Gen 1 RMT RBY OU: Tanklax

Cloyster is really only a good switch-in to normals because it rests. If lapras runs rest it's sacrificing another important move. Cloyster can also just clamp to cover all their options, whereas lapras needs to predict.

i did forget about lapras taking slams marginally better but i still stand by everything else i said.

also i apologize for calling you a goof but it kind of seemed to me like you were just being pedantic which was irritating. if you'll notice what i said was "full wrap teams/teams focused on wrap" and all i meant by that was

full wrap: teams with like 5 or 6 wrappers that are pretty gimmicky but people still use them.

focused on wrap: essentially what you are referring to as "wrap heavy," there are several wrappers and wrap is probably the main form of offense/the win condition.

however i certainly think there is a distinct difference in the way you play your team and more specifically your wrappers when you jump from using one wrapper or a wrapper + cloyster to having all three (or more). traditionally (as far as i know) people have referred to teams with three or more wrappers AS "wrap teams" BECAUSE of that distinction and i am not the one that chose name i am sorry but yes there is a bit of a distinction in play style. of course there is no strict wrap team/non-wrap team "binary," it's just when someone says "wrap team" you generally know what they are talking about i would say.

@Dre: if cloyster has clamp and you can get it in without having it paralyzed or you can get in on a surf/blizzard/eq/double switch, indubitably cloyster is the best thing for scaring the normals off or taking them on one on one. i dont think not having rest makes it "not good" at its job but having rest certainly helps with switching into body slams and i suppose more than any other dedicated normal-type switchin it can "afford" to have rest. i would never want to put it over anything except hyper beam though and hyper beam is pretty handy.

Hyper beam is less important when you have clamp. I run clamp blizzard explosion rest. This can fulfill a lot of roles in one set. If something needs to be hit physically, I just clamp them and go to snorlax or something like that. If worse comes to worst he can just boom.

I find that on wrap teams you need something like snorlax to capitalise on your control and dent things. Otherwise I feel your control is for nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)