Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, in a deterministic universe like ours, it doesn't matter what his rank in in relation to the start or end of the battle, you seeing the rank will have no effect on what the rank is.

In short, it doesn't matter what his rank is.
When I play people with lower rankings then me I tend to play with less predictions and always take the safe route. When I play players with high ranks I tend to take more risks and predict more often. When you try to predict on newer players it ends up screwing you ever.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think it would be nice that, when a player checks /rank, ACRE, GXE, and Glicko2 have a link to an explanation on what they are, like the forum posts for instance, so people stop asking it and everyone can know.
Lol Joim

If we're going to do this, why not make a whole link next to [Rules] called [FAQ] that links to a page with frequent questions and answers tp those questions. This way, 'frequently asked questions' such as:
-what does Glicko2 mean?
-can I change my name color?
-what do I do if my opponent is breaking rules?
-how do I use teambuilder?
-etc etc

In fact, I know it's more work but I think it's be a fine idea if we could somehow implement a greeting message to people when they log in- kind of like on PO. This message should show up every time someone logs in, instead of every time they change alts, so as to minimize lag. It could be an automatic /commands, or a linl to FAQ / the Rules. Just an idea.

When I play people with lower rankings then me I tend to play with less predictions and always take the safe route. When I play players with high ranks I tend to take more risks and predict more often. When you try to predict on newer players it ends up screwing you ever.
Lolwut I'd act the exact opposite way, as it's easier to make risky predictive plays against newer players

Anyway, I think it's fine the way it is; you're basing your support on the fact that everyone's rank directly corresponds to their level, which is pretty far from the truth. There are plenty of people who utilize alts that have different rankings from each other, despite being used by the same person with the same skill level. You shouldn't really judge how you're going to play based on the rank of your opponent, but instead based on their skill level after analyzing their actions during the first few turns of the match.

Lol Joim

If we're going to do this, why not make a whole link next to [Rules] called [FAQ] that links to a page with frequent questions and answers tp those questions. This way, 'frequently asked questions' such as:
-what does Glicko2 mean?
-etc etc

In fact, I know it's more work but I think it's be a fine idea if we could somehow implement a greeting message to people when they log in- kind of like on PO. This message should show up every time someone logs in, instead of every time they change alts, so as to minimize lag. It could be an automatic /commands, or a linl to FAQ / the Rules. Just an idea.

Lolwut I'd act the exact opposite way, as it's easier to make risky predictive plays against newer players

Anyway, I think it's fine the way it is; you're basing your support on the fact that everyone's rank directly corresponds to their level, which is pretty far from the truth. There are plenty of people who utilize alts that have different rankings from each other, despite being used by the same person with the same skill level. You shouldn't really judge how you're going to play based on the rank of your opponent, but instead based on their skill level after analyzing their actions during the first few turns of the match.
True, true. I remember in PO it used to tell me how much my rank would go up if I won, so if it was a small number, they were lower. If it was high then they have a high rank and are probably good. I liked that because it gave me a good idea at where their skill level was. You do have a valid point. I don't just determine my playstyle on their ranking. I look at their team too and look for cores and stuff. If their team is solid and their ranking is modest I know that they're testing that team and is using an ALT. I just think it would help.

Edit: I think you read my post wrong. I tend to take the safe route against newer players because I know they are not going to predict and I am going to get screwed over. SO in short I tend not to double switch when I am playing newer players as it always screws me over.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Lol Joim

-what does Glicko2 mean?
-etc etc

I thought about this today again and I remembered your post. I'd like something like this to pop in chat everytime someone logs in, unless it's a voice or auth (since we aren't really supposed to need them):

'<div style="border:1px solid #6688AA;padding:2px 4px"><strong>Welcome to Pokemon Showdown!</strong><br />' +
'Feel free to check the <a href="http://www.smogon.com/sim/faq" target="_blank">FAQ</a> to answer any inquiry you may have. Refrain from asking questions in chat before all the questions answered there are clear to you.<br />' +
'To change your avatar, type "/avatars" on the chat.<br />' +
'To see the list of chat commands available to you, type "/help" or "/help all".<br />' +
'You can't change your name's color.<br />' +
'If you have any questions on Auths, the PS Staff, check <a href="http://www.smogon.com/sim/staff_faq" target="_blank">this</a> page.<br />' +
'Have fun!' +
'</div>'
Also, I must recall this:
Yes, please, modlog for us and also temp mutes.
Also, I find it funny that mute mutes all alts but unmute just unmutes the target.
Temp mutes and temp bans (even maybe for Drivers) would be really nice, you set up the time and it saves a timestamp so it's automatically gone when it's due.

It would be cool if /k was fixed so we could kick too. Sometimes it would be the right thing to do but we can't.

10 second Battle Time keeps screwing up battles because of my laggy computer.

Can we make it so the Battle Time only reduces to 30 seconds? I would even be happy with 20 seconds.

10 second Battle Time keeps screwing up battles because of my laggy computer.

