definitely fits better into this current Meta. She plays such a nice Specially Defensive Wall/Pivot/Late-Game Sweeper.
Honestly, could someone show me the major advantages that Latios has that he can take #13 while she dwells nearby 50?

...What?
| 25 | Infernape | 78792 | 8.194% | 63837 | 8.208% |
| 26 | Keldeo | 72344 | 7.523% | 55916 | 7.190% |
Keldeo is going through Suspect. Keldeo fits Sand, Hail and Rain (the most dominant weather).
Infernape....what?
IMO, this metagame can't get any weirder ._.

| 80 | Electivire | 14064 | 1.463% | 11227 | 1.444% |
| 86 | Whimsicott | 13303 | 1.383% | 10958 | 1.409% |

*slams head on desk*. Shitty noobs
Electivire, I agree with. But Whimsicott has a usable niche as one of the best SubSeeders in OU thanks to Prankster. Slap on Stun Spore for the troll factor and Taunt to keep Pokemon like Jellicent at bay and you are good.

EDIT: I'll say it before and I'll say it again. Usage =/= power or lack thereof. Look at Cofagrigus's usage in UU.

DOUBLE EDIT: Deoxys-D: #32. Really should be getting more usage. Basically makes HO work, just like Crobat in UU.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
Electivire, I agree with. But Whimsicott has a usable niche as one of the best SubSeeders in OU thanks to Prankster. Slap on Stun Spore for the troll factor and Taunt to keep Pokemon like Jellicent at bay and you are good.

EDIT: I'll say it before and I'll say it again. Usage =/= power or lack thereof. Look at Cofagrigus's usage in UU.
SubSeed is not an especially good strategy. So many Pokémon don't care about it... Ferrothorn dislikes Taunt but can simply spam Gyro Ball until Whimsicott is dead. Not to mention that it actually likes being paralyzed so that Gyro Ball is more powerful. Celebi can simply spam Psychic/Hidden Power Fire, until Whimsicott cannot make more Substitutes, and if it's affected by Stun Spore, no problem, Natural Cure solves that... Seriously, Whimsicott doesn't even has the bulk to take repeated hits.

So much blind hatred for zard and evire... are these people for real?

Lando-I that low makes no sense. The special variant with rock polish / focus blast / earth power / hp ice is insane.

I still find Infernape to be competent and versatile enough to warrant a slot on most of my teams. It may be outclassed in stats but its movepool is among the best for OU offence imo.

Glad to see that ttar is still used so much. Hippo has its own niche but I'll almost always use ttar over him. Just wish ttar would actually hit a fire blast / stone edge for once...

Okay seriously why are we wasting time discussing Electivire, Charizard, and Whimsicott again? Yes, they are irrelavent in OU. Yes, they aren't very good. I hate to be kinda rude and minimod but we don't need to waste time discussing these three every single time the usage statistics come out.

Regardless, I'm a little suprised that Jellicient is only #36. Jellicient is pretty much the best thing to take down Keldeo, as its STABs literally do nothing against it. To hit it, Keldeo pretty much has to run a specific Hidden Power that in turn makes it struggle against Dragonite or something. It is notoriosuly difficult to take down imo and the only Dark-type users in the tier (Tyranitar and to an extent Weavile) are pretty much useless when they get hit by Will-o-wisp. Most Rain teams tend to struggle - I remember I faced a few Jellicients where it just straight up walled my whole team since I had lost my Jolteon and some other member, which was incredibly saddening as sometimes I just watched it spam Recover as I killed myself with Life Orb recoil, and one time Hail was involved too. Its really hard to beat at spinblocking, as honestly Starmie doesn't do tht good against it unless it has Thunder (Thunderbolt isn't doing much to it) I suck at using Jellicient admittedly, but it is pretty underrated and I'm suprised more people aren't using it to take down the supposed suspect Keldeo.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
^ thank you. (2 posts up) im too slow XD

but for infernape... what niche does it hold over something better like keldeo? In rain, Flare Blitz/Fire Punch is useless, and then all it has is Close Combat, which makes it even MORE frail. Keldeo on the other hand has its STAB Hydro Pump boosted by the most ubiquitous weather in the tier. Furthermore, has same speed tier and has way better SpA.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
| 1 | Scizor | 184871 | 19.225% | 148224 | 19.058% |
At one point I used to hate Scizor because I never could seem to be able to fit him on a team, however now that I've gotten used to him on my current team I can see why he's #1 in usage. Gratz buddy.

