Pokémon trivia you may have missed!

Thanks you guys are right, I meant to include the nincada line but forgot onyx and pupitar entirely, guess i really hate johtou, as redemption Sinnou offered the least amount of new type combinations (14) compared to the others who were all in the 20s.

The Azurill Hypothesis.

Myself and another poster on GameFAQs by the name of jayman7 discovered the most likely reason behind Azurill's many strange characteristics that aren't shared by its evolutions: it was programmed into Ruby/Sapphire using Cleffa as a template.

Cleffa and Azurill share evolution method, type, catch rate, gender ratio, and experience curve. GameFreak must have copied and pasted Cleffa's data when programming Azurill since they're both Baby Pokemon that evolve into members of the Fairy Egg Group. The evolution method (Happiness) wouldn't need to be changed, and the shared experience curve (800,000 Exp.) also facilitated the copy-paste job.

However, the other three characteristics they share are the ones that really stand out. The type (Normal), because it obviously doesn't match Marill and Azumarill's Water type. The catch rate (150), because Marill's catch rate is 190 which means Azurill is actually more difficult to catch than its evolution and that makes little sense. The gender ratio (25/75), because it doesn't match Marill and Azumarill's 50/50 and results in one-in-three female Azurill to evolve into male Marill.

As you can see, it's very likely that GameFreak took Cleffa's data and used it as a starting point for making Azurill. However, for some reason they didn't change enough. GameFreak didn't even adjust its type or gender ratio to match those of its evolutions, resulting in the anomaly that is Azurill.

Uh, another thing upon evolution: Gloom > Bellossom is the only evolution that make a pokémon losing a type (losing =/= changing)

Numel and Camerupt are the only Pokemon evolutionary line with completely unique sets of three abilities each. Because of this, ALL Numel change abilities when evolving.

Numel - Oblivious, Simple, Own Tempo
Camerupt - Magma Armor, Solid Rock, Anger Point

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
You probably know this already, but Swablu is the only pokemon to change it's primary type through evolution. From normal/flying to dragon/flying, and not the other way around.

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
You probably know this already, but Swablu is the only pokemon to change it's primary type through evolution. From normal/flying to dragon/flying, and not the other way around.
onix does as well, and if you consider a single type as a primary type, then eevee and azurill fall under this category.

This gen 2 prototype is the strangest Pokemon I've ever seen:

Is it related to Clefairy? Was it supposed to be a standalone Pokemon? Did Hitmontop steal it's shtick? To me, it kind of resembles a strange UFO of sorts so I always tied it to the Cleffa-line.

A beta-version of Poliwhirl/Poliwrath is very different in style from what we actually got:

While Poliwrath is a fitness master, the guy above looks an overweight, lazy king. Some of that concept may have bled into Politoed, who evolves via trade with the King's Rock, and its Pokedex entries state it acts as a leader of Poliwags...

I wish we get some prototype/beta leaks from gen 6, it's fascinating. Deino-line was supposed to be military/tank based?! I'd love to see that idea resurrected.

Not really trivia, but if you ever want to shatter people's perceptions of Pokemon, this is always a good thing to tell them:

In the games...

Blastoise is 5'3"
Venusaur is 6'7"
Charizard is 5'7"

Then sit back as they go NOOOOOOO.

Actually, in general, Pokemon are smaller than people think they are/how they're depicted in the anime.
Another really strange height thing:
Excadrill relative to human characters in the anime:

According to the Pokedex, Excadrill is only 0.7m (or 2'04"). So this really powerful worthy of being uber Pokemon is the same height as a Bellsprout. It's always interesting looking up Pokemon's height, it's never quite what one expects...

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Also, Arcanine is stated to have a height of 1.9 metres. Taller than most humans. Would have a hard time fitting into most living rooms. Hariyama is even taller with 2.3 metres, its head almost scraping the ceiling of most residental homes.

On the other end of the scale, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf and Jirachi are no taller than a 1.5 litre soda bottle. Your forearm is probably longer from elbow to fingertip than these pixies would be.

Also, Arcanine is stated to have a height of 1.9 metres. Taller than most humans. Would have a hard time fitting into most living rooms. Hariyama is even taller with 2.3 metres, its head almost scraping the ceiling of most residental homes.

On the other end of the scale, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf and Jirachi are no taller than a 1.5 litre soda bottle. Your forearm is probably longer from elbow to fingertip than these pixies would be.
I was going to call you out as wrong until I thought about it XD.

Arcanine is only 3 inches taller than me, so I was aghast at your "have a hard time fitting into your average living room" thing until I thought two things.

1) It's significantly longer than it is tall
2) My living room is a little bit larger than is typical as well.

Same deal for Hariyama. I was like "7'7"? phaw, that's not even close to the ceilin- oh wait our house was built was higher ceilings than normal due to some weird design constraints, that's right."

So yeah that is pretty crazy to think about. I imagined Hariyama and Arcanine to be big, but not quite THAT big.

