Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - UU Edition

Has anyone tried to replicate the Baton Pass Chain style that got recently boosted in OU? I figured that UU lacks only two of the key players (Espeon and Vaporeon), but has Xatu available for magic bounce.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Xatu can't learn Magic Bounce and Baton Pass at the same time.

It's been done before thigh, when Espeon was UU, then it got banned precisely because of BP.

I'm testing some stuff right now, so I could need some insightful opinions.

I need a good Krookodile set that incorporates both Stealth Rock AND Pursuit, this is what I have right now:

Krookodile (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Any suggestions? Other item / ability / spread / moves?

I'm testing some stuff right now, so I could need some insightful opinions.

I need a good Krookodile set that incorporates both Stealth Rock AND Pursuit, this is what I have right now:

Krookodile (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Any suggestions? Other item / ability / spread / moves?
This will sound very wonky-> but a choice scarf on your set may be the bomb . com for you

I know that sounds dumb to have a scarf on a SR Krook but listen->

First off: who doesn't want more speed to avoid the taunt? This is "ask a simple get a simple", so I cba to look up which taunt users you'd outspeed and which you didn't but to be honest---> the point of this isn't to avoid taunt.

Secondly: if you see a Krookodile use Stealth Rocks against a fast pokemon (2nd), get hit for 60% damage, and switch out: you wouldn't think for a second. Krook going second would make them think he was a typical slower dile, and who uses scarf with SR? Then late game: you can pull him out, when he thinks it's deadweight, and moxie sweep.

As a potential sweeper, Houndoom is outclassed by every Fire-type in the tier (Arcanine, Victini, Darmanitan and Chandelure). Pretty much very Dark-type in the tier is also oftentimes more viable than Houndoom (Weavile, Honchkrow, Krookodile, Sharpedo).

Note that all of the above mentioned Pokémon can sweep much easier than Houndoom, which means that you should not build a team around Houndoom as potential sweeper. Because, unless you're a bloody genius, setting up a Houndoom sweep is (in my opinion at least) outright impossible in this metagame.

So where does Houndoom's niche lie? IMO, as an anti-Psychic / Ghost Pokémon. With the mixed trapper set, you can effectively neutralize a high number of common Fighting checks (Psychics and Ghosts) to support your Fighting-type sweeper for the lategame. Funny thing is, while Houndoom is the least used UU Pokémon in the entire tier, it is arguably one of the most effective checks to nearly any Chandelure set.

It's kinda shameless to be self-advertising, but I honestly haven't seen anyone else besides me using Houndoom (as a matter of fact, it is the least used UU Pokémon in the meta IIRC), so you can take a look at my RMT to see what role Houndoom plays in my team.
Ok thanks a lot!

Pokemon Tiers

I've played Pokemon since I was little, but only recently have I heard about or even considered playing against others online. I've been trying to read up on the Tier system, but I don't understand something. I'm going to use the Smogon page on Mew as an example. Mew is currently listed in the UU Tier. However, the only strategy listed for it is OU and Uber. Does this mean that Mew used to be OU and/or Uber and is now in the UU tier? Or does that mean that Mew is in more than one tier at once? If so, am I only allowed to use Mew in the highest (in this case Uber) tier?

A lot of other Pokemon are like this, so I'm just confused as to the Pokemon's exact standing in the tiers.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hello. Welcome to Smogon.

Tiering is very easy to understand. If a Pokemon is listed as UU, then it can be used in UU and every tier above that. Same goes for all the tiers. The reason Mew doesn't have a StrategyDex entry for UU at the moment is because we simply haven't gotten around to write one for it yet (you were correct in guessing it used to be OU).

Hello. Welcome to Smogon.

Tiering is very easy to understand. If a Pokemon is listed as UU, then it can be used in UU and every tier above that. Same goes for all the tiers. The reason Mew doesn't have a StrategyDex entry for UU at the moment is because we simply haven't gotten around to write one for it yet (you were correct in guessing it used to be OU).
Thank you!

