Breeding for good IVs

I see everywhere in the Trading forums that people have a lot of Pokemon with very good IVs. I was wondering how I would get them as well.

If I had a Modest Bagon with (speed last) 30/3/28/31/30/31
and a Modest Ditto with these IVs (speed last): 29/6/31/31/31

How would I go about breeding them to get a Modest Ditto with really good IVs?

Also, can you breed for good IVs just from one parent so if the Bagon has bad IVs but the Ditto has 31 in each stat, could you breed the Bagon and the Ditto to get a Bagon with all 31 IVs?

Check out that topic, but while I'm at it:

Also, can you breed for good IVs just from one parent so if the Bagon has bad IVs but the Ditto has 31 in each stat, could you breed the Bagon and the Ditto to get a Bagon with all 31 IVs?
Assuming Ditto passes down 3 stats, and the other 3 are randomly generated:

(1/12) x (1/10) x (1/8 ) x (1/31)^3 = 1 / 28,599,360

Oh, and if you wanted Bagon to be a certain nature, say, Ditto's nature, make Ditto hold an Everstone. Your chances are now:

1 / 57,198,720.

Happy breeding!

From the Breeding Guide:

Breeding Guide said:
First, the baby's IVs are generated at random [...]

Then a parent's random IV is chosen, and passed to the baby[...]

Then a parent's random IV (other than an HP IV) is chosen, and passed to the baby[...]

Finally, a parent's random IV (other than an HP or a Defense IV) is chosen, and inherited to the baby[...]

Note that the amount of IVs passed from the parents is not always 3, for the following two reasons. Firstly, the random baby IVs created at the start might match some of the IVs of the parents, which would seem as if the baby got passed more than 3 IVs. Secondly, two or three of the IVs passed to the baby might be in the same stat, which would seem as if the baby got passed less than 3 IVs.

This means that the baby will always inherit between 1 and 6 IVs from the parents.

That description is self conflicting, or at the very least just adds to the confusion.

Just because by coincidence a random IV matches a parent IV does NOT mean that the IV was actually passed on.

So basically it is always 3, but may appear to be more or less due to coincidence in random number generation.

Or am I reading it wrong?

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
it is not always three IVs, it is always three steps (emerald, diamond and pearl)...

six randoms are chosen first
STEP 1: one IV from hp/at/def/sA/sD/speed
STEP 2: one IV from at/def/sA/sD/speed
STEP 3: one IV from at/sA/sD/speed

the IV selected in a later step overwrites the previous -> if this happens you get less than 3 IVs, if a random IV matches an IV from its parents it´s impossible to tell whether it was chosen as inherited or as random, that´s why there´s the formulation "will inherit"

example: all random IVs are different than the IVs of the parents and in each step attack IV is selected, let´s say parent A attack in step 3, this would result in only one IV being passed - attack IV of parent A...

EDIT: to be more accurate, the parents pass 1-3 IVs, but it may seem like they pass more than 3 if the randoms match IVs of the parents

well i don't know what the hell i'm doing wrong, but i just can't get a friggin MAGIKARP that has both 31 attack and speed, despite the fact that the father has 31 attack and the mother 31 speed. i've hatched thousands of eggs. if they have high attack, they have low speed and vice verca. its so sad.

it is not always three IVs, it is always three steps (emerald, diamond and pearl)...

six randoms are chosen first
STEP 1: one IV from hp/at/def/sA/sD/speed
STEP 2: one IV from at/def/sA/sD/speed
STEP 3: one IV from at/sA/sD/speed

the IV selected in a later step overwrites the previous -> if this happens you get less than 3 IVs, if a random IV matches an IV from its parents it´s impossible to tell whether it was chosen as inherited or as random, that´s why there´s the formulation "will inherit"

example: all random IVs are different than the IVs of the parents and in each step attack IV is selected, let´s say parent A attack in step 3, this would result in only one IV being passed - attack IV of parent A...

EDIT: to be more accurate, the parents pass 1-3 IVs, but it may seem like they pass more than 3 if the randoms match IVs of the parents
Well, that I didn't know. I was always under the impression that it was 3 IVs, one from one parent, and 2 from the other. I guess it makes sense as to why people think that though.

well i don't know what the hell i'm doing wrong, but i just can't get a friggin MAGIKARP that has both 31 attack and speed, despite the fact that the father has 31 attack and the mother 31 speed. i've hatched thousands of eggs. if they have high attack, they have low speed and vice verca. its so sad.
Don't forget natures lol

I spent 5 or 6 hours breeding for a female Jolly Gible with 31 attack. This will be the final Gible's grandma.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)