| 20 | Cloyster | 85567 | 8.898% | 66178 | 8.509% |
Took me by surprise. Cloyster is a monster sweeper, and I definitely think he deserves this much usage. Don't see him to often though.... so it's kind of strange he's 20.

| 46 | Latias | 51380 | 5.343% | 40249 | 5.175% |
Why why why why WHY! Latias has gone up a whopping 1 rank since November, even when big boy Genesect was in the tier. This just proves my point that offence is definitely favored over defence, and that's why Latios is 13. Quite pathetic in my opinion. I've found so much more success with Latias with her CM sets and her Tank Life Orb set. She's so amazing in this meta game, and she's an amazing counter to Keldeo and even Terrakion. Latios can't take rain boosted or sun boosted hits like Latias can, which is why I see Latias as being a much more effective user of Life Orb in this weather dominate meta. USE HER MORE!

| 47 | Celebi | 49069 | 5.103% | 40309 | 5.183% |
....... I'm really starting to realize why poor Keldeo is being suspected now. Because all of it's amazing counters are not being used. Latias and Celebi are some of Keldeo's best counters, and yet no one uses them. Since Keldeo's usage has gone up, these should have gone up just as much. With Gene gone, Celebi can really shine with it's awesome supporting move pool and great defensive typing, yet no one seems to see that. Sure Jellicent does an even better job at walling Keldeo, but Latias and Celebi can threaten it with their respectable STAB moves. Sorry Keldeo, blame your suspect test on the low usage of these guys.

I'll say it before and I'll say it again. Usage =/= power or lack thereof. Look at Cofagrigus's usage in UU.
Truest statement I've ever heard. The fact that the top ten Pokemon on the usage list are almost all offensive juggernauts tells you something. Ferrothorn is an exception however because it's....well Ferrothorn.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
I still find Infernape to be competent and versatile enough to warrant a slot on most of my teams. It may be outclassed in stats but its movepool is among the best for OU offence imo.
Infernape has a really good movepool but suffers from a serious case from four-moveslot syndrome. I must admit that I've used him on the past, and seriously wanted that it had 5 moveslots to fit Flare Blitz/Close Combat/Mach Punch/U-Turn/Stone Edge at same time... nowadays, there are better physical sweepers like Terrakion (even for sun teams, Terrakion is a better choice than Infernape, most of time), that don't suffer from rain. Actually, Fire-types in general aren't very good, with few exceptions, such as Heatran, which appreciates the fact that rain doesn't impede him from killing things like Ferrothorn and Scizor, and doesn't hinder him from doing his job as a Dragon killer.

^ thank you. (2 posts up) im too slow XD

but for infernape... what niche does it hold over something better like keldeo? In rain, Flare Blitz/Fire Punch is useless, and then all it has is Close Combat, which makes it even MORE frail. Keldeo on the other hand has its STAB Hydro Pump boosted by the most ubiquitous weather in the tier. Furthermore, has same speed tier and has way better SpA.
Keldeo is of course better overall. I don't think there's much room to debate that. Still, Infernape has many good sets, each with decent coverage. It's hard to predict and it can KO problematic threats like Heatran. Iron fist mach punch also comes in handy. It may not be a great pokemon, and it probably doesn't deserve the amount of usage it's getting but it's very usable.

IMO both landorus forms should be in top twenty, landorus-I maybe in top 10.
I don't think both forms will ever break the Top 10. Even though Landorus-T can stop a boosting physical sweeper but with rain being the most centralized in the OU I just don't see any form handling rain teams.

I don't think both forms will ever break the Top 10. Even though Landorus-T can stop a boosting physical sweeper but with rain being the most centralized in the OU I just don't see any form handling rain teams.
Therian isn't meant to handle rain teams. He has a very important niche in being the most viable counter to the most fearsome physical sweepers in the tier, including but not limited to Terrakion, Breloom, Scizor, and Conkeldurr (if anyone still even bothers with him).

Therian isn't meant to handle rain teams. He has a very important niche in being the most viable counter to the most fearsome physical sweepers in the tier, including but not limited to Terrakion, Breloom, Scizor, and Conkeldurr (if anyone still even bothers with him).
Tha'ts what I meant, I just didn't say that clearly enough. But from the stats in December Therian doesn't seem to have that big of a niche in the metagame. I might be wrong though.

LOL. Looks like Swamp Rocket and I are finding it hard to believe Jellicent is kinda underused, while Gary2346 and I find it insane that Latias is very underused.
People let's focus more on Pokemon that have amazing potential.
Enough of Charizard, Whimsicott, and Electivire. And Yes. I was kidding about Pikachu too...

