Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer - Pokemon Showdown! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple question: Are the people titled "Gym Leader" in the PS lobby actually like an elite group of people verified by some PS elite, or are they just people who call themselves gym leaders. Cause if it's the first one I wanna be a leader, I got the most dope normal team eva.

Mr. Uncompetitive

That was when it all began.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Simple question: Are the people titled "Gym Leader" in the PS lobby actually like an elite group of people verified by some PS elite, or are they just people who call themselves gym leaders. Cause if it's the first one I wanna be a leader, I got the most dope normal team eva.
The latter, there is no such official league/group like that in PS! and there never will be.

Is it possible to change the password of a profile or to delete a profile? How do we do it? We don't know how to elaborate the question.

Anyone had any luck getting it to run on Heroku? I had it running once, can't seem to get it working now though.

Edit: I believe I have it fixed, remove "node_modules" from gitignore and run "npm install". Also, remove the config directory from gitignore too.

also, whatever the log says, connect to port 80.

It is running, but crashing due to it being read only and not being able to write logs.

Now I am getting no errors, but I can't login. I enter my password and my sessions expires instantly

Apparently I need a server token to access the login database.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Now I am getting no errors, but I can't login. I enter my password and my sessions expires instantly

Apparently I need a server token to access the login database.
It's not necessary to register a token with us in order to use the login database.

This error is probably caused by not setting a value for `tokenhosts` in config/config.js. If your server is hosted on a domain example.com, you should add 'example.com' to `tokenhosts` in config/config.js.

If you pull the latest commits, the error message will be more informative.

In addition, with the latest commits, you also have the option of setting tokenhosts to an empty array (exports.tokenhosts = [];), which will cause the server to accept the hostname in the first token sent to it.

It's not necessary to register a token with us in order to use the login database.

This error is probably caused by not setting a value for `tokenhosts` in config/config.js. If your server is hosted on a domain example.com, you should add 'example.com' to `tokenhosts` in config/config.js.

If you pull the latest commits, the error message will be more informative.

In addition, with the latest commits, you also have the option of setting tokenhosts to an empty array (exports.tokenhosts = [];), which will cause the server to accept the hostname in the first token sent to it.
Thank you, it works now.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I hope this isn't like the stupidest question ever, but when you type /rank, what do ACRE, GXE, and Glicko2 mean?

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I hope this isn't like the stupidest question ever, but when you type /rank, what do ACRE, GXE, and Glicko2 mean?
ACRE is your Conservative Rating Estimate, GXE is your Glicko X-Act Estimate which is the chance to win against a random foe and Glicko2 is a rating system that takes into account the estimate of how good you might be.

Next time you might as well visit the sim's FAQ where this and other similar questions are answered :)

Minimodding

I've been a voiced member on Pokemon Showdown for about a month now, but I'm still a bit confused about minimodding. I've always known users shouldn't ask for someone to be banned or muted, because that's the job of moderators. However, I didn't know users were also discouraged from telling other users to use less caps, bold, etc.

Following the examples of other voices, I have been trying to warn users before they get banned/muted. Of course, I don't bother with malicious spammers; moderators take care of them quickly. I usually only warn people who I believe will listen. Some people do listen and will reply with an "ok" to my warnings.

No one has ever reprimanded me for this, but today I noticed a mod kick a regular user for doing this. Are we not allowed to warn other users? No one's ever informed me of this. I apologize if I've been disrupting the chat!

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Minimodding was actually a point of contention the last time we revised the rules. There's no "official" definition of minimodding (it's not like it's in a real dictionary), and Urban Dictionary defines it as "someone who isn't a moderator but tells other people how to conduct themselves", but I've heard other people say that telling others things are against the rules is fine as long as you don't threaten muting/banning.

So the simple answer is: we haven't really decided whether or not that's okay.

The rules are currently worded to be unclear, too... :/

I guess I'll make an executive decision and say that warning (but obviously not threatening mutes/bans) is okay for voices.

