Tauros in hot pursuit

TAUROS IN HOT PURSUIT

INTRODUCTION:
Hello Smogon, this is my third post (first post where I actually know what I'm talking about). I haven't had the chance to REALLY ladder but I've cracked 1500 within the first few hours of using this team. I built this team around Tauros. I was watching PokeaimMD and he brought out a Tauros and was talking about it and I realized that with the ability Intimidate, almost every physical sweeper is going to want to switch out. So I went on the computer and looked up pokemon with the ability Intimidate, the best attack, the move pursuit, and in NU. This is just a way of hitting those threats that you normally wouldn't be able to touch. Some people said it was gimmicky but others were surprised they had never heard of it before. So without giving away all the secrets in the introduction here is my team!

AT A GLANCE​

IN DETAIL​

Tauros @ Life rb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
~ Earthquake
~ Pursuit
~ Return
~ Rock Slide

DESCRIPTION:
This is where my team was built from. Who wants to stay in with half the attack? Basically if you switch out you get Pursuit, if you have Drifblim you get Rock Slide, and if you are staying in you get Return. It all just lies in your predictions. At first my Tauros was Choice Banded, that wasnt the best idea. Someone recommended a life orb and since then Tauros has become a better team mate. Its weakness to fighting is taken care of by Haunter but I don't bring Tauros in too much unless I absolutely have to because I don't want to spoil the surprise too early in the match, plus it helps more late game then it would in the beginning.

Haunter @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SPAtk / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
~ Substitute
~ Disable
~ Hidden Power [Fighting]
~ Giga Drain

DESCRIPTION:
Haunters my favorite on this team. I love the Sub Disable combo and Haunter has been my number 1 sweeper so far. This is the standard set with the exception of Giga Drain and that works really well. Haunter doesn't have the HP or defenses to boot so all the health he gets is for the better. I have come back from a couple 3+ to 1 situations with just Haunter. He is completely walled by Psychic types and Grass Types however. Haunter takes out the Guts Normal type sweepers after a few rounds of toxic damage and will take out Alomomola from pretty high health.

Electrode @ Choice Specs
Trait: Aftermath
Nature: Modest
~ Foul Play
~ Thunderbolt
~ Signal Beam
~ Hidden Power [Grass]

DESCRIPTION:
Electrode has been my 2nd most effective sweeper. He is usually my lead because he will out speed most things and lets be honest, who wants to take a Modest Specs Thunderbolt from an Electrode (or Hidden Power [Grass] for those Stealth Rockers). Signal Beam has been working pretty good as well, whereas Foul Play hasn't helped much. Before I was wondering why Electrode was still on my team, all he did was switch in and die, but I've realized that he shouldn't be switching in. So I made him my lead and switch in when I lose a pokemon (if it's a type friendly match up) and he's doing pretty well.

Murkrow @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SPDef
Nature: Impish
~ Roost
~ Thunder Wave
~ Feather Dance
~ Whirlwind

DESCRIPTION:
Murkrow has been a great support. Obviously it hasn't gotten me any kills but if you're going to tell me having shuffled paralyzed pokemon doesn't help net kills then you're lying. With prankster my moves go first so worst case scenario I paralyze 1 pokemon. I also can stop a Ninjask lead in its tracks with Murkrow. It also has surprising bulk, I forgot to put EVs on it today and it was still living atleast one hit every game. Feather Dance forces switches or just adds to Murkrows lifespan. Whirlwind is for taking out pokemon behind subs but it comes in handy for shuffling too.

Armaldo @ Choice Band
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 124 Spe
Nature: Adamant
~ Earthquake
~ Stone Edge
~ Super Power
~ X Scissor

DESCRIPTION:
I was recommended an Armaldo as a Rapid Spinner. So I figured most people will expect a Rapid Spin, BAM your ghost type is gone. I know this set isn't uncommon (it's the standard on smogon) but i like to think the element of surprise comes to play. This has gotten me the 3rd most kills on this team and it definitely pulls its weight. It seems to die pretty easily most times though.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SPDef
Nature: Calm
~ Earth Power
~ Stealth Rock
~ Scald
~ Knock Off
DESCRIPTION:

I was also recommended a specially defensive Seismitoad and it is wonderful. Its a special wall that sets up rocks, spreads burns, and knocks off the enemies item. Pokemon without items aren't as good as they would be with items (Obviously). All those pesky Eviolite walls in NU? Gone. I just have to make sure it doesn't get hit by grass moves.