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, my talk about the Trashy Trio was just me screaming to myself about how shitty the OU Ladder is. There was no need to spark up a discussion about that. Now let's move on.

That said, I'm surprised at how low Latias is as well. It's great in this meta and can serve as a very effective pivot. It also makes for a great checkto Keldeo and Thundy-T, which Is simply awesome, and to some extent it can check Reun. It's really good and deserves much more usage. And I mean a lot more. (Looks at kids who think of Latias as inferior to her brother simply because she doesn't have his offensive power)

Jelli is also surprisingly underused. It's a great wall. It also walls Keldeo, as mentioned earlier, which is enough for it to warrant usage. It can burn physical attackers and such, and more. It was a great fit on my Sand Team (surprisingly) and with Ferro it did well. I'm surprised.

I still don't understand why Reuniclus and Celebi are still so lowly used.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
To address all of the Keldeo counter posts, perhaps Tornadus-T is why they aren't used so much. It blows Celebi and Amoonguss away with Hurricane, Latias doesn't enjoy it or U-turn, and Jellicent... should take Torn-T on relatively well actually. It's sort of like how Excadrill partly contributed to Thundurus-I's brokenness - Thundy could be stopped by certain Scarfers... but Excadrill made them a liability since it killed them off.

To address all of the Keldeo counter posts, perhaps Tornadus-T is why they aren't used so much. It blows Celebi and Amoonguss away with Hurricane, Latias doesn't enjoy it or U-turn, and Jellicent... should take Torn-T on relatively well actually. It's sort of like how Excadrill partly contributed to Thundurus-I's brokenness - Thundy could be stopped by certain Scarfers... but Excadrill made them a liability since it killed them off.
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Jellicent: 218-257 (54.09 - 63.77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 220+ SpD Jellicent: 164-192 (40.59 - 47.52%) -- 6.64% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It can do the job, but you'd have to be careful not to get worn down.

252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Jellicent: 218-257 (54.09 - 63.77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus-T Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 220+ SpD Jellicent: 164-192 (40.59 - 47.52%) -- 6.64% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It can do the job, but you'd have to be careful not to get worn down.
Well how can Jellicent retailate back? Most run Shadow Ball or Scald it can't really threaten Tornadus-T at all besides Will-O-Wisp and the not so common Ice Beam which 2HKOs Tornadus.

Well how can Jellicent retailate back? Most run Shadow Ball or Scald it can't really threaten Tornadus-T at all besides Will-O-Wisp and the not so common Ice Beam which 2HKOs Tornadus.
Scald does a solid chuck of damage in the rain: 51.17 - 60.2%

Factor in rocks, and you are at 76%-85%, there is about a 50-50 shot that 2 life orb hits will end up killing Tornadus in combination.

80 | Electivire | 14064 | 1.463% | 11227 | 1.444% |
| 118 | Meloetta | 7380 | 0.767% | 5816 | 0.748% |

A lot of people are still harping about Keldeo being so low but this takes things to the extreme. Meloetta is probably the best fit rain offense has to beat opposing rain teams and can be incredibly useful in so many situations (Lol sleep hax). A lot of people blame its drop to UU for having it be so low but Evire is RU and has nearly double meloetta's usage. Evire doesn't even have a slight niche in the metagame aside from dealing with noobs that never heard of motor drive. There is no excuse for this. Let us start a revolution. Get the torches, anything just stop this madness.

44 | Metagross | 52352 | 5.444% | 43279 | 5.565%
50 | Reuniclus | 39309 | 4.088% | 30793 | 3.959%

A lot of people area also freaking out on Metagross>Landorus. They are kinda different pokemon though even though Landorus is much better than Metagross is most aspects (almost all). Metagross and Reuniclus are both hard hitting, slow attackers. Reuniclus is a lot better IMO due to Trick Room screwing up a majority of the metagame and Steel is a horrible offensive typing in this rain meta (metagross beats torn-t though). Reuniclus is still better than Metagross though.

and especially Garchomp being setup bait for Cloyster since the only way Garchomp can OHKO Cloyster outside of gimmicks is with a sun-boosted Fire Blast, which isn't something you're going to see often in this metagame.
The CS set, maybe, but you have to look out for LO SD sets, Adamant SD sets, and CB sets which can all one-shot Cloyster after SR damage

252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 172-203 (71.36 - 84.23%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 187-221 (77.59 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Garchomp Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cloyster: 196-232 (81.32 - 96.26%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Of course, with Choice Scarf and Jolly being the most used item and nature for Garchomp (35.126% and 69.727% respectively) I wouldn't imagine you'd have to worry about that much, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)