Dugtrio (BW2 Revamp) [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

elodin

the burger
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender

trio

[Overview]

<p>As the only fully-evolved user of Arena Trap, Dugtrio possesses an important niche in the OU metagame as an effective trapper and revenge killer. It performs both roles really well due to its blazing Speed and good offensive movepool. However, Dugtrio's mediocre base Attack holds it back because it lacks the power to break through bulkier Pokemon, which are commonly found in the OU environment. Dugtrio's terrible defenses also mean that it won't be able to take even the weakest priority move, and despite its very high Speed, Choice Scarf users can easily put an end to it. The transition to BW2 has turned OU into a much more offensive metagame, and there are many threats out there begging to be trapped by Dugtrio. Don't let this Pokemon's bad overall stats hold you back, because it sure can turn the tides of a match.</p>

[SET]
name: Trapper
move 1: Reversal
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge
move 4: Stealth Rock / Memento / Sucker Punch
item: Focus Sash
ability: Arena Trap
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Reversal Dugtrio is an effective trapper and revenge killer. With threats such as Terrakion, Volcarona, and Jirachi around every corner, Dugtrio's ability and movepool can be quite handy, generally putting an end to the aforementioned Pokemon. However, Dugtrio's greatest selling point is its ability to easily defeat common weather inducers; Ninetales and most Tyranitar fall victim to Dugtrio, and it can also deal significant damage to Politoed. Removing the opponent's weather can easily swing the match in your team's favor.</p>

<p>A full-powered Reversal is Dugtrio's strongest move even after factoring in Earthquake's STAB boost, and its main use is to shut down Tyranitar and Terrakion as well as dealing a nice amount of damage to offensive Politoed. Earthquake is Dugtrio's most powerful STAB move and its strongest choice when at full HP. Its main use is to defeat Ninetales and Heatran, but it is also a great move to use against other common threats such as Jirachi and Tentacruel. Stone Edge is a great coverage move that defeats Volcarona and deals nice damage to Flying-types, which avoid Arena Trap. The last slot depends on what your team needs the most. Stealth Rock can be set up easily while Dugtrio's Focus Sash is intact, giving your team a nice advantage. However, Memento is also a great option to cripple whatever switches into Dugtrio after it kills what it's supposed to, and provides a nice setup opportunity for one of its teammates. Sucker Punch can be used as well, and it is a strong priority move that helps against Pokemon such as Latios.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is standard, giving max Speed and Attack. Lowering Dugtrio's HP IV to 26 allows it to reach 2% HP after two Seismic Tosses from Chansey and Blissey, giving it a full-powered Reversal. As another option, you can keep the 31 IVs in HP and add 12 EVs into HP so that Dugtrio has 1 HP after two Seismic Tosses and Stealth Rock damage. Endure is a nice option in the last slot, allowing Dugtrio to run a different item, such as Fighting Gem, as well as ensuring it survives any attack with 1 HP regardless of hazards. Substitute gives you more control over Reversal, which can be really useful against the likes of Chansey, Blissey, and Ferrothorn. Unfortunately, both Chansey and Blissey are able to stall Dugtrio out, and most experienced players won't let it hit 1 HP. Hone Claws is Dugtrio's only Attack-boosting move, and can be greatly useful against Pokemon Choice-locked into Electric-type moves. Shadow Claw is a nice option to defeat Gengar sans prediction while still hitting Latios, and Rock Slide is a safer option than Stone Edge is if Volcarona is really troublesome.</p>

<p>This set's best use is on weather teams that want a safe way to remove the opponent's weather inducer. It works best on sun because it traps Heatran, Terrakion, and Tyranitar, three huge threats to almost every sun team. It is also great in rain as Dugtrio has an easy time defeating Tyranitar and Ninetales, the two other common weather inducers. Keeping entry hazards off your side of the field allows Dugtrio to switch in with its Focus Sash intact, so Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce support greatly enhances its effectiveness.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Choice Band set is Dugtrio's most viable other option, turning it into a strong and threatening revenge killer right off the bat. This is actually the only set that always defeats Blissey one-on-one, which is pretty important. Unlike other Choice-locked Pokemon, Dugtrio avoids predictions due to Arena Trap. Dugtrio can also make use of some other items, such as Life Orb and Expert Belt. Life Orb allows Dugtrio to hit harder and doesn't turn it into setup bait like Choice Band, while Expert Belt can be used to fake a Choice Item; it scores an OHKO on Chople Berry Tyranitar most of the time, and also hits Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Chansey hard. A Choice Scarf set can also be used to overcome enemy Choice Scarf users, such as Terrakion and Heatran, and some +1 Speed Pokemon, such as Volcarona, with hazards on your side of the field, and to pull off quick Mementos late-game for a teammate to sweep. However, without Life Orb or Choice Band, Dugtrio will lack the strength to KO many important threats.</p>

<p>Aerial Ace can be used to remove Virizion, Breloom, and Heracross. However, this move has almost no use outside of these threats. You can also use Toxic to cripple common Dugtrio switch-ins, such as Hippowdon, Politoed, and Dragonite. Hidden Power Ice is a bit gimmicky, but it allows Dugtrio to break Gliscor's Substitutes, which can sometimes be useful. Because Dugtrio is a Pokemon that itches for additional strength, running an Adamant nature is viable, although you'll miss the Speed boost from a Jolly nature greatly when trying to defeat Starmie, Keldeo, and Terrakion.</p>

[Checks And Counters]

<p>By definition, Dugtrio has no counters if it is revenge killing grounded enemies, because counters need to switch in. Although it easily defeats common threats, Dugtrio struggles against most OU Pokemon due to its low defenses and lackluster base Attack.</p>

<p>Skamory, Forretress, and Cloyster can lay down Spikes while Dugtrio can't do much in return, and Cloyster can also set up Shell Smash. Mamoswine and Weavile can easily KO Dugtrio with priority Ice Shard, and the latter also packs a strong Pursuit if Dugtrio tries to switch out, though both have to watch out for Reversal. Azumarill easily defeats Dugtrio with priority Aqua Jet. Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate can avoid Arena Trap and Earthquake, which means Dugtrio will have troubles with them. Two prime examples of this are Dragonite and Bronzong, as both are able to set up on it. Moves that hit multiple times, such as Breloom's Bullet Seed and Cloyster's Icicle Spear, can break through Dugtrio's Focus Sash and easily KO it. Most bulky Water-types, such as Vaporeon, Rotom-W, and Politoed, can take Dugtrio's moves and KO it back. Porygon2, although rare, deserves a mention, as it can use Trace to copy Arena Trap and dispatch Dugtrio with a strong Ice Beam. Without Aerial Ace, Breloom and Virizion take little damage from Dugtrio's moves and can easily KO it back. Walls like Hippowdon and Gliscor can use Dugtrio as setup bait, as can Rock Polish Landorus and Double Dance Landorus-T. It is also worth noting that although Dugtrio is a great weather inducer trapper, it has problems against Hippowdon, Abomasnow, and defensive Politoed.</p>

<p>Air Balloon and Shed Shell severely hinder Dugtrio's trapping and revenge killing ability. Anything faster than Dugtrio can easily KO it most of the time, which means that Choice Scarf users and priority moves are really troublesome for it. A common mistake for Dugtrio is to switch into a Pokemon that is unexpectedly holding a Choice Scarf.</p>

I have faced this set many times, and when reversal with substitute can beat many mediocre Chansey and Blissey players, when they are in the hands of a good player, they will never allow Dugtrio to get to 1HP and instead PP stall it out, which is more than possible. That should and needs to be mentioned, because if you think just slapping on substitute completely solves your Blissey and Chansey problems you are wrong.

