Want to see your Original sprites on the X-Box Live Arcade?

Damn dude! You went a little crazy last night, eh!? Didn't feel like sleeping?!

These all look pretty great for the most part! We may need to work on some of the poses a little bit before we move to sprite stage (parrots may be too compact to translate well to sprites.) but the concepts themselves are very cool. I laughed my ass off at the back half of the catfish just being a question mark, lol.

The only concept I think we could revisit would be the Platypuses. The fish tail and glasses just do not seem to be working for me. In RL platypuses have poison spines maybe we could work that in, make the adult look kind of menacing. I dunno, let's just play with that one.

Great work as usual dude! Thanks for all the hard work!

No, I would not say that long dead animals are off the list (we already have several dinosaurs) but I think we would really like to the Platypus on the list.

No problem, dude. We are all busy these days.

If no one else steps up would you be willing to dust off your pixelated brush and take a crack at a few sprites? You were one of the best there ever was, I am sure it will come back to you, lol.

Hey, I personally love this idea. I tried spriting for this earlier but I never really got to the level I could make my own good looking sprites. I can now, but there's no way my work ethic could keep in pace with other spriters, so I don't think I could help you with complete recreations of concepts. I can however do quality control, I can add features, slightly re-edit, etc., and just keep in my general input. If there's any sprites you want me to QC that only need limited help, just let me know.

I appoligize for taking so long to respond, ill work on the platy tomarrow, then ill move onto the fire. Anyone working on sprites?
I've been working on the fire armadillo lizard, actually it's finished but on my other computer. And have been busy these days with school.
Next week i'll have more time to sprite and i will work out your drawings Doran! Which one do you prefer first Jon?

Sorry for not posting here.

This seems like an interesting idea; unfortunately, I'm not that great at spriting (I'm improving, though, especially with shapes).
Hey, I personally love this idea. I tried spriting for this earlier but I never really got to the level I could make my own good looking sprites. I can now, but there's no way my work ethic could keep in pace with other spriters, so I don't think I could help you with complete recreations of concepts. I can however do quality control, I can add features, slightly re-edit, etc., and just keep in my general input. If there's any sprites you want me to QC that only need limited help, just let me know.
One part of this project that does not get much attention is our need for overworld sprites. I had to really dig to find the original post but I have included it below. They should take less time than full sprites and allow those who do not have much time or simply do not have the confidence to attempt full sprites a chance to contribute if they want.

"I know making a sprite is tough work and all the details and such that go into it and that that takes alot of time. I was thinking though that since our creatures are all going to be visible in the overworld that we are going to need to make overworld sprites for all of them! This is something that I was just going to do but I figured some of you might actually be able to find time to make some of these tiny little guys.

We would need 3 views: FRONT - BACK - SIDE

Overworld Sprite Sizes:
Adult: 32x32 (pixels)
Juvenile: 20x20 (pixels)"

I've been working on the fire armadillo lizard, actually it's finished but on my other computer. And have been busy these days with school.
Next week i'll have more time to sprite and i will work out your drawings Doran! Which one do you prefer first Jon?

Sorry for not posting here.
No problem, dude. As I was saying before, we are all busy so no apologies are necessary. I don't want you guys, epsecially those of you who have stuck with me through this whole thing, to feel like this is some obligation. Just come hang out and have fun spriting. We are all friends here, lol.

I am very excited to see your rendition of the Fire armadillo lizard! As for water concepts to get going on... I think the crabs and the snails are probably good the way they are but if you wanted to take a crack at the parrots or cats that would be good. The parrots would need to be reposed a bit though maybe. At least one of them need to get their wings up. Thanks!

That looks much better to me! Its not a huge change but I think it gets much closer to home. Thanks for taking another crack at it! :D

Alright. I made the fire rat, goat, and attempted fire wyvern turned shadow, but ill post them when I finish the whole fire line. Im glad you like the platypus though!

Alright. I made the fire rat, goat, and attempted fire wyvern turned shadow, but ill post them when I finish the whole fire line. Im glad you like the platypus though!
Sounds great, Doran! Can't wait to see your reimagining of all of those concepts! Just a note as you are working on the fire line, Dhjona has a Fire Armadillo sprite coming in today at some point I think so you might wait to draw that one up.

Also, just for curiosity's sake... do you have any more 'finished' examples of your work I could look at? Any subject matter is fine. I have been looking for someone who could potentially do some promotional art for the game and want to see what you can do, lol. No pressure!