Well yeah, Arcanine was never shown to be pet-sized. He's always been 'huge', in all media.

Arcanine was originally a Legendary alongside the 3 birds.

No Ghost type move has less than a 100% accuracy

If a theoretical Pokémon of every single type existed, it's only weakness would be Rock.

Hitmonchan is based on Jackie Chan. Hitmonlee is based on Bruce Lee. They are play on words. Hitmonchan= Jackie Chan, Hitmonlee= Bruce Lee

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Anyways for some sprite trivia Linoone manages to have essentially the same sprite for all of gen 3 and 4. The only differences from the r/s to the hg/ss is a few pixels and adding a few colours (easiest to tell from the shiny nose). The sad part is that there were a few minor pixel changes so Game Freak was correcting sprites but never say a need to change the sprite.

The other two close contenders for Linoone are Skarmory and Pineco. Their sprite pose remains the same for r/s-d/p/p. Skarmory gets a noticeable colour change and expansion. Pineceo's just stays the same, and unless you zoom in you could barely tell he got a change in sprite in hg/ss.

Teddiursa is the only Johto mon with a new frontsprite in fr/lg.

Anyways for some sprite trivia Linoone manages to have essentially the same sprite for all of gen 3 and 4. The only differences from the r/s to the hg/ss is a few pixels and adding a few colours (easiest to tell from the shiny nose). The sad part is that there were a few minor pixel changes so Game Freak was correcting sprites but never say a need to change the sprite.

The other two close contenders for Linoone are Skarmory and Pineco. Their sprite pose remains the same for r/s-d/p/p. Skarmory gets a noticeable colour change and expansion. Pineceo's just stays the same, and unless you zoom in you could barely tell he got a change in sprite in hg/ss.

Teddiursa is the only Johto mon with a new frontsprite in fr/lg.

breh

強いだね
Myself and another poster on GameFAQs by the name of jayman7 discovered the most likely reason behind Azurill's many strange characteristics that aren't shared by its evolutions: it was programmed into Ruby/Sapphire using Cleffa as a template.

Cleffa and Azurill share evolution method, type, catch rate, gender ratio, and experience curve. GameFreak must have copied and pasted Cleffa's data when programming Azurill since they're both Baby Pokemon that evolve into members of the Fairy Egg Group. The evolution method (Happiness) wouldn't need to be changed, and the shared experience curve (800,000 Exp.) also facilitated the copy-paste job.

However, the other three characteristics they share are the ones that really stand out. The type (Normal), because it obviously doesn't match Marill and Azumarill's Water type. The catch rate (150), because Marill's catch rate is 190 which means Azurill is actually more difficult to catch than its evolution and that makes little sense. The gender ratio (25/75), because it doesn't match Marill and Azumarill's 50/50 and results in one-in-three female Azurill to evolve into male Marill.

As you can see, it's very likely that GameFreak took Cleffa's data and used it as a starting point for making Azurill. However, for some reason they didn't change enough. GameFreak didn't even adjust its type or gender ratio to match those of its evolutions, resulting in the anomaly that is Azurill.
This is genuinely neat; the first actual bit of trivia I've learned since coming here. I'm going to enjoy telling my friends this. It just makes sense; there is so much data to support it.

Ominous Wind was likely created as a flavor move solely for Giratina and then later given to other Pokemon. It appears in a long list of signature moves in the indexed move list, coming right before Shadow Force.

Dia is the first main character to never have joined the enemy team, ruby is the second protagonist to do so despite being the 3rd to be introduced, Dia along with gold are the only main characters to have never gotten a badge, or even to have fought a gym leader

Dia is the first main character to never have joined the enemy team, ruby is the second protagonist to do so despite being the 3rd to be introduced, Dia along with gold are the only main characters to have never gotten a badge, or even to have fought a gym leader
what?

There's no fun in just linking to everything, as the majority of this trivia can be found on Bulbapedia or elsewhere anyway.
Yea, but some of this stuff is really hard to find because it is so specific, or not known to most people. (or even a conspiracy theory!) I can literally find beta art of Pokemon on Google images.

Also,satisfaction is talking about the manga. (I know because she/he is in a group with me that he/she likes manga)

Red joined team rocket, gold pretended to be an iron knight under Archie and ruby aided team Magmas Courtney, Dia was the first protagonist to never be aligned with the criminal organization

Red joined team rocket, gold pretended to be an iron knight under Archie and ruby aided team Magmas Courtney, Dia was the first protagonist to never be aligned with the criminal organization
...he did?

edit: ah ok checked he did at one point infiltrate it
although the term 'protagonist' is a little bit ambiguous since it can also mean the rivals/third member/etc, and blue (the guy) never joined any criminal organisation

At level 13, Buneary can learn Frustration.
At the same level, Lopunny can learn Return.
I guess it's because of Buneary evolving through Friendship, but it's still interesting.

EDIT: oh, and even more interestingly, they're the only two who can learn either move by level up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)