Simple Questions & Simple Answers & General Resources (OU Edition) MK II

Status
Not open for further replies.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
But, when the results of suspect #9 will be post? I can't wait to know if Keldeo is going to Uber, or not, for my actually team, and the next suspect for ban drizzle and drought :]
it's a vote, you'll know the results when the vote is done. as others have already said, the vote has not started yet; voters have to first be identified and then they'll be given access to the voting thread

Thanks. And what exactly does it mean by "not released" I've never understood that.
"not released" means exactly what it sounds like. the pokemon has never been released with that ability. in the original BW1 only a select few dream world pokemon were actually available in the game (eg zen mode darmanitan). the rest have to be released through special events, in successive games (eg regenerator foonguss/skill link minccino in BW2) or in the dream world. those that have not yet been released in this way cannot legally be obtained by any means (the only way is by hacking them), and thus are ineligible for standard play

Whats the best/most popular/most effective kind of team to use out there these days? Ive been trying out sun, defensive anti metagame, and stall teams, and while im getting mild success, its not really the success ive been aiming for. I would imagine it would be offensive rain or hyper offense being the most effective nowadays.

I knew it :P do those types of teams require a lot of prediction? Im yet to try it out, but im more for actual planning and attacking rather than sitting for 2 minutes wondering what does what... Although thats what ive been doing for a while :P also, how well does hyper offensive rain work?

LilOu

PO poopyhead
I knew it :P do those types of teams require a lot of prediction? Im yet to try it out, but im more for actual planning and attacking rather than sitting for 2 minutes wondering what does what... Although thats what ive been doing for a while :P also, how well does hyper offensive rain work?
Uhmm...in my opinion sand offense is the best, but considering which weather is the more used, rain wins. The standard offensive rain team consists on Tornadus-T, Politoed, Keldeo, Jirachi, Latios and last pokemon is your choice.

Talking about HO, im not experienced in it but i'd say that using weather on it is a waste of time. The main purpose of this playstyle is to set up hazards and attack like a raging Darmanitan so this about use tornadus-T or specs poli in HO just makes the team less effective because you have to care about the opponent's weather.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hyper Offensive is better separated from weather as HO teams consists of Deoxys-D+5 sweepers that focus on getting up entry hazards quickly using Deoxys-D and your sweepers to break through your opponents team. The entry hazards help your sweepers turn 2HKO's into OHKO's. With the sweepers, they often have similar checks so that they will eventually be able to wear down the checks and break through the opponent's team. Usually you do not want to run weather with this, as the weather starters are fairly weak in general outside of Tyranitar and the primary focus is to get up hazards then sweep and not have to worry about a weather war. This playstyle is one of the most common weatherless styles and is quite effective. A sample team might look like: Deoxys-D, Dragon Dance Dragonite, Swords Dance Lucario, Choice Band Terrakion, Focus Sash Alakazam, and Choice Scarf Salamence.

Hyper Offensive is better separated from weather as HO teams consists of Deoxys-D+5 sweepers that focus on getting up entry hazards quickly using Deoxys-D and your sweepers to break through your opponents team. The entry hazards help your sweepers turn 2HKO's into OHKO's. With the sweepers, they often have similar checks so that they will eventually be able to wear down the checks and break through the opponent's team. Usually you do not want to run weather with this, as the weather starters are fairly weak in general outside of Tyranitar and the primary focus is to get up hazards then sweep and not have to worry about a weather war. This playstyle is one of the most common weatherless styles and is quite effective. A sample team might look like: Deoxys-D, Dragon Dance Dragonite, Swords Dance Lucario, Choice Band Terrakion, Focus Sash Alakazam, and Choice Scarf Salamence.

I would recommend Gengar to spin block and its still usuable offensively like Kidogo said as well. You wouldn't want to get Hazards up and then have them spun away.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
as one of the people who was running it: probably not in the immediate future. suspect testing eats into the activity of ladder challenges bigtime and we had some concerns about how to structure the challenge restrictions in a weather-centric metagame

Thanks for all the answers :)

Ive been trying out hyper offense, and it has been getting me some success so far, and ive only tried it out for a bit.

Just two questions.

1) are using all boosting sweepers a bad idea? Or should there be outright attackers as well or all throughout?

2) how do you if youve got great offensive synergy? So far ive got subsplit gengar, screen espeon, subdance volcarona, subcm keldeo, np celebi, and lead normal gem explosion azelf, and im not too sure how to determine if ive got it down. I only know how to do defensive tactics and synergy >.<

1) Unless you have straight-up Jesus synergy in your team (which you yourself don't know), this sounds like a bad idea. For example: How are you going to take care of DD Salamence if you don't have something that can stomach +1 Outrage or something that can outspeed him after he's set-up?

2) Offensive synergy means that your team as a whole covers a wide range of threats offensively (duh). Take Chansey's drop (and apparently swift ban) to UU for example, or even before with Snorlax. If you didn't have something to break Snorlax, usually a powerful physical Fighting attack such as Heracross' Close Combat or Azumarill's Superpower, all your insanely powerful special attackers like Raikou and Chandelure couldn't do jack. Now apply that to OU and OU's threats.

Now, there will be oddball shit that people will use that will trip you up. Unaware Quagsire is extremely uncommon nowadays, but if you typically rely on a boosting Pokémon (such as SubCM Keldeo) to get rid of stubborn walls, you're gonna have a bad time. I realize Quagsire itself is a bad example for your team as you have an offensive Celebi, but the analogy still stands.

Hey, can someone please link me to the forum guidelines? Its the page that gives a link to the image sprite resize as well the a .gif image of all the pokemon

Just curious, what exactly makes physically defensive Vaporeon superior to specially defensive Vaporeon? What important threat is walled by physically defensive Vaporeon that specially defensive misses out on? I've tried them both and sp defensive seems to have a much more resiliant feel and often catches people off guard.

The only thing I can currently think of that phsycally defensive stops that sp defensive doesn't is Infernape and scizor (only swords dance, choice band doesn't do enough) and possibly mamo.

However, it gains so much on the special side, alakazam, gengar, starmie, TORNADUS-T, volcarona, LATI@S, and hydragion. The Tornadus-T and lati@s are espcically important.

also, unlike the simular pink blobs, Vap can phase and actually does damage.

Why no use sp def vap!?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The metagame is chock full of threats that hit much harder on the physical side than their special tiermates. In addition, the only one of the threats you listed that Vaporeon can hurt in return is Volcarona, who often carries Giga Drain and a Lum Berry regardless.

The purpose is to make Vaporeon a bit of a mixed wall, if I'm analyzing it correctly. It already has base 90 SpDef and that's backed up by base 130 HP. You're already taking a lot of resisted special hits very well (Fire, Water, Ice), but base 60 Def leaves a lot to be desired.

can someone please tell me when ou suspect voting is? i put my screen shot in the voter identification thread and was expecting the vote to be done in about 3 days, but nothing has really happened. sry i'm new

Ok this has happened several times to me, whenever a suspect test ends I can never tell if something is banned or not. Are either Tornadus-T or Keldeo banned? How can I avoid this confusion in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)