Also, choice band is the only set that can always beat out Blissey, which is pretty big and deserves more credit in OO.

elodin

the burger
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
I have faced this set many times, and when reversal with substitute can beat many mediocre Chansey and Blissey players, when they are in the hands of a good player, they will never allow Dugtrio to get to 1HP and instead PP stall it out, which is more than possible. That should and needs to be mentioned, because if you think just slapping on substitute completely solves your Blissey and Chansey problems you are wrong.

Also, choice band is the only set that can always beat out Blissey, which is pretty big and deserves more credit in OO.
Thanks :) I pointed out that most experienced players won't let you Substitute until you hit 1 HP and they'll stall you out in most cases. I know I have to give Choice Band a lot more credit, and I will, it's just that it might deserve a full set in the analysis so I'm waiting for QC members to determinate if I should add a set or not. If not, I'll put a lot more credit in OO (because it's still a perfectly viable set).

You mentioned HP Ice on there but...

Salamence and Dragonite are not effected by Arena Trap, which kinda defeats the purpose of Dugtrio's niche as a trapper. Also, a 4x SE move is not gonna OHKO when its coming without STAB and off a 50 Base Special Attack...and Dugtrio does not want to take a STAB Outrage,

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've actually tried HP Ice on Dugtrio for the lols before. Its only real purpose is to hit Gliscor hard enough to deter it from setting up Substitutes and Toxicing shit for free, something which happens a lot after you kill whatever your target is.

EDIT: Just for the Counters section, be sure to note when Dugtrio traps something, he is impossible to counter (because you know, you can't switch, and counters need to switch in)!

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dugtrio should have 26 HP IVs listed as the main spread instead of 31, with no mention of 21 IVs. This is the max number of IVs that will let Dugtrio have a max power Reversal when it switches into Seismic Toss twice. Your HP becomes 206, and 6 / 206 = 2.9% max HP remaining. Reversal deals max damage if 3.124 or less max HP % is remaining; lowering your HP IVs down to 21 to reach 1 HP is unnecessary. And if you Sub down, you'll end up with 2 HP, which still gives you max power Reversal. The extra durability of 31 IVs compared to 26 is negligible on something as frail as Dugtrio that's holding a Focus Sash and trying to abuse Reversal.

Mention in counters Cloyster, as it has high defence to shrug off Stone Edge, and Icicle Spear with hit through Focus Sash. You should also mention Bullet Seed and Mach Punch when you mention Breloom in counters; you pair it with Virizion, but in reality Breloom is notably more threatening than Virizion, who has to take you down to 1 HP and then eat a Reversal.

Also, perhaps have Earthquake as the 1st moveslot? It's its main STAB, generally used more often than Reversal, what you'll be using when you can't use Reversal, and is your main weapon against Ninetales and Ttar, two of the key Pokemon that you trap.

elodin

the burger
World Defender
Ok, I added shrang's suggestions and listed 26 IVs after running some calcs. I still feel like Reversal should be the first move listed because it's the main move on the set, though.

I also added Cloyster to CC and mentioned that Dugtrio fears moves that hit multiple times because they break through its Sash.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You should call the main set "Trapper" or something along those lines. Calling it Reversal implies that its the focus of the set, when it's not.
Prone to being Pursuit trapped
I don't think this is accurate. I've used Dugtrio on 99% of my sun teams for the entirety of BW, and I can't think of a time where I was pursuited. I've watched almost as many matches as i've played, and didn't witness Dugtrio being pursuit as "a thing". In any case, the only 2 common pursuit users in OU are Tyranitar (who wants nothing to do with Dugtrio) and Scizor.

Memento should be slashed over Substitute (Substitute should be moved into AC). Substitute is unnecessary on Dugtrio, since Reversal isn't a sweeping tool, you just use it when its available to you(ie vs Tyranitar). Memento on the other hand, is an awesome panic button, since it temporarily shuts down any Pokemon that happens to switch into it. Great for setting up teammates or stopping a sweep from happening.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Could probably give Choice Band a mention in OO. I've also tried out Choice Scarf Dugtrio as well. It's a bit situational, you can trap and OHKO Volcarona with Stone Edge / Rock Slide, while later on in the game, you can pull off a quick Memento for some set up opportunities or to cushion attacks with a tank later.

Otherwise,
[qc]2/3[/qc]

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also amazing weather inducers trapper;
Worth mentioning that there are weather inducers that beats Dugtrio, namely Hippowdon.
Should be used mainly on weather teams to trap opposing inducers;
Specify that Dugtrio is effective for Sun teams, since Ninetales is particularly vulnerable to Tyranitar more than Politoed / Hippowdon, and Rain teams, since Dugtrio easily disposes TTar and Ninetales. Not nearly as useful on Sand teams, where it would only compound the team's weakness to Grass and Water-type moves.
A full-powered Reversal is Dugtrio’s strongest move even after factoring Earthquake’s STAB
mention that Reversal is mainly useful for killing TTar, but can also be used to remove Terrakion or as a second move followed by EQ for a one-two punch against offensive Politoed.
I honestly never found myself using the Revenge Killer set but I think it might deserve an own set. I don’t see any important reason to use it, though;
no body will know what you're referring to so please remove this
Breloom and Virizion resist every move and can KO it back easily;
they do not resist reversal, although tech breloom can avoid with bullet seed or mach punch anyways

Checks and Counters

special mention of rp landorus and double-dance landorus-t, which can set up on dugtrio with impunity

Again emphasize how Politoed, Hippowdon, and maybe even Abomasnow serve as weather inducers not too troubled by Dugtrio

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice job; I missed two, though:
Lowering Dugtrio’s HP IV’s to 26 is really useful to be with 2 HP after two Seismic Tosses, giving you a full-powered Reversal against Chansey and Blissey
Note the color in red: it's 2% not 2 hit points.
(or I guess you could add 8 EVs to be with 1 HP after these moves and Stealth Rock damage);
Change that to 12 EVs, b/c with 8 EVs, Dugtrio is left with 200 HP after SR, which means Seismic Toss will 2HKO. Also clarify that 12 EVs with 31 IVs in HP.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Don't forget to change Pokémon to Pokemon before the GP checkers get on your butt about it.