Threat List
Against the 2 Metangs that I faced today I did horribly. If you hadn't noticed I don't have a fire move on this team making steel types named Metang and Wormadam incredibly hard to take out.
I don't really think water is a big threat to my team but it should be noted that I got swept by a Ludicolo and a Swords Dance Samurott today.
Roselia was harder than it should have been to take out also​

Heres the import
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Knock Off

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Return
- Rock Slide

Murkrow @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- FeatherDance
- Whirlwind

Haunter @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Giga Drain

Electrode @ Choice Specs
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Foul Play
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Armaldo @ Choice Band
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 HP / 4 Def / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- X-Scissor

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It's pretty cool that you make use of the Pursuit and Intimidate combo.

I've a few suggestions

For Haunter, I believe Giga Drain isn't very useful since a few extra HP won't be a big difference to such a frail Pokemon. Thus I believe you should replace Giga Drain and Shadow Ball with Sludge Bomb and Hidden Power Ground. Sludge bomb is another good STAB to work with and allows you to deal with Ludicolo after its been paralyzed by Murkrow. Along with HP Ground, it has great coverage in NU. HP Ground also let's you hit Skuntank on the switch harder than anything in your current set.

Secondly, since you say that Armaldo dies quickly, I believe you should replace Armaldo with a Shell Smash Torkoal. Smashkoal is a pretty underrated threat and does an excellent job at luring in Ghosts. As the opponent sends in his ghost, Shell Smash on the switch and kill it. The best part of this is that it can also spin away hazards or set up rocks as well as sweep. It also allows you to deal with Metangs and Roselias. (set below)

If you're running Smashkoal, then another special attacker isn't needed. The one I feel is most dispensable is Electrode. It's Speed is the only great thing about it and while it's Special Attack stat is by no means bad, it isn't great either (cliché statement, lol). I suggest you run a fast physical sweeper such as Choice Scarf Sawk. It boasts more power compared to Electrode and a scarf allows it to outspeed and revenge kill threatening Pokemon, much like Electrode. However, this makes your team slightly weaker to Misdreavus, so choose.

Next suggestion is optional and should only be done if you're running another Stealth Rocker. I suggest you replace your Seismitoad with a Specially Defensive Roselia. Since your team is able I force so many switches with Tauros, Haunter and Murkrow, Spikes support is a great way to spread residual damage and eases the pressure of your sweepers. Roselia can perform a similar role to Seismitoad except that it handles Sawk and Ludicolo better. The only downside is that Roselia makes your team weaker to Psychic-types, especially Scarf Gardevoir, so this last option is up to you.

Finally, something optional if you wanna keep Electrode but I would recommend switching out the Specs on Electrode for Life Orb. Switching moves is just great on Electrode and gives it more staying power.

Sets

Haunter @ Leftovers
~ Substitute
~ Disable
~ Sludge Bomb

Roselia @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
IVs: 0 Atk
~Spikes
~Giga Drain
~Aromatherapy / Sludge Bomb
~Rest

Torkoal @ White Herb / Life Orb
Trait: White Smoke / Shell Armour
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
~Shell Smash
~Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock
~Fire Blast
~Earth Power

Sawk @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
~Close Combat
~Stone Edge
~Earthquake
~Ice Punch

That's all folks. Heed my advice, or ignore it if you want

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is is interesting. I see several problems with it that can be solved by using a similar Pokemon for a few of the roles you already have.

First thing first, Haunter's set is terrible. You NEED Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, not Giga Drain and HP Fighting. You can consider HP Ground over Sludge Bomb if you are afraid of Skuntank, but I'll get to that later. Seismitoad also prefers Toxic over Knock Off, which lets it get around some annoying walls like Tangela, Musharna and Alomomola.

Murkrow is pretty much Taunt bait, and of no use to you if it is your last Pokemon. If you want a priority Thunder Wave, I'd recommend going with Liepard. It's annoyer(^-^) set is extremely difficult to beat, and it has Foul Play if you accidentally switch in on a Taunt. It fills a similar role to Murkrow in forcing switches as well, which is the best part of this change.

Electrode doesn't pull its weight on this team, at least on my test runs. A Scarf Rotom-S has MUCH more utility in that slot. Rotom-S also gives you a secondary check to Sawk, which is great since you have literally no safe switch-ins to MB Sawk. Being able to check Samurott and Gorebyss is another plus, since Water-types also have a field day with your team.

Armaldo provides absolutely nothing for your team. It is slow, not bulky enough, and its best STAB is easily stalled out. Life Orb Gardevoir provides a very nice utility attacker for your team. It has Destiny Bond to act as a lure for Skuntank, which combines with Focus Blast and Signal Beam to make Skuntank's life difficult. Trace gives Gardevoir the ability to revenge kill weakened Ludicolo and Seismitoad in the Rain, which you desperately want. Finally, it acts as another check to Sawk, which makes it less threatening to your team overall.