Does showdown actually have music implemented? I don't hear anything while playing, and when viewing replays, there is no music option available to toggle on or off.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Does showdown actually have music implemented? I don't hear anything while playing, and when viewing replays, there is no music option available to toggle on or off.
It does, but I think the music requires Flash on desktop browsers.

Question: How are the win/loss totals calculated? I looked up some top players for the Random Battle ladder, but they've only seemed to have played about 200 games total in a particular format. Is it supposed to be this way?

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
Question: How are the win/loss totals calculated? I looked up some top players for the Random Battle ladder, but they've only seemed to have played about 200 games total in a particular format. Is it supposed to be this way?
Well win/loss are calculated by simply adding up the number of wins vs the number of losses on a name, however these have little to do with the actual ladder ranking. Someone with 30 games can easily be the same rank as someone with 3000, its more who win win and lose against then how many times you win or lose.

I meant to say, have top players like Great Sage only played 300 ranked matches total? Because I just started playing, and I've played 40 matches over the weekend.

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
I meant to say, have top players like Great Sage only played 300 ranked matches total? Because I just started playing, and I've played 40 matches over the weekend.
Yes and no. Taking Great Sage as an example, he has played around 300 games on that name since the last ladder restart (which was a couple months ago). He may have played additional games using other names or before that last restart.

Yes and no. Taking Great Sage as an example, he has played around 300 games on that name since the last ladder restart (which was a couple weeks ago). He may have played additional games using other names or before that last restart.
How often does the ladder restart then?

A question that is coming up with the redo of Raikou's analysis, as well as other things. Wild Eep* said the following in this thread:
Wild Eep said:
It has recently come to my attention that the genies and gen 4 mascots (this includes Ho-Oh and Lugia) you obtain via the Dream Radar only come in Dream Balls. Coupled with the fact these Pokemon are not catchable in Dream Balls otherwise, this means in wi-fi battles, a player can tell if the Tornadus/Thundurus/Landorus his or her opponent sends out came from the Dream Radar or not, and thus consequently whether it has its hidden ability or not (The gen 4 mascots are irrelevant since you know whether or not they have Pressure anyway).

The reason I bring this up is that in wi-fi, players can tell immediately after Landorus is sent out if it has Sheer Force (Dream Ball) or Sand Force (not Dream Ball), and this takes away a lot of the surprise factor present with Landorus in simulator battles.

I think that this may be the point at which it makes sense for the sim to implement Pokeball in some manner. I'm not sure what the best way would be, but it might be worthwhile to put a Pokeball icon to the left of the Pokemon's name (like what the game does with wild Pokemon when you've already caught the species).

I wonder what the community thinks is the best course of action.
Given that this can be incredibly important in an actual battle in terms of prediction, and is an aspect of the games that exist, this legality issue as well as event-Pokemon shininess needs to be included in Showdown battles. For instance, I've come across countless Landorus-I that I can't currently determine if it has Sand Force or Sheer Force, which changes my switch-in/counter drastically. The Cherish Ball animation would give me that information. When I'm faced with a Raikou, shiny or not, I still have to take into account if it has Aura Sphere/Weather Ball or not when it should be restricted to Shiny (Rash) Raikou.

When are these legality issues going to be implemented into PS? Or are they already in progress?

I'm asking here to make sure that the two parties of the "Policy People" and the "Showdown People" are in touch. This seems like an issue to bring up in the PS section instead of the Policy Review section where it currently lies.

Help with Pokemon Showdown ladder

I currently have an uber ACRE of 2045 however, I havn't played that many games yet. Does anyone know how many games or what else i have to do to get my name onto the leader-board?
(i think i should be 5th right now)

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I currently have an uber ACRE of 2045 however, I havn't played that many games yet. Does anyone know how many games or what else i have to do to get my name onto the leader-board?
(i think i should be 5th right now)
hey, i moved your thread into here as it's more fitting and your post didn't warrant its own thread.

you need a deviation of less than 100 (deviation is the + or - part after your glicko2 score) to appear in the top 100. that (from memory) takes about 30 battles but i can't remember for sure.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I haven't been able to access Showdown for about three days now. Is the site down for everyone, or is it just me? If it is just me, what should/can I do to fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)