Oh, and I do believe that these three paragraphs can be fused because their talk about items, and they're short enough to do so.

<p>There are some other options that Dugtrio can run. A set with Choice Band is the most viable one, turning Dugtrio into a threatening revenge killer that is strong right off the bat. This is actually the only set that always defeats Blissey 1v1, which is pretty big. And with Arena Trap, Dugtrio doesn’t need to worry too much with predictions like other Choice-locked Pokémon.</p>

<p>Dugtrio can use some other items, such as Life Orb and Expert Belt. The first one allows you to hit harder and doesn’t turn you into setup bait like Choice Band, while the latter can be used to fake a Choice Item and also to score an OHKO on Chople Berry Tyranitar most of the times, as well as hitting Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Chansey harder.</p>

<p>A Choice Scarf set can also be used to overcome enemy Choice Scarf users, such as Terrakion and Heatran, and some +1 Speed Pokémon, like Volcarona, with hazards on your side of the field, as well as pulling off quick Mementos late game for a teammate sweep. However, without Life Orb or Choice Band, it will lack the strength to KO many important threats.</p>

GP check. Good job on writing this. Just be careful and avoid referring to the Pokemon you're talking about as you and be sure to use straight instead of curly apostrophes (here's an explanation of how to turn off curly apostrophes in word).
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[Overview]

<p>Being the only fully evolved user of Arena Trap, Dugtrio gains possesses an important niche in the OU metagame as an effective trapper and revenge killer. It performs both roles really well due to its blazing Speed and good offensive movepool. However, Dugtrio’s (change to straight apostrophe) mediocre base Attack holds it back a little bit, lacking the power to break through common bulky Pokemon found in the OU environment. Its Dugtrio's terrible defenses also mean that it won’t (change to straight apostrophe) be able to take even the weakest priority move, and even though Dugtrio’s its Speed is enormous very high, Choice Scarf users can easily put an end to it.</p>

<p>The transition to BW2 has turned OU into a much more offensive metagame, and there are lots of threats out there begging to be trapped by Dugtrio. Don’t (change to straight apostrophe) let this Pokemon's bad overall stats hold you back, because it sure can turn the tides of a match.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Reversal Dugtrio is an efficient trapper and revenge killer. With threats like Terrakion, Volcarona, and Jirachi on every corner, Dugtrio’s (change to straight apostrophe) ability combined with its movepool can be quite handy, almost always put putting an end to them. However, the most notable trait of this set is its ability to overcome the most common weather inducers. When used correctly, Dugtrio can easily defeat most Tyranitar and Ninetales, and still cause a deal significant damage against to Politoed. This is Dugtrio’s (change to straight apostrophe) greatest trait, since as removing the opponent’s (change to straight apostrophe) weather can easily swing the match to in your team’s (change to straight apostrophe) favor.</p>

<p>Reversal is Dugtrio’s (change to straight apostrophe) strongest move even after factoring in Earthquake’s (change to straight apostrophe) STAB, and its main use is to shut down Tyranitar and Terrakion as well as dealing a nice amount of damage against to offensive Politoed. Earthquake is Dugtrio’s (change to straight apostrophe) most powerful STAB and it’s it its strongest choice when at full HP. Its main use is to defeat Ninetales and Heatran, but it is also a great move against common threats, such as Jirachi and Tentacruel. Stone Edge is a great coverage move that defeats Volcarona and deals a nice damage to Flying-types, that can which avoid Arena Trap. The last slot depends on what your team needs the most. Stealth Rock can be set up easily while Dugtrio’s (change to straight apostrophe) Focus Sash is intact, giving your team a nice advantage. Memento is also a great option to cripple whatever switches into Dugtrio after it kills what it’s (change to straight apostrophe) supposed to kill, (remove comma) and it gives provides/creates/a word you like better a nice set up setup opportunity for one of its teammates. Sucker Punch is a strong priority move that helps you against Pokemon like Latios.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is standart standard, giving you max Speed and Attack. Lowering Dugtrio’s (change to straight apostrophe) HP IV’s IV to 26 is useful to be with allows it to reach 2% HP after two Seismic Tosses from Chansey and Blissey, giving you it a full-powered full powered Reversal against them. If you don’t (change to straight apostrophe) want to subtract IVs, you can keep the 31 IVs in HP and add 12 EVs into HP. This way, Dugtrio will be with have 1 HP after two Seismic Tosses and Stealth Rock damage. Endure is a nice option on in the last slot since as it allows you Dugtrio to run a different item over Focus Sash, such as Fighting Gem, as well as surviving ensuring it survives any attack with 1 HP regardless of hazards. Substitute gives you more control over Reversal, which can be really useful against the likes of Chansey, Blissey, and Ferrothorn. It's known, however, that both Chansey and Blissey are able to stall you Dugtrio out, and most experienced players won't let you it hit 1 HP. Hone Claws is Dugtrio’s (change to straight apostrophe) only Attack-boosting Attack boosting move, and can be greatly used useful against Pokemon Choice-locked into Electric-type moves. There are some other moves you can run, such as Shadow Claw and Rock Slide. The first one former is a nice option to defeat Gengar without Sucker Punch’s (change to straight apostrophe) needed predction prediction while also hitting Latios, and the latter can be is a safer choice over Stone Edge if Volcarona is really troublesome.</p>

<p>This set’s (change to straight apostrophe) best use is on weather teams that want a safe way to remove the opponent’s (change to straight apostrophe) weather. It works best on Sun sun because it traps Heatran, Terrakion, and Tyranitar, three huge threats to almost every Sun sun team. It is also great in Rain since rain as Dugtrio has an easy time defeating Tyranitar and Ninetales, the two other common weather inducers. It is important to highlight that keeping hazards off your side of the field helps Dugtrio a lot, allowing it to switch into opponents opponents' moves without fearing to be being KOed. This means that Rapid Spin support (or Magic Bounce support) is really good to raise its effectiveness, so keep that in mind.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>There are some other options that Dugtrio can run. A set with Choice Band is the most viable one, turning Dugtrio into a threatening revenge killer that is strong right off the bat. This is actually the only set that always defeats Blissey 1v1, which is pretty big. And with Arena Trap, Dugtrio doesn’t (change to straight apostrophe) need to worry too much with about predictions like other Choice-locked Pokemon. Dugtrio can use some other items, such as Life Orb and Expert Belt. The first one allows you it to hit harder and doesn’t (change to straight apostrophe) turn you it into setup bait like Choice Band, while the latter can be used to fake a Choice Item and also to score an OHKO on Chople Berry Tyranitar most of the times, as well as hitting Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Chansey harder. A Choice Scarf set can also be used to overcome enemy Choice Scarf users, such as Terrakion and Heatran, and some +1 Speed Pokemon, like Volcarona, with hazards on your side of the field, as well as pulling off quick Mementos late game late-game for a teammate to sweep. However, without Life Orb or Choice Band, it will lack the strength to KO many important threats.</p>