Changes

Haunter: Shadow Ball & Sludge Bomb>Giga Drain & HP Fighting
Seismitoad: Toxic>Knock Off
Liepard>Murkrow
Rotom-S>Electrode
Gardevoir>Armaldo

Haunter @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Knock Off

Liepard @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef / 168 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Gardevoir @ Life Orb
Trait: Trace
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond

Good luck laddering. Welcome to Smogon!

tauros / haunter / electrode / murkrow / armaldo / seismitoad

you were already given a good rate, but i want to take a slightly different route with the changes, so i'll offer my own suggestions.

you are actually very susceptible to a lot of things. the most troubling are water-types: samurott, ludicolo, gorebyss, and a few other ones. most carry some grass-type coverage move so seismitoad is a shaky check with its current spread. i can also see choice band sawk giving you a little bit of trouble. you have haunter, but its frailty makes it quite unreliable since it can only switch into close combat; everything else is OHKO'd with close combat after stealth rock. finally, well-played flying-types are definitely going to be a problem; despite you having electrode as a check, it cannot switch in safely at all.

i think the best thing to do here is to minimize opportunities for pokemon like ludicolo and gorebyss to set up so easily. toxic is a good idea on seisimtoad, but i also think that going with an offensive set with substitute and toxic will do several things for you. it outspeeds ludicolo and samurott, allowing you to hit them on the switch with the appropriate move and prevent them from being able to get away with a sweep so easily. seismitoad scores a 2HKO on samurott, so there is no way it is switching in safely, and ludicolo will suffer from toxic and can have some turns of rain stalled out with substitute.

of course, a different stealth rock user would be needed, but that's fine considering that i don't really see the point of choice band armaldo for the purposes of this team. yeah it can get a few surprise kills against slower pokemon, but it just doesn't offer anything to help the team with whatever its weak to. i think armaldo should be replaced with a pokemon that has a resistance to flying-type attacks. metang would be good here for a number of reasons. aside from checking flying-types, it gives you an actual switch-in to ice-type attacks so that you don't have to rely on taking hard hits to revenge kill something like offensive articuno or regice. it also offers a nice switch into many psychic-types thanks to a 4x resistance, which leads up to my next point.

with metang there to fulfill all these roles in one pokemon, there aren't many purposes for murkrow to fulfill on this team aside from an emergency thunder wave. there are several ways to go about it, and you can even keep murkrow if you really want to, but i think the gardevoir set that was already recommended would work here. it works nicely alongside haunter and metang while offering to check sawk and swift swim or chlorophyll pokemon in their respective weathers.

as for other suggestions, i'll agree with the rotom-s and haunter set changes already mentioned. the former really gives a much needed ground resistance since sawk could easily get KOs with earthquake otherwise, while the latter simply just gives haunter good attacking options.

summary:
tauros / sludge bomb and shadow ball hp fighting and giga drain haunter / choice scarf rotom-s electrode / life orb gardevoir murkrow / metang armaldo / offensive current seismitoad

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Toxic

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
you might want to try out stone edge over rock slide on tauros since the latter is pitifully weak without a boost from sheer force, missing out on the ohko against drifblim with no investment in defense. other than that, whitedmist covered most things very well, i would definitely take his suggestions.

It's pretty cool that you make use of the Pursuit and Intimidate combo.

I've a few suggestions

For Haunter, I believe Giga Drain isn't very useful since a few extra HP won't be a big difference to such a frail Pokemon. Thus I believe you should replace Giga Drain and Shadow Ball with Sludge Bomb and Hidden Power Ground. Sludge bomb is another good STAB to work with and allows you to deal with Ludicolo after its been paralyzed by Murkrow. Along with HP Ground, it has great coverage in NU. HP Ground also let's you hit Skuntank on the switch harder than anything in your current set.

Secondly, since you say that Armaldo dies quickly, I believe you should replace Armaldo with a Shell Smash Torkoal. Smashkoal is a pretty underrated threat and does an excellent job at luring in Ghosts. As the opponent sends in his ghost, Shell Smash on the switch and kill it. The best part of this is that it can also spin away hazards or set up rocks as well as sweep. It also allows you to deal with Metangs and Roselias. (set below)

If you're running Smashkoal, then another special attacker isn't needed. The one I feel is most dispensable is Electrode. It's Speed is the only great thing about it and while it's Special Attack stat is by no means bad, it isn't great either (cliché statement, lol). I suggest you run a fast physical sweeper such as Choice Scarf Sawk. It boasts more power compared to Electrode and a scarf allows it to outspeed and revenge kill threatening Pokemon, much like Electrode. However, this makes your team slightly weaker to Misdreavus, so choose.