TPO3

Never practice; Always perform.
Umbreon/Gligar go together pretty well. In theory, the two together should form a core that's pretty hard to beat. Umbreon walls special attackers, while Gligar walls physical ones. In addition, Umbreon is weak to Fighting and Bug, both of whom Gligar resists. Gligar is weak to Ice and Water, which Umbreon usually doesn't have problems switching in to. If it gets burned by Scald, it can use Heal Bell to heal itself. There area some obvious problems with the core (Chandelure, HP Ice Mienshao, DD Scrafty), but it's a good place to start.

Snorlax in theory would go well with Gligar too. It's only weakness is fighting, and it also walls special attacks. It also has a usable attack stat, and the ability to phaze, and heal itself with Rest. However, it can not use Wish like Umbreon can, nor can it use Heal Bell.

Cofagrigus and Slowbro can both function well as physical walls, while Empoleon and Milotic can be decent special ones. If you want an all-out stall team, Slowking is something to look into as well, as it shuts down most Kingdra sets. ChestoRest Kingdra can give stall problems, as they normally don't carry much firepower, so Kingdra will get multiple boosts in. (Or just make your phazer eat a +1 Waterfall/Outrage.)

Is there a pokemon that can reliably counter/check both Zapdos and Raikou while also having access to either U-turn or Volt Switch?

Is there a pokemon that can reliably counter/check both Zapdos and Raikou while also having access to either U-turn or Volt Switch?
Rotom-Heat.

Period.

One possible set (shoutout to Pocket):

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 100 SAtk / 72 SDef / 88 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Thunder Wave / Will-o-Wisp / Toxic / Pain Split

Note: Enough SpA to 2HKO specially defensive Rhyperior with HP Grass, enough Speed to outrun standard Nidoqueen, min Spe Arcanine / Roserade, as well as neutral max Speed base 65 mons. 2 Atk IVs to lower Foul Play damage.

Lanturn can check those as well, but can't do much in return. While it can toxic Zapdos, it can't really touch SubCM Raikou (although Raikou can't touch Lanturn either). What Lanturn does better than Rotom-H though is stopping Volt Switch and deny momentum.
-> Lanturn is better against choiced Zapdos / Raikou.

kokoloko

There's a big problem with that, though. SubCM Raikou sets up all over it.

This could work:

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Levitate / Careful
248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
- Wild Charge
- U-turn / Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Return ???? idk just something to break subs

This is just something off the top of my head, but the only other thing I could think of that somewhat fulfills your requirements is Baton Pass Umbreon (Baton Pass is the same shit as U-turn if all you're trying to do is keep momentum).

Very impressive set, Warb! Thank you for it; I will try it out and see how it fairs.

EDIT:

Eeletrokiss is something I also hadn't considered either, so thanks Kokoloko. I'll mess with the EV's to fit certain benchmarks.

As for Umbreon, Baton pass is something I can definitely work with since, as you have guessed, I need the Volt-turning to preserve momentum rather than actually dishing out damage. There's also a gligar on the team I'm using, so the two will work together as well!

I'll have to try all three, as each has their own advantages I'm sure. Thanks again, you two.

This is a rather dumb question, but I want to ask a question...Is usage the only thing that determines if a Pokemon drops a tier? It seems that UU is shifting to the point where anyone who cannot take Fighting-type moves will drop sooner or later.

A pokemon's tiering is based on usage yes. It's not the only thing however, as if something is deemed too powerful for the tier that it's usage stats say it should be in it can be removed. The perfect example of this is Chansey, who dropped down because it wasn't used enough in OU, but we decided to kick it up to BL because it was just too good in UU.