<p>Aerial Ace can be used to remove Virizion, Breloom, and Heracross. However, this move has almost no use outside of these threats. You can also use Toxic to cripple common Dugtrio switch-ins, such as Hippowdon, Politoed, Dragonite, etc. Hidden Power [Ice] Ice is a bit gimmicky, but it allows you Dugtrio to break Gliscor’s (change to straight apostrophe) Substitutes when trying to set up on you, which is useful sometimes. Since Because Dugtrio is a Pokemon that itches for additional strength, running an Adamant nature is viable, although you’ll (change to straight apostrophe) miss Jolly a lot when trying to defeat Starmie, Keldeo, and Terrakion, mainly.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>By definition, Dugtrio has no counters if it is revenge killing grounded enemies, because counters need to switch-in. Although it easily defeats common threats, Dugtrio struggles a lot against most OU Pokemon due to its low defenses and lackluster base Attack. With this in mind, watch out for the following enemies:</p>

<p>Skamory, Forretress, and Cloyster can throw down Spikes while Dugtrio can’t (change to straight apostrophe) do much in return, and the latter can also set up Shell Smash. Mamoswine and Weavile (both have to watch out for Reversal) can easily KO Dugtrio with priority Ice Shard, and the latter also packs a strong Pursuit if Dugtrio tries to switch out. Azumarill easily defeats it with priority Aqua Jet. Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate can avoid Arena Trap and Earthquake, which means Dugtrio will quite possibly have troubles with them. Some examples are Dragonite and Bronzong, both being able to set up on it. Moves that hit multiple times (such as Breloom’s (change to straight apostrophe) Bullet Seed and Cloyster’s (change to straight apostrophe) Icicle Spear) can break through Dugtrio’s (change to straight apostrophe) Focus Sash and easily KO it. Most bulky Water-types can take Dugtrio’s (change to straight apostrophe) moves and KO it back, such as Vaporeon, Rotom-W, and Politoed. Porygon2, although rare, deserves a mention, since as it can use Trace to copy Arena Trap and dispatch Dugtrio with a strong Ice Beam. Without Aerial Ace, Breloom and Virizion take little damage from its Dugtrio's moves and can easily KO it back. Walls like Hippowdon and Gliscor can use Dugtrio as set up setup bait. Rock Polish Landorus-I Landorus and Double Dance Landorus-T also use it as set up setup bait, so watch out for them.</p>

<p>Air Balloon and Shed Shell severely hinder Dugtrio’s (change to straight apostrophe) trapping and revenge killing ability. Anything faster than Dugtrio can easily KO it most of the times time, which means that Choice Scarf users and priority moves are really troublesome for it. A common mistake for Dugtrio is to switch into a Pokemon that is unexpectedly Choice Scarfed.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

tehy

Banned deucer.
Well, time to get back on the horse, despite my hatred of horseback riding.

Tell me if you've got problems with this, and I'll see what I can do.

[Overview]¶

<p>Being the only fully evolved user of Arena Trap, Dugtrio possesses an important niche in the OU metagame as an effective trapper and revenge killer. It performs both roles really well due to its blazing Speed and good offensive movepool. However, Dugtrio's mediocre base Attack holds it back a little bit, lacking the power to break through common bulky Pokemon found in the OU environment. Dugtrio's terrible defenses also mean that it won't be able to take even the weakest priority move, and even though its Speed is very high, Choice Scarf users can easily put an end to it.</p>¶

<p>The transition to BW2 has turned OU into a much more offensive metagame, and there are lots of threats out there begging to be trapped by Dugtrio. Don't let this Pokemon's bad overall stats hold you back, because it sure can turn the tides of a match.</p>¶

[SET]¶
name: Trapper¶
move 1: Reversal¶
move 2: Earthquake¶
move 3: Stone Edge¶
move 4: Stealth Rock / Memento / Sucker Punch¶
item: Focus Sash ¶
nature: Jolly¶
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe¶

[SET COMMENTS]¶

<p>Reversal Dugtrio is an efficient trapper and revenge killer. With threats like Terrakion, Volcarona, and Jirachi on every corner, Dugtrio's ability combined with its movepool can be quite handy, almost alwaysgenerally putting an end to them. However, the most notable trait of this set is its ability to overcome the most common weather inducers. Dugtrio can's greatest selling point is the ability to easily defeat most Tyranitar and Ninetales, and still deal significant damage to Politoed. This is Dugtrio's greatest trait, as removing the opponent's weather can easily swing the match in your team's favor.</p>¶

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is standard, giving max Speed and Attack. Lowering Dugtrio's HP IV to 26 allows it to reach 2% HP after two Seismic Tosses from Chansey and Blissey, giving itfor a full- powered Reversal against them. If you don't want to subtract IVs,,or you can keep the 31 IVs in HP and add 12 EVs into HP. This way, so Dugtrio will haves 1 HP after two Seismic Tosses and Stealth Rock damage. Endure is a nice option in the last slot as it, allowsing Dugtrio to run a different item over Focus Sash, such as Fighting Gem, as well asnd ensuringe it survives any attack with 1 HP regardless of hazards. Substitute gives you more control over Reversal, which can be really useful against the likes of Chansey, Blissey, and Ferrothorn. It's known, however, that bothUnfortunately, Chansey and Blissey are able to stall Dugtrio out, and most experienced players won't let it hit 1 HP. Hone Claws is Dugtrio's only Attack-boosting move, and can be greatly usefulused to boost against Pokemon Cchoice-locked into Electric-type moves. There are some other moves you can run, such as Shadow Claw and Rock Slide. The former is a nice option to defeat Gengar without Sucker Punch's neededsans prediction while alsostill hitting Latios, and the latterRock Slide is a safer choice overthan Stone Edge if Volcarona is really troublesome.</p>¶

