Yilx first place artist

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Instantly thought of FF X-2, despite the Touhou tribute. I am always intrigued by images with depth, which you've managed well by adding fine details to some parts while others stay less defined. Her head and body appears to be the main focus, but her limbs doesn't seem to be following the same depth perception though, like how her left arm is unusually sharp compared to both her right hand and left leg. Her hair could also use some single strands in-between the tufts, so that she doesn't look like she overloaded it with gel.

With that said, the gritty look combined with colors of low saturation made for an easy eyecatcher, and I'd love to see other iterations of it.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have little complaints about this image ...... except for the eyes. I can't really pinpoint what's bothering me about them, but it might just be that I don't find the sparkly anime eyes to be appropriate for the setting. Try to remove some of their reflections and see how it turns out.

also I can't recall if that earlier WIP of yours included a drink or not. Either way, I was looking forward seeing a tipsy Nocturna.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
love ya, yilx

can we use it on site?
sure thing

I have little complaints about this image ...... except for the eyes. I can't really pinpoint what's bothering me about them, but it might just be that I don't find the sparkly anime eyes to be appropriate for the setting. Try to remove some of their reflections and see how it turns out.

also I can't recall if that earlier WIP of yours included a drink or not. Either way, I was looking forward seeing a tipsy Nocturna.
I was setting a time limit on this one and the glass would have taken a little too long than i would have liked. i know what you mean about the eyes, but i wanted some kind of funny contrast; i see what you mean though, i might experiment with something else if i have the luxury of time again

also she's necturna lol

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
aaahhhh I love that Necturna painting :) <3
Personally I like the eyes, I think they add a lot of interest and mood. Also the bright purple and rusty orange look awesome together, normally I'd think that would be a jarring combo but you made it work

The strong lighting on the shorts really works, adds the effect of strain to the picture which is already created by the weight.

A couple of things that bug me:

- The plaster on the nose. Perspective just isn't right for me, it looks stuck o (Pardon the pun), whereas I'd imagine it to bend round the nose.
- One of the fingers on her right hand (the one not holding the weight) is very blurry.
- The top of the hair is lacking shadow, it darkens in the middle but not enough, at the moment it looks flat, almost smooth.
- I'm not a fan of that random white dot on her cheek

Not my favourite piece of yours but you really did work the clothing well in this one.

Yilx

Sad
The strong lighting on the shorts really works, adds the effect of strain to the picture which is already created by the weight.

A couple of things that bug me:

- The plaster on the nose. Perspective just isn't right for me, it looks stuck o (Pardon the pun), whereas I'd imagine it to bend round the nose.
- One of the fingers on her right hand (the one not holding the weight) is very blurry.
- The top of the hair is lacking shadow, it darkens in the middle but not enough, at the moment it looks flat, almost smooth.
- I'm not a fan of that random white dot on her cheek

Not my favourite piece of yours but you really did work the clothing well in this one.
Thanks for the feedback! I made a few changes. I fixed it a little and made her moe blush stronger so it dosen't look like a random white dot.

edit: fixed hueg hips

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lovely art regardless, but is it just me, or is the lower half of her body seems disproportionately larger than her upper body? I may be wrong, though, since I haven't really looked into girl anatomy too closely

Yilx

Sad
Lovely art regardless, but is it just me, or is the lower half of her body seems disproportionately larger than her upper body? I may be wrong, though, since I haven't really looked into girl anatomy too closely
Nah you're right, I exeggerated it alot lol
edit: fixed

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
you're good at drawing girls, but man your scenery / background is always breath taking.

Let there be clear skies~

Love the way you've done the clouds, not only is the detail fantastic but the way they drag across the sky really exaggerates the perspective. Love the rusty effect on the tank too.

Her right foot (the one too our left) bugs me a bit, it just seems put at the wrong angle?

Keep it up because this shit is good.

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus
Yilx your art is too good. Your use of color and lighting and everything and aaaaa it's just so fantastic. Your latest piece, I love the atmospheric red giving everything an intensity, but there is just something bugging me about the face. It may just be that I'm not particular to those anime-cute-girl faces, but her nose seems really small and flat, like it should at least be bumping out a touch towards us but is instead a cutout. I dunno, that seems like a tiny nitpick compared to your amazing everything with all your arts. No more tears, yilx, you are too good for that.

Think the lighting on the hair is a bit too harsh on the latest one Yilx, it immediately draws my focus away from the face which is where I feel as though I should be looking. I think if you toned it down a little then it would make the face stick out a bit more, as Kadew said it seems a little flat at the moment.

Take nothing away from that background light though, I would think that some of the reds you've used are too solid but they really work. Adds a shit tonne of atmosphere, great stuff!

Also how do you begin painting your hair on your characters exactly? Is it all done by brush? using a single brush? smudging? any particular settings? Either way the hair is a consistently well drawn factor in all of your pieces and one which I don't credit you often enough with.

Looking forward to more!

Concurring with Juicy's opinion on the hair lighting- it really dominates the picture, lovely though the shading is- and yeah, her nose is practically not there, she looks a bit like Voldemort's little sister ;P i realize it's an anime style and everything, but noses are a good thing, promise! And the fact that her mouth is smaller than a single one of her -eyes- is a little offputting, stylistic choice or no.

Still, all your stuff is beautiful and makes me extremely jealous Q____Q

Yilx

Sad
Aw didn't expect any comments on this piece lol.

Thanks guys. I think I'll go a little closer towards real anatomy on the face and try to not overdo painting on one part of the piece.

Juicy Fruit: You're right, I probably should have gradiented or made the red wrap around the proper form more instead of just applying it as a solid fill. I didn't want to spend too much time on this however, but thanks for pointing it out!

I am just in love with all of these pictures <3 Good job and good luck on your future projects!
Also, mind if i use some of these pics? That ice flying yanmega is just to amazing lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)