Next suggestion is optional and should only be done if you're running another Stealth Rocker. I suggest you replace your Seismitoad with a Specially Defensive Roselia. Since your team is able I force so many switches with Tauros, Haunter and Murkrow, Spikes support is a great way to spread residual damage and eases the pressure of your sweepers. Roselia can perform a similar role to Seismitoad except that it handles Sawk and Ludicolo better. The only downside is that Roselia makes your team weaker to Psychic-types, especially Scarf Gardevoir, so this last option is up to you.

Finally, something optional if you wanna keep Electrode but I would recommend switching out the Specs on Electrode for Life Orb. Switching moves is just great on Electrode and gives it more staying power.

Sets

Haunter @ Leftovers
~ Substitute
~ Disable
~ Sludge Bomb

Roselia @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
~Spikes
~Giga Drain
~Aromatherapy / Sludge Bomb
~Rest

Torkoal @ White Herb / Life Orb
Trait: White Smoke / Shell Armour
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
~Shell Smash
~Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock
~Fire Blast
~Earth Power

Sawk @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
~Close Combat
~Stone Edge
~Earthquake
~Ice Punch

That's all folks. Heed my advice, or ignore it if you want
@scorpdestroyer@ I like the HP Ground and Shell Smash Torkoal but thanks to the other reviews I think I will be getting rid of my Electrode and SPDef Seismitoad set.

This is is interesting. I see several problems with it that can be solved by using a similar Pokemon for a few of the roles you already have.

First thing first, Haunter's set is terrible. You NEED Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb, not Giga Drain and HP Fighting. You can consider HP Ground over Sludge Bomb if you are afraid of Skuntank, but I'll get to that later. Seismitoad also prefers Toxic over Knock Off, which lets it get around some annoying walls like Tangela, Musharna and Alomomola.

Murkrow is pretty much Taunt bait, and of no use to you if it is your last Pokemon. If you want a priority Thunder Wave, I'd recommend going with Liepard. It's annoyer(^-^) set is extremely difficult to beat, and it has Foul Play if you accidentally switch in on a Taunt. It fills a similar role to Murkrow in forcing switches as well, which is the best part of this change.

Electrode doesn't pull its weight on this team, at least on my test runs. A Scarf Rotom-S has MUCH more utility in that slot. Rotom-S also gives you a secondary check to Sawk, which is great since you have literally no safe switch-ins to MB Sawk. Being able to check Samurott and Gorebyss is another plus, since Water-types also have a field day with your team.

Armaldo provides absolutely nothing for your team. It is slow, not bulky enough, and its best STAB is easily stalled out. Life Orb Gardevoir provides a very nice utility attacker for your team. It has Destiny Bond to act as a lure for Skuntank, which combines with Focus Blast and Signal Beam to make Skuntank's life difficult. Trace gives Gardevoir the ability to revenge kill weakened Ludicolo and Seismitoad in the Rain, which you desperately want. Finally, it acts as another check to Sawk, which makes it less threatening to your team overall.

Changes

Haunter: Shadow Ball & Sludge Bomb>Giga Drain & HP Fighting
Seismitoad: Toxic>Knock Off
Liepard>Murkrow
Rotom-S>Electrode
Gardevoir>Armaldo

Haunter @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Knock Off

Liepard @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef / 168 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Gardevoir @ Life Orb
Trait: Trace
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond

Good luck laddering. Welcome to Smogon!

@WhiteDMist@ I see everyone saying Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb are better but why? They have 3 super effective advantages to 5 resistances while Giga Drain and HP Fighting have 7 super effective advantages to 8 resistances. Even HP Ground has better coverage. Is this set more useful because of STAB? Also is the wear down of Toxic really better than the removal of Eviolite? Other than that I am definitely replacing my Electrode with Scarf Rotom-S and replacing my Armaldo, just not sure whether i want to replace it with Liepard or Gardevoir.

tauros / haunter / electrode / murkrow / armaldo / seismitoad

you were already given a good rate, but i want to take a slightly different route with the changes, so i'll offer my own suggestions.

you are actually very susceptible to a lot of things. the most troubling are water-types: samurott, ludicolo, gorebyss, and a few other ones. most carry some grass-type coverage move so seismitoad is a shaky check with its current spread. i can also see choice band sawk giving you a little bit of trouble. you have haunter, but its frailty makes it quite unreliable since it can only switch into close combat; everything else is OHKO'd with close combat after stealth rock. finally, well-played flying-types are definitely going to be a problem; despite you having electrode as a check, it cannot switch in safely at all.