<p>This set' is best use isd on weather teams that want a safe way to remove the opponent's weather.It works best on sun because it, trapsping Heatran, Terrakion, and Tyranitar, three huge threats to almost every sun team. It, and is also great in rain, as Dugtrio has an easy time defeatapping Tyranitar and Ninetales, the two other common weather inducers. It is important to highlight that kKeeping hazards off your side of the field helpallows Dugtrio a lot, allowing it to switch into opponents' moves without fearing being KOed. This means that its Focus Sash intact, so Rapid Spin support (or Magic Bounce support) is really good to raiseenhances its effectiveness, so keep that in mind greatly.</p>

p>There are some other options that Dugtrio can run. A set with Choice Band is theDugtrio's most viable other optione, turning Dugtrio into a threatening revenge killer that is strong right off the bat. This is actually the only set thatnd always defeats Blissey 1v1, w (Which is pretty big!). And with Arena TrapUnike other choice-locked pokemon, Dugtrio avoidoesn't need to worry too much about predictions like other Choice-locked Pokemon with Arena Trap.Dugtrio can use some other items, such as Life Orb and Expert Belt. The first one allows it to hit harder and doesn't turn it intoavoid becoming setup bait likewith a Choice Band, while the latteor can be usedExpert Belt to fake a Choice Item and also to, generally score an OHKO on Chople Berry Tyranitar most of the times, as well asnd hitting Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Chansey harder. A Choice Scarf set can also be used to overcome enemy Choice Scarf users, such as Terrakion and Heatran, and some +1 Speed Pokemon, like Volcarona, with hazards on your side of the field, as well asnd pulling off quick Mementos late-game for a teammate to sweep. However, without Life Orb or Choice Band, Dugtrio will lack the strength to KO many important threats.</p>¶

<p>Aerial Ace can be used to remove Virizion, Breloom, and Heracross. However, this move has almost no use outside of these threats. You can also use Toxic to cripple common Dugtrio switch-ins, such as Hippowdon, Politoed, Dragonite, etc. Hidden Power Ice is a bit gimmicky, but it allows Dugtrio to break Gliscor's Substitutes, which is useful sometimes. Because Dugtrio is a Pokemon that itches for additional strength, running an Adamant nature is viable, although you'll miss Jolly a lot when trying to defeat Starmie, Keldeo, and Terrakion.</p>¶

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS] ¶

¶<p>By definition, Dugtrio has no counters, because counters need to switch in. Although it easily defeats common threats, Dugtrio struggles a lot against most OU Pokemon, due to its low defenses and lackluster base Attack.</p>

<p>Skamory, Forretress, and Cloyster can throwlay down Spikes, while Dugtrio can't do much in return, and the latter can also set up Shell Smash. Mamoswine and Weavile (both have to watch out for Reversal) can easily KO Dugtrio with priority Ice Shard, and the latter also packs a strong Pursuit if Dugtrio tries to switch out. Azumarill easily defeats it with priority Aqua Jet. Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate can avoid Arena Trap and Earthquake, which means Dugtrio will have troubles with them. So-two prime examples are Dragonite and Bronzong, as both beingare able to set up on it. Moves that hit multiple times (such as Breloom's Bullet Seed and Cloyster's Icicle Spear) can break through Dugtrio's Focus Sash and easily KO it. Most bulky Water-types can take Dugtrio's moves and KO it back, some exampleuch as being Vaporeon, Rotom-W, and Politoed. Porygon2, although rare, deserves a mention, as it can use Trace to copy Arena Trap and dispatch Dugtrio with a strong Ice Beam. Without Aerial Ace, Breloom and Virizion take little damage from Dugtrio's moves and can easily KO it back. Walls like Hippowdon and Gliscor can use Dugtrio as setup bait., as can Rock Polish Landorus and Double Dance Landorus-T also use it as setup bait, so watch out for them. It is also worth noting that, although Dugtrio is a great weather inducers trapper, it will haves problems against Hippowdon, Abomasnow, and defensive Politoed.</p>¶

<p>Air Balloon and Shed Shell severely hinder Dugtrio's trapping and revenge killing ability. Anything faster than Dugtrio can easily KO it most of the time, which means that Choice Scarf users and priority moves are really troublesome for it. A common mistake for Dugtrio is to switch into a Pokemon that is unexpectedly Choice Scarfed.</p>

Comments:
Maybe Beat>Vanquished? Or maybe not, depending, really.
I didn't feel like Ninetales and Heatran need to be highlighted as EQ targets, with Tentacruel and Jirachi thrown in a second later-it's true that Ninetales and Heatran are targets a good deal more of the time, but Jirachi and Tentacruel aren't exactly uncommon either.
Expert Belt can also fake a Focus Sash.
Endure could be used to run a Liechi Berry, for a permanent 50% boost on everything, since Fight Gem is only going to be used at <25% 99% of the time.
Is the last sentence really necessary?
It's not really necessary to have a sentence saying "he has other options" after the title 'other options', JS. Similarly, for ShadClaw and Rock Slidey Slide, just come out hard with them.
Who lays Spikes with Cloyster? And how many of those can Shell Smash, too?

Edit: Well, I figured saying "an alternative" was enough to let people know not to reduce their HP IV, but i guess some people might not realise it's silly to lower their HP IV, then invest HP EVs. A few things, though:
"Memento is also a great option to cripple whatever switches into Dugtrio after it kills what it's supposed to kill"
I don't care if you reject my take on this, but this needs shortening by someone.
" Dugtrio can use some other items, such as Life Orb and Expert Belt." Don't combine the two sentences if you want, but at least just lead out with "Dugtrio can use Life Orb to blah blah blah. Dugtrio can use Expert Belt to blah blah blah.
Oh yeah, and i meant to say This set is best used, but the D is a space ahead for some reason. Sorry about that, but you need to kill set's if you're using is, or the other way around-set's means set is, so... redundant.

elodin

the burger
World Defender
I added most of your corrections with some exceptions that I didn't found necessary, such as not mentioning to keep the 31 IVs in HP if running it with 12 EVs in HP. I think making this clear in the analysis is really important, we don't wanna see people blaming us for running wrong Dugtrios lol

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GS made me try an amateur GP check so here goes!!