Can we make it so the Battle Time only reduces to 30 seconds? I would even be happy with 20 seconds.
AFAIK you have to constantly let the Battle Timer drop low for it to go down to ten seconds a turn. If you make your earlier moves without waiting too long it shouldn't drop down that far.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Actually, you always get at least 20 seconds for every decision, and 30 seconds a turn. The only case where you get less than 30 seconds for a decision is if you used up all 30 seconds earlier in the same turn (for U-turn decisions, etc). Even then, you'll still get 20 seconds.

AFAIK you have to constantly let the Battle Timer drop low for it to go down to ten seconds a turn. If you make your earlier moves without waiting too long it shouldn't drop down that far.
I agree. I am prompt to select an action for my pokemon to do. Here's what happened:

My opponent takes too long to make his move every turn. So eventually, the battle timer cracks down on the both of us, and only gives me 10 seconds to select a move, even though I have been quick to make my moves before. I lag just a little bit, and it's over. The battle ends due to 10 seconds of (lag) inactivity.

I end up suffering for my opponent's failure to make his moves early. I wonder if he was doing that on purpose...

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
I agree. I am prompt to select an action for my pokemon to do. Here's what happened:

My opponent takes too long to make his move every turn. So eventually, the battle timer cracks down on the both of us, and only gives me 10 seconds to select a move, even though I have been quick to make my moves before. I lag just a little bit, and it's over. The battle ends due to 10 seconds of (lag) inactivity.

I end up suffering for my opponent's failure to make his moves early. I wonder if he was doing that on purpose...
Please take a screenshot or copy/paste a battle log.

Your opponent's time to move does not affect you at all, and there is no way to get less than 30 seconds in a turn or 20 seconds in any single decision.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
pokemononline allows you to choose the ratings of your opponents which is pretty nice
PS's matchup system tries to pair you with people of a similar rank (±200 for OU and randbats, ±400 for other tiers) then increases those numbers by 1 every .3 seconds that you search for a battle.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Why doesn't someone open up a Q&A for the forums so people can ask questions? I was asking a few questions and one of the mods told me to stop asking these questions (I was reffering to why PS was released when it was still in its Beta stage). I aksed why I can't ask these questions and here was my answer:

+butteredcorn: cuz the person who is asking why doesn't even have any pokemon battles.

So because I don't ladder on PS (because its in its Beta stage) I can't ask questions on PS or people won't take me seriously?!?! That's kinda outrageous (and that's a shitty argument too), which is why I propose a Q&A thread.

Obviously, questions answer on the "official Q&A" page will be linked and will be told not to ask those questions. Which can take care of common questions, as well as allow new ones too. Active forums for these questions are good too.

What do you guys think?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
We just recently added an FAQ command that helps answer pretty much every common question.

As for your original question, it'll be out of beta when it's out of beta. It became the official simulator before it was out of beta because everybody moved there by July since it's an all-around better simulator than PO and POv2. Seriously, just use PS...

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
It's the not-common questions I'm concerned about. If we had an active forum for these uncommon questions it will only improve PS...

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
It's the not-common questions I'm concerned about. If we had an active forum for these uncommon questions it will only improve PS...
Actually we used to but a certain supermod closed it accidentally when trying to delete a spammers post inside it, currently no one has opened a new one :(

Promoting:
-The power to change our Display name color.
-Power to kick or ignore spectators

My Own
-An Item Clause option for any tier

This is a controversial one, but:
- No Weather option
(only preventing permanent weather inducers from coming into play.

I believe the latter two would add a competitive spark or twist you could say to the OU tier.

My Own
-An Item Clause option for any tier

This is a controversial one, but:
- No Weather option
(only preventing permanent weather inducers from coming into play.

I believe the latter two would add a competitive spark or twist you could say to the OU tier.
Item Clause may be implemented when custom challenges are further expanded, it won't be implemented into the actual ladders aside from VGC (which is mandated by Nintendo, not us).

No Weather has been implemented previously due to complaints and it did not receive any recognizable activity to stay (It had less than a third of the battles than LC is averaging currently). This will likely not be re-implemented unless there's a large enough group to justify the creation of that ladder.

A "tie option" in battles

Hi, im ABfloww on PS some of you may know me.

My suggestion is that we have a tie button in battles, so that if both players agree that the battle isnt going anywhere have an option on suggesting a tie.

but it should me made so that it can only be pressed once, or people will be mis-using it.

Thanks for your time, pls do take this into consideration

I'm a relatively new user of PS, but in the 5 months that I've been playing, I've seen countless people ask about avatars on the chat. Some people ask for the link to the avatars list while others mess up when trying to change their avatar, typing the command incorrectly.

I can't count how many times I've said "try /avatar 101" or used the !avatars command. I think that an avatar button or link should be placed at the top of the screen near the rules so that new users unfamiliar with commands can change avatars without disturbing the chat.

I know that this is a relatively minor complaint and I realize that there are bigger and better implementations to make to PS (like the new 1 vs. 1 Challenge, which is so much fun!) but I only wanted to make a friendly suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)