Cool! Those look great!

Are you pursuing art as a career at all? Are you in college these days? I can't remember how old some of you guys are/were, lol.

Not sure why no one has noticed this, but the two water ducks both have shadows at the bottom while no other sprites do. It's an easy fix, but I think you should point out whether or not you need shadows. The adult atomic squid also looks as if it was saved as a jpeg, not a PNG. Same problem appears with the Metal Turtle(?). Someone can simply recreate the sprites to fix that. As for overworld sprites, that's a fantastic fit for me, however I just need your opinion on if I should release many at once, or have me do one juvenile or adult at a time? I'll probably begin work on them next week, most likely starting with the electric group.

Not sure why no one has noticed this, but the two water ducks both have shadows at the bottom while no other sprites do. It's an easy fix, but I think you should point out whether or not you need shadows. The adult atomic squid also looks as if it was saved as a jpeg, not a PNG. Same problem appears with the Metal Turtle(?). Someone can simply recreate the sprites to fix that. As for overworld sprites, that's a fantastic fit for me, however I just need your opinion on if I should release many at once, or have me do one juvenile or adult at a time? I'll probably begin work on them next week, most likely starting with the electric group.
These are all known issues but thank you for your attention to detail! Some sprites have a shadow underneath because they were some of the first sprites made and for whatever reason we threw some shadows on there. The Atomic Jellies and Metal Tortoises are, as you accurately pointed out, presented as .jpegs and not .pngs. This is because the artist who made them originally had a hardware malfunction and lost the original files for these sprites before they could send them to us. At that time, at the VERY beginning of the project, we were opperating out of facebook which converts all uploads to .jpegs and when they lost the files all we had left was what they had posted to our page there. The Jellies have actually been recreated, though I doubt I bothered to update the encyclopedia, but to my knowledge no one has taken a crack at recreating the tortoises. If you would like to please feel free! :D

As for the overworld sprites... feel free to do and post as many as you would like! We favor high productivity if it does not sacrifice quality. My only suggestion would be to work on OW sprites for creatures that are not slated to be redone as otherwise some of your work might become obsolete. For the most part those concepts that are outlined in grey in the encyclopedia (as opposed to red or yellow) should be safe to work on.

Thanks for your interest!

Before I go any farther, marks or no marks? I'm leaning towards marks because it stays with the actual concept, but I think it'd look odd to anyone who hasn't seen the large sprite first. I whipped this up very quickly, I also want feedback on the thickness of the snake. It feels off to me.

Before I go any farther, marks or no marks? I'm leaning towards marks because it stays with the actual concept, but I think it'd look odd to anyone who hasn't seen the large sprite first. I whipped this up very quickly, I also want feedback on the thickness of the snake. It feels off to me.
First off, this looks really good for a quick attempt! I did not get my measuring tape out but I am assuming this is the Juvenile? I do not think it looks weird with the marks so feel free to run with that if you would like. I do agree with you though that the thickness is a bit off. Mainly at the bottom of the 'neck' where the perspective changes. It seems to kink there as the view flips from bottom to top and it looks weird. Maybe play with that a bit. Otherwise it's a great sprite! Looking forward to the other views!

Here by the QC and a (sort of) revamp of the fire armadillo. You all may choose which one is better.

But I don't like them much. I think the lava on the back is too much. Too busy. What do you guys think?

I had a much better sprite but my computer gave me a blue screen and i didn't save -.-' I can't believe that this rookie mistake happent to me. And to be honest, right now i'm not in the mood to start all over with the new pose.

I'm now moving on to the water cats. Then the parrots. ;)

I think that cleans it up a lot better, and I like the first one better. It seems larger, and the juvenile looks like a very large creature as is.

I agree with @Homeslice that the first one looks better but I also agree with you that the back looks a little busy. I think you may have just made more work for yourself than you needed. What if we tried fewer veins of magma which would make bigger plates in between the veins?

Got front and back done, added the smoke thingy at the end of the tail I missed, and just double checking this looks a little bit smoother- I only made it a pixel wider but I think it looks a little better

Got front and back done, added the smoke thingy at the end of the tail I missed, and just double checking this looks a little bit smoother- I only made it a pixel wider but I think it looks a little better
These are both nice sprites but the back sprite is not quite right. It should represent what the front sprite looks like but from the back. In the front sprite the head is forward and the body is looped behind but in the back sprite the head is behind with the body looped in front. The position should not change as the view rotates.

Does that make sense?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)