Removals in RED
Additions in GREEN
Comments are in BLUE

[Overview]

<p>BeingAs the only fully evolved user of Arena Trap, Dugtrio possesses an important niche in the OU metagame as an effective trapper and revenge killer. It performs both roles really well due to its blazing Speed and good offensive movepool. However, Dugtrio's mediocre base Attack holds it back a littlbecause bit, lackings the power to break through common bulky Pokemon found in the OU environment. Dugtrio's terrible defenses also mean that it won't be able to take even the weakest priority move,(This isn't really true, I think something along the lines of "Dugtrio's terrible defenses also mean that most priority moves will be able to KO it" but I don't really know how Dugtrio plays so I'll leave that up to you to decide exactly how to word it) and even though its Speeddespite its very high Speed, Choice Scarf users can easily put an end to it.</p>

<p>The transition to BW2 has turned OU into a much more offensive metagame, and there are lots ofmany threats out there begging to be trapped by Dugtrio. Don't let this Pokemon's bad overall stats hold you back, because it sure can turn the tides of a match.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Reversal Dugtrio is an efficienteffective trapper and revenge killer. With threats likesuch as Terrakion, Volcarona, and Jirachi on every corner, Dugtrio's ability combined with itsand movepool can be quite handy, generally putting an end to them. However, the most notable trait of this set is its ability to overcome the most common weather inducers. aforementioned Pokemon. However, Dugtrio's greatest selling point is theits ability to easily defeat most Tyranitar and Ninetales, and stillcommon weather inducers such as most Tyranitar and Ninetales, and to deal significant damage to Politoed, as removing the opponent's weather can easily swing the match in your team's favor.</p>

<p>Reversal is Dugtrio's strongest move even after factoring in Earthquake's STAB, and its main use is to shut down Tyranitar and Terrakion as well as dealing a nice amount of damage to offensive Politoed. Earthquake is Dugtrio's most powerful STAB and its strongest choice when at full HP. Its main use is to defeat Ninetales and Heatran, but it is also a great move to use against common threats, such as Jirachi and Tentacruel. Stone Edge is a great coverage move that defeats Volcarona and deals nice damage to Flying-types, which avoid Arena Trap. The last slot depends on what your team needs the most. Stealth Rock can be set up easily while Dugtrio's Focus Sash is intact, giving your team a nice advantage. Memento is also a great option to cripple whatever switches into Dugtrio after it kills what it's supposed to kill, and it provides a nice setup opportunity for one of its teammates. Sucker Punch is a strong priority move that helps against Pokemon likesuch as Latios.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is standard, giving max Speed and Attack. Lowering Dugtrio's HP IV to 26 allows it to reach 2% HP after two Seismic Tosses from Chansey and Blissey, giving it a full powered Reversal, or. As another option, you can keep the 31 IVs in HP and add 12 EVs into HP, so Dugtrio has 1 HP after two Seismic Tosses and Stealth Rock damage. Endure is a nice option in the last slot, allowing Dugtrio to run a different item, such as Fighting Gem, as well as ensuring it survives any attack with 1 HP regardless of hazards. Substitute gives you more control over Reversal, which can be really useful against the likes of Chansey, Blissey, and Ferrothorn. Unfortunately, both Chansey and Blissey are able to stall Dugtrio out, and most experienced players won't let it hit 1 HP. Hone Claws is Dugtrio's only Attack boosting move, and can be greatly useful against Pokemon Choice-locked into Electric-type moves. Shadow Claw is a nice option to defeat Gengar sans prediction while still hitting Latios, and Rock Slide is a safer option than Stone Edge is if Volcarona is really troublesome.</p>

<p>This set's best use is on weather teams that want a safe way to remove the opponent's weather. It works best on sun because it traps Heatran, Terrakion, and Tyranitar, three huge threats to almost every sun team. It is also great in rain as Dugtrio has an easy time defeating Tyranitar and Ninetales, the two other common weather inducers. Keeping hazards off your side of the field allows Dugtrio to switch in with its Focus Sash intact, so Rapid Spin support (or Magic Bounce support) greatly enhances its effectiveness greatly.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>A set with Choice Band is Dugtrio's most viable other option, turning it into a strong and threatening revenge killer that is strong right off the bat. This is actually the only set that always defeats Blissey 1v1, which is pretty bigimportant. Unlike other Choice-locked Pokemon, Dugtrio avoids predicitions due to Arena Trap. Dugtrio can also make use of some other items, such as Life Orb and Expert Belt. The first one allows itLife Orb allows Dugtrio to hit harder and doesn't turn it into setup bait like Choice Band, while the latterExpert Belt can be used to fake a Choice Item and also, to score an OHKO on Chople Berry Tyranitar most of the times, and to hitting Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Chansey harder. A Choice Scarf set can also be used to overcome enemy Choice Scarf users, such as Terrakion and Heatran, and some +1 Speed Pokemon, likesuch as Volcarona, with hazards on your side of the field, and to pulling off quick Mementos late-game for a teammate to sweep. However, without Life Orb or Choice Band, Dugtrio will lack the strength to KO many important threats.</p>

<p>Aerial Ace can be used to remove Virizion, Breloom, and Heracross. However, this move has almost no use outside of these threats. You can also use Toxic to cripple common Dugtrio switch-ins, such as Hippowdon, Politoed, Dragonite, etc. Hidden Power Ice is a bit gimmicky, but it allows Dugtrio to break Gliscor's Substitutes, which is useful sometimescan sometimes be useful. Because Dugtrio is a Pokemon that itches for additional strength, running an Adamant nature is viable, although you'll miss Jolly a lotthe Speed boost from a Jolly nature greatly when trying to defeat Starmie, Keldeo, and Terrakion.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]

<p>By definition, Dugtrio has no counters if it is revenge killing grounded enemies, because counters need to switch-in. Although it easily defeats common threats, Dugtrio struggles a lot against most OU Pokemon due to its low defenses and lackluster base Attack.</p>

<p>Skamory, Forretress, and Cloyster can lay down Spikes while Dugtrio can't do much in return, and the latCloyster can also set up Shell Smash. Mamoswine and Weavile (both have to watch out for Reversal) can easily KO Dugtrio with priority Ice Shard, and the latter also packs a strong Pursuit if Dugtrio tries to switch out, though they both have to watch out for Reversal. Azumarill easily defeats itDugtrio with priority Aqua Jet. Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate can avoid Arena Trap and Earthquake, which means Dugtrio will have troubles with them-t. Two prime examples of this are Dragonite and Bronzong, as both are able to set up on it while avoiding Arena Trap and Earthquake. Moves that hit multiple times (, such as Breloom's Bullet Seed and Cloyster's Icicle Spear), can break through Dugtrio's Focus Sash and easily KO it. Most bulky Water-types can take Dugtrio's moves and KO it back, such as Vaporeon, Rotom-W, and Politoed can take Dugtrio's moves and KO it back. Porygon2, although rare, deserves a mention, as it can use Trace to copy Arena Trap and dispatch Dugtrio with a strong Ice Beam. Without Aerial Ace, Breloom and Virizion take little damage from Dugtrio's moves and can easily KO it back. Walls like Hippowdon and Gliscor can use Dugtrio as setup bait, as can Rock Polish Landorus and Double Dance Landorus-T. It is also worth noting that, although Dugtrio is a great weather inducer trapper, it has problems against Hippowdon, Abomasnow, and defensive Politoed.</p>