i think the best thing to do here is to minimize opportunities for pokemon like ludicolo and gorebyss to set up so easily. toxic is a good idea on seisimtoad, but i also think that going with an offensive set with substitute and toxic will do several things for you. it outspeeds ludicolo and samurott, allowing you to hit them on the switch with the appropriate move and prevent them from being able to get away with a sweep so easily. seismitoad scores a 2HKO on samurott, so there is no way it is switching in safely, and ludicolo will suffer from toxic and can have some turns of rain stalled out with substitute.

of course, a different stealth rock user would be needed, but that's fine considering that i don't really see the point of choice band armaldo for the purposes of this team. yeah it can get a few surprise kills against slower pokemon, but it just doesn't offer anything to help the team with whatever its weak to. i think armaldo should be replaced with a pokemon that has a resistance to flying-type attacks. metang would be good here for a number of reasons. aside from checking flying-types, it gives you an actual switch-in to ice-type attacks so that you don't have to rely on taking hard hits to revenge kill something like offensive articuno or regice. it also offers a nice switch into many psychic-types thanks to a 4x resistance, which leads up to my next point.

with metang there to fulfill all these roles in one pokemon, there aren't many purposes for murkrow to fulfill on this team aside from an emergency thunder wave. there are several ways to go about it, and you can even keep murkrow if you really want to, but i think the gardevoir set that was already recommended would work here. it works nicely alongside haunter and metang while offering to check sawk and swift swim or chlorophyll pokemon in their respective weathers.

as for other suggestions, i'll agree with the rotom-s and haunter set changes already mentioned. the former really gives a much needed ground resistance since sawk could easily get KOs with earthquake otherwise, while the latter simply just gives haunter good attacking options.

summary:
tauros / sludge bomb and shadow ball hp fighting and giga drain haunter / choice scarf rotom-s electrode / life orb gardevoir murkrow / metang armaldo / offensive current seismitoad

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Toxic

@Ium@ I wasn't thinking of the other pokemons moveset when I said I thought water types weren't a problem, also when I said Haunter was a good fighting type switch in. Either way I am really liking the offensive Seismitoad set and Scarf Rotom-S. I am somewhat torn between Metang/Shell Smash Torkoal and Gardevoir/Liepard. I've always liked the idea of using a Metang but I think with Torkoals reputation as a spinner could let it set up and sweep. With Liepard and Gardevoir I think Trace is a cool ability but whenever I've faced a Liepard I've lost. Also with Haunter doesn't Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb restrict its coverage? Or is it the sheer SPAtk STAB that ignores the resistances?

you might want to try out stone edge over rock slide on tauros since the latter is pitifully weak without a boost from sheer force, missing out on the ohko against drifblim with no investment in defense. other than that, whitedmist covered most things very well, i would definitely take his suggestions.

@FLCL@ The only reason I don't have Stone Edge is because i didn't see it when i made the Tauros. Thanks for pointing that out.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb are STAB and far outdamage Giga Drain and HP Fighting on anything neutral. Giga Drain is really weak and is pretty easily resisted, while HP Fighting is weaker and fails to KO most things. At least Ground can damage Skuntank, though it won't KO. STAB is always important, and Haunter can truly make the most of its STAB since only Steel types can reliably switch in on it. Don't get fooled by the words "It's Super Effective!", since sometimes a strong STAB neutral move is more useful than a super-effective weak move against most of the metagame. ie- a neutral STAB Sludge Bomb is only 5 base points weaker than a super-effective Hidden Power on a target Look through the StrategyDex more to learn this stuff, it'll be a great help in getting you better ladder scores.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I did some calcs

252 SpA Haunter Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 220 SpD Skuntank: 156-184 (44.95 - 53.02%) -- 88.28% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

However

252 SpA Haunter Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 220 SpD Skuntank: 75-88 (21.61 - 25.36%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Haunter Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 220 SpD Skuntank: 66-78 (19.02 - 22.47%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock

HP Ground is ESSENTIAL for you to 2HKO Skuntank. With SubDisable, it's easier (switch if Pursuit is disabled, attack if Sucker Punch is disabled) since you can HP Ground on the switch and act accordingly. Also, Sludge Bomb > Shadow Ball if you run HP Ground so you can actually do shit to Braviary and co.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
Again, that's what Gardevoir and even Seismitoad are for: luring and beating Skuntank so that it doesn't trouble the rest of your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)