A pokemon's tiering is based on usage yes. It's not the only thing however, as if something is deemed too powerful for the tier that it's usage stats say it should be in it can be removed. The perfect example of this is Chansey, who dropped down because it wasn't used enough in OU, but we decided to kick it up to BL because it was just too good in UU.
I see...thank you for the answer! A tidbit of randomness I must say, some Pokemon struggling in UU are rising up in OU. Oh the irony...

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
to answer the question from before about checking zapdos / raikou, scarf flygon is a decent answer as long as you don't bring it in on Raikou HP Ice or Zapdos HP Flying / Ice. also has u-turn obviously subCM raikou will give you some problems since it can sub on the switch and ease prediction, but you're faster than either of them without a choice scarf, and if they have a choice scarf ideally they're not locked into HP ice - if they are just switch in your water or whatever

What would be some good partners for SubSeed Sceptile in UU?
I was thinking of Unaware Quagsire which helps against set up sweepers ('cause setting up is the best you can do against a SubSeeder poke). Another one is Arcanine, who lures in bulky waters for Sceptile, while also handling Grass types that Sceptile himself has trouble with.
Any other suggestions? I'm new to UU, so if someone can give me advice on exactly what sets to run, that will be highly appreciated as well.

Also, should I use Encore Wynaut?

What would be some good partners for SubSeed Sceptile in UU?
I was thinking of Unaware Quagsire which helps against set up sweepers ('cause setting up is the best you can do against a SubSeeder poke). Another one is Arcanine, who lures in bulky waters for Sceptile, while also handling Grass types that Sceptile himself has trouble with.
Any other suggestions? I'm new to UU, so if someone can give me advice on exactly what sets to run, that will be highly appreciated as well.

Also, should I use Encore Wynaut?
SubSeed Secptile is going to want to be paired with something that can easily remove opposing Grass-types, specifically Shaymin and Roserade. You mentioned Arcanine, which is a good idea, but you may also want to consider Crobat. Thanks to its secondary typing, Roserade's Sludge Bomb won't hurt Crobat in the least. Acess to U-Turn also lets Crobat pivot and scout the opposing team, giving Sceptile opportunities to set-up. Encore Wynaut really isn't that good, as better trappers have emerged, such as Gothorita. Gothorita can Trick opposing walls with Choice Specs, then give Sceptile room to come in and set up. SubSeed Sceptile is also going to want entry hazards support, as Leech Seed will discourage many threats from staying in for too long. Rhyperior can set up Stealth Rock and help check Raikou, Zapdos, Darmanitan, and many other threats.

Hope this helped!

Is there any pratical use for Softboiled-Togekiss? The resistences you keep don't appear to be too impressive, maybe besides Fighting and Ground.

Is there any pratical use for Softboiled-Togekiss? The resistences you keep don't appear to be too impressive, maybe besides Fighting and Ground.
Not really. Togekiss is better off using Wish, as it can heal itself and its teammates, or Roost, temporarily alleviating the Rock-, Ice-, and Electric-type weaknesses Togekiss carries.

Nothing's saying no to using it however. Roost and Wish just do the whole healing thing better.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Togekiss really wants Roost so it can somewhat heal up on a paralyzed Zapdos, Raikou, or any Rhyperior. Wish is also a decent option.

I have been a predominant OU player since my return to Pokemon in early winter. I am trying to get back into UU gameplay, because that's what I used to play back in the day. Are there any common resources where I could read up on the current UU metagame as of today or this month, and where other resources are that could help me get better prepared and find a better understanding of this metagame. If so, could someone help me out please! Thank you.

Nas

Banned deucer.
The January UU Stats list the most used Pokemon, leads, and playstyles in the UU tier. The UU Viability Ranking thread categorizes all UU-viable Pokemon according to their effectiveness in the UU metagame. Also, the UU Hub contains the latest news, resources, and projects related to the UU tier. Finally, the best way to learn more about the metagame is to talk with the people who play it; visit the channel #genvuu on irc, and I'm sure you'll find many people willing to help you out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)