<p>Air Balloon and Shed Shell severely hinder Dugtrio's trapping and revenge killing ability. Anything faster than Dugtrio can easily KO it most of the time, which means that Choice Scarf users and priority moves are really troublesome for it. A common mistake for Dugtrio is to switch into a Pokemon that is unexpectedly Choice Scarfed.</p>

elodin

the burger
World Defender
Ok, added Solace's corrections. I believe I might have missed a few, though. Just tell me if you find anything out of place.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>As the only fully -evolved user of Arena Trap, Dugtrio possesses an important niche in the OU metagame as an effective trapper and revenge killer. It performs both roles really well due to its blazing Speed and good offensive movepool. However, Dugtrio's mediocre base Attack holds it back because it lacks the power to break through combulkier Pokemon bulky Poke, which are commonly found in the OU environment. Dugtrio's terrible defenses also mean that it won't be able to take even the weakest priority move, and despite its very high Speed, Choice Scarf users can easily put an end to it.</p>

<p>The transition to BW2 has turned OU into a much more offensive metagame, and there are many threats out there begging to be trapped by Dugtrio. Don't let this Pokemon's bad overall stats hold you back, because it sure can turn the tides of a match.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Reversal Dugtrio is an effective trapper and revenge killer. With threats such as Terrakion, Volcarona, and Jirachi around every corner, Dugtrio's ability and movepool can be quite handy, generally putting an end to the aforementioned Pokemon. However, Dugtrio's greatest selling point is its ability to easily defeat common weather inducers; Ninetalesuch asnd most Tyranitar and Ninetalesfall victim to Dugtrio, and it can also deal significant damage to Politoed, as r. Removing the opponent's weather can easily swing the match in your team's favor.</p>

<p>A full-powered Reversal is Dugtrio's strongest move even after factoring in Earthquake's STAB boost, and its main use is to shut down Tyranitar and Terrakion as well as dealing a nice amount of damage to offensive Politoed. Earthquake is Dugtrio's most powerful STAB move and its strongest choice when at full HP. Its main use is to defeat Ninetales and Heatran, but it is also a great move to use against other common threats, such as Jirachi and Tentacruel. Stone Edge is a great coverage move that defeats Volcarona and deals nice damage to Flying-types, which avoid Arena Trap. The last slot depends on what your team needs the most. Stealth Rock can be set up easily while Dugtrio's Focus Sash is intact, giving your team a nice advantage. However, Memento is also a great option to cripple whatever switches into Dugtrio after it kills what it's supposed to, and provides a nice setup opportunity for one of its teammates. Sucker Punch can be used as well, and it is a strong priority move that helps against Pokemon such as Latios.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is standard, giving max Speed and Attack. Lowering Dugtrio's HP IV to 26 allows it to reach 2% HP after two Seismic Tosses from Chansey and Blissey, giving it a full -powered Reversal. As another option, you can keep the 31 IVs in HP and add 12 EVs into HP, so that Dugtrio has 1 HP after two Seismic Tosses and Stealth Rock damage. Endure is a nice option in the last slot, allowing Dugtrio to run a different item, such as Fighting Gem, as well as ensuring it survives any attack with 1 HP regardless of hazards. Substitute gives you more control over Reversal, which can be really useful against the likes of Chansey, Blissey, and Ferrothorn. Unfortunately, both Chansey and Blissey are able to stall Dugtrio out, and most experienced players won't let it hit 1 HP. Hone Claws is Dugtrio's only Attack -boosting move, and can be greatly useful against Pokemon Choice-locked into Electric-type moves. Shadow Claw is a nice option to defeat Gengar sans prediction while still hitting Latios, and Rock Slide is a safer option than Stone Edge is if Volcarona is really troublesome.</p>

<p>This set's best use is on weather teams that want a safe way to remove the opponent's weather inducer. It works best on sun because it traps Heatran, Terrakion, and Tyranitar, three huge threats to almost every sun team. It is also great in rain as Dugtrio has an easy time defeating Tyranitar and Ninetales, the two other common weather inducers. Keeping entry hazards off your side of the field allows Dugtrio to switch in with its Focus Sash intact, so Rapid Spin or Magic Bounce support greatly enhances its effectiveness.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONSther Options]

<p>A set with Choice Band set is Dugtrio's most viable other option, turning it into a strong and threatening revenge killer right off the bat. This is actually the only set that always defeats Blissey 1v1one-on-one, which is pretty important. Unlike other Choice-locked Pokemon, Dugtrio avoids predicitions due to Arena Trap. Dugtrio can also make use of some other items, such as Life Orb and Expert Belt. Life Orb allows Dugtrio to hit harder and doesn't turn it into setup bait like Choice Band, while Expert Belt can be used to fake a Choice Item, to; it scores an OHKO on Chople Berry Tyranitar most of the time, and talso hits Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Chansey hard. A Choice Scarf set can also be used to overcome enemy Choice Scarf users, such as Terrakion and Heatran, and some +1 Speed Pokemon, such as Volcarona, with hazards on your side of the field, and to pull off quick Mementos late-game for a teammate to sweep. However, without Life Orb or Choice Band, Dugtrio will lack the strength to KO many important threats.</p>

<p>Aerial Ace can be used to remove Virizion, Breloom, and Heracross. However, this move has almost no use outside of these threats. You can also use Toxic to cripple common Dugtrio switch-ins, such as Hippowdon, Politoed, and Dragonite. Hidden Power Ice is a bit gimmicky, but it allows Dugtrio to break Gliscor's Substitutes, which can sometimes be useful. Because Dugtrio is a Pokemon that itches for additional strength, running an Adamant nature is viable, although you'll miss the Speed boost from a Jolly nature greatly when trying to defeat Starmie, Keldeo, and Terrakion.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERShecks And Counters]

<p>By definition, Dugtrio has no counters if it is revenge killing grounded enemies, because counters need to switch- in. Although it easily defeats common threats, Dugtrio struggles against most OU Pokemon due to its low defenses and lackluster base Attack.</p>

<p>Skamory, Forretress, and Cloyster can lay down Spikes while Dugtrio can't do much in return, and Cloyster can also set up Shell Smash. Mamoswine and Weavile can easily KO Dugtrio with priority Ice Shard, and the latter also packs a strong Pursuit if Dugtrio tries to switch out, though both have to watch out for Reversal. Azumarill easily defeats Dugtrio with priority Aqua Jet. Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate can avoid Arena Trap and Earthquake, which means Dugtrio will have troubles with them. Two prime examples of this are Dragonite and Bronzong, as both are able to set up on it. Moves that hit multiple times, such as Breloom's Bullet Seed and Cloyster's Icicle Spear, can break through Dugtrio's Focus Sash and easily KO it. Most bulky Water-types, such as Vaporeon, Rotom-W, and Politoed, can take Dugtrio's moves and KO it back. Porygon2, although rare, deserves a mention, as it can use Trace to copy Arena Trap and dispatch Dugtrio with a strong Ice Beam. Without Aerial Ace, Breloom and Virizion take little damage from Dugtrio's moves and can easily KO it back. Walls like Hippowdon and Gliscor can use Dugtrio as setup bait, as can Rock Polish Landorus and Double Dance Landorus-T. It is also worth noting that, although Dugtrio is a great weather inducer trapper, it has problems against Hippowdon, Abomasnow, and defensive Politoed.</p>

<p>Air Balloon and Shed Shell severely hinder Dugtrio's trapping and revenge killing ability. Anything faster than Dugtrio can easily KO it most of the time, which means that Choice Scarf users and priority moves are really troublesome for it. A common mistake for Dugtrio is to switch into a Pokemon that is unexpectedly holding a Choice Scarfed.</p>
[Overview]

<p>As the only fully-evolved user of Arena Trap, Dugtrio possesses an important niche in the OU metagame as an effective trapper and revenge killer. It performs both roles really well due to its blazing Speed and good offensive movepool. However, Dugtrio's mediocre base Attack holds it back because it lacks the power to break through bulkier Pokemon, which are commonly found in the OU environment. Dugtrio's terrible defenses also mean that it won't be able to take even the weakest priority move, and despite its very high Speed, Choice Scarf users can easily put an end to it. The transition to BW2 has turned OU into a much more offensive metagame, and there are many threats out there begging to be trapped by Dugtrio. Don't let this Pokemon's bad overall stats hold you back, because it sure can turn the tides of a match.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Reversal Dugtrio is an effective trapper and revenge killer. With threats such as Terrakion, Volcarona, and Jirachi around every corner, Dugtrio's ability and movepool can be quite handy, generally putting an end to the aforementioned Pokemon. However, Dugtrio's greatest selling point is its ability to easily defeat common weather inducers; Ninetales and most Tyranitar fall victim to Dugtrio, and it can also deal significant damage to Politoed. Removing the opponent's weather can easily swing the match in your team's favor.</p>

<p>A full-powered Reversal is Dugtrio's strongest move even after factoring in Earthquake's STAB boost, and its main use is to shut down Tyranitar and Terrakion as well as dealing a nice amount of damage to offensive Politoed. Earthquake is Dugtrio's most powerful STAB move and its strongest choice when at full HP. Its main use is to defeat Ninetales and Heatran, but it is also a great move to use against other common threats such as Jirachi and Tentacruel. Stone Edge is a great coverage move that defeats Volcarona and deals nice damage to Flying-types, which avoid Arena Trap. The last slot depends on what your team needs the most. Stealth Rock can be set up easily while Dugtrio's Focus Sash is intact, giving your team a nice advantage. However, Memento is also a great option to cripple whatever switches into Dugtrio after it kills what it's supposed to, and provides a nice setup opportunity for one of its teammates. Sucker Punch can be used as well, and it is a strong priority move that helps against Pokemon such as Latios.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is standard, giving max Speed and Attack. Lowering Dugtrio's HP IV to 26 allows it to reach 2% HP after two Seismic Tosses from Chansey and Blissey, giving it a full-powered Reversal. As another option, you can keep the 31 IVs in HP and add 12 EVs into HP so that Dugtrio has 1 HP after two Seismic Tosses and Stealth Rock damage. Endure is a nice option in the last slot, allowing Dugtrio to run a different item, such as Fighting Gem, as well as ensuring it survives any attack with 1 HP regardless of hazards. Substitute gives you more control over Reversal, which can be really useful against the likes of Chansey, Blissey, and Ferrothorn. Unfortunately, both Chansey and Blissey are able to stall Dugtrio out, and most experienced players won't let it hit 1 HP. Hone Claws is Dugtrio's only Attack-boosting move, and can be greatly useful against Pokemon Choice-locked into Electric-type moves. Shadow Claw is a nice option to defeat Gengar sans prediction while still hitting Latios, and Rock Slide is a safer option than Stone Edge is if Volcarona is really troublesome.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A Choice Band set is Dugtrio's most viable other option, turning it into a strong and threatening revenge killer right off the bat. This is actually the only set that always defeats Blissey one-on-one, which is pretty important. Unlike other Choice-locked Pokemon, Dugtrio avoids predictions due to Arena Trap. Dugtrio can also make use of some other items, such as Life Orb and Expert Belt. Life Orb allows Dugtrio to hit harder and doesn't turn it into setup bait like Choice Band, while Expert Belt can be used to fake a Choice Item; it scores an OHKO on Chople Berry Tyranitar most of the time, and also hits Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Chansey hard. A Choice Scarf set can also be used to overcome enemy Choice Scarf users, such as Terrakion and Heatran, and some +1 Speed Pokemon, such as Volcarona, with hazards on your side of the field, and to pull off quick Mementos late-game for a teammate to sweep. However, without Life Orb or Choice Band, Dugtrio will lack the strength to KO many important threats.</p>

[Checks And Counters]

<p>By definition, Dugtrio has no counters if it is revenge killing grounded enemies, because counters need to switch in. Although it easily defeats common threats, Dugtrio struggles against most OU Pokemon due to its low defenses and lackluster base Attack.</p>

<p>Skamory, Forretress, and Cloyster can lay down Spikes while Dugtrio can't do much in return, and Cloyster can also set up Shell Smash. Mamoswine and Weavile can easily KO Dugtrio with priority Ice Shard, and the latter also packs a strong Pursuit if Dugtrio tries to switch out, though both have to watch out for Reversal. Azumarill easily defeats Dugtrio with priority Aqua Jet. Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate can avoid Arena Trap and Earthquake, which means Dugtrio will have troubles with them. Two prime examples of this are Dragonite and Bronzong, as both are able to set up on it. Moves that hit multiple times, such as Breloom's Bullet Seed and Cloyster's Icicle Spear, can break through Dugtrio's Focus Sash and easily KO it. Most bulky Water-types, such as Vaporeon, Rotom-W, and Politoed, can take Dugtrio's moves and KO it back. Porygon2, although rare, deserves a mention, as it can use Trace to copy Arena Trap and dispatch Dugtrio with a strong Ice Beam. Without Aerial Ace, Breloom and Virizion take little damage from Dugtrio's moves and can easily KO it back. Walls like Hippowdon and Gliscor can use Dugtrio as setup bait, as can Rock Polish Landorus and Double Dance Landorus-T. It is also worth noting that although Dugtrio is a great weather inducer trapper, it has problems against Hippowdon, Abomasnow, and defensive Politoed.</p>

<p>Air Balloon and Shed Shell severely hinder Dugtrio's trapping and revenge killing ability. Anything faster than Dugtrio can easily KO it most of the time, which means that Choice Scarf users and priority moves are really troublesome for it. A common mistake for Dugtrio is to switch into a Pokemon that is unexpectedly holding a Choice Scarf.</p>

[GP]2/